Thread: Dow Plunges Another 1,000 Points

Dow Plunges Another 1,000 Points

http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2018/0...pook-investors
    NOTE: Source is believed to be Iranian, typically coming from PressTV.ir, expect bias, please post confirmation stories as you see them.

US stocks have plunged again with the Dow Jones industrial average experiencing a four-digit loss second time in a week due to fears of higher interest rates.

On Thursday, the Dow fell 1,032.89 points, or 4.15 percent, to 23,860.46. The Nasdaq Composite lost 274 points on the day, or 3.9 percent, to 6,777.16, while the S&P 500 closed with a 100-point loss, or 3.75 percent, to 2,581.08.

It was the second time in history the Dow has lost more than 1,000 points in a single day.

On Monday, the Dow suffered its biggest one-day point drop in history, plunging about 1,600 points during trading hours before recovering to close down at 1,175.

All the 30 companies that make up the Dow index were in the red on Monday, with Verizon, Microsoft, and Exxon Mobil each falling more than three percent.

Overall, the Dow has lost more than 2,000 points since January 26.

Full article on link, expect biased source.

---

Where's Zippy?

Is this the Crash of 2018?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I would estimate silver down one dollar since Jan 26 as well , or about 5 3/4 percent . gold , maybe dropped 2 1/2 percent since its recent high .

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post

Is this the Crash of 2018?
    No. This is nothing. 10 or 15% corrections happen almost every year. This past year was an anomaly.

The rates on 10 yr treasuries have gone up. That is certainly a sign of optimism for the economy and is historically good for markets. http://www.businessinsider.com/heres...gnaling-2018-2

This guy has made more money for investors than any hedge fund manager in history. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ra...ket-2018-02-05 https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/23/ray-...ty-stupid.html

Right now there is a divide between people who think the market was being optimistic because of tax cuts, and people who think it was being optimistic because Trump won and he is a "game changer". I don't know if economically we are doing as good as the talking heads say we are doing.

I think that it is going to be one of the new doublethink they insert into peoples minds. They will try to make people think the opposite of the truth so they can promote endless war without people whining about the economy.

Lets see how the correction plays out, Peter Schiff seems to think that unless the Fed stops raising interest rates and lowers interest rates there won't be enough capital. Moody's is considering downgrading us debt but he doesn't think that will happen.

I think the tax cuts got hyped and didn't get cut as much as the market was expecting, which might make a difference in our growth, we might slow down because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Right now there is a divide between people who think the market was being optimistic because of tax cuts, and people who think it was being optimistic because Trump won and he is a "game changer".
    They are one in the same.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    They are one in the same.
    That's not what I was saying entirely- unless you mean false hope about Trump being a game changer and false hope about fiscal policy reform is the same. There wasn't any retro active tax cuts and they didn't cut any spending, spending is increasing so essentially there is a difference because the government is printing and collecting a lot more money then the markets were predicting.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    That's not what I was saying entirely- unless you mean false hope about Trump being a game changer and false hope about fiscal policy reform is the same. There wasn't any retro active tax cuts and they didn't cut any spending, spending is increasing so essentially there is a difference because the government is printing and collecting a lot more money then the markets were predicting.

I was under the impression the spending bill hand't passed yet, because Rand.

But either way, spending ALWAYS increases, that has been a constant for decades so this is nothing new.

The difference is that working Americans just got a huge tax break and so did corporations. Most of us here who work will be making an extra few thousand dollars a year just from tax breaks even if we don't get a substancial raise from our company, plus we might end up seeing some substantive raises or bonuses come from cutting corporate taxes.

Since spending is probably increasing, like it always has, we will have some inflation, but working Americans will be able to afford it better than people who are on welfare or don't pay taxes, for a change.

Additionally, businesses are still making the decision to do more business here because of the relatively lower corporate tax rate. We have to compete with other countries and their corporate tax rate. So we will continue to see more jobs and hopefully the 30% of the country who are non-workers, we will see that number start to go down.

Yes we still have a huge debt and our economy still might crash or go into a heavy recession due to longterm issues that Trump had no control over.. but he is making substantive changes in the economy for the better. A nearly 15% decrease in the corporate tax rate is nothing to scoff at.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

The USA's annual growth rate of gross domestic product (GDP) ranks 121st in the world.
    That’s below an economic giant like… Congo.

The USA is one of only four countries with a debt above 100% of GDP, which is still rising rapidly.
    The others are Mozambique, Bhutan, and Lebanon: http://aanirfan.blogspot.nl/2018/02/...g-economy.html

Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Loving these taxcuts. Amazing job Trump! Giving the money back to the people.

Everybody increases spending so it's ok when trump does it too.

I was under the impression the spending bill hand't passed yet, because Rand.

But either way, spending ALWAYS increases, that has been a constant for decades so this is nothing new.

The difference is that working Americans just got a huge tax break and so did corporations. Most of us here who work will be making an extra few thousand dollars a year just from tax breaks even if we don't get a substancial raise from our company, plus we might end up seeing some substantive raises or bonuses come from cutting corporate taxes.

Since spending is probably increasing, like it always has, we will have some inflation, but working Americans will be able to afford it better than people who are on welfare or don't pay taxes, for a change.

Additionally, businesses are still making the decision to do more business here because of the relatively lower corporate tax rate. We have to compete with other countries and their corporate tax rate. So we will continue to see more jobs and hopefully the 30% of the country who are non-workers, we will see that number start to go down.

Yes we still have a huge debt and our economy still might crash or go into a heavy recession due to longterm issues that Trump had no control over.. but he is making substantive changes in the economy for the better. A nearly 15% decrease in the corporate tax rate is nothing to scoff at.
    Oh, dannno...

First, Rand was only a temporary delay. Your GOP government passed the CR this morning and your hero signed it. http://https://www.defensenews.com/congress/2018/02/09/congress-votes-to-end-government-shutdown-sending-bill-to-president/

Secondly, I applaud the tax break, but you have to understand its implications. It means that the velocity of money is going to rise. The glacier-slow velocity of money is what was hiding all the inflation from years of QE. This means to prevent it from roaring back in, interest rates are going to rise. They won't have a choice - they'll have to try to keep the wheels from coming off.

And guess who that is going to hurt the worst??? Here's a hint: It ain't the billionaires.

Really, the only thing that could have helped this situation is a dramatic cut in government spending. Instead, your dear leader just signed a dramatic INCREASE in government spending! And you can say, "spending ALWAYS increases" but not like this! Spending of this magnitude only happens when one party controls the government. So instead of the government feeling the coming pinch, it's going to be low income people and the young and old. If you had to come up with a plan to hasten an implosion, I'm not sure you could have come up with anything better.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post

Lol, you really think Donald Trump would misspell Dow Jones????

And, this goes here: http://www.businessinsider.com/trump...idented-2017-4
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Did you find any of those particularly egregious?

The first two were bull$#@! so I stopped reading, and the one I was responding to was a fake tweet.

Anybody who has ever done any messaging or whatever on a smart phone knows that sometimes you spell something out incorrectly by "fat fingering" and hit the "post" or send button instead of the "back" button. Then there is god damn auto-correct, which was probably why he spelled "peace" "peach", or that could have been a fat finger as well.

Why go half ass? Reduce the tax rates to zero for everyone and double spending and watch the economy REALLY take off.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post

How much will you save on your taxes this year?

West Texas Light Crude Oil went under 60 today , Brent Crude Oil @ 62.79 , both down about 3 1/3 percent . Wholesale gasoline down to 1.70 . Copper & Gold still pretty strong with copper over 3 and gold over 1310 . Natural Gas down almost five percent , but it has been a little high anyway . Heating Oil down about 3 1/2 percent to 1.86 which is good news probably for the Northeast . Philip Morris pretty solid at about 100 ( 52 week low @ 96 ) . One year oil forecast dropped 3 bucks to 68 in the past couple days , that means no real , great expected economic growth is my take .

How much will you save on your taxes this year?

Oh just stop with the sycophantic pro-Trump $#@!ing bull$#@!, will you?

Thanks to the fact that there have not only been no significant cuts in spending, but have in fact been significant increases, my children and grandchildren will most certainly have to suffer under drastically higher taxes, an even further devalued dollar and all of the other economic evils that go along with runaway spending. In exchange for this we get minor tax breaks now. Whoopee. I'd gladly give up my token tax breaks to spare my kids and grandkids what's now certain to come their way. What kind of human being would I be if I wouldn't?

$#@! Trump. $#@! CONgress.
    Last edited by CCTelander; 02-09-2018 at 10:36 PM.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Yeah, I actually thought that he could...

Maybe I should've used a little more restraint in posting: https://www.snopes.com/did-trump-twe...ent-dow-joans/

Thise one's for Dannno...

Michael Savage, in a perfect imitation of Alex Jones, claims that the Deep State crashed the economy on purpose... to destroy Donald Trump; debunked.

Last edited by Firestarter; 02-10-2018 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Added video
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post

These tax cuts are not being paid for, which means that yet again, govt gives us what we want now at the expense of the future.

Tax cuts (and even tax increases) in general end up coming at the cost of decreasing the value of the dollar, which will translate directly into inflation. What we see as "good" right now is not necessarily the best thing for us. Problem is, how do we get to a version of the future where the value of currency does not bottom out and not screw up the present day where people can afford to have a business open that isnt choked to death on regulations, fees, fines, licenses and other crap that causes many new businesses to shut down within the first two years?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.