Thread: Photo of one single atom of strontium that is visible to the naked eye

Exclamation Photo of one single atom of strontium that is visible to the naked eye

Way cool.

A single atom is visible to the naked eye in this stunning photo

https://www.newscientist.com/article...tunning-photo/

By New Scientist staff and Press Association

An image of a single atom of the metal strontium suspended in electric fields has won the 2018 Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council science photography competition.

David Nadlinger‘s photo, Single Atom In An Ion Trap, was captured through the window of a vacuum chamber in an Oxford University laboratory, using an ordinary digital camera on a long exposure shot.

Two metal electrodes, two millimetres apart, held the strontium almost motionless in a strong electric field as it was illuminated with a blue-violet-coloured laser.

“The idea of being able to see a single atom with the naked eye had struck me as a wonderfully direct and visceral bridge between the minuscule quantum world and our macroscopic reality,” Nadlinger said.

“When I set off to the lab with camera and tripods one quiet Sunday afternoon, I was rewarded with this particular picture of a small, pale blue dot,” he said.

Strontium atoms are relatively large, with radii around 215 billionths of a millimetre. The atom is visible in this photograph because it absorbs and re-emits the bright light of the laser.

Extremely still strontium atoms like this one are used in atomic clocks. Each tick of one of these hyper-precise clocks is determined by the frequency of radiation emitted when electrons around an atom change energy states.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Way cool.

A single atom is visible to the naked eye in this stunning photo

https://www.newscientist.com/article...tunning-photo/

By New Scientist staff and Press Association

An image of a single atom of the metal strontium suspended in electric fields has won the 2018 Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council science photography competition.

David Nadlinger‘s photo, Single Atom In An Ion Trap, was captured through the window of a vacuum chamber in an Oxford University laboratory, using an ordinary digital camera on a long exposure shot.

Two metal electrodes, two millimetres apart, held the strontium almost motionless in a strong electric field as it was illuminated with a blue-violet-coloured laser.

“The idea of being able to see a single atom with the naked eye had struck me as a wonderfully direct and visceral bridge between the minuscule quantum world and our macroscopic reality,” Nadlinger said.

“When I set off to the lab with camera and tripods one quiet Sunday afternoon, I was rewarded with this particular picture of a small, pale blue dot,” he said.

Strontium atoms are relatively large, with radii around 215 billionths of a millimetre. The atom is visible in this photograph because it absorbs and re-emits the bright light of the laser.

Extremely still strontium atoms like this one are used in atomic clocks. Each tick of one of these hyper-precise clocks is determined by the frequency of radiation emitted when electrons around an atom change energy states.
    Very very cool.

how many pixels in an atom?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom