Thread: Pentagon issues warning for non-deployable personnel: 'Deploy or be removed'

Pentagon issues warning for non-deployable personnel: 'Deploy or be removed'

The Pentagon on Wednesday announced a new “deploy or be removed” policy that could affect up to nearly 300,000 service members who have been non-deployable for the past 12 months.
    “This new policy is a 12-month deploy or be removed policy,” Robert Wilkie, the undersecretary of defense for personnel and readiness, told the Senate Armed Services subcommittee on personnel and readiness on Wednesday.
    The move comes after Defense Secretary Jim Mattis’ memo last year stressing the need to ensure that “everyone who comes into the service and everyone who stays in the service is world-wide deployable.”
    The plan was first revealed by The Military Times.
    According to various estimates, between 11 to 14 percent -- or well over 200,000 service members -- of the 2.1 million personnel serving on active duty, in the reserves or National Guard are currently non-deployable on any given day, hindering military readiness.
    The new policy will have exceptions such as pregnancy while medical boards will continue to be able to grant exceptions for wounded personnel.

More at: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...e-removed.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    10 to 14 percent would be very bad for an actual combat unit. That should not have been let to get there , but it could be most of them are in service jobs or reserve , so without those numbers , difficult to tell .

I'd rather see them leave than deploy. Would force us to shut down more bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    I'd rather see them leave than deploy. Would force us to shut down more bases.
    It might cost more . They might replace them with an enlistment bonus program . They might still pay for the health care of the others . They will likely try and motivate the malingerers .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    It might cost more . They might replace them with an enlistment bonus program . They might still pay for the health care of the others . They will likely try and motivate the malingerers .
    Everything they used to do except actual combat is now contracted out. How can you malinger when you don't have any actual duty at your duty station?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Everything they used to do except actual combat is now contracted out. How can you malinger when you don't have any actual duty at your duty station?
    Other than the previously wounded guys with infection , therapy etc I have no idea why they would be carrying that many guys who have a Doctors note not to deploy . Unheard of in my day in a combat unit . They would take those guys and fill out the Supply and Mess sections . I had seen Artillery guys deployed with casts on a leg or arm doing the job every day.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Other than the previously wounded guys with infection , therapy etc I have no idea why they would be carrying that many guys who have a Doctors note not to deploy . Unheard of in my day in a combat unit . They would take those guys and fill out the Supply and Mess sections . I had seen Artillery guys deployed with casts on a leg or arm doing the job every day.
    When DH was in basic training, they were painting buildings and mowing grass between deployments and duty stations. Now they're sent to a room to read for 8 hours while waiting for their orders. For months.