Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GOP & Dems On Verge of Bipartisan Budget Compromise

GOP & Dems On Verge of Bipartisan Budget Compromise

The compromise being, of course, more warfare and more welfare.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ing/309852002/

WASHINGTON — The Senate’s Republican and Democratic leaders said Tuesday they were on the verge of reaching a sweeping budget agreement that could break a four-month spending stalemate that has gripped Washington.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., both declined to detail their talks and said no deal has been finalized. But they both suggested a breakthrough was imminent.

"I’m optimistic that very soon we’ll be able to reach an agreement," McConnell told reporters.

Schumer said he and McConnell had agreed to lift the tight budget caps that limit how much Congress can provide for defense and non-defense domestic programs alike. Republicans have been pushing for a major increase in defense spending. Democrats said they would sign off on that if they got a similar boost for domestic programs like health care and education.

“We don’t want to just do one and leave the other behind,” Schumer said. “The two don’t conflict with each other.”

While Schumer declined to offer specifics, he and other Senate Democrats said the agreement would include increased spending for at least three domestic priorities: infrastructure, veterans’ health care, and combating the opioid epidemic.
    As for the 'defense' portion of the spending increase:

News of the budget deal came as House Republican leaders were poised to call up the fifth short-term spending bill so far this fiscal year. It would fund the Pentagon for a full year at $659 billion but keep domestic programs on a short leash, with only enough money to last through March 23.

The measure — set for a House vote Tuesday evening — is designed to satisfy hardline conservatives who are demanding a big increase in defense funding. Conservatives do not support a similar increase in domestic funding, and that has been at the heart of the budgetary impasse.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Now Trump's talking about a shutdown if they don't include yet more spending (for border boondoggles in this case).

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1FQ21Q

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday he would “love” to see another government shutdown as Republicans and Democrats in Congress worked to reach a budget deal that would prevent federal agencies from having to close their doors this week.
    Somehow, I expect they're all going to get what they want.

Shut it down and quit paying them .

I would like to see a 6 month shutdown at the very least, I want useless government workers forced to quit and look for other jobs and Rand's shutdown prevention act passed as the resolution.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Shut it down and quit paying them .
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I would like to see a 6 month shutdown at the very least, I want useless government workers forced to quit and look for other jobs and Rand's shutdown prevention act passed as the resolution.
    That's not how it works, though.

The workers furloughed will get back pay when it reopens, and there are costs associated with closing and then reopening offices.

The shutdown itself is neutral to bad from a fiscal point of view.

What matters is the end result in terms of budget deal reached (whether to prevent a shutdown or to end it).

...and, in this case, that deal is almost certainly going to involve a dramatic spending increase.

Eye on the ball people...

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    That's not how it works, though.

The workers furloughed will get back pay when it reopens, and there are costs associated with closing and then reopening offices.

The shutdown itself is neutral to bad from a fiscal point of view.

What matters is the end result in terms of budget deal reached (whether to prevent a shutdown or to end it).

...and, in this case, that deal is almost certainly going to involve a dramatic spending increase.

Eye on the ball people...
    Ya , I say leave it down until there are spending decreases .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Ya , I say leave it down until there are spending decreases .
    Works for me, but that's not what's happening.

This is different factions of big government people trying to make sure each of their pet welfare schemes gets funded.

House passes stopgap spending measure with defense money

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/372643-house-passes-stopgap-spending-measure-with-defense-money

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    House passes stopgap spending measure with defense money

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/37...-defense-money
    Well, I can't seem to find the bill number to check the vote, but I know at least one Congressman voted against it:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Amash
    The Republican and Democratic establishments are currently devising the most irresponsible spending “deal” since 2009. They refuse to compromise to cut waste. Instead, if this plan moves forward, we’ll get hundreds of billions of dollars in increased spending.

The Senate is considering a two year deal with higher spending pretty much across the board.

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/06/58365...-spending-punt

"I'm optimistic that very soon we'll be able to reach an agreement," McConnell told reporters after the meeting.

Schumer said the pair "are closer to an agreement than we have ever been."

That plan is expected to lock in increases for domestic and military spending for two years. Such a plan would provide Congress a much-needed respite from what has become a constant struggle to keep the government funded.
    The House is proposing another extension with more military spending included.

hat plan is expected to lock in increases for domestic and military spending for two years. Such a plan would provide Congress a much-needed respite from what has become a constant struggle to keep the government funded.
    Poor babies, it's hard work bankrupting the country.

This is why I preferred Clinton, on pragmatic grounds. The GOP would have opposed her simply out of spite and political opportunism, much like they did with Obama post 2010.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    This is why I preferred Clinton, on pragmatic grounds. The GOP would have opposed her simply out of spite and political opportunism, much like they did with Obama post 2010.
    I think that it's less about the personalities and more about conflict. Things seem to work better when the president and congress are in opposition. I'm not sure if which party has which matters.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    I think that it's less about the personalities and more about conflict. Things seem to work better when the president and congress are in opposition. I'm not sure if which party has which matters.
    No it matters a lot, they had to do a false flag against America because we had a fake non interventionist president. They will get what they want by hook or by crook, if you don't want to get the hook again you beg for the crook again.

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    The RINOs sold out to O'Bummer constantly and they would have done so even worse under Hitlery.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The RINOs sold out to O'Bummer constantly and they would have done so even worse under Hitlery.
    They're also selling out to Trump.

Would RINOs sell out less or more to Hillary than they do to Trump?
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They're also selling out to Trump.

Would RINOs sell out less or more to Hillary than they do to Trump?
    More, and the Dems would vote in lockstep.

She'd be racking up "accomplishments" right and left.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Here's the deal the Senate's getting ready to pass:

Under tentative numbers discussed by congressional aides who were not authorized to speak publicly about the negotiations, defense spending would get an $80 billion boost above the existing $549 billion slated for 2018. Nondefense spending would rise by $63 billion from its current $516 billion. The 2019 budget would include similar increases...A disaster aid package aimed at the victims of recent hurricanes and wildfires is also part of the talks, potentially adding $80 billion or more to the deal’s overall price tag.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.468e8c5ec490

It'll then go back to the House, who will pass this with Democratic support over the objection of Amash et al.

Bipartisan is just another word for BOHICA.
    Last edited by CCTelander; 02-07-2018 at 12:13 PM.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Bond yields rising in response

Bond yields rising in response
    It'll be interesting to see what happens if this deal get finalized. Does the "2 years" mean the debt ceiling will get suspended for 2 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what happens if this deal get finalized. Does the "2 years" mean the debt ceiling will get suspended for 2 years?
    I think the 2 years is for the budget itself, not the debt ceiling, but that'll be sure to follow.

I think the 2 years is for the budget itself, not the debt ceiling, but that'll be sure to follow.
    All this budget stuff is so confusing. There's the budget resolution, the government funding shutdown, the debt ceiling shutdown, etc. The only one that I think I understand is the debt ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    All this budget stuff is so confusing. There's the budget resolution, the government funding shutdown, the debt ceiling shutdown, etc. The only one that I think I understand is the debt ceiling.
    It is confusing, a very chaotic process.

Why, it's almost like having 535 mercenary nincompoops try to run the world is a bad idea..

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just announced, the deal also includes a suspension of the debt ceiling, through March 2019 (no limit credit card, adjustable rate, act now!).

Just announced, the deal also includes a suspension of the debt ceiling, through March 2019 (no limit credit card, adjustable rate, act now!).

So, BOHICA with no lube and a little sand thrown in for good measure? Lovely.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Unlimited everything.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Now WH saying they support Senate deal, walking back Trump's comments about holding out for increased border spending.

So, I'd say that's about it. This should glide through Congress and be signed sometime tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    So, BOHICA with no lube and a little sand thrown in for good measure? Lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Amash, a few minutes ago
    This spending proposal is disgusting and reckless—the biggest spending increase since 2009. I urge every American to speak out against this fiscal insanity.
    No word from Rand yet, but you can imagine what he'll say.

Yeah, that's the new normal. They started suspending it instead of raising it about 4 or 5 years ago.

Here's a little short term prediction. I'll bet if they pass it the Dow makes a new high over the next couple days. But at around the same time the 10 year will break 3% and the market will re-crash.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast