Thread: Comedy Is Not Pretty, and Nowadays It Isn’t Even Funny

Exclamation Comedy Is Not Pretty, and Nowadays It Isn’t Even Funny

Comedy Is Not Pretty, and Nowadays It Isn’t Even Funny

https://www.wsj.com/articles/comedy-...nny-1517963485

With sanctimony having replaced humor, the only thing left to laugh at is the farce of politics itself.

By Joseph Epstein
    Feb. 6, 2018 7:31 p.m. ET

I found myself seated at my computer last month, watching on YouTube the comedian Bill Maher talk about Donald Trump’s marriage. If you don’t share Mr. Maher’s politics, you are likely to find him an odious, even loathsome character, for he doesn’t really exist outside politics. His standard tone is mockery, his modus operandi to lacerate his targets with obscenities, flash a nervous smile, and then bask in applause from his audience.

I was watching Mr. Maher on YouTube to see how far he would go on the subject of the Trump marriage. Would he attack the Trumps’ 11-year-old son, or perhaps attack the family for not having a dog? No surprise, he brought up the allegations of sexual harassment against Mr. Trump. Stormy Daniels was mentioned. His final punch line was that Melania Trump hadn’t accompanied her husband to Davos, Switzerland, because she had spent the day having to “lay a wreath on the tomb of the unknown trophy wife.”

Donald Trump has been a great boon to late-night talk-show hosts. His baroque hairdo, his hyperbole, his general extravagance, his unabashed egotism—all these things and more are in the wheelhouse of today’s liberal comedians. Without him, Bill Maher and Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Kimmel and Seth Meyers would be practically out of business. Jon Stewart must wake each morning filled with regret for his wretched timing at retiring just as Mr. Trump came into office.

Yet to have taken what I think of as the Trumpian option in their comedy has rendered these comedians charmless while strikingly limiting their audiences to those who share their politics. I recently wrote a book on the subject of charm, in preparation for which I asked a great many people to name five persons in public life they thought charming. No one could do it. In a political time as divisive as ours, a public figure loses roughly half his following—and hence his charm—just as soon as he announces his politics. For an entertainer to do so is perhaps even more hazardous.

That the late-night talk-show hosts are ready to give up a large share of the audience to indulge their politics is something new in American comedy. Whatever Jack Benny, the Marx Brothers, Milton Berle, Joan Rivers or Johnny Carson might have thought about what was happening in Washington, they wisely kept it to themselves. When Charlie Chaplin was revealed as a Communist fellow-traveler in the late 1930s it hurt his reputation, though he never allowed his politics directly to influence his art. On the other side, when Bob Hope found himself, because of his support for the Vietnam War, aligned with Richard Nixon, many of his most steadfast fans deserted him. The lesson, one should have thought, is that comedy and politics don’t mix.

Unless, that is, the comedy is done with consummate subtlety. Mort Sahl, whom Steve Allen called “the only real political philosopher we have in modern comedy,” was one of the few with the talent to pull it off. I recall an instance when he appeared on the Johnny Carson show. Carson asked Mr. Sahl how he was. Not so good, the comedian answered. He had recently received a letter from the NAACP that admonished him, as a good liberal, for not having a black comedian in his act. Acknowledging his error, Mr. Sahl said he had hired a brilliant young black comic to work with him. Then he paused, looked down at his watch, and said, “He should have been here by now.” It took the audience fully 15 seconds to get the joke, when ripples, then roars of laughter followed.

Yet even Mr. Sahl lost ground when he became caught up, obsessed really, with conspiracy theories about the assassination of John F. Kennedy, and he spent years trying to regain, which he never quite did, his former cachet as the most brilliant of our comics. Clearly, Americans prefer that comedians keep their distance from political involvement.

Mr. Sahl, now in his 90s, still regularly appears before small audiences at a theater in California and occasionally sends out political tweets. Alas, none of this has the sharpness of Mort Sahl in his prime—but neither are his remarks about Donald Trump as coarse as the cheap-shot humor of our contemporary late-night hosts.

Enough people must share the views of these hosts to keep the careers of Maher, Colbert, Kimmel & Co. afloat, which is to say to keep their ratings high enough to be commercially viable. Yet these insufficiently funny comedians, with their crude political humor, do little more than add to the sad divisiveness that is rending the country. Something, surely, has been lost if one can no longer turn to comedy as a relief from the general woes of life and the greater farce that has for some years now been playing out in our everyday politics.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sadtire: A process where a person stands before a crowd with political correctness and virtue signaling.

DefCOMedy 1
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Bill Maher isn't funny and most definitely a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Horse_Rider View Post
    He is just plain annoying.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    He is just plain annoying.
    Maher is an azzhole.
    "Religulous" is proof of that.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Real humor has a dose of reality in it. My grandchildren are hilarious. So refreshing from their young, naive point of view. My nephew's 4yo son will sneak his mom's phone and make hilarious videos based on something he's seen.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Acknowledging his error, Mr. Sahl said he had hired a brilliant young black comic to work with him. Then he paused, looked down at his watch, and said, “He should have been here by now.” It took the audience fully 15 seconds to get the joke, when ripples, then roars of laughter followed.
    Anybody, know the punchline for this?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post
    C'mon... Think about it, from a rude stereotype POV.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah, haven't been able to sit thru a SNL for some time.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

I think Standup's problem, from my pov, is so often they have no earthly idea what they're talking about. What I mean is, they don't do anything; sure they travel, but how many mix company? Except for a few, they seem artificial, and their satire at least, if they're doing satire, is typically shallow. I like a little more worldliness.

Jon Stewart must wake each morning filled with regret for his wretched timing at retiring just as Mr. Trump came into office.
    Very sad to say, but he actually works for the Late Show with Stephen Colbert.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Acknowledging his error, Mr. Sahl said he had hired a brilliant young black comic to work with him. Then he paused, looked down at his watch, and said, “He should have been here by now.” It took the audience fully 15 seconds to get the joke, when ripples, then roars of laughter followed.
    Fvckit, I totally don't get it. What rude stereotype is this supposed to be alluding to? Spell it out please.
    Last edited by Valli6; 02-07-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Great comedy reveals great truth.

Ain't no great truths being revealed by the aforementioned "comics".
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

The only good thing about these types of contemporary times is that, by the time the next generation starts growing up all of this political correctness is what the new jokes are all about, you know, rebel against what was cool before.They get so used to it, they are not shocked like they supposed to be.... familiarity breeds contempt.... which breeds comedy.

FJB

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Horse_Rider View Post
    He did a few funny routines. Then moved on to being lame forevarrr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    Yeah, haven't been able to sit thru a SNL for some time.
    Has it been funny since the 90s? I quit watching back then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    Fvckit, I totally don't get it. What rude stereotype is this supposed to be alluding to? Spell it out please.
    Lazy black folks that can't show up for work on time.

I was wondering when someone would comment on this new president-comedy angle. I flip thru the channels and see nothing but whiny metrosexuals and fatty girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Lazy black folks that can't show up for work on time.
    Thanks.
    (I actually considered that, but it didn't seem jokey enough. Guess you had to hear it in context, at that point in time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    Thanks.
    (I actually considered that, but it didn't seem jokey enough. Guess you had to hear it in context, at that point in time.)
    Yea, I am not really getting it as a comedy material.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    I was wondering when someone would comment on this new president-comedy angle. I flip thru the channels and see nothing but whiny metrosexuals and fatty girls.
    I feel like I'm watching an apology tour, when I try new comedians. With few exceptions, they just aren't gutsy. Satirize Trump, but ffs fight the echo chamber.