Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: [17 Dead] Numerous Fatalities at Douglas High School, Parkland, FL

Florida's Senate approved a bill Monday imposing new restrictions on gun purchases, but voted down an assault weapon ban and other measures. The bill -- which requires a three-day waiting period for all gun purchases, increases the age limit for buying a semi-automatic weapon from 18 to 21, bans the sale of bump stocks and makes it easier for law enforcement to take firearms from a potential threat -- was approved by a vote of 9 to 4.

The bill will also establish a committee to investigate the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, which killed 17 people.

Democratic Sen. Jose Javier Rodriguez of Miami noted the bill's age limit for purchasing semi-automatic weapons doesn't apply to private sales, noting such weapons would still be available to people the same age as 19-year-old shooter Nikolas Cruz.
    "A 19-year-old could still buy a semi-automatic weapon from a private dealer and a 19-year-old could still possess a semi-automatic weapon," Rodriguez said.

More at: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018...9941519699506/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    increases the age limit for buying a semi-automatic weapon from 18 to 21, bans the sale of bump stocks and makes it easier for law enforcement to take firearms from a potential threat -- was approved by a vote of 9 to 4.
    You can bet the Federal government won't impose the following of the Constitution on this particular "States right." Now if you got some raw milk buddy they are gonna come down hard!

Governor Scott having press conference right now - Sheriff Israel is not there.
    So far, same old $#@! about more laws, more mental health stuff, no mentally ill person ever should have a gun...
    Andy Pollack ("I'm pissed!") about to speak...

update: pfffft. nothing new.
    Last edited by Valli6; 02-27-2018 at 03:40 PM.

3 other cops actually hid outside behind their police cars with their weapons drawn

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    http://cbs12.com/news/local/lawmaker...kland-shooting

BOCA RATON, Fla. (CBS12) —
    Rep. Bill Hager (Boca Raton), the chairman of the Florida House of Justice Appropriations, has called on Gov. Rick Scott to remove Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel - a power the governor has under Florida law - from his post for neglect of duty and incompetence in regards to the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

In his letter to the governor on Saturday, Hager said that various media outlets reported that the School Resource Officer, Scot Peterson, and three deputies under Sheriff Israel's command "were on campus at the time of the attack and chose to take cover themselves rather than stepping up to protect our students."

Rep. Hager also mentioned the number of times police were called to Nikolas Cruz's home.

"The Sheriff was fully aware of the threat this individual presented to the community and chose to ignore it," Rep. Hager said.

He continued to remind the governor that this wasn't the first time a review of the Broward Sheriff's Office has been conducted. He said that, according to reporting conducted by a local journalist, a report after the Fort Lauderdale Airport shooting in 2017 found that the sheriff's office failed to set up a unified command structure, among other faults during the emergency.

Hager's legislative aid said that due to this, the representative proposes "that certain dollars currently scheduled for appropriation for the Broward Sheriff's Office be redirected...to initiate a pilot program in Broward County that will integrate and analyze data from various law enforcement, courts, state agencies, and school districts to better assess risk and keep our citizens safe."
    Yes, it appears the 3 other cops actually hid outside behind their police cars with their weapons drawn:

Report: Four of Sheriff Scott Israel’s Deputies Waited Outside Douglas High During School Shooting

A report released Friday claims four of Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel’s deputies waited outside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School while the attack was occurring.

On February 22 Breitbart News reported that one deputy resigned after it was learned that he was on scene but failed to control Nikolas Cruz. Sheriff Israel told ABC 13 that video shows the deputy, Scott Peterson, “arrive at the west side of Building 12” and “take a position” outside the school — but never go inside. The sheriff’s office moved to suspend Peterson, who resigned before the suspension could take place.

Now CNN reports that the Coral Springs police officers claim three other Broward County deputies were outside the school but failed to go inside as well. They quote “Coral Springs sources” who said the three “deputies had their pistols drawn and were behind their vehicleswhen Coral Springs officers arrived. They said “not one of [the deputies] had gone into the school.”

The sources indicate other Broward County deputies arrived on scene, and two of those new arrivals joined with Coral Springs officers and entered the building.

The sources said, “Coral Springs police were stunned and upset that the four original Broward County Sheriff’s deputies who were first on the scene did not appear to join them as they entered the school.”

Coral Springs Police Department public information officer Sgt. Carla Kmiotek would not comment on what Broward County deputies did or did not do. Rather, “The Coral Springs Police Department will speak on behalf of our officers and their response in that incident,” she said. “We will not speak on behalf of Broward Sheriff’s deputies and their response to the incident.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...hool-shooting/

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Armed Kidnapping, Narcotics Trafficking, Extortion: State Attorney Investigating 66Cases of Misconduct Under Broward County Sheriff Israel
    https://truepundit.com/kidnapping-na...heriff-israel/

It’s always the loudest guy in the room who ends up having much to hide.

This is likely the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the Broward County Sheriff’s Office.
    The national spotlight will help uncover much that incapable local reporters don’t have the guts or moxie to write.

There are more than 66 investigations by the Broward County State Attorney’s office into Broward County Sheriff’s deputies and employees,
    ranging from drug trafficking to kidnapping since 2012. All the internal investigations occurred under embattled Sheriff Scott Israel’s watch,

Certainly, more to come.

========

Broward County sheriff received at least 45 calls about Florida shooter's family, not 23: Report
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/br...rticle/2650121
    Last edited by goldenequity; 02-27-2018 at 08:35 PM.

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by charrob View Post
    Yes, it appears the 3 other cops actually hid outside behind their police cars with their weapons drawn:
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    Which is why their opinions on the matter mean less than piss to me.

Expanded police power, i.e. militarized, eroded Fourth Amendment, Fifth Amendment, Seventh Amendment, Eighth Amendment and what has it gotten us?

They're too busy circle jerking around a couple of thousand dollars worth of drugs to catch actual criminals.

Ought get real goddamn jobs.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

A student who survived the Parkland high school massacre on February 14 accused one of his teachers earlier this week of locking him and over a dozen other kids out in the hallway as the gunman was in the middle of his shooting spree.
    Josh Gallagher, a junior from Coral Springs, Florida, posted a scathing message on social media accusing his math teacher, Jim Gard of Pompano Beach, of being a coward.

More at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-teacher.html

Cowardice or collaboration?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Cowardice or collaboration?
    Both? These pictures at DailyMail are very unflattering.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    A student who survived the Parkland high school massacre on February 14 accused one of his teachers earlier this week of locking him and over a dozen other kids out in the hallway as the gunman was in the middle of his shooting spree.
    Josh Gallagher, a junior from Coral Springs, Florida, posted a scathing message on social media accusing his math teacher, Jim Gard of Pompano Beach, of being a coward.

More at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-teacher.html
    I'm glad that Josh Gallagher's dad is a genuine hero (maybe from the Broward county Sheriff's office?).
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

"A 19-year-old could still buy a semi-automatic weapon from a private dealer and a 19-year-old could still possess a semi-automatic weapon," Rodriguez said
    There is no such thing as a "private" dealer, legally anyway.

If you sell one gun with the intent of making a profit, you are a dealer.

This is just a way to get everybody into the NICS database.

They are looking to bring private sales from a collection between two individuals, under government control.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    I'm glad that Josh Gallagher's dad is a genuine hero (maybe from the Broward county Sheriff's office?).
    I think his dad is with the city PD.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

SmokingGunHogg --- Ha Ha, listen to him tell his friend to say " we need diversity ! " during filming

https://youtu.be/gZVioBDjFeM

What in the....

???

This is wrong on so many levels, it's unbelievable.

Sorry if this was already posted, I don't think I've read through this entire thread.

Quote Originally Posted by PursuePeace View Post
    What in the....

???

Sorry if this was already posted, I don't think I've read through this entire thread.
    And apparently it is not to be questioned.
    Like why a 24 yr old veteran actor,, is a student in that school.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

What in the....

???

This was from 2014, and not Florida.

Misleading title.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-drills-n28481

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    This was from 2014, and not Florida.

Misleading title.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-drills-n28481

Nowhere in the video are they claiming the drills were from schools in Florida or what year they were produced. That was just footage they had from a story they did on school shooting drills in the past.

There are videos of students and teachers from MSD high school saying that they thought it was a shooting drill.

The teacher said "I assumed it was code red drill because they said we would have one earlier in the day. I assumed it was blanks."

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Nugent just posted this.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

My favorite link to taunt the anti-gunners. Rhetorical gold.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/michae...article/706722

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    There is no such thing as a "private" dealer, legally anyway.

This is just a way to get everybody into the NICS database.

They are looking to bring private sales from a collection between two individuals, under government control.
    I say - as a Freedom of Information Act request - that any interested party/media journalists get the NCIS Transaction Number -
    and any Florida transaction number if that is where the sale originated or was transferred under -
    it might be a transaction public record available, at least to a party with an interest, as in say - a lawsuit.

https://www.independent.com/news/201...erson-shooter/

Raising a First-Person Shooter
    ‘Fortnite’ Video Game Blowing Holes in My Anti-Gun Policy

Wednesday, April 4, 2018
    by STARSHINE ROSHELL

The hypocrisy of my life is corroding my insides, and confession is the only cure. Outwardly — in dinner conversations, on social media, at girls’ nights — I go all frothy-mouthed about gun control, all soapbox-y on the nefarious NRA, all high-horsey over our nation’s sick obsession with firearms.

But in a dimly lit corner of my home, probably even as you read this, my sweet 12-year-old son who still orders off the kids’ menu is entertaining himself by assassinating animated strangers with a digital assault rifle — the very weapon now dominating public debate.

He’s playing Fortnite, the viral video game that 45+ million people are currently obsessed with. It’s a Hunger Games–style scenario: You drop into a dystopian landscape with 99 other players and try to be the last player alive at the end. An AR, a shotgun, and a sniper rifle help you accomplish this goal.

I’ve never allowed shooting games in my house before. “It’s not a shooting game,” my son insists. “It’s a survival game.” Well … you survive by shooting people.

So why now? Why suddenly relax my strict anti-violence entertainment standards? Mostly because this game is collaborative and he can play in real time with his equally obsessed and beloved brother, who’s at college 2,000 miles away. Apparently, the family that kills together chills together. When I ask said older brother why we should allow his baby bro to execute people on our flat screen when our nation is suffering so acutely from too-many-damned-people-shooting-each-other, he assures me, “It’s not one of those games where the object is to mow down as many people as you can indiscriminately.” I’m supposed to feel relief. “I mean, you let him watch Looney Tunes when he was 5, where cartoon characters were beating the crap out of each other.” Well, yeah, but … come on, that’s … All right; point taken.

Recent studies find no links between violent video games and violent real-life behavior. But in a country where nearly 100 people are shot to death daily, why in Glock’s name would we give children rifles as toys? Why teach them via repetitive motion as their brains are quite literally developing that snuffing out other humans is satisfying — and bloodless? (Did I mention that you get more points in this game for a head shot than a body shot? And you can kill foes with your ax if you’d rather not waste bullets.)

I tell my kid to go outside and play with real friends. He visits a buddy’s house — where they shoot BB guns in the backyard before retiring indoors. To play Fortnite. I urge him to play a nice, old-fashioned board game instead. He and his snowflake Dad opt for Risk: “I’m attacking with cavalry. You’re all gonna die.” What is it with dudes and weapons of war?

I struggle to know whether the better parent defies the mob mentality and trusts her own pacifist instincts — or keeps her paranoia in check and instead trusts the instincts of her otherwise sage and moderately kind children. I struggle to know whether I truly fear for my son’s emotional development — or am just loath to watch my youngest slip out of innocent childhood and into toughened adolescence. (Fortnite is rated T for teen; my boy isn’t a teen. Goddamn it, not yet.)

I watch him play the game. I explain that taking things from abandoned houses — even to use as shields from flying bullets — is looting, and that looting is stealing. I ask how he could possibly carry all the tools he’s stealing in that tiny backpack. I inform him that “fortnight” means two weeks’ time. Turns out I’m not especially fun to have around when you’re playing a survival video game.

When he aims and fires at another player, who vanishes neatly from the screen, I ask how it feels. “I know he’s not actually dead. He’s going back to the beginning, and he’ll play again,” my son says. But he volunteers that he doesn’t like the way it sounds when he hears himself say, “I killed that guy.” You and me both, kid.

You and me both.
    Last edited by dannno; 04-12-2018 at 01:50 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    https://www.independent.com/news/201...erson-shooter/

Raising a First-Person Shooter
    ‘Fortnite’ Video Game Blowing Holes in My Anti-Gun Policy

Wednesday, April 4, 2018
    by STARSHINE ROSHELL

The hypocrisy of my life is corroding my insides, and confession is the only cure. Outwardly — in dinner conversations, on social media, at girls’ nights — I go all frothy-mouthed about gun control, all soapbox-y on the nefarious NRA, all high-horsey over our nation’s sick obsession with firearms.

But in a dimly lit corner of my home, probably even as you read this, my sweet 12-year-old son who still orders off the kids’ menu is entertaining himself by assassinating animated strangers with a digital assault rifle — the very weapon now dominating public debate.

He’s playing Fortnite, the viral video game that 45+ million people are currently obsessed with. It’s a Hunger Games–style scenario: You drop into a dystopian landscape with 99 other players and try to be the last player alive at the end. An AR, a shotgun, and a sniper rifle help you accomplish this goal.

I’ve never allowed shooting games in my house before. “It’s not a shooting game,” my son insists. “It’s a survival game.” Well … you survive by shooting people.

So why now? Why suddenly relax my strict anti-violence entertainment standards? Mostly because this game is collaborative and he can play in real time with his equally obsessed and beloved brother, who’s at college 2,000 miles away. Apparently, the family that kills together chills together. When I ask said older brother why we should allow his baby bro to execute people on our flat screen when our nation is suffering so acutely from too-many-damned-people-shooting-each-other, he assures me, “It’s not one of those games where the object is to mow down as many people as you can indiscriminately.” I’m supposed to feel relief. “I mean, you let him watch Looney Tunes when he was 5, where cartoon characters were beating the crap out of each other.” Well, yeah, but … come on, that’s … All right; point taken.

Recent studies find no links between violent video games and violent real-life behavior. But in a country where nearly 100 people are shot to death daily, why in Glock’s name would we give children rifles as toys? Why teach them via repetitive motion as their brains are quite literally developing that snuffing out other humans is satisfying — and bloodless? (Did I mention that you get more points in this game for a head shot than a body shot? And you can kill foes with your ax if you’d rather not waste bullets.)

I tell my kid to go outside and play with real friends. He visits a buddy’s house — where they shoot BB guns in the backyard before retiring indoors. To play Fortnite. I urge him to play a nice, old-fashioned board game instead. He and his snowflake Dad opt for Risk: “I’m attacking with cavalry. You’re all gonna die.” What is it with dudes and weapons of war?

I struggle to know whether the better parent defies the mob mentality and trusts her own pacifist instincts — or keeps her paranoia in check and instead trusts the instincts of her otherwise sage and moderately kind children. I struggle to know whether I truly fear for my son’s emotional development — or am just loath to watch my youngest slip out of innocent childhood and into toughened adolescence. (Fortnite is rated T for teen; my boy isn’t a teen. Goddamn it, not yet.)

I watch him play the game. I explain that taking things from abandoned houses — even to use as shields from flying bullets — is looting, and that looting is stealing. I ask how he could possibly carry all the tools he’s stealing in that tiny backpack. I inform him that “fortnight” means two weeks’ time. Turns out I’m not especially fun to have around when you’re playing a survival video game.

When he aims and fires at another player, who vanishes neatly from the screen, I ask how it feels. “I know he’s not actually dead. He’s going back to the beginning, and he’ll play again,” my son says. But he volunteers that he doesn’t like the way it sounds when he hears himself say, “I killed that guy.” You and me both, kid.

You and me both.
    Struggling for dominance is fun, video games allow us to do so without hurting anyone, they also allow us to release built up aggression and anger/frustration harmlessly, they might just save lives.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

45+ million people are currently obsessed with
    Of that 45 million playing, how many actually shot somebody in real life (besides veterans)?

Recent studies find no links between violent video games and violent real-life behavior.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-12-2018 at 02:41 PM.

Marjory Stoneman Douglas teacher charged after leaving gun in public restroom

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/marjory-stoneman-douglas-teacher-charged-leaving-gun-public-082807758--abc-news-topstories.html

I'm sure this wasn't staged.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nowhere in the video are they claiming the drills were from schools in Florida
    wrong

1. video title says "florida H S"
    2. footer of the video says "parkland"

Quote Originally Posted by Little Red Stick View Post
    wrong

1. video title says "florida H S"
    2. footer of the video says "parkland"

Heee's back
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast