Thread: Black Panther Pounces on Social Justice Warriors

Black Panther Pounces on Social Justice Warriors

I haven't seen the movie but after reading this review I might.
    Have any of you seen it? What are your thoughts?

https://www.thenewamerican.com/revie...stice-warriors

Even before it was released Black Panther took the collective intellectual elite imagination by storm. The intellectual Left hailed it as the great hope of African American cinematic liberation. The intellectual Right rolled its eyes, perhaps expecting a racist screed against the more melanin challenged among us. They had reason to be worried based on how the Left chose to frame the pre-release discussion. How many of these people actually read the comic book, I have no idea.

I have not, and the film was hardly on my radar until Ben Shapiro did a piece on Emily Lakdawalla, the senior editor of some planetary science rag. She tweeted one of those questions you assume must be a parody for its sheer idiocy — until you realize, “Oh. She was serious.” She asked if, you know, being white and all, would it suck “black joy” out of the theater to see the movie before the second weekend. Just to be clear, I most certainly did not suck anyone's “black joy” out of the theater, having seen the film a week after its release. I would also like to take a bite of a candy bar called “Black Joy” one day. It sounds delightful. But I digress. The only question that really matters — is Black Panther worth your hard earned scratch?
    To that question, I'd have to give a resounding yes.

Black Panther is a solid, above-average superhero flick. Whew. I'm so glad I'm not racist. If you like superhero flicks, especially of the Marvel variety, you should do yourself a favor and check it out. It's bright, it's flashy, and it adds enough trappings of newness to stand on its own two feet among the seemingly never-ending Pantheon of superhero movies.
    The titular hero's suit has the capability to store the kinetic energy of any force applied to it (kicks, bullets, falls, etc.) and then release that energy on command, acting like a kinetic wave bomb. It's a cool gimmick. But Black Panther also manages to be a bit more than just your average superhero bag of tricks. It manages to explore some deeper themes of national allegiance, ancestry, tradition, race, and culture.
    It suffers a bit from cinematographic ADD in the beginning with a flurry of character introductions that is handled a tad clumsily. But this is in no way enough to derail the film's merits as an entertaining and thoughtful piece of cinema, and the film stays remarkably focused for a modern superhero flick. The acting is pretty top notch with the highlights coming from Winston Duke as M'Baku (an exhilarating embodiment of jovial barbarism), Andy Serkis as Klaue (he ain't white, he's chameleon), and Letitia Wright as Shuri (she's got cute, kid-sister down). Aside from some minimal stodgy, “superhero-y” writing forced upon the cast, all the performances are top notch.
    The story centers around Prince T'Challa aka the Black Panther, played by Chadwick Boseman. He rules over the fictional nation of Wakanda, a central African country that the rest of the world believes is a third world country who's primary contribution to world affairs is sheep. All is not as it appears to be, however. Through access to a rare and powerful mineral called Vibranium and through a rare plant given to the first king of the Wakandans by a goddess, the Wakandans are able to hide their hyper-advanced civilization from the outside world and keep it protected. It is a trope familiar to those who have seen Wonder Woman.
    It is against this backdrop — a walled off, homogeneous, isolationist nation — that the film explores its themes.
    There is a single line around which the thematic elements of the film hinge. A Wakandan who had been raised in America chooses death over what he views as bondage. He wishes to die “like his ancestors who chose to jump to their deaths off slave ships.” However, the fictional Wakandans were never part of the slave trade. This man's ancestors weren't slaves from other African nations but Wakandans. Yet he chooses to identify with black people all around the world based solely on skin color and assumes a shared history that is non-existent. The Wakandans, however, view the world through the lens of Wakandan culture — not race and not Africa. They are a culturalist people.
    The film espouses the idea that a shared color of skin means nothing more than a different color of skin. The film is entirely anti-racist, whether from a black supremacist, white supremacist, or blue supremacist view — it is the Marvel Universe. I'm sure there are blue supremacists somewhere in it.
    As it turns out both the Left and the Right were both a bit right and a bit wrong about Black Panther. The Left was correct to hail the film as important for the African American community. Many in the African American community feel empowered by seeing an almost entirely black cast duke it out on screen in a superhero movie. The Left was wrong to push Black Panther as some sort of savior of black cinema, however. Doing so minimized many that came before Black Panther, including Blade, Storm, Hancock, and other black superhero characters. They were also very wrong in assuming that it would validate any idea of radical equality.
    The Right was correct to roll their eyes at the Left's framing of the discussion. They were wrong to assume that the film would be an unthoughtful Social Justice Warrior (SJW) vehicle because it is anything but. As with any film, no viewer is likely to agree with everything but there is much to like here for any reasonable person.
    Superhero stories tend to eschew any attempts to interpret them through a lens of radical equality. How much more unequal can you get than a superhero — someone who has near total individual agency over his actions via super powers. The SJW crowd should not have been surprised that Black Panther would not fit neatly into their equality narratives. And judging by the box office ($320M one week in) they certainly won't be happy that the film they hoped would reinforce their ideals is reinforcing other ideals entirely. To that, we can all say, “Wakanda forever!”
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Meh, I have little to zero interest in CGI laden comic book movies.

Seriously tired of the "left" talking about "blacks"

Listening to NPR yesterday and. . . what the $#@! ?

Seriously. . . isn't what they are doing, textbook examples of what racism is ?

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I haven't seen it and won't.

Absolutely no interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Meh, I have little to zero interest in CGI laden comic book movies.
    I rather enjoyed the captain underpants movie. lego batman wasn't too bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Horse_Rider View Post
    Seriously. . . isn't what they are doing, textbook examples of what racism is ?
    You'll find the answer to your question at the 1:59 mark:

You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

A nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I rather enjoyed the captain underpants movie. lego batman wasn't too bad either.
    Yeah, you're right.

Let me re-phrase that: not interested in CGI movies that pass themselves off as live action.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I saw it with my sons and their friends (most of them white) the weekend it came out (it was their birthday weekend.) It was a GREAT movie! One of the best action films I've seen. Ben Shapiro had to admit, after he finally saw it, that he actually liked it too. All of the right wingers hating on it should actually see it. There were a few libertarian themes in the movie. Should Wakanda, which was walled off from the world, get involved in "humanitarian wars?" What about immigrants and refugees coming to Wakanda? Erik Kilmonger, the main villain in the film, got his military prowess being a CIA assassin in Iraq, Afghanistan and other countries. (Blowback anyone?) Should vibranium be traded with the outside world or kept secret? It was a good movie with far more questions than answer. I plan to see it again. Much better then the overtly anti-family agenda in Wonder Woman.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Spoiler:

A peaceful, prosperous and technologically advanced monarchy thrives because of absolute ironclad immigration restriction and mercantilism. Oh, and they happen to be sitting on a limitless of the most powerful substance in the universe.

Fun movie and transcends its genre. Perhaps the most well-crafted, dramatically compelling and lovingly envisioned of the Marvel movies. I wouldn't go there for applied political theory though.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I just don't give a $#@! anymore.

I still haven't seen the movie yet. I'll wait till its on demand (unless it already is).

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    I still haven't seen the movie yet. I'll wait till its on demand (unless it already is).
    Available on May 08, 2018 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079RLG83W/

https://www.thenewamerican.com/revie...stice-warriors
    I just noticed something about the New American article you posted. The author got the story wrong.

There is a single line around which the thematic elements of the film hinge. A Wakandan who had been raised in America chooses death over what he views as bondage. He wishes to die “like his ancestors who chose to jump to their deaths off slave ships.” However, the fictional Wakandans were never part of the slave trade. This man's ancestors weren't slaves from other African nations but Wakandans. Yet he chooses to identify with black people all around the world based solely on skin color and assumes a shared history that is non-existent. The Wakandans, however, view the world through the lens of Wakandan culture — not race and not Africa. They are a culturalist people.

Eric Kilmonger's father was Wakandan but his mother was African American which meant that his ancestors likely did come over on slave ships. So this author put a whole section in the article based on an imagined "fact" about the film. Oh well.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    I saw it with my sons and their friends (most of them white) the weekend it came out (it was their birthday weekend.) It was a GREAT movie! One of the best action films I've seen. Ben Shapiro had to admit, after he finally saw it, that he actually liked it too. All of the right wingers hating on it should actually see it. There were a few libertarian themes in the movie. Should Wakanda, which was walled off from the world, get involved in "humanitarian wars?" What about immigrants and refugees coming to Wakanda? Erik Kilmonger, the main villain in the film, got his military prowess being a CIA assassin in Iraq, Afghanistan and other countries. (Blowback anyone?) Should vibranium be traded with the outside world or kept secret? It was a good movie with far more questions than answer. I plan to see it again. Much better then the overtly anti-family agenda in Wonder Woman.
    I haven't seen it yet but my sons did and they gave it mixed reviews. My oldest son is a huge BP fan and he was a bit disappointed. He just said the books are better but he did like the way the BP and the bald chick (I forgot her name) were played. He felt like they were true to character. Number two son hasn't read much BP and he loved the movie.

BTW, if you liked BP, you should see Infinity War. The BP and Wakanda are an important part of the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.