Thread: Vitamin D cannot be metabolized without sufficient magnesium levels, review finds

Vitamin D cannot be metabolized without sufficient magnesium levels, review finds

There is a caveat to the push for increased Vitamin D: Don't forget magnesium.
    A review published in The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association found Vitamin D can't be metabolized without sufficient magnesium levels, meaning Vitamin D remains stored and inactive for as many as 50 percent of Americans.
    "People are taking Vitamin D supplements but don't realize how it gets metabolized. Without magnesium, Vitamin D is not really useful or safe," says study co-author Mohammed S. Razzaque, MBBS, PhD, a professor of pathology at Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine.
    Razzaque explains that consumption of Vitamin D supplements can increase a person's calcium and phosphate levels even if they remain Vitamin D deficient. The problem is people may suffer from vascular calcification if their magnesium levels aren't high enough to prevent the complication.

While the recommended daily allowance for magnesium is 420 mg for males and 320 mg for females, the standard diet in the United States contains only about 50 percent of that amount. As much as half of the total population is estimated to be consuming a magnesium-deficient diet.

More at: https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...iew-finds.aspx
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Vitamin A, D, K, Boron and Magnesium.

Reference:
    https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/abou...-and-minerals/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Part of a balanced diet. Too bad Big Phood (pharmaceutical food) expects people to eat cheap filling garbage and wont contribute, for the most part. Thus, its good why we educate ourselves and share what we learn.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    A review published in The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association found Vitamin D can't be metabolized without sufficient magnesium levels, meaning Vitamin D remains stored and inactive for as many as 50 percent of Americans.
    "People are taking Vitamin D supplements but don't realize how it gets metabolized. Without magnesium, Vitamin D is not really useful or safe," says study co-author Mohammed S. Razzaque, MBBS, PhD, a professor of pathology at Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine.
    Razzaque explains that consumption of Vitamin D supplements can increase a person's calcium and phosphate levels even if they remain Vitamin D deficient. The problem is people may suffer from vascular calcification if their magnesium levels aren't high enough to prevent the complication.

While the recommended daily allowance for magnesium is 420 mg for males and 320 mg for females, the standard diet in the United States contains only about 50 percent of that amount. As much as half of the total population is estimated to be consuming a magnesium-deficient diet.

I'm glad you posted this. After reading it, I checked the milligram levels in my multi vitamin out of curiosity. It contained 400mg of vitamin D (100% recommended daily) and 50mg of magnesium (13% recommended daily). Which lead to me doing some reading and to discover that magnesium deficiencies are considered to correlate to Alzheimers, which due to family history is something I try very hard to be abreast of things to avoid or insure I'm getting.

I also found though that magnesium is actually pretty easy to maintain with simple diet of things that are pretty normal foods. Well, at least to me....I know we're all different in taste. But things like almonds, dark chocolate, avocado, spinach, and bananas all contain high levels of magnesium.
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato

Thanks Swordsmyth, this will help me a lot because I was taking Vitamin tablets blindly.. Please get us more information like this...

K-2 also
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post

Wanted to add to this post....

On my recent visit to our family provider, we had my blood work done. And sure enough my vitamin D levels were EXTREMELY low even though I take a 100% daily amount supplement plus foods and sunlight. I'm now taking a Calcium, Zinc, and Magnesium supplement as well as insuring I'm eating magnesium rich foods.

As an added bonus, my doctor explained how magnesium boosts the bodies serotonin levels which besides being a natural anti-depressant also helps with "pill sick" feelings for people like myself who have to take narcotics for chronic pain. Several times I'll have to take a hydrocodone not because I'm having a bad day but rather because my body starts to detox.

Also, I hope the above makes people consider that not all doctors are bad, and very much want to help their patients find ways to better their health with things besides pills and surgeries (they know I want to avoid a pain clinic at all costs, so they work with me on ways to do so). If your provider doesn't work with you this way, find a different one. There are plenty of good doctors out there.....you just have to be ready to look for them.
    Last edited by Intoxiklown; 03-13-2018 at 02:04 PM.
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato