Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul op-ed: Congress Is Full of Hypocrites. I Took a Stand

Rand Paul op-ed: Congress Is Full of Hypocrites. I Took a Stand

Sen. Paul: Congress Is Full of Hypocrites. I Took a Stand

By SEN. RAND PAUL
    February 9, 2018

Last night, for a few hours, your government shut down. Most likely, you slept soundly while this happened. The sun rose, and the world went on. The Government is open again. But the reason for and message behind yesterday’s debate and action in the Senate is still here.

The Senate was set to vote on a 700-page bill that added over $500 billion in new spending to our already out-of-control debt. It was a massive and destructive bargain struck by the leaders of both parties, where both got to blow up the spending “caps” they agreed to just a few short years ago.

I simply asked for one thing in this broken process: a 15-minute vote on whether those caps should or should not be broken. The furor this request set off among leadership, the wailing and screeching among Big Government advocates in Congress and in the media — well, you would think I had asked them to shut down forever.

No. I didn’t want them to shut down at all. Not really. I simply wanted them to act like their spending matters. Like the voices of the people elected to serve matter. Like the process matters.

Right now in the Senate, nothing seems to matter except the will of a small circle of Big Government, free-spending leaders who demand silence and “take it or leave it” votes.

I chose to leave it.

http://time.com/5142115/rand-paul-spending-congress/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    he Senate was set to vote on a 700-page bill
    How many Senators read that bill before voting?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Instead, we see a massive increase that would make President Obama cringe.
    There, he said it. Can we stop the fallacy that electing Republicans has any relationship to fiscal conservatism?

Republicans own ALL THREE BRANCHES!

It would be more fiscally responsible to ditch every dang Republican in DC (including the libertarian ones) and replace all of them with California lesbian SJW tree huggers. And make Michael Moore president! Prove me wrong.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    There, he said it. Can we stop the fallacy that electing Republicans has any relationship to fiscal conservatism?

It would be more fiscally responsible to ditch every dang Republican in DC (including the libertarian ones) and replace all of them with California lesbian SJW tree huggers. And make Michael Moore president! Prove me wrong.
    Challenge accepted.

Democrats controlled the House, Senate and Presidency in 2009. It lead to the bailout of GM, the stimulus with boondoggles like Cash for Clunkers, Dodd-Frank, that regulatory agency Mick Mulvaney is dismantling right now, Obamacare, and the nomination of two judges who hate the Constitution, more than any Republican nominations, to the Supreme Court..

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

http://babylonbee.com/news/looks-like-forgot-defund-planned-parenthood-like-promised-shucks-sorry-darnit-maybe-next-time/
    Last edited by EBounding; 02-09-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Here we go:
    Some have asked how I could vote for tax cuts that added to the deficit. The simple answer is that I didn’t. Tax cuts are not spending. They are allowing you to keep more of your own money. We should plan for spending what comes in. In fact, per budget rules, the tax bill I voted on and supported was required to be paid for, and Congress had a year to figure out how. Ninety-one senators, including all Democrats, later voted against my effort to keep it that way.

I’ve voted against spending more, and I’ve proposed specific ways to cut spending and balance our budget. But I refuse to concede that we have a tax problem — we have a spending problem, and I will continue to fight to fix it.
    Thanks Randal.

In the early 80s I remember when Congress passed a $200B budget. I was young and knew little, but damned nearly swallowed my tongue upon learning of it. The sum was simply unimaginable.

Now Congress just added $500 billion ADDITIONAL from one year to the next and worthless Americans sit idly by as they are sold ever more deeply into abject, chattel slavery. And some of think there will be a renaissance of freedom. That's not even a joke.

Glad I will be leaving this world in a few years because humanity is just such a boring drag anymore, on the whole. In most cases I find drying paint more interesting than most people. Corruption is truly dull and so very and utterly uninteresting.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    How many Senators read that bill before voting?
    Is that a serious question?

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

This might be a good time for one of our esteemed congress-wretches to revive the idea of a bill limiting all future bills to not more than a single, double-spaced page in 12-point type.

Yeah, I know.

The only solace I take from all this insanity is the knowledge that we don't really owe anybody that much money.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand Paul
    But I refuse to concede that we have a tax problem — we have a spending problem, and I will continue to fight to fix it.

Thanks Randal.
    Thanks for what? We most decidedly do have a tax problem. How could he even dare say such a thing and think that he was so much as on the same planet as correct? Perhaps he needs to choose his words with a bit greater care because that statement is nuttier than squirrel poo.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    In the early 80s I remember when Congress passed a $200B budget. I was young and knew little, but damned nearly swallowed my tongue upon learning of it. The sum was simply unimaginable.

Now Congress just added $500 billion ADDITIONAL from one year to the next and worthless Americans sit idly by as they are sold ever more deeply into abject, chattel slavery. And some of think there will be a renaissance of freedom. That's not even a joke.

Glad I will be leaving this world in a few years because humanity is just such a boring drag anymore, on the whole. In most cases I find drying paint more interesting than most people. Corruption is truly dull and so very and utterly uninteresting.
    The most uninteresting people.

Who's this "we" of whom you speak?

Theye own. Themme. Rs and Ds are mere foot soldiers - symptoms of the deeper malady - the disease - the evil.

They'd be no whit better. The trillions spent on the military would go into their pockets and other "social" programs.

....says the guy accepting stolen money for pay. smh
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

Thanks for what? We most decidedly do have a tax problem. How could he even dare say such a thing and think that he was so much as on the same planet as correct? Perhaps he needs to choose his words with a bit greater care because that statement is nuttier than squirrel poo.
    So you don't think we tax enough? Because otherwise, you are taking his comment out of context in order to flip it to the wrong conclusion.

They'd be no whit better. The trillions spent on the military would go into their pockets and other "social" programs.
    Then we agree. I've had enough of the naivete that voting for Republicans is going to result in less government than voting for Democrats. Or that the "right" wing is going to make us more free than the "left" wing.

When somebody self-identifying as Republican, Conservative or Right Wing dishes out small government rhetoric, it's a prelude to an explosion of government "that would make Obama cringe." Every. Single. Time.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh, come on. Anyone with more than three brain cells to rub together will read that statement in context, and realize that he is saying the deficit is not there because we aren't paying enough tax, but rather the deficit is there because they are spending too damned much.

The deficit is not a tax problem, the deficit is a spending problem.

It just isn't that hard to understand. It really isn't.

Let the trolls deliberately and obtusely misunderstand the man. They don't need our help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    ....says the guy accepting stolen money for pay. smh
    Casually dropping accusations in your first post of 2018? What an entrance.

to our already out-of-control debt.
    Noting that Rand Paul voting for the tax cut bill voted to add a couple $trillion to the debt over the next decade too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Noting that Rand Paul voting for the tax cut bill voted to add a couple $trillion to the debt over the next decade too.
    You should have actually read what he wrote instead of regurgitating democrat lies. Cutting taxes adds nothing to the debt, spending adds to the debt and there is no spending in the tax cut bill. And as Randal has pointed out, he has always voted to cut spending and his proposals would have balanced the budget WITH the tax cuts in place. I'm disappointed, the old zippy would have actually read before commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Casually dropping accusations in your first post of 2018? What an entrance.
    That's why I hardly ever come here any more except to look at the charts on the home page....the silliness of politics is just....well.....too silly.
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    You should have actually read what he wrote instead of regurgitating democrat lies. Cutting taxes adds nothing to the debt, spending adds to the debt and there is no spending in the tax cut bill. And as Randal has pointed out, he has always voted to cut spending and his proposals would have balanced the budget WITH the tax cuts in place. I'm disappointed, the old zippy would have actually read before commenting.
    Cutting taxes reduces revenues. A deficit is the difference between revenues and spending. When you reduce revenues, you increase your deficit. The debt is the sum of every year's deficits so cutting taxed DOES add to the debt- unless those tax cuts are offset with spending cuts. Spending was not reduced but increased.

Cutting taxes reduces revenues. A deficit is the difference between revenues and spending. When you reduce revenues, you increase your deficit. The debt is the sum of every year's deficits so cutting taxed DOES add to the debt- unless those tax cuts are offset with spending cuts. Spending was not reduced but increased.
    You should have used CAPS LETTERS everywhere. It would have helped everybody get your point better.

He voted for spending cuts. He went to the trouble to create and submit a balanced budget. Ratchet up your stentorian tones and tell us all about how he should have pulled out his Magic 8 Ball and foreseen that the cut would pass, but the spending cuts would not.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    He voted for spending cuts. He went to the trouble to create and submit a balanced budget. Ratchet up your stentorian tones and tell us all about how he should have pulled out his Magic 8 Ball and foreseen that the cut would pass, but the spending cuts would not.
    Which bill was proposing cutting spending?

Troll rule #33: Always ask for more info. Play dumb as much as you can get away with and then some more.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Troll rule #33: Always ask for more info. Play dumb as much as you can get away with and then some more.
    Thank you for your informative contribution to the discussion.

The budget, troll. Caps. Did you not watch Faze the Nation this morning? Did you not read the OP? He asked for the spending caps to be addressed. This is all review, Zippy.

Thank you for your informative contribution to the discussion.
    Yeah. That. More to the point, try to keep up with the discussion. You're holding back the whole class with your real or feigned obtuseness.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    The existing spending caps still allowed the budget to grow- just not as much as the budget bill they passed will allow. It didn't cut spending.

He did submit a balanced budget plan- in 2011. It assumed that tax revenues grew 24% over the five years it would take to balance (revenue increases by assuming economic growth- not by higher tax rates).

Check out the revenues line in this comparison graph:

http://www.freedomworks.org/content/...ed-budget-plan
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-11-2018 at 11:07 PM.

Cutting regulations (some refer to tax cuts) can actually increase government revenue. Freer markets produce more.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast