Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taliban invites Rand for peace talks

Taliban invites Rand for peace talks

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It sounds like a good idea if he can either get DJTvsg's cooperation or if he runs and wins in 2020.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    Is this for real? Is it just anti-Paul propaganda? I can see Lindsey Graham or McCain using it against Rand.
    Apparently the story was first reported yesterday by the Washington Times.
    Taliban invites Rand Paul to peace talks
    By Carlo Muñoz - The Washington Times
    Sunday, February 11, 2018

The Taliban is extending an invitation to Sen. Rand Paul, Kentucky Republican, to their political office in Doha, to discuss possible peace plans to end the 17-year Afghan war.

The invitation, proposed on the terror group’s social media accounts under the moniker of the “Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan,” was extended in response to Mr. Paul’s recent comments on the status of the war.

“We invite the respectable U.S. Senator Rand Paul, in his official capacity to visit our political office in Doha for mutual talks,” the Twitter post by the Information Committee of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan read.

“We’ll prove to Mr. Rand Paul, the immediate US withdrawal from [Afghanistan] will bring peace to our country & will enhance international security,” the group added in the social media post.

During an interview with Fox News on Thursday, Sen. Paul lambasted Washington’s continued investment in the Afghan conflict, with no clear endgame in sight. “The war in Afghanistan is costing us $50 billion a year… It’s time to come home. There is no military victory there,” Mr. Paul said.

more: https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...talks-taliban/ Taliban Invites US Senator for Mutual Talks
    Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:29

TEHRAN (FNA)- Taliban invited a US senator for “mutual talks” in the Qatari capital Doha, where the so-called Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan has an office.

The terror group’s social media accounts extended the invitation to Kentucky Republican Senator Rand Paul over his latest comments about the United States’ long war in Afghanistan, The Washington Times reported.

“We invite the respectable US Senator Rand Paul, in his official capacity to visit our political office in Doha for mutual talks,” according to a Twitter post by the self-declared Information Committee of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan.

It further suggested that the US should withdraw its forces from the war-ravaged country for peace to emerge.

“We’ll prove to Mr. Rand Paul, the immediate US withdrawal from [Afghanistan] will bring peace to our country & will enhance international security,” the group added in the social media post.

The Kentucky lawmaker had criticized investment in the war on Afghanistan during an interview with Fox News on Thursday.

“The war in Afghanistan is costing us $50 billion a year… It’s time to come home. There is no military victory there,” Paul said.

On August 21, Trump announced he would prolong the military intervention in Afghanistan.

The United States --- under Republican George W. Bush’s presidency --- and its allies invaded Afghanistan on October 7, 2001 as part of Washington’s so-called war on terror.

http://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13961123000909

Report: Taliban Invites Rand Paul to Talk: ‘We’ll Prove’ U.S. Withdrawal ‘Will Bring Peace’
    by EDWIN MORA 12 Feb 2018

Taliban terrorists have invited Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) to their political office in Qatar to discuss peace plans to bring the nearly 17-year-old war in Afghanistan to a conclusion.

The invitation, reportedly posted on the jihadist group’s social media accounts, came in response to Sen. Paul’s recent comments about the conflict, notes the Washington Times.

“We invite the respectable [U.S. Senator Rand Paul], in his official capacity to visit our political office in Doha for mutual talks,” the Taliban wrote on Twitter under the moniker of the “Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan."

more: http://www.breitbart.com/national-se...l-bring-peace/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It sounds like a good idea...
    Yeah, sure it does. Let's go talk to the terrorists the CIA set up and Bush entertained before they were demonized in the mainstream media, and which the American public thinks is a homegrown enemy, and see if they don't help the mainstream media destroy our political career for doing it.

In short, let's walk into an obvious CIA trap.

Hell of an idea. Just brilliant.
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Yeah, sure it does. Let's go talk to the terrorists the CIA set up and Bush entertained before they were demonized in he mainstream media, and which the American public thinks is a homegrown enemy, and see if they don't help the mainstream media destroy our political career for doing it.

Hell of an idea.
    Yeah, it's SOOOO much better of an idea to refuse to negotiate a peace deal with the power most likely to control Afghanistan when we leave or are driven out, then we can stay there until further notice and lose more servicemen while killing more locals, why oh why didn't I think of that?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Yeah, it's SOOOO much better of an idea to refuse to negotiate a peace deal with the power most likely to control Afghanistan when we leave or are driven out, then we can stay there until further notice and lose more servicemen while killing more locals, why oh why didn't I think of that?
    Yeah, because a group with ties to the CIA offering to seriously talk peace with one of 535 members of a legislative body which never even declared war on the country in question is obviously a serious offer.

http://archive.is/glrJo
    https://truepundit.com/taliban-invit...l-peace-talks/

The Taliban is extending an invitation to Sen. Rand Paul, Kentucky Republican, to their political office in Doha, to discuss possible peace plans to end the 17-year Afghan war.
    The invitation, proposed on the terror group’s social media accounts under the moniker of the “Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan,” was extended in response to Mr. Paul’s recent comments on the status of the war.
    “We invite the respectable U.S. Senator Rand Paul, in his official capacity to visit our political office in Doha for mutual talks,” the Twitter post by the Information Committee of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan read.

3 days ago...
    ►Russia is recently offering an 'open ended' invitation to both parties
    to host peace talks between Afghanistan and the Taliban.

If McCain and Graham can waltz over and chat with 'rebels' anytime they feel like it...
    then certainly Rand could step up and 'float' possibilities.
    If you're going to run as the 'peace' candidate... you have to take advantage of opportunities when they come at you.
    I wouldn't dismiss this out of hand... I would 'massage' it and USE it to gain 'face time' in the media.

Collins beat you to it. If you had checked the wrong subforum, instead of just looking here in the right subforum, you'd have seen it.

Indeed, if you had just posted an irritating naked link, instead of being courteous enough to excerpt it for us, you might have beaten him to the punch.

Thank you. Good job.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Skepticism is certainly warranted, but it could be a serious offer.

Senators have been known to go overseas and do this kind of thing (generally for more bomby purposes, but it could go the other way).

I don't know, something for Rand to give some serious thought.

Yeah, because a group with ties to the CIA offering to seriously talk peace with one of 535 members of a legislative body which never even declared war on the country in question is obviously a serious offer.
    Wait. What?
    I am pretty sure any CIA contact is of the adversarial variety.

Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan (Taliban for propaganda purposes). The only legitimate governmental authority.

The legitimate Government since they overthrew the Russian Puppet Government and liberated their country.
    The Legitimate Government when negotiations were ongoing after 911.. until we invaded and ran amok for all these years.

Yes,, Let Rand negotiate a peaceful end to this stupid $hit.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Its not like the Taliban is reaching out to Rand Paul directly. I think Rand Paul would be best off writing an op-ed to the American people- but not to talk to foreigners on behalf of the American people unless we ask him to. America can't have peace talks with Afghanistan if we can't even declare war and have an honest debate in congress.

Yeah, sure it does. Let's go talk to the terrorists the CIA set up and Bush entertained before they were demonized in the mainstream media, and which the American public thinks is a homegrown enemy, and see if they don't help the mainstream media destroy our political career for doing it.

In short, let's walk into an obvious CIA trap.

Hell of an idea. Just brilliant.
    No matter how you look at it, too much risk. No way for Rand to safely go there. Maybe in another place Rand could take part in a peace process as a Senate representative.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Its not like the Taliban is reaching out to Rand Paul directly. I think Rand Paul would be best off writing an op-ed to the American people- but not to talk to foreigners on behalf of the American people unless we ask him to. America can't have peace talks with Afghanistan if we can't even declare war and have an honest debate in congress.
    That would be a good response, and then see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    No matter how you look at it, too much risk. No way for Rand to safely go there. Maybe in another place Rand could take part in a peace process as a Senate representative.
    Qatar? He could go there safely. It's not Kabul.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Ah... Missed that. Thought they wanted him to go to their territory.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I think Rand could possibly Troll Trump by rallying Trump's supporters for a cause they support like he has been. The MSM is already trying to get rid of that tool, they don't even want to pretend like he is a conservative anymore, the new narrative is he is to the left of Hillary. He might be all out of ammo in that strategy and have to go full opposition.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This, plus being invited gives him enough street cred already.

Ah... Missed that. Thought they wanted him to go to their territory.
    That would certainly be a bad idea!

I think Rand could possibly Troll Trump by rallying Trump's supporters for a cause they support like he has been. The MSM is already trying to get rid of that tool, they don't even want to pretend like he is a conservative anymore, the new narrative is he is to the left of Hillary. He might be all out of ammo in that strategy and have to go full opposition.
    Agreed, I think this recent budget business was a turning point.

If this is a real offer, it could be a golden opportunity. That war's got to end sometime, and who better to end it?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This, plus being invited gives him enough street cred already.
    If I were Rand I would say: to the seven countries we are at war with but can't declare it, I would love to declare peace but I don't think we can do that until we first acknowledge we are at war and have an honest debate about it.

If this is a real offer, it could be a golden opportunity.
    If it's not, it could end his career.

For that matter, if it's a real offer, it could still end his career. And if it's not, it might still be a golden opportunity, if he plays it right.

I still can't get past seeing the old photos of the Taliban in Bush's living room, having a nice little visit. Yeah, the Bushes are ostensibly oil men, and liable to try to network with anyone. But they still smell of CIA to me.

I'm coming around to the view that this is too significant to just ignore. But Rand Paul had better cover his ass ten ways from Sunday--physically, politically, publicity-wise, philosophically and everything else-ly. You can't barbeque the beef if you don't play with fire, but it's still a mighty good way to get burned.

If it's not, it could end his career.

For that matter, if it's a real offer, it could still end his career. And if it's not, it might still be a golden opportunity, if he plays it right.

I still can't get past seeing the old photos of the Taliban in Bush's living room, having a nice little visit. Yeah, the Bushes are ostensibly oil men, and liable to try to network with anyone. But they still smell of CIA to me.

I'm coming around to the view that this is too significant to just ignore. But Rand Paul had better cover his ass ten ways from Sunday--physically, politically, publicity-wise, philosophically and everything else-ly. You can't barbeque the beef if you don't play with fire, but it's a mighty good way to get burned.
    It's reminiscent of the French experience in the Algerian war, which made and ruined a number of careers.

If Rand's going to do anything more than write an op-ed about this, he needs some expert advice.

He knows what needs to be done in the big picture, but I doubt he knows the details of Afghan rebel politics on a day to day basis.

It's too bad that Michael Scheuer went off the deep end.

It's reminiscent of the French experience in the Algerian war, which made and ruined a number of careers.

If Rand's going to do anything more than write an op-ed about this, he needs some expert advice.

He knows what needs to be done in the big picture, but I doubt he knows the details of Afghan rebel politics on a day to day basis.

It's too bad that Michael Scheuer went off the deep end.
    I can't help but feel it's a fool's errand. The U.S. government is highly unlikely to agree to any just settlement, and the U.S. media is highly unlikely to allow him to tell the people of this nation what went wrong when the talks fail. Where's his advantage in that?

If he could count on his father's legions to spread the truth of what went down, if he could communicate with us and we could shame the media for lying about it as we did when the media tried to make Ron into He Who Must Not Be Named, it would be a very worthwhile thing. The Court of Public Opinion is going to have to be a major player in this thing, if it is to amount to something.

Can he count on us? Are we still legion enough to have his back?

The government has no interest in peace. None. Zilch Nada. If the Taliban aren't just a CIA front, and they're serious about this, then Rand Paul is an excellent choice. And the reason he is, is us. We know Rand, we know he has character. We can vouch for him, we are experienced in shaming the media into telling the truth even when it doesn't behoove them to do so. We know how to make ourselves heard. We can help explain what their offers would mean for We, the People.

If he can't count on us, he might as well not go. He'd probably be wiser not to. But if he can count on us, this could be a major victory for the common citizens of the United States.

Last edited by acptulsa; 02-12-2018 at 10:06 PM.

*this would be a good time for Rand to break out some of that Senatorial office budget that he usually returns to the Treasury and hire somebody who speaks Pashtun and knows everything there is know about the Taliban (who's in charge right now, who's married to whose sister, etc)

We should send Dennis Rodman.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I can't help but feel it's a fool's errand. The U.S. government is highly unlikely to agree to any just settlement, and the U.S. media is highly unlikely to allow him to tell the people of this nation what went wrong when the talks fail. Where's his advantage in that?

If he could count on his father's legions to spread the truth of what went down, if he could communicate with us and we could shame the media for lying about it as we did when the media tried to make Ron into He Who Must Not Be Named, it would be a very worthwhile thing. The Court of Public Opinion is going to have to be a major player in this thing, if it is to amount to something.

I don't know. I hope so.

Is there much to lose at this point?

...as for Rand, he won't be up for re-election till 2022, so we needn't worry about that.

Arent there photos of McCain, Graham, and Liberman with terrorists?
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

another of goldenequity's krazee ideas...

1. I am utterly SICK of the 'unelected' representing us.. otherwise known as the State Department.
    2. Form a 'coalition' as 'The People's Representative' to enjoin the 'multi-polar' effort at bringing PEACE to Afghanistan.
    3. The 'coalition' of maybe 6 ELECTED representatives form the 'Peace team' ahead of the Russian sponsored Peace talks.
    4. Go under 'observer status'.. get on the phone with Lavrov and quietly build the concept.
    5. Announce the coalition.
    6. Go and represent the People and report back directly to THEM.

He needs more then us, he has already spoken for us, the government doesn't care what the American people think. We need international support, we need to make this bigger, we can't be censored. Rand needs the whole world to hear him.

He needs more then us, he has already spoken for us, the government doesn't care what the American people think. We need international support, we need to make this bigger, we can't be censored. Rand needs the whole world to hear him.
    Most of the world is sick to death of this war: both Russia (been there done that) and China, for instance.

Europe isn't too keen on it either. The three Polish soldiers in Kabul want to go home.

Most of the world is sick to death of this war: both Russia (been there done that) and China, for instance.

Europe isn't too keen on it either. The three Polish soldiers in Kabul want to go home.
    What about the ones who have no voice, the dead, the wounded, the homeless veterans? They don't really get a choice on American foreign policy. I don't think it's entirely unfair to speak for the ones who can't speak for themselves especially when they clearly can't define their argument for their occupation you really don't have to take the high road here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast