Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rand Paul Holds Up Spending Vote (2/8/18)

gonna have to bookmark this timecode for when people make the stupid argument about him voting for tax cuts:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgI7...outu.be&t=2712

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    Cornyn, the majority whip, accused him of "wasting everybody's time and inconveniencing the staff." - lazy arsehole and staff.
    "Senate leaders, facing an implacable foe in Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky, adjourned the chamber until just after midnight,
    conceding they could not prevent at least a short-term government shutdown, which will begin Friday morning."

House slipped in their vote in the wee hours . . .

looking for correct Senate roll call to find the 28 Nays of 02.09.2018
    Rand publicly embarrassed them showing they have no backbone and are hypocrites. Politicians hate it when they have to take responsibility for spending(wasting) peoples money. There should be incredible tight rules rand oversight required for spending a dime, unless its a declared emergency by the entire congress, senate and pres.
    USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

Don't miss the comments... clik on People Are Talking About This (above, bottom)
    Last edited by goldenequity; 02-09-2018 at 10:09 AM.

Well, thanks for trying Rand.
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Funny stuff.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

some Republican quotes

from this story:
    Frustrated Republicans accuse Paul of forcing pointless shutdown
    BY JORDAIN CARNEY - 02/08/18 11:05 PM EST
    http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...tless-shutdown
    Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas)
    "I don't know why we are basically burning time here while the senator from Kentucky and others are sitting in the cloakroom wasting everybody's time and inconveniencing the staff... (Paul) "will effectively shut down the federal government for no real reason." "grossly irresponsible" 'GOP leadership wouldn't "reward bad behavior."'

Sen. John Thune (S.D.)
    "colossal waste of everyone’s time."
    "Well, he never gets a result. But he always—what can you say?"

Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.).
    "You can make a point all you want but points are forgotten. There aren’t a lot of history books written about the great points of the U.S. Senate"

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.),
    "I don't know why we didn't vote on his amendment. It would have been ... the right thing to do. But at the same time he's not getting a vote. It kind of seems ridiculous to, you know, shut down the government for even an hour or two,"

Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.)
    'quipped: "I'm just having a ball. Just having a ball. Living the dream."' (I guess that's sarcasm)

Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.)
    Called Cornyn's comments "arrogant." "It speaks volumes about his 'leadership' that he views public debate on one of the largest spending increases in history as 'bad behavior.' Congress needs new leaders who respect the legislative process,"

And Democrat Chris Coons said, "I once again fail to see the point of what Sen. Paul is doing. This has been an experience I have had many times in our seven years together. He is a wonderful colleague who has mastered the art of ticking off his colleagues,"
    Last edited by Valli6; 02-09-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    Lindsey is hammering Rand on Fox News right now.
    I bet he would like to
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    Rand Paul's Epic Speech on Government Spending 02.08.18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgI7eJX5dQE
    That is one of the best speeches I've ever heard. The amount of research, detail, and preparation that went into this is incredible. Thank you so much for sharing.

Jeff Deist, President of the Mises Institute, spoke with Daniel McAdams last Friday and during their conversation stated that a lot of foreign affairs spending is not even included in the military budget. Daniel agreed that a lot of this spending is hidden in other agencies. Here's a clip from their discussion:

Jeff Deist: I'd like to get into the numbers a little bit and I think we're going to see that you can be for limited government, or you can be for our current foreign policy, but you can't be for both.

Right now the Federal budget is about $4 trillion. You can silo that into so-called mandatory spending on medicare, social security, and medicaid. That's $2 trillion of it right there. We have over $1 trillion in over all so-called "defense" spending. That's $3 trillion. So really you're left with less than a quarter of the budget remains for the kind of things the Federal Government purports to do, things we think they shouldn't do, but in the public's mind things like schools, and roads, and farm policy, and welfare, and all these things are actually just this tiny sliver of the Federal budget.

[…]

Jeff Deist: The 2018 military budget is $824 billion. But I know you've argued, and we've talked about this offline, that there's a lot of hidden "defense" spending in places like the State Dpt. budget. Talk about that a little bit.
    Daniel McAdams: Well certainly in State [Dpt.], you've got Homeland Security, you've got a counter-intelligence component in the FBI, you've got the Dpt. of Energy that does our nuclear program, you've got the interest on the war debt which is a huge chunk of money as well. You've got Veterans expenses -- those are related to the cost of our military empire. So when you add it up it's definitely over $1 trillion and many others have marked it as over $1 trillion per year and rising. And the question is: "what do we get for it?" And we're told we're even less secure than ever after 16 years, 17 years, fighting this war on terror. We're even more vulnerable than ever. So where does this money go?
    Jeff Deist: So is the appropriation for VA / Veteran's Affairs separate from the DOD appropriations? Is that housed elsewhere in the Federal Budget?
    Daniel McAdams: Yes. That's a separate appropriations. [...]
    Jeff Deist: Just think of how many 20 and 30 year olds we now have who have mental or physical injuries from Iraq and Afghanistan that will require medical care for the rest of their lives. They might live to be in their 90's. And of course with battlefield medicine now alot of people survive that might not have survived in earlier wars. Has anyone ever done a study of what our future VA costs might look like?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBytleU5HoI&t=5m3s
    So the gist of this sounds like a budget that looks something like the following:

And I wonder what other areas, in addition to those mentioned by Daniel, would be included in this? We give billions of $'s per year to many foreign countries even beyond what Rand mentioned in what we give to Pakistan. Also a lot of NGOs like USAID, NED, IRI, etc., have become front groups for the CIA for regime change in other countries; they are non-governmental organizations but U.S. taxpayer dollars go to them. Certainly the whole issue of Sanctions on other countries is part of our Treasury Department. And where, exactly, do all the 17 intelligence agencies fit in that pie above? They are all, i think, under the DNI (director of national intelligence). But are they included in the military budget or the other part of the discretionary budget?

I really wonder if everything Daniel mentioned, in addition to these other areas, were all added up, exactly how much that would come to?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123