Thread: Oakland mayor warns of Bay Area ICE sweeps

Oakland mayor warns of Bay Area ICE sweeps

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-wa...rea-ice-sweeps

Oakland, Calif., Mayor Libby Schaaf (D) warned city residents Saturday night of pending immigration raids in the Bay Area.

Schaaf cited information from “multiple credible sources” that Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) planned to conduct a sweep in California’s Bay Area, possibly as soon as the next day.

“We want residents to prepare, not panic. We understand ICE has used activity rumors in the past as a tactic to create fear; our intent is for our community to go about their daily lives without fear, but resiliency and awareness,” Schaaf said in a press release.

Schaaf said she was not aware of details regarding precise locations of any possible raid.

The statement about the potential raids included information on the obligations of school officials and business owners to protect immigrants.

The mayor’s warning comes two days after President Trump said he is considering pulling ICE agents out of California in response to the “sanctuary city” policies in effect across the state. Sanctuary cities block local law enforcement from enforcing federal immigration laws.

“If we ever pulled our ICE out, if we ever said, ‘hey, let California alone, let them figure it out for themselves,’ in two months they’d be begging for us to come back,” Trump said.

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra (D) said last month after a spike in rumors of increased immigration raids that state and federal law enforcement officials are expected to abide by California law, which provides protections to immigrants.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf tipped off immigrants about ICE raid and isn’t sorry she did

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...sorry-she-did/

By Meagan Flynn, February 28

Oakland mayor Libby Schaaf is a frequent critic of Donald Trump. She warned the city of a possible raid by ICE on Jan. 25.

On Tuesday night, just after completing a roundup of more than 150 suspected undocumented immigrants, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said it could have arrested more but for the actions of one person: Mayor Libby Schaaf of Oakland, Calif.

Schaaf learned of the Northern California ICE enforcement operation before it kicked off on Sunday and, in a controversial move, warned the immigrant community ahead of time.

On Saturday, saying she felt it was her moral and ethical duty, she stood in front of television cameras and announced that “multiple credible sources” had informed her that ICE would be making arrests across the Bay Area. She didn’t intend to panic the community, she said — only to protect it.

ICE Deputy Director Thomas D. Homan, however, had a different idea of what she was trying to do, saying on Tuesday that he believed some of the 864 “criminal aliens” that still remained at large “were able to elude us thanks to the mayor’s irresponsible decision.”

“Sanctuary jurisdictions like San Francisco and Oakland shield dangerous criminal aliens from federal law enforcement at the expense of public safety,” Homan said in a statement. “The Oakland mayor’s decision to publicize her suspicions about ICE operations further increased [risks] for my officers and alerted criminal aliens — making clear that this reckless decision was based on her political agenda with the very federal laws that ICE is sworn to uphold.”

Schaaf is unapologetic.

In an interview with The Washington Post on Tuesday, she explained that her decision to tip off immigrants stemmed from a deep disagreement with immigration enforcement under the Trump administration and a resistance to the administration’s enforcement efforts.

She had already made her defiance clear last month when she told reporters that she was willing to go to jail to defend Oakland’s “sanctuary city” policy of protecting immigrants who are in the country illegally and not cooperating with federal authorities to deport them. She said Tuesday that she was responding to a suggestion from Homan in January that the Justice Department should begin criminally charging California politicians who supported sanctuary jurisdictions. Politicians like her, she said.

Asked by The Post whether she considered herself part of “the resistance” movement — the unofficial title for left-leaning Americans who do not support the Trump administration — she responded with a resounding yes.

“I consider myself a law-abiding citizen. I consider myself a believer in an American democracy that moves towards a more just society. And I definitely consider myself part of the resistance,” she said.

As Schaaf decided whether to warn the community Saturday, she said she was thinking of the case of Maria Mendoza-Sanchez, a 46-year-old mother of four and nurse at an Oakland hospital, who, along with her husband, was deported to Mexico after more than 20 years in the United States. Neither she nor her husband had criminal records, as the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

Neither did roughly half of the suspected undocumented immigrants rounded up in ICE’s latest North California operation — which, Schaaf said, is what she had feared.

“Maria Mendoza-Sanchez and her husband are an example of a couple that, under the previous administration, were considered low-priority for deportation,” Schaaf said. “And under this administration they were ripped away from their family. I was absolutely thinking of them when I made the decision to share the [ICE enforcement] information. I think it’s my responsibility as a person in power and privilege to share the information I have access to, to make sure people know what their rights are.”

Schaaf had first started fighting against such deportations as a lawyer, before the idea of public office had even crossed her mind, she said.

After graduating from Loyola Law School in Los Angeles, the Oakland native started her career as a lawyer at Reed Smith, a large corporate law firm where she did some work on deportation cases on a pro bono basis. The last case she worked as a lawyer involved a Salvadoran man seeking political asylum, after he had seen his girlfriend raped by soldiers, Schaaf said, and after his home burned down in a fire that killed his baby.

“It’s part of what makes me have such deep respect for so many of the immigrants who come to Oakland,” she said, “who have been through unspeakable hardships. At the time I defended him, we were the exact same age — not even 30 years old — but had led such unbelievably different lives.”

Schaaf soon moved on to co-found a volunteer organization called Oakland Cares, which coordinated various public-service projects around the city, and to spearhead another volunteer group working on projects within Oakland public schools. She took her first job as a city official as an aide to the president of Oakland City Council.

She moved up to work as an aide to then-Mayor Jerry Brown, who went on to become governor, before successfully running for the city council herself. She ran successfully for mayor in 2014, garnering 63 percent of the vote.

Oakland, like its Bay Area neighbors Berkeley and San Francisco, is a bastion of progressive politics. Previous mayors, in addition to Brown, have included former Democratic Rep. Ronald V. Dellums and the first Asian American woman mayor of a major city, Jean Quan.

Under Schaaf’s administration, Oakland has raised the minimum wage to $12.25 an hour, developed the city’s first transportation department and created a “cradle-to-career” initiative designed to shepherd children born into poverty to college.

Her tenure has not been without controversy. Just after taking office in 2015, protesters with Black Lives Matter held a rally outside her house complaining that she was prioritizing meetings with scandal-entrenched police officials over meetings with Black Lives Matter advocates.

A year later, a group called the Anti-Police Terror Project called for her removal from office over those police scandals and escalating tensions between police and communities of color, saying Schaaf was not seeking solutions.

Just last month, another protest sprouted up outside her home, this one from homeless advocates saying Schaaf was not doing enough to further low-income housing, despite her administration saying it was a priority.

Schaaf said she has respected the viewpoints of those criticizing her.

“I’ve lived in Oakland my whole life, and Oakland has always been a center of social justice,” Schaaf said. “In Oakland, the level of activism is so high that anyone in a position of governmental authority is going to be questioned and challenged, and I celebrate that. It’s part of our democracy that people speak truth to power, and in Oakland, that is a particularly time-honored tradition.”

It was social justice that was on her mind when she tipped off the immigrant community about the ICE raids.

Schaaf has said that she consulted her legal counsel before deciding to act. Because she obtained the information from unofficial sources rather than through formal government channels, she doesn’t believe she obstructed justice or violated any law by speaking up.

Critics disagree. Tony Brass, a former federal prosecutor told CBS in San Francisco that “she’s on the threshold of obstruction of justice for doing what she did … because you put agents in danger. You put the police in danger and you put your neighbors in danger.”

Maricela Gutiérrez, executive director of the immigrant-advocacy organization SIREN, said that at first reactions within the immigrant community were mixed after Schaaf announced the raid. There had been panic, she said, and a lot of questions: How did the mayor get this information? How does she know it’s really going to happen?

Still, Gutierrez said, she and her colleagues took the opportunity to alert the community and provide resources about their legal rights if they were confronted by ICE.

“It really created a mass mobilization,” she said. “As advocates, we took [Schaaf’s warning] very seriously. When do you hear a mayor of a big city announcing that an ICE attack is going to happen? Never. If she’s saying that, it must be true.”

DOJ looking into possible obstruction charge against Oakland mayor who warned of ICE raid

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...-ice-raid.html

The Department of Justice is looking into whether Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf obstructed justice by warning Northern California residents of an impending raid by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

The agency’s acting director, Thomas Homan, told “Fox & Friends” Wednesday morning that the DOJ is “reviewing” whether Schaaf broke any laws by telling her constituents ICE would be raiding the area in order to arrest people violating federal immigration laws.

Acting ICE Director Thomas Homan said the Department of Justice is looking into whether Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf obstructed justice by warning that ICE officials would soon raid the Bay Area.

Schaaf, a Democrat, posted the warning to Twitter Saturday, writing that “multiple credible sources” told her the immigration agency was “preparing to conduct an operation in the Bay Area, including Oakland, starting as soon as” Sunday.

ICE arrested more than 150 people “in violation of federal U.S. immigration laws” in the San Francisco Bay Area following Schaaf’s warning, the agency said Tuesday.

Homan in a statement said that 864 illegal immigrants and public safety threats “remain at large in the community” and blamed Schaaf’s warning for their ability to dodge arrest.

“What she did is no better than a gang lookout yelling ‘police’ when a police cruiser comes in the neighborhood, except she did it to a whole community,” Homan told "Fox & Friends." "There's over 800 significant public safety threat criminals ... that we are unable to locate because of that warning, so that community's a lot less safe than it would've been."

The mayor stood by her controversial warning, with a follow-up tweet Tuesday stating that “It is Oakland’s legal right to be a sanctuary city and we have not broken any laws. We believe our community is safer when families stay together.”

The immigration sweep was the second in California since a statewide sanctuary law took effect last month. Agents arrested more than 200 people earlier this month in the Los Angeles area.

Libby Schaaf’s war on ICE may hold hidden dangers

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...n-12724596.php

March 3, 2018

Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf’s warning about federal immigration sweeps might look like a no-brainer on the local political front. After all, one poll of 500 Bay Area residents, by KPIX-5/Survey USA, found 48 percent approved of her heads up and just 34 percent turned thumbs down.

However, the same poll found that 61 percent said police should help federal authorities in cases involving undocumented immigrants suspected of committing violent crimes. Immigration and Customs Enforcement says about half the 232 people picked up in its sweeps last week had criminal records, though the agency didn’t say how many of those were violent criminals.

ICE also says hundreds of “criminal aliens and public safety threats” remain at large, and that some may have eluded capture because of Schaaf’s warning. There’s every reason for the feds to make the mayor look bad if one of those who got away goes on to murder someone.

Joe Tuman, a San Francisco State University communications studies professor who ran against Schaaf for mayor in 2014 and lost, says she could have accomplished her goal in a way that didn’t put “Oakland on ICE’s hit list.” He said quietly spreading the word to immigrant legal support groups would have been just as effective as her Saturday night news release.

City Councilman Noel Gallo, whose Fruitvale District is heavily Latino, agreed. He said annoying the feds isn’t in the city’s best interest.

“The gang MS-13 is operating in my area, and there are a lot of times that we need the FBI and the federal help,” he said.

Councilwoman Rebecca Kaplan, rumored to be considering a challenge to Schaaf from the left in this year’s election, tried to have it both ways. First she criticized the mayor for not taking the quiet approach. Then she said Schaaf’s critics on Fox News were “wrong ... to go after her.”

She’ll have a hard time outflanking Schaaf on the progressive front on this one. After all, in Oakland politics, standing up to President Trump and ICE is an easy win.

Mayor Schaaf’s office has been flooded with angry calls since she warned about ICE raids.

Mayor Schaaf’s office has been flooded with angry calls since she warned about ICE raids. Just listen.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/...s-just-listen/

March 4, 2018

OAKLAND — A Houston area man said he would laugh if she were killed by an illegal immigrant. Calling her a “dip” was the nicest description a Minnesotan could muster. Others called for “cuffing” the mayor. Or worse.

It’s been a week since Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf first tipped off the community to upcoming immigration raids, and her office phones have been ringing off the hook. On the front lines at the reception desk as calls came in from around the country, Khalil Corbin broke out a notepad and began keeping score.

The rough, subjective tally, as of Friday afternoon? Love her decision: 153. Hate it: 1,037.

“I’m surprised it’s not more,” said Joe Tuman, a San Francisco State University professor of political and legal communications and 2014 mayoral candidate. “It’s an emotional issue for them thanks to (Donald) Trump. Very likely people that would go to the trouble to email or call are the very same people that would tweet about this, which is the daily diet for the nutcase we have in the White House right now.”

The 1,190 calls, emails and voicemails, a few dozen of which were reviewed by this news agency, are another indication of how deeply Americans are divided on immigration. In a world in which anonymous comments flood social media, upset citizens will still sometimes pick up the phone. And while the angriest of them did not leave their name, others did and asked for a call back.

Like Debbie from Fresno and Fred from Illinois, who were polite in their criticism.

“I do not understand you protecting people who are not American citizens while you are abandoning the American citizens who put you in office,” Debbie said in a voicemail. “Why don’t you help the homeless instead? Clean up our streets, our country looks like an impoverished country in many ways.”

The first calls started before City Hall opened Monday, a day after Schaaf held a news conference to discuss what she said unnamed sources had told her: ICE planned to make arrests in the Bay Area. The volume of calls grew as word of Schaaf’s action spread via social media and was picked up by news outlets across the country. The phone was ringing off the hook after ICE announced Tuesday evening that it did in fact arrest 150 people and blamed the mayor’s announcement as the possible reason hundreds more eluded capture. (On Thursday, ICE updated the total arrested in the four-day sweep to 232.)

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Acting Director Thomas Homan said the mayor’s comments put agents and the public in danger, and likened Schaaf to a “gang lookout yelling police” when a patrol car enters a neighborhood.

When asked earlier this week about the criticism and the threats, the mayor was unapologetic, saying “that is the risk you run when you take elected office.”

While the threats are directed at Schaaf, her staffers are the ones picking up the phone. From behind the reception desk, Corbin, who works as a special assistant to the mayor, has spent nearly all of his shifts this week politely hearing out people calling from numerous area codes, from Southern California to the south and beyond. The mild-mannered Hayward resident said he hung up on only one caller, a woman who began making racist remarks after realizing the man she was talking to is black.

“I’d be on one call, there’d be three or four more coming at the same time,” said Corbin. On his desk was a stack of papers with tally marks under positive and negative. His co-worker, Rose Dong, scrolled through a cache of more than one hundred voicemails they hadn’t even listened to yet.

“I just tell them, thanks for calling and have a great day,” Corbin said. “People who are calling are in favor of America but if they put the same energy to homelessness, education and prison system issues, we would actually see a better America.”

One call came from Bill, who left his number.

“I really think your mayor is out of control like the rest of California,” he said in an expletive-filled voicemail from Texas. “ICE is going after criminals, if you don’t want to protect the citizens of America maybe you guys all ought to gather up and go to Mexico and live.”

A man from Minnesota broke out in laughter after calling the mayor an “idiot.” “What a joke of a mayor… Can you get any dumber? I guess she’s getting her 15 minutes of fame.”

An Ohio woman said she would never vote for Schaaf. Like many other callers, the unidentified woman blasted Schaaf for protecting undocumented immigrants over federal agents and the city of Oakland’s status as a sanctuary city. Another man who called from a Minnesota area code said, “I can’t wait till one of these great people you are protecting ends up killing somebody and it’s going to be on your head.”

On Wednesday, Corbin said he stopped answering calls. By Thursday, his colleague Dong helped catch up on the voicemails and noticed a shift: More calls defending Schaaf were pouring in.

“I think that decision took a lot of courage and absolutely reflects the values of our community, and, you know, it was the right thing to do,” one local man said in his voicemail. “I understand you’ve received a lot of criticism for it, I just want you to know you are absolutely representing the values of our Oakland community by working to protect all of our community members: documented, undocumented or otherwise.”

Schaaf spokesman Justin Berton said a handful of complimentary voicemails came from Spanish speakers.

“The mayor’s decision just meant a lot to people from… different cultures and backgrounds. Now that we are hearing their support, that means a lot to the staff,” Berton said.

A 510-area-code caller offered Schaaf congratulations.

“I am totally in favor of what she did,” the Oakland woman said, “and I don’t appreciate people calling from out of the area to tell her how to run our city.”
    Last edited by timosman; 03-05-2018 at 04:23 AM.

Schaaf learned of the Northern California ICE enforcement operation before it kicked off on Sunday and, in a controversial move, warned the immigrant community ahead of time.
    Wonder if she would warn the "taxpaying community" about upcoming IRS raids, or the "shooting community" about upcoming ATF raids?

Just another worthless, self loathing weak white Quisling.

Jewish mayor of Oakland defends decision to tip off community to immigration raid

Jewish mayor of Oakland defends decision to tip off community to immigration raid

https://www.jta.org/2018/03/04/news-...migration-raid

March 4, 2018

(JTA) — The Jewish mayor of Oakland defended her decision to warn the community in advance of an Immigration and Customs Enforcement raid in Northern California.

Mayor Libby Schaaf said Friday that she felt it was her duty to warn local residents of the impending raid, which ended two days earlier. Schaaf posted the warning on Twitter the previous weekend.

The tipoff allowed some 800 illegal immigrants to escape arrest, Thomas Homan, ICE’s acting director, told “Fox & Friends.” Homan said the Justice Department is looking into whether Schaaf obstructed justice.

The four days of raids last week in Northern California resulted in the arrest of about 230 people.

“I remain confident that my actions were both legal and moral,” Schaaf said Friday, the Bay City News reported. “I find it difficult to believe even in today’s America that informing people of their legal rights could be considered illegal.”

The mayor’s actions have escalated tensions between California officials and the Trump administration, The Associated Press reported. Oakland has declared itself a sanctuary city for illegal migrants.

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders at a news conference Thursday called the action “outrageous.”

‘I think it’s outrageous that a mayor would circumvent federal authorities and certainly put them in danger by making a move such as that,’ Sanders told reporters. She said Schaaf’s action was “under review,” without offering any other details.

I think they're doing this all wrong. We should be buying bus tickets for every illegal in the country to relocate to Oakland and watch it collapse under its own weight.

If I were president I'd shut down ICE but put half the money saved towards ensuring every illegal gets one last free ride to a sanctuary city of their choice, then wipe my hands of the issue.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 03-06-2018 at 01:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    I think they're doing this all wrong. We should be buying bus tickets for every illegal in the country to relocate to Oakland and watch it collapse under its own weight.

If I were president I'd shut down ICE but put half the money saved towards ensuring every illegal gets one last free ride to a sanctuary city of their choice, then wipe my hands of the issue.
    DJTvsg has mentioned the idea of pulling ICE out of Kalifornia........
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Why does she always look like she is about to cry?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post

Why does she always look like she is about to cry?

Many insane people have some piece of their sub-conscious that is greatly pained by the madness they inflict on themselves and others, the pain eventually surfaces and then they usually go on anti-depressants. (which often have a side effect of causing depression)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, who sparked national outrage when she undermined a federal immigration raid last month, worked with illegal-immigration activists before she warned the public about the raid-- a move that ICE said led to hundreds of illegals evading detention.

KPIX5 reports that Schaaf was in touch with Centro Legal de la Raza just hours before the announcement, giving her information on what employers should do in the case of an ICE raid.

That group, which did not respond to a request for comment from Fox News, is a nonprofit with a focus on providing legal services to those in the country illegally. It also appears to act as an advocacy group for illegal immigrants -- printing an “ICE Activity Hotline” on its website.

"Centro Legal has been at the forefront of efforts to curtail unlawful collaboration between local law enforcement agencies and federal immigration authorities in order to prevent unjust deportations and keep immigrant families together," the group's website says. It does not appear to be affiliated with UnidosUS -- formerly the National Council of La Raza.

According to KPIX5, Schaaf also spoke with a Catholic priest at St. Jarlath’s Church and Emma Paulino at Oakland Community Organizations. Paulino appeared with Schaaf at a press conference warning of the raid.
    "It is important for us to understand that sometimes what ICE is doing with these tactics is to try and paralyze our communities," she said.
    Paulino told Fox News Friday that the conversations were about assessing whether or not to share the information with the community in the first place, and then how to do so in a way that did not create panic.
    "It was about if we should share what we know and how to share that information in a responsible way so to not create panic in the community," she said. "People live in fear already."
    KPIX5 reports that the emails also show that the Oakland Indie Alliance, a group of independent businesses, received a message saying, “Important Alert! Credible information ICE Raids in Oakland Sunday 2/25 and Monday 2/26” and, “This information comes directly from the Mayor.”
    A spokesman for Schaaf told Fox News that she consulted “with several leaders and groups representing our immigrant community before she made her public comments.”

More at: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...-ice-raid.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

President Donald Trump on Wednesday urged Attorney General Jeff Sessions to consider prosecuting the mayor of Oakland, California, on an obstruction of justice charge, whom he has accused of thwarting federal immigration laws. Mayor Libby Schaaf warned her constituents in February of an impending federal raid that targeted more than 1,100 undocumented immigrants but resulted in the arrests of only about 200.
    “I mean, you talk about obstruction of justice, I would recommend that you look into obstruction of justice for the mayor of Oakland, California, Jeff,” Trump said, gesturing toward Sessions. The attorney general did not respond, and sat expressionless as the president made his comments.

More at: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-cities-594470

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

President Donald Trump on Wednesday urged Attorney General Jeff Sessions to consider prosecuting the mayor of Oakland, California, on an obstruction of justice charge, whom he has accused of thwarting federal immigration laws. Mayor Libby Schaaf warned her constituents in February of an impending federal raid that targeted more than 1,100 undocumented immigrants but resulted in the arrests of only about 200.
    “I mean, you talk about obstruction of justice, I would recommend that you look into obstruction of justice for the mayor of Oakland, California, Jeff,” Trump said, gesturing toward Sessions. The attorney general did not respond, and sat expressionless as the president made his comments.

More at: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-cities-594470
    He obviously has no idea what the standard for obstruction of justice is, which is strange, since he's being investigated for it. You'd think that he would read up on it.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

No, Mr. President, I am not obstructing justice

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...95d_story.html

By Libby Schaaf May 18

Libby Schaaf is the mayor of Oakland, Calif.

When President Trump was admonishing Attorney General Jeff Sessions to charge me with obstruction of justice Wednesday, I was at Harvard University sharing how we intend to give every child from Oakland, Calif., the opportunity to attend college.

Like all cities, Oakland suffers from disparities. Our African American and Latino children finish college at vastly lower rates than whites. That achievement gap is a tragic legacy of our country’s racist history.

I sought elected office to fix that — to build an equitable city where every resident, from every neighborhood and background, has the same opportunity to thrive. I believe in the American promise of “justice for all.”

Mr. President, I am not obstructing justice. I am seeking it.

The president takes issue with a tweet I posted in February in which I notified residents of an impending raid by Immigration and Customs Enforcement in the Bay Area, including Oakland. I wanted to make sure that people were prepared, not panicked, and that they understood their legal rights.

I did this for people such as Maria Mendoza-Sanchez, who immigrated to the United States from Mexico 24 years ago . She learned English, earned a degree and worked as a nurse in the cancer ward of Oakland’s public hospital. She and her husband, Eusebio, raised four children and bought a home.

“It’s supposed to be that if you assimilate to the culture of the country, you pay taxes, you work, you graduate college, you have a better chance,” Mendoza-Sanchez told the San Francisco Chronicle.

Last August, Mendoza-Sanchez and her husband were deported. They were ripped from their U.S.-born children — exiled to a country they had not set foot in for two decades. And they were taken from Oakland, where they had contributed to our community’s collective health, well-being and safety.

Under the Obama administration, Mendoza-Sanchez’s status — with a clean record, a good job and college-bound children — made her and her husband eligible for deferrals as they sought citizenship. But under the Trump administration, undocumented residents are vilified as “dangerous criminals” or, as of last week — simply “animals.” Trump has more than doubled deportations of people without any criminal convictions.

There are people like Mendoza-Sanchez in communities across our country: hard-working, tax-paying, law-abiding. They are parents, neighbors and caretakers. Their stories may have begun in another country, but — to our blessing and advantage — continue in ours.

They deserve justice too.

Far from the days when Trump’s Scottish mother gained her naturalization so easily, today’s immigration system is broken. It separates families, endangers our economy that relies on a substantial undocumented workforce and doesn’t provide legal representation to those seeking political asylum.

As mayor, it’s my duty to protect my residents — especially when our most vulnerable are unjustly attacked. As a leader, it’s my duty to call out this administration’s anti-immigrant fearmongering for what it is: a racist lie.

It’s well documented that immigrants — even undocumented immigrants — commit fewer crimes than American-born citizens. And diverse, sanctuary cities such as Oakland are seeing dramatic decreases in crime.

Back at Harvard, I was proud to show how our community has increased the number of college-enrolled, African American students by 14 percent and Latino students by 11 percent in just one year. We’re determined to close the achievement gap one student, one family and one community at a time.

We call our plan the Oakland Promise. It exemplifies America’s promise. Because Oakland doesn’t obstruct justice, we seek it.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) on Monday announced a bill that would penalize local and state officials who help enforce so-called sanctuary policies.
    The Libby Schaaf Act, named after the Oakland, Calif., mayor who earlier this year alerted residents about a planned immigration sweep, aims to prevent local officials from aiding immigrants in the country illegally.

“I want lawless, Sanctuary City politicians to hear this message clearly: if you obstruct ICE [Immigration and Customs Enforcement], you are going to end up in the cooler,” King said in his announcement of the bill.

King, one of the most fervent opponents of immigration in Congress, said there was debate about the legality of Schaaf’s actions and his bill would get rid of any doubt about the law.

More at: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/38...&utm_content=1

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Is there a name for this permanently frightened/about to cry look? Please agree with me or I am going to cry.

Sanctuary officials could get 5 years in prison under ‘Libby Schaaf Act’ - https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-years-prison/

The picture:

Why do we even have states anyway?
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    So Frigid Libby can make a stance.

It has nothing to do with immigration.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Ask you fellow Hillary voters who want to end the electoral college.
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members