Thread: The use of mouthwash linked to increased risk of type 2 diabetes

The use of mouthwash linked to increased risk of type 2 diabetes

The use of mouthwash linked to increased risk of type 2 diabetes

While oral health is important, if you are already at a higher risk for type 2 diabetes – due to genetics or lifestyle decisions – then, using mouthwash could be increasing it significantly. A recent study out of Harvard University has found that persons who use mouthwash twice per day are up to 55 percent more likely to develop full blown type 2 diabetes within 3 years.

The Harvard University scientists were looking to analyze links between standard over-the-counter mouthwash and its link to metabolic disorders due to the antibacterial ingredients it contains. What they discovered is incredible!

Using mouthwash twice per day raises type 2 diabetes risk by 30 percent
    For the study, 1,206 overweight persons between the ages of 40 and 65 were examined. All members of this group had been determined to be at high risk for type 2 diabetes. Of those studied, 17 percent developed either type 2 diabetes or prediabetes symptoms.

This number rose to 20 percent in persons who rinsed with mouthwash once per day. While this was just a 3 percent increase, what really got the researchers’ attention was the results for those participants who used mouthwash twice or more per day. These individuals had a 30 percent higher chance of developing either type 2 diabetes or prediabetes.

Mouthwash, like antibiotics, kills bad and good bacteria
    Why would this be? The researchers speculated it is due to the fact that the antibacterial agents in mouthwash are not selective. Instead of just targeting the harmful bacteria in the mouth, these products target a broad range of bacteria – including the beneficial strains.

When positive bacteria are killed in the mouth through the use of mouthwash, the body is inhibited in its ability to prevent and protect against type 2 diabetes. People who overuse mouthwash are also more prone to obesity due to killing off assistive microbes that assist the body in producing nitric oxide – which helps to regulate the insulin levels in the bloodstream.

Mouthwash seems like a ‘harmless’ enough product that can bring benefits to oral health. So, for many people, it’s hard to believe that using mouthwash could actually be harmful to any aspect of our health. But, recent revelations related to the destruction of ‘good’ bacteria and the negative effects of overusing antibiotics substantiate this kind of information.

Consider healthier alternatives to mouthwash to support oral health
    Discover the best ways to maintain healthy teeth and gums – register now for the Holistic Oral Health Summit, hosted by Jonathan Landsman

The mechanisms of type 2 diabetes also share common pathways with blood pressure issues. While these results do not mean that mouthwash causes diabetes, they seem to be compelling evidence that its overuse could impair the body’s protective mechanisms.

Add to this the fact that most conventional mouthwashes are loaded with toxic ingredients including artificial colors, sweeteners and fluoride, anyone who currently uses mouthwash should be looking for healthier alternatives.

For example, there are a few good quality herbal rinses like, Nature’s Answer PerioBrite or you can try brushing with some essential oils like, neem, clove or peppermint oil. You’ll be left with a fresh, clean and happy mouth – without the toxic ingredients.

Sources for this article include:

Diabetes.co.uk
    ScienceDirect.com
    https://www.naturalhealth365.com/mou...alth-2447.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    While these results do not mean that mouthwash causes diabetes,
    So basically it's just a big fat ad for the "safe" mouthwash they peddle.

Chinese click-bait site to boot. The grammar is always a tell. Seriously - the writing is horrible. Posting their links here gives them better Google ranking, so I'm sure they appreciate your support.
    Last edited by angelatc; 02-07-2018 at 09:57 AM.

Here's a link by a real doctor who can construct a proper sentence and who isn't trying to sell you "safe" products in the discussion.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertg.../#112d1c326c1c

The association held even when adjusting for education, income, sleep breathing disorders, factors related to oral hygiene, fasting glucose, diet (processed meat, fruit, and vegetable intake) smoking, and obesity.

While the study noted an association between frequent use of mouthwash and development of diabetes, this is not a cause and effect relationship.

Additional research will be necessary to see if these findings can be replicated in a larger population.

For now, until further data is available, it might be a good idea to limit mouthwash use to once a day, especially if you are overweight, have a strong family history of diabetes, or an elevated hemoglobin A1C (a blood test to screen for prediabetes or diabetes).

Could mouthwash be putting you at risk of diabetes?

Published Tuesday 28 November 2017 By Honor Whiteman Fact checked by Jasmin Collier

For many of us, a swig of mouthwash twice per day forms a part of our oral hygiene routine. But according to new research, this seemingly beneficial practice may pose a surprising health risk: mouthwash use could increase the risk of diabetes.

Researchers suggest that using mouthwash at least twice every day destroys "friendly" oral bacteria, which can, in turn, alter blood sugar metabolism and promote diabetes, particularly for people who are already at high risk for the condition.

Study co-author Rakesh P. Patel — from the Department of Pathology and Center for Free Radical Biology in the University of Alabama at Birmingham — and colleagues have published their findings in the journal Nitric Oxide.

It is estimated that around 30.3 million people in the United States have diabetes, which is a condition characterized by high blood glucose levels.

A further 84.1 million adults in the U.S. have prediabetes, wherein blood glucose levels are higher than normal but are not high enough to warrant a diabetes diagnosis.

Being overweight is one of the biggest risk factors for diabetes. According to the new study, the simple practice of using mouthwash could exacerbate this risk.

Diabetes risk increased by 55 percent
    The scientists came to their intriguing findings by analyzing the data of 1,206 overweight or obese adults aged 40–65. All adults were part of the San Juan Overweight Adults Longitudinal Study, and they were free of diabetes and major cardiovascular diseases at study baseline.

As part of the study, participants were asked how often they used mouthwash. A total of 43 percent of the subjects said that they used mouthwash at least once daily, while 22 percent said that they used it at least twice daily.

Over an average of 3 years of follow-up, the team monitored the development of prediabetes or diabetes among the participants. A total of 945 subjects were included in the final analysis.

Just two sugary drinks per week may raise type 2 diabetes risk
    Just two sugary drinks per week may raise type 2 diabetes risk
    Drinking as few as two sugary beverages each week could lead to type 2 diabetes, say researchers.
    READ NOW
    Compared with participants who did not use mouthwash, those who reported using mouthwash at least twice daily were 55 percent more likely to develop prediabetes or diabetes over 3 years.

There was no association between using mouthwash less than twice per day and the risk of prediabetes or diabetes, the researchers report.

These findings persisted after accounting for a number of possible confounding factors, including diet, oral hygiene, sleep disorders, medication use, fasting glucose levels, income, and education levels.

Commenting on their findings, Patel and colleagues write:

"Frequent regular use of over-the-counter mouthwash was associated with increased risk of developing prediabetes/diabetes in this population."
    Mouthwash may destroy 'good' oral bacteria
    Many mouthwashes contains antibacterial compounds — such as chlorhexidine — that kill bacteria in order to help prevent gingivitis, tooth decay, and other oral health conditions.

Patel and colleagues suspect that these compounds also destroy "good" bacteria in the mouth that are important for the formation of nitric oxide, which is a chemical compound that helps to regulate insulin — the hormone that controls blood sugar levels.

Therefore, the destruction of this beneficial bacteria could encourage the development of diabetes.

Given that more than 200 million people in the U.S. use mouthwash, these latest findings could be a cause for concern. However, it is important to note that the study is purely observational.

Patel and colleagues say that further research is needed to determine whether a seemingly innocent oral hygiene product is really a risk factor for diabetes.
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320199.php
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

That one's much better written and there's no conspicuous product placement in the text. Good job.

When I use mouthwash (not often), I use Tom's Of Maine. Listerine and other OTC brands are pretty foul and usually have some harsh ingredients in them. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I think this is more of a "marijuana is a gateway drug" logic in application.

For example (and the following is purely fiction on my part to prove out my point):

"Studies find that 100% of methamphetamine addicts all have either eaten or currently consume hot dogs, raising concerns about the ease that people can obtain this possible gateway food."

So some students did a study concerning possible aggravating factors leading into Type 2 Diabetes with a group of overweight people between 40 and 65 and out of the 1,206 of that group 241 used more mouthwash than the rest and were at higher risks for developing Type 2. What's missing is the number of times per day this higher risk group eats and uses mouthwash after these meals. Or a controlled diet comparison (I know they say they accounted for diet, but unless they had all subjects on the same diet and physical regime, there is a LOT of wiggle room to ignore or invent facts). Or a genetic predisposition comparison.

The issue of Nitric Oxide is an interesting one though. Being that it's a natural component of saliva (meaning even if you sterilize it all with mouth wash it is something almost immediately replenished) one would think that claim false. But, and I didn't know this until I read to check I was correct in what I was thinking, our production of Nitric Acid halves by age 40....which lends credence to the possibility of causing unintended harm to our digestive system as we age.

It's an interesting article and I do believe I'll follow it as they do more studies.
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato

So if somebody has a shot of whiskey, (seems like that would be like a mouthwash) they are going to have up to 55% higher chance of getting type 2 diabetes?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    So if somebody has a shot of whiskey, (seems like that would be like a mouthwash) they are going to have up to 55% higher chance of getting type 2 diabetes?
    I'm curious; do you swish whiskey in your mouth for a couple of minutes then spit it out?

Alcohol is an endocrine disruptor, nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I'm curious; do you swish whiskey in your mouth for a couple of minutes then spit it out?

Alcohol is an endocrine disruptor, nonetheless.
    I might if I thought I had some microbe in my mouth that needed to be killed. Typically, I swallow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    No , because it tastes better and I swallow it .

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I have been known to do that quite a few times, except the spit it out part. Savor the flavor and all that.