Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump backs 25-cent-a-gallon gasoline tax hike: senator

Trump backs 25-cent-a-gallon gasoline tax hike: senator

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1FY33T

Ready to lose some of that money you may be getting from that new tax bill?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump endorsed hiking the federal gasoline tax by 25 cents a gallon in a meeting with lawmakers on Wednesday about funding his infrastructure spending proposal, a Democratic lawmaker said.

Senator Tom Carper, who attended the meeting, confirmed a report by online publication Axios that the Republican president had backed the increase. The 18.4-cent-a-gallon tax on gasoline has not been hiked since 1993. The federal diesel tax is 24.4 cents a gallon.

“To my surprise, President Trump, today in our meeting, offered his support for raising the gas and diesel tax by 25 cents a gallon and dedicating that money to improve our roads, highways, and bridges,” Carper said in a statement. “The president even offered to help provide the leadership necessary so that we could do something that has proven difficult in the past.”

The White House did not confirm that Trump backed a gasoline tax hike in the meeting.

A White House official noted that Trump “has said everything is on the table” to achieve infrastructure improvements. “The gas tax has its pros and cons, and that’s why the president is leading a thoughtful discussion on the right way to solve our nation’s infrastructure problems,” the official added.

Trump expressed confidence on Wednesday a deal could be reached. “This is an issue where I really believe we can find common ground,” he said.

Some in Congress have said they are open to the idea of increasing the gasoline tax but that Trump would need to provide cover to win approval for the politically risky move. Republican Senator John Barrasso, who attended the meeting, said he opposed a hike. Many in Congress say such an increase has little or no chance of approval.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's more like some of the money the falling price of oil and gas is going to save you.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I oppose any gas tax increase .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I oppose any gas tax increase .
    I doubt anyone here disagrees.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I doubt anyone here disagrees.
    If a state is having an exceptional road problem I would like to see the accounting for where all the State gas tax , Fed gas tax and state sales tax on those two taxes is spent . I think there is enough money and they need better people to manage it .

I think I will deflate this in typical Zippy style:

a Democratic lawmaker said.
    The White House did not confirm that Trump backed a gasoline tax hike in the meeting.

If a state is having an exceptional road problem I would like to see the accounting for where all the State gas tax , Fed gas tax and state sales tax on those two taxes is spent . I think there is enough money and they need better people to manage it .
    I doubt any level of government in the US has not enough money, any that pretend to are just stealing or wasting it and then asking for more.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I think I will deflate this in typical Zippy style:
    I know of zero democrat lawmakers at Fed level who are not known liars . Zero .

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rep. Bill Shuster (R-PA), chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, is encouraging his GOP colleagues to support the increased gas tax as a way to keep the Highway Trust Fund solvent beyond 2021. The fund finances road, bridge and transit projects.
    “He understands that we’ve got to figure out the funding levels and where the money’s coming from, make sure it’s not smoke and mirrors,” Shuster said of the president.
    The Highway Trust Fund has been flirting with bankruptcy for the better part of a decade, while the Senate passed a bill in 2015 to boost highway spending without a solution to fund it. Lawmakers eventually passed a 6-year transportation measure which keep the trust fund solvent for another three years.
    Republican leaders have already rejected the idea, however, along with various other entities tied to billionaire industrialists Charles and David Koch.
    "Our organizations worked hard over the past year to support your efforts and the efforts of tax-cutters in Congress to provide American families much-needed and long-overdue tax relief," reads a letter from executives of the Koch-affiliated Freedom Partners Chamber of Commerce and Americans for Prosperity. "But increasing the gas tax would effectively undermine recent tax cuts by clawing back hundreds of billions of dollars — roughly 25 percent of the total benefit from tax reform."
    “The American people are just beginning to feel the benefits of the recently passed tax cuts bill," said Brent Gardner of Americans for Prosperity in a Wednesday statement. "Instead of undermining the relief taxpayers just received, the president and Congress should focus on smarter spending and breaking through the regulatory gridlock that delays projects and drives up costs.”
    Republican Senator Chuck Grassley (R-IA) doesn't think the gas tax has any chance of even coming up for a vote in the Senate. “He’ll never get it by McConnell,” said Grassley, referring to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Sen. John Barrasso (R-WY), Chairman of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee opposes the gas tax hike on the grounds that collected funds wouldn't all go towards repairing and restoring infrastructure.

“Today was the first of many conversations about the president’s infrastructure plan and how to fund it,” Barrasso said in a statement. “Ultimately, the final decision will be made by Congress as a whole.”

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...l-gas-tax-hike

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

From the article I posted:

One has to wonder - considering that Congress is unlikely to pass the proposed hike - if President Trump is simply buying a little political capital with Congressional Democrats.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

So the democrats are going to win the majority so he is going to have to be buying a lot of political capital from them. After Trump destroys the Republican party he will run for the Democrat party.

Rep. Bill Shuster (R-PA), chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, is encouraging his GOP colleagues to support the increased gas tax as a way to keep the Highway Trust Fund solvent beyond 2021.
    Dept of Trans Sec. Chow (wife of Sen. Turtle) takes the question
    @ 9:18

In case you missed it... Trump wants a TRILLION to be funneled through Dept. of Trans across coming years..
    Last edited by goldenequity; 02-14-2018 at 09:43 PM.

Nail. Head. Hit it. There are parts of our city that are either chewed up or under construction. The senators have been all braggy about how much money they bring in (congressman strangely silent, because it's kind of his job), but you wouldn't know it by the shape of the capitol city.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

This would be about the most unpopular idea ever. Absolutely dumb idea. It would negate the affects of his tax cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    So the democrats are going to win the majority
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So the democrats are going to win the majority
    WRONG.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

WRONG.
    We don't even have a chance at running a liberty candidate now because you guys want to associate Trumps taxation and Iraq war on steroids platform with Rand Paul.

We don't even have a chance at running a liberty candidate now
    LOL

because you guys want to associate Trumps taxation and Iraq war on steroids platform with Rand Paul.
    LOL

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Rand Paul wouldn't of lost a seat already. Trump already lost a seat because he was schilling for the establishment.
    You're using a guy who the media framed raping children as an example of Trump's shortcomings? Really? Trump didn't even support him in the primary..
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    You're using a guy who the media framed raping children as an example of Trump's shortcomings? Really? Trump didn't even support him in the primary..
    That's exactly the deleted tweet I as talking about.

That's exactly the deleted tweet I as talking about.
    What does that have to do with the first part? Which do you think had more impact? Personally I don't think the tweet had any impact on the general election.

What does that have to do with the first part? Which do you think had more impact? Personally I don't think the tweet had any impact on the general election.
    That's because you didn't even think of the possibility that Trump could of even possibly have effected the election because of the MSM smear campaign. You ruled that out as a possibility completely, there is no possible way that Trump could have effected the general election.

That's because you didn't even think of the possibility that Trump could of even possibly have effected the election because of the MSM smear campaign. You ruled that out as a possibility completely, there is no possible way that Trump could have effected the general election.
    I don't think anybody at the POTUS position could have helped a candidate win who the media alleged was a child rapist.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't think anybody at the POTUS position could have helped a candidate win who the media alleged was a child rapist.
    There's no way that Trump could convince someone not to trust the fake news and vote for a Republican in Alabama?

There's no way that Trump could convince someone not to trust the fake news and vote for a Republican in Alabama?
    Not anyone stupid enough to believe the lies about Moore in the first place.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/15/trum...t-benefit.html

Trump's gas tax would wipe out 60% of tax cut benefit for individuals, analyst estimates

President Trump reportedly endorses the idea of a 25-cent per-gallon gasoline tax to pay for infrastructure improvements for roads, bridges and highways.

Strategas Research points out that the higher tax, along with expected increases in fuel costs, would take away about $71 billion from consumers, or 60 percent of the expected $120 billion gain from tax cuts.

The increased cost of gas at the pump would also be nine times larger than the estimated $4 billion companies are handing to workers in the form of bonuses, due to corporate tax cuts.
    For an average family, the proposed 25-cent jump in the gasoline tax could become noticeable quickly. For instance, a 12-gallon fill-up would cost $3 more with the new tax.

Strategas charted the negative correlation of a president's approval rating and rising gasoline prices, not a positive for the Republican Party ahead of midterm elections.
    More at link.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-15-2018 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Well, that makes it official. By spreading these democrat lies Ron has made it obvious that he's sold out and become a Soros shill. /s
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

The trillion.5 infrastructure bill will mostly be footed directly by the people themselves, not federal deficit spending. Gas tax hike, state and local tax hikes (look for giant bond referendums supported by tax increases in your area), etc.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast