Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drinking alcohol key to living past 90

Exclamation Drinking alcohol key to living past 90

Drinking alcohol key to living past 90

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.3829634

Monday, February 19, 2018, 12:07 PM

Cheers to life — seriously.

When it comes to making it into your 90s, booze actually beats exercise, according to a long-term study.

The research, led by University of California neurologist Claudia Kawas, tracked 1,700 nonagenarians enrolled in the 90+ Study that began in 2003 to explore impacts of daily habits on longevity.

Researchers discovered that subjects who drank about two glasses of beer or wine a day were 18% less likely to experience a premature death, the Independent reports.

Meanwhile, participants who exercised 15 to 45 minutes a day, cut the same risk by 11%.

“I have no explanation for it, but I do firmly believe that modest drinking improves longevity,” Kawas stated over the weekend at the American Association for the Advancement of Science annual conference in Austin, Texas.

Other factors were found to boost longevity, including weight. Participants who were slightly overweight — but not obese — cut their odds of an early death by 3%.

“It’s not bad to be skinny when you’re young but it’s very bad to be skinny when you’re old,” Kawas noted in her address.

Subjects who kept busy with a daily hobby two hours a day were 21% less likely to die early, while those who drank two cups of coffee a day cut that risk by 10%.

Further study is needed to determine how habits impact longevity beyond people’s genetic makeups.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Meh...

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    ...nih.gov...

...nih.gov...
    Unimpeachable stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Drinking alcohol key to living past 90

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.3829634

Monday, February 19, 2018, 12:07 PM

Cheers to life — seriously.

When it comes to making it into your 90s, booze actually beats exercise, according to a long-term study.

The research, led by University of California neurologist Claudia Kawas, tracked 1,700 nonagenarians enrolled in the 90+ Study that began in 2003 to explore impacts of daily habits on longevity.

Researchers discovered that subjects who drank about two glasses of beer or wine a day were 18% less likely to experience a premature death, the Independent reports.

Meanwhile, participants who exercised 15 to 45 minutes a day, cut the same risk by 11%.

“I have no explanation for it, but I do firmly believe that modest drinking improves longevity,” Kawas stated over the weekend at the American Association for the Advancement of Science annual conference in Austin, Texas.

Other factors were found to boost longevity, including weight. Participants who were slightly overweight — but not obese — cut their odds of an early death by 3%.

“It’s not bad to be skinny when you’re young but it’s very bad to be skinny when you’re old,” Kawas noted in her address.

Subjects who kept busy with a daily hobby two hours a day were 21% less likely to die early, while those who drank two cups of coffee a day cut that risk by 10%.

Further study is needed to determine how habits impact longevity beyond people’s genetic makeups.
    So at slightly overweight , two draft beers with any lunch or dinner out and at least two cups of coffee every morning and piddling around with my hobbies at least more than two hours a day , five days per week , I am in great shape . Good news , LOL

Correlation still implying causation, apparently. Even though people still spend 12+ years in school.

Guess the fact that that French woman who lived the longest, who smoked her whole life, indicates we should all start smoking to boost our longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGetter View Post
    Correlation still implying causation, apparently. Even though people still spend 12+ years in school.

Guess the fact that that French woman who lived the longest, who smoked her whole life, indicates we should all start smoking to boost our longevity.
    Smoking cannabis?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Correlation still implying causation, apparently.
    Oh lord save me, I am so sick of that sophmoric nonsense.

Of course, correlation does necessarily mean causation, but if you have a common factor, a common denominator that shows up, then it implies it is a causal factor.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 02-28-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Makes everyone want a cigarette just thinking about it .

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Unimpeachable stuff.
    ^Against alcohol. What about Pork or Bacon? Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    donnay posts government propaganda against alcohol.

acptulsa points out it doesn't carry much weight against alcohol, being government propaganda.

kahless decides the fact that acptulsa is defending alcohol against government propaganda means he's anti-alcohol, and implies that might have something to do with Islam.

Give that man a Participation Trophy!

donnay posts government propaganda against alcohol.

acptulsa points out it doesn't carry much weight against alcohol, being government propaganda.

kahless decides the fact that acptulsa is defending alcohol against government propaganda means he's anti-alcohol, and implies that might have something to do with Islam.

Give that man a Participation Trophy!

Oh lord save me, I am so sick of that sophmoric nonsense.

Of course, correlation does necessarily mean causation, but if you have a common factor, a common denominator that shows up, then it implies it is a causal factor.
    Not really. Lots of old dead people- to the rate of tens of millions- dyed their hair. Did hair dyeing lead to their death? Of course not. Are they correlated? Certainly. As for your actual post the scientist herself says:

I have no explanation for it, but I do firmly believe that modest drinking improves longevity,” Kawas stated
    That sounds less like sciences and more like faith to me. And while thos etwo are not opposed ideas, something taking on a "firm belief" is not something proven with fact.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    People of RPF: Defending alcohol and questioning the State are now Muslim things. And if you believe that well....

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    Not really. Lots of old dead people- to the rate of tens of millions- dyed their hair. Did hair dyeing lead to their death? Of course not. Are they correlated?
    That's not a valid comparison.

A valid comparison would be a study where old people who dyed their hair died younger than people who didn't, and the claim was that dying your hair causes you to die younger.

If that is due to correlation rather than causation, then you still have to figure out what dying hair correlates with that causes premature death in order to prove it is correlation and not causation. Otherwise it is just evidence that dying your hair may lead to premature death.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have known and am related to my fair share of people in their 90's and 100's. All of them drank, smoked, and used coffee. I want to start drinking again if I know I am on my last leg but maybe I should start sooner rather than later. But I am not real fond of beer or wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I have known and am related to my fair share of people in their 90's and 100's. All of them drank, smoked, and used coffee. I want to start drinking again if I know I am on my last leg but maybe I should start sooner rather than later. But I am not real fond of beer or wine.
    Gin and tonic (squeeze of lime)
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Don't tempt me into posting pro cop - they did this to themselves propaganda.

<triggered>
    <Doubly triggered>
    Too easy.
    Last edited by kahless; 03-01-2018 at 08:49 PM.

Try Cider,,

An Apple a Day.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Try Cider,,

An Apple a Day.
    too sweet for me

Not really. Lots of old dead people- to the rate of tens of millions- dyed their hair. Did hair dyeing lead to their death? Of course not. Are they correlated? Certainly.
    Is it?

Hair dye (powder) and cosmetics used to contain loads of arsenic.

Regardless, common sense weeds out obviously incorrect suppositions i.e. - All people drink water. All people die. Therefore, drinking water kills you.

too sweet for me
    Ricker's in Maine and Citizen Cider in Vermont both brew a "dry" cider that is very crisp and not too sweet.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Looks good,, but I'm not sure it justifies sticking around to 90.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Marenco View Post
    Image you posted is of guy in a robe. Why are you promoting Islam? Since you are Muslim you have to go back to your own country.

Image you posted is obviously a jihadist. Why are you promoting Islam? Since you are Muslim you have to go back to your own country.

Muslims aren't fond of beer or wine either. Why are you promoting Islam? Since you are Muslim you have to go back to your own country.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Try Cider,,

An Apple a Day.
    Muslims eat apples too. Why are you promoting Islam? Since you are Muslim you have to go back to your own country.
    Amash>Trump

ΟΥ ΓΑΡ ЄCΤΙΝ ЄξΟΥCΙΑ ЄΙ ΜΗ ΥΠΟ ΘЄΟΥ

"Patriotism should come from loving thy neighbor, not from worshiping graven images" - Ironman77

"ideas have the potential of being more powerful than any army....The concept of personal sovereignty was pulled screaming from the ether into this reality by the force of men believing in a self evident truth, that men are meant to be free." - The Northbreather

"Trump is the security blanket of aggrieved white men aged 18-60." - Pinoy

If drinking alcohol is key to living past 90, I'm gonna live past 120+ for sure
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

She had a very unusual routine:

"After her admission to the care home Maison du Lac [House on the Lake] in January 1985 at the age of 109, she initially had a highly ritualized daily routine whereby, uniquely among the care home residents, she requested to be woken at 6:45 am and started the day with a long prayer at her window thanking God for being alive and for the beautiful day which was starting, sometimes loudly asking the reason for her longevity and why she was the only one alive in her family. Seated on her armchair she did gymnastics wearing her stereo headset. Her exercises included flexing and extending the hands ("a distinguished woman must have beautiful hands"), then the legs, and her carers noted that she moved faster than the other residents, who were 30 years younger, despite her blindness. Her breakfast consisted of coffee with milk, and rusks.Her morning ablutions included washing herself unassisted with a flannel rather than taking a shower ("an odd invention"), and applying first soap, then olive oil and powder to her face. She washed her own glass and cutlery before proceeding to lunch. She enjoyed daube (braised beef) but was not keen on boiled fish. After the meal she smoked a Dunhill cigarette (formerly a cigar, a habit she had acquired from her husband) and drank a small amount of Port wine. She enjoyed chocolate (and at the age of 112 received a delivery of 800 kilogrammes after challenging a TV presenter – this was then distributed to care homes), and made herself daily a fruit salad based on banana slices and squeezed orange.

In the afternoon she would take a nap for two hours in her armchair, and then visit her neighbours in the care home, telling them about the latest news she had heard on the radio. At nightfall she would dine quickly, return to her room, listen to music (her eyesight now being too poor for her favorite pastime of crosswords), smoke a last cigarette and go to bed at 10pm."

- Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Calment

I dislike all alcoholic drinks. I could never swallow more than a sip. It tastes awful! I just can't get myself to like even the sweetest of wines. I don't drink it at all and don't care to acquire that taste.

There are other lifestyle and genetic factors that play a role in longevity and are far more influential.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast