Thread: Amazon Doesn’t Just Want to Dominate the Market—It Wants to Become the Market

Amazon Doesn’t Just Want to Dominate the Market—It Wants to Become the Market

Amazon Doesn’t Just Want to Dominate the Market—It Wants to Become the Market

Chris Lampen-Crowell started to feel the undertow four years ago. Gazelle Sports, the running-shoe and apparel business he founded in downtown Kalamazoo, Michigan, in 1985, had grown steadily for decades, adding locations in Grand Rapids and Detroit and swelling to some 170 employees. But then, in 2014, sales took a downward turn. From the outside, at least, it was hard to see why. Gazelle Sports was as beloved as ever by local runners. People continued to flock to its free clinics and community runs. And scores of enthusiastic reviews on Google and Yelp, along with an industry ranking as one of the best running-shoe retailers in the country, gave Gazelle Sports and its e-commerce website plenty of prominence in online searches.

The problem wasn’t so much that customers had made a conscious decision to buy their running gear elsewhere, Lampen-Crowell says. Rather, a number were doing more of their overall shopping on Amazon—and as the online giant became a pervasive, almost unconscious habit in their lives, they had started dropping into their Amazon shopping carts some of the items they used to buy from Gazelle Sports. Lampen-Crowell’s initial response was to double down on marketing his company’s own website. But while that helped, there were many potential customers who still had little chance of landing on it. That was because, by 2014, nearly 40 percent of people looking to buy something online were skipping search engines like Google altogether and instead starting their product searches directly on Amazon.

By the fall of 2016, the share of online shoppers bypassing search engines and heading straight to Amazon had grown to 55 percent. With sales flagging and staff reductions under way, Lampen-Crowell made what seemed like a necessary decision: Gazelle Sports would join Amazon Marketplace, becoming a third-party seller on the digital giant’s platform. “If the customer is on Amazon, as a small business you have to say, ‘That is where I have to go,’” Lampen-Crowell explains. “Otherwise, we are going to close our doors.”

Gazelle Sports isn’t alone. Faced with Amazon’s overwhelming gravitational pull on the Internet’s shopping traffic, thousands of Amazon’s competitors—from small independent retailers to major chains and manufacturing brands—have felt compelled to join its orbit.

Setting up shop on Amazon’s platform has helped Gazelle Sports stabilize its sales. But it’s also put the company on a treacherous footing. Amazon, which did not respond to an interview request, touts its platform as a place where entrepreneurs can “pursue their dreams.” Yet studies indicate that the relationship is often predatory. Harvard Business School researchers found that when third-party sellers post new products, Amazon tracks the transactions and then starts selling many of their most popular items itself. And when it’s not using the information that it gleans from sellers to compete against them, Amazon uses it to extract an ever larger cut of their revenue.

To succeed, sellers need to “win the buy-box”—that is, be chosen by Amazon’s algorithms as the default seller for a product. But according to ProPublica, “about three-quarters of the time, Amazon placed its own products and those of companies that pay for its [warehousing and shipping] services in that position even when there were substantially cheaper offers available from others.” As more third-party sellers have agreed to sign up for these services, Amazon has repeatedly raised its fees, with fulfillment fees rising this year by as much as 14 percent for standard-size items (and more for oversize goods), on top of similar increases in 2017.

For now, Lampen-Crowell’s primary suppliers have chosen not to sell directly to Amazon, giving Gazelle Sports and other independent retailers exclusive access to their products and, with it, a measure of insulation from Amazon’s predatory tactics. That could change, however. In 2016, Amazon backed Birkenstock into a corner, threatening to allow a deluge of counterfeit Birkenstocks onto its site—many from overseas sellers—unless the shoe company agreed to sell directly to Amazon the niche products it had previously reserved for specialty retailers. Birkenstock pushed back, but other companies, including Nike, appear to have caved to a similar demand.

Lampen-Crowell tries not to spend time worrying about whether his suppliers will one day be pressured to do the same. An entrepreneur at heart, he keeps his focus on finding ways to succeed and doesn’t let his attention stray too far into questions of Amazon’s market power. “Whether this is monopolization…” he says, and then pauses. “If you take this to the end, Amazon controls the rules.”

It’s easy to mistake Amazon for a retailer. After all, the company, which was founded in 1995, sells more books and toys than any other retailer, and is projected soon to become the top seller of clothing and electronics. It now captures nearly $1 of every $2 that Americans spend online.

To think of Amazon as a retailer, though, is to profoundly misjudge the scope of what its founder and chief executive, Jeff Bezos, has set out to do. It’s not simply that Amazon does so much more than sell stuff—that it also produces hit television shows and movies; publishes books; designs digital devices; underwrites loans; delivers restaurant orders; sells a growing share of the Web’s advertising; manages the data of US intelligence agencies; operates the world’s largest streaming video-game platform; manufactures a growing array of products, from blouses to batteries; and is even venturing into health care.
    For more: https://www.thenation.com/article/am...me-the-market/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I buy nothing there .

It's possible Gazelle has paid more income taxes than Amazon

Probably need more government. That’ll fix things. Always does.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I buy nothing there .

Ya, understood. their theft security is pretty good.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Ya, understood. their theft security is pretty good.
    Do they sell Ammo and high capacity drum mags ?

I like doing business with companies like Mepps . Where I can trade squirrel tails for fishing lures .

even more telling is the comments. They cite Marx and decry lack of regulation for this.

Little do they know that more regulation would make this problem worse.

What a shock!

https://www.thenation.com/article/am...me-the-market/

Just on a cursory read, what I find extremely telling is how Amazon now prevents Americans from starting small businesses. I am personally sick to the point of vomit of hearing for the last three decades how small business owners suffer so much, are the backbone of American wealth, and consistently vote GOP. It's the same with so many groups that delivered us into Reagan's permanent mirrored slum. Somehow, I more intuitively than anything deduced when all this began three decades ago it would wind up this way. A country that wanted it's cake and eat it too. "We really hate all those regulations" was the chant of every small minded small business owners since 1980. I always figured many of these people lacked any long range thinking, and I was correct.
    Getting rid of all that nasty government oversight and see what happens. This happens. And frankly, I don't have sympathy for any of them who for all my adult life have been bashing the public sector. Now they have to yield to a much more formidable master, and it does not have a justice system to bring their business grievances to. Only in the United States would the the small business owners have done themselves in like this (not all of them, but too many to count). All those decades of complaining. Now they can't even complain, just obey or join the growing impoverished third of the United States that is getting securely in place.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Probably need more government. That’ll fix things. Always does.
    LOL right on.

You know what Amazon did that no other retailer in 40 years was able to do?
    They got me to actually LIKE shopping.

Has it been so long that nobody remembers what shopping was like prior to Amazon? Does nobody else remembering getting in the car, driving to one place, looking for five minutes, walking toward the door, and having your wife say "you can't possibly know within five minutes whether they have what you're looking for", the ensuing argument during the entire trip to the next store, wash, rinse, repeat?

There was an entire winter, 2004-5, IIRC, where it was consistently under 20 degrees outside and I was wearing a fleece hoodie on top of two flannel shirts because I had worn out my coat and I had didn't find its replacement and $#@! you I'm not spending $100 on a coat I don't like and will just freeze this winter. Amazon made it so the coats are 20% cheaper, I get it delivered the next day, and I can return it if anything is wrong. And almost every possible coat is there for me to look through, in one place. And every purchase I make, they give money to my chosen charity.

They might be predatory toward the sellers, but they're acting that way to give me something I've always wanted and those sellers never gave me. I'm the king. The running shoe stores can either adapt or they can join the ranks of ice delivery men and newspaper printers. King Fisharmor recognizes this as progress.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

I also loved Amazon in its early days from 2000-2007. Then, things changed. First off, it became bloated with BS reviews it does not monitor (Review for an action figure ends up in a review for a blender)

and it really does want to dig its tentacles into everything just like Google. IMDB took a blow after Amazon removed community discussion forums, and it took almost 6 months to restore the old movie rating system (Which is still worse IMO). Since Amazon's Prime service is huge, and geared towards entertainment consumption, it revamped IMDB to reflect this (i.e. less on critical discussion, more on film buzz, glamor and promotion).

Not saying it's "evil" or anything but it's one of the reasons why I choose to do business elsewhere.

They also are in bed with the state:
    https://www.theepochtimes.com/small-...2_2184919.html

Amazon, for example, opened three data centers in Ohio last month, which created 125 jobs. The project received state incentives to the tune of an estimated $81 million over 15 years, including $77 million for the sales-tax exemption and $4 million for payroll tax credits—which works out to $648,000 per job—according to a 2015 Bloomberg report.

“Independent retailers never get anything like that. They go to city hall and say, ‘I want to open a second location, will you give me a big tax break?’ and they’ll be laughed out the door and told, ‘This is a free market, you’ve got to learn to compete,'” Mitchell said.
    Amazon's early days were great. Now, there is ebay and other small online shops where you can find stuff cheap without feeding the octopus.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    LOL right on.

Has it been so long that nobody remembers what shopping was like prior to Amazon? Does nobody else remembering getting in the car, driving to one place, looking for five minutes, walking toward the door, and having your wife say "you can't possibly know within five minutes whether they have what you're looking for", the ensuing argument during the entire trip to the next store, wash, rinse, repeat?

There was an entire winter, 2004-5, IIRC, where it was consistently under 20 degrees outside and I was wearing a fleece hoodie on top of two flannel shirts because I had worn out my coat and I had didn't find its replacement and $#@! you I'm not spending $100 on a coat I don't like and will just freeze this winter. Amazon made it so the coats are 20% cheaper, I get it delivered the next day, and I can return it if anything is wrong. And almost every possible coat is there for me to look through, in one place. And every purchase I make, they give money to my chosen charity.

They might be predatory toward the sellers, but they're acting that way to give me something I've always wanted and those sellers never gave me. I'm the king. The running shoe stores can either adapt or they can join the ranks of ice delivery men and newspaper printers. King Fisharmor recognizes this as progress.
    Last edited by Son_of_Liberty90; 06-25-2018 at 11:41 AM.

Company scrip for the company store.

http://appalachianmagazine.com/2014/...tory-of-scrip/
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    LOL right on.

I have mixed feelings about that because sometimes I like to try on clothes in the store.

Yet fairly recently for some reason I could not find a jacket anywhere in local stores. Yeah it was getting warmer as we got into Spring, but I worked 2nd shift outside and it could still be cold, windy, and rainy some nights.

I wonder if what is really needed is the Online equivalent of a Mall since brick and mortar shopping malls are struggling. There is a huge convenience issue where one account with Amazon offers access to so many things. It would be nice if some single account or shopping portal could pay for goods from all participating stores. I think people get annoyed with the idea of needing to manage several accounts including logins and their passwords.

Aside from all that, I do like Amazon as an option for streaming movies and TV shows that are not on Netflix. I just dislike the idea of collecting DVDs or Blurays unless they're a few rare hard to get films or maybe a few Criterions. Otherwise, I think it quickly grows and becomes more clutter so I prefer to stream online.
    Last edited by VIDEODROME; 06-25-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    Aside from all that, I do like Amazon as an option for streaming movies and TV shows that are not on Netflix. I just dislike the idea of collecting DVDs or Blurays unless they're a few rare hard to get films or maybe a few Criterions. Otherwise, I think it quickly grows and becomes more clutter so I prefer to stream online.
    Most of them are easy to get, you just need a VPN to an offshore address to protect yourself.
    They used to be super easy to stream, prior to the annihilation of the most recent shady streaming services on Kodi.
    This is one thing Amazon and I are definitely on opposite sides on. The internet has been trying to slash the cost of media for 20 years now, and Amazon is definitely on the side that is against that.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.