Thread: Rand Paul: Is Our Military Budget too Small, or Is Our Mission too Large?

Rand Paul: Is Our Military Budget too Small, or Is Our Mission too Large?

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Paul
    by SEN. RAND PAUL (R-KY)15 Feb 201821

EXCLUSIVE–Rand Paul: Is Our Military Budget too Small, or Is Our Mission too Large?

Since 2001, the U.S. military budget has more than doubled in nominal terms and grown by more than 37 percent, accounting for inflation. The U.S. spends more on its military than the next eight countries combined.

This prompts the question: Is our military budget too small, or is our mission too large?

It’s hard to argue that our military is underfunded. Our mission, on the other hand, includes our involvement in combat operations in Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Somalia, Niger, Libya, and Yemen. We have troops in over 50 out of 54 African countries. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have cost over a trillion dollars and lasted more than 15 years.

Unfortunately, none of these wars has been authorized by Congress, and Afghanistan and Iraq have gone far beyond their original authorizations. And when all combined, they are draining our treasury. A country can only remain strong as long as it remains solvent.

In Afghanistan, we spend about $50 billion each year. Where does the money go? For troops and weapons, of course, but billions have also been spent on roads, bridges, and schools for Afghanistan. Seems a shame that bridges, roads, and schools crumble here while we persist in nation-building abroad. Maybe it’s time to do some nation-building at home.

Don’t get me wrong. I supported going after the jihadists who attacked us on 9/11. But that mission ended when we killed the plotters and their supporters. The question we need to ask is, “When will the Afghanis be able to defend themselves?”

Most conservatives believe welfare should be temporary, and that ultimately the able-bodied must stand on their own. Foreign assistance is no different. If the U.S. coddles and comforts and does all the fighting, Afghanistan will never become self-sufficient.

People argue that the Taliban will take over Afghanistan, but it won’t if the Afghanis stand and fight. We’ve given them 15 years of training and billions of dollars’ worth of the most sophisticated weapons known to man. Surely, the time for them to step up and fight is now.

Is it worth one more American life to try to build a nation for people unwilling to fight for their own country?

The recent 21 percent increase in the military budget will buy a lot of weapons, but it won’t win the war in Afghanistan. President Obama already tried that. Obama increased our troop levels to around 100,000, and, sure enough, the Taliban ran and bided their time for the inevitable troop withdrawals.

The Taliban now controls a sizeable area of Afghanistan. I cannot, in good conscience, ask our soldiers to go back to Afghanistan to take back the same villages they’ve taken twice, first in 2002 and then again in 2010.

Candidate Trump wisely ran on a platform that the Iraq War was a mistake. But President Trump is surrounded by generals who have never seen a war that they believe cannot be won. And so the wars continue.

My hope is that President Trump will remember candidate Trump, and tell the generals who surround him: “Enough is enough. I’m bringing the boys home.”
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ion-too-large/

Quick everybody to the comment section, I think all of the warmonger bots are trying to influence the Russian election..

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is Our Military Budget too Small, or Is Our Mission too Large?

We got to increase the military its grown too small!!

Alice in Wonderland syndrome is a disorienting neuropsychological condition that affects perception. People experience size distortion such as micropsia, macropsia, pelopsia, or teleopsia. Size distortion may occur of other sensory modalities.

We need to concentrate on the things that are improving and not get distracted by little things like the military and police state ramping up.
    "The Patriarch"

Lol, Rand is getting more support there than here. I guess you should put in a Stephen whatshisname video.
    "The Patriarch"

Mission is too large. Way too large.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Excellent

Since 2001, the U.S. military budget has more than doubled in nominal terms and grown by more than 37 percent, accounting for inflation. The U.S. spends more on its military than the next eight countries combined.
    Talking about 'waste, fraud, and abuse' is all well and good, but this is the heart of the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Lol, Rand is getting more support there than here. I guess you should put in a Stephen whatshisname video.
    Donald Trump's 4d Chess foreign policy explained!!!11