Thread: Committee Votes to Release Democratic Rebuttal to GOP/Nunes Memo

Jan2017

Committee Votes to Release Democratic Rebuttal to GOP/Nunes Memo

Feb. 5, 2018
    Committee Votes to Release Democratic Rebuttal to G.O.P. Russia Memo
    The House Intelligence Committee voted unanimously on Monday to make public a classified Democratic memorandum rebutting Republican claims that the F.B.I. and the Justice Department had abused their powers to wiretap a former Trump campaign official, setting up a possible clash with President Trump.

The vote gives Mr. Trump five days to review the Democratic memo and determine whether he will try to block its release. A decision to stop it could lead to an ugly standoff between the president, his top law enforcement and intelligence advisers and Democrats.

The 10-page Democratic document is certain to be less flattering to his case. Democrats have said the memo corrects mischaracterizations by the Republicans and adds crucial context to actions by the F.B.I. and the Justice Department in obtaining a secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court order to wiretap the former Trump aide, Carter Page, in October 2016.

If Mr. Trump tries to block the Democratic memo’s release, House rules allow Democrats to seek a closed-door vote of the full House of Representatives to override the president. With some Republicans now arguing for its release, the House could override the president’s decision in a rare rebuke to his authority.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/05/u...pgtype=article

Published 2:33 p.m. ET Feb. 5, 2018 | Updated 6:18 p.m. ET Feb. 5, 2018
    House Intelligence panel votes to release Democrats' rebuttal of Nunes memo
    With Monday's vote to publicly release the Democrats' memo, it will be sent to the White House for review,
    just as the Nunes memo was last week.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...emo/307458002/

Last edited by Jan2017; 02-05-2018 at 06:05 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Massie read it and said it doesn't rebutt the info in the Nunes memo and it also contains classified info that probably shouldn't be released.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Massie read it and said it doesn't rebutt the info in the Nunes memo and it also contains classified info that probably shouldn't be released.
    Yep, and I don't think Trump will allow it.

Then it goes to the full House to vote on it (?)

In a Twitter post on Monday, Trump accused U.S. Representative Adam Schiff, the top committee Democrat,
    of leaking “confidential” material. Schiff responded by warning Trump against “tweeting false smears.”
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1FP1P6

Last edited by Jan2017; 02-05-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Somebody leaked it already...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Jan2017

Dueling Memos and Dossiers . . . "more layers of this onion to peel back"

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaT9sYXESn0
    "Memo battle is on."

Trump : "Did we catch them in the act or what ?"

McCabe of course had already said . . . without the dossier we don't get the FISA warrants.

imho, House in full closed session will have to vote this release, if this is gonna go public,
    as President Trump likely won't authorize release.

Up to President's judgment now . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfIYI-PT4xs
    Last edited by Jan2017; 02-06-2018 at 08:23 AM.

Just letting youall know - Judge Napolitano is on Fox channels's "Outnumbered" right now - till 1PM EST.
    Discussion focusing on memo, Carter Page, etc...

If anyone has heard the hysterical excuses put forth by the Democrats, they already know what will be in the memo. Lies, misdirection, obfuscation, false accusations, etc.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 02-06-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No doubt intentional. It's a trap, as they say. Schiff and friends put classified info into their "memo" so that they can scream like small children if anything is redacted.

Rep. Radcliffe also says that it has sensitive info that should not be released, ie. it will reveal the identity of actual undercover assets working for the US.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Yep, and I don't think Trump will allow it.

Then it goes to the full House to vote on it (?)

In a Twitter post on Monday, Trump accused U.S. Representative Adam Schiff, the top committee Democrat,
    of leaking “confidential” material. Schiff responded by warning Trump against “tweeting false smears.”
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1FP1P6

GOP members of the Committee should have demanded identification of assets be redacted before voting to release it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    GOP members of the Committee should have demanded identification of assets be redacted before voting to release it.
    You mean like undercover assets embedded into the Trump campaign used to set him up?

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    You mean like undercover assets embedded into the Trump campaign used to set him up?
    Doesn't make one bit of difference.

The nature of the trap is this: They included information in their memo that reasonable people could agree shouldn't be made public. If Trump releases it, they will scream about that information being made public, even though they voted to release it first. In the words of Bill Cosby, 'You were the last one with it, what happened? Where did you fail?' If Trump edits it, or refuses to release it, they will scream that half the story isn't being told to the American public.

That is the nature of this damned if he does, damned if he doesn't trap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Doesn't make one bit of difference.

The nature of the trap is this: They included information in their memo that reasonable people could agree shouldn't be made public. If Trump releases it, they will scream about that information being made public, even though they voted to release it first. In the words of Bill Cosby, 'You were the last one with it, what happened? Where did you fail?' If Trump edits it, or refuses to release it, they will scream that half the story isn't being told to the American public.

That is the nature of this damned if he does, damned if he doesn't trap.
    And what happens again if Trump does nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    And what happens again if Trump does nothing?
    If I heard right, the memo gets released, and they lambaste him for allowing that 'damaging' information out.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

If I heard right, the memo gets released, and they lambaste him for allowing that 'damaging' information out.
    Oh yes that is what the Judge said.
    Last edited by Schifference; 02-06-2018 at 12:53 PM.

I thought I heard it would then be handed back to congress and would require a vote in congress. If this is a viable option it is the one I would take.
    Now that you mention it, that rings a bell. No doubt they'd try to spin that as an attempt to cover up the memo. But, yeah, I think I'd take that option too.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Now that you mention it, that rings a bell. No doubt they'd try to spin that as an attempt to cover up the memo. But, yeah, I think I'd take that option too.
    I have mind overload! Heard too much to process. I edited my post because I went back and listened to Napolitano but I sure though I heard something about it going to congress if he did nothing. I don't know.

Release all the documents. Declassify all the things. Liberty dies in darkness. "Truth is treason in the empire of lies."

Just read this.

If Mr. Trump tries to block the Democratic memo’s release, House rules allow Democrats to seek a closed-door vote of the full House of Representatives to override the president. With some Republicans now arguing for its release, there is a possibility that the House could override the president’s decision in a rare rebuke to his authority.

Still if that were true, I would block the memo on grounds that redacting will render..... and not redacting will render...... I think all of congress should take a look at this and I will release what they agree upon.

Jan2017

Trump and WH lawyers can play hardball now by a reject within five days and thus prevent
    the "Presidential release" of the Dem rebuttal memo on the grounds already mentioned
    by Congressman Massie and also now Congressman Radcliffe, among others.

The full House of Representatives should then have the vote to keep Pelosi and Schiff from
    crying foul too much on CNN and MSNBC . . .
    and though it would be debated in a closed session, the House vote tally can be broadcast live on CSPAN publicly
    for all November 2018 voters to determine just who is acting in the nation's best interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Rep. Radcliffe also says that it has sensitive info that should not be released, ie. it will reveal the identity of actual undercover assets working for the US.
    The Washington Times - Tuesday, February 6, 2018
    Democratic memo reveals sources, methods and should be ‘heavily redacted’ before release: Ratcliffe

Rep. John Ratcliffe said Tuesday that the Democratic memo has more information on sources and methods than the Republican memo and should be changed prior to its release.
    “I’m of the opinion that there are sources and methods, considerable sources and methods, that need to be heavily redacted or edited, and I would hope that would take place before it’s declassified and made public.”
    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...s-more-source/
    Last edited by Jan2017; 02-06-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Foreign assets would be more at risk than domestic ones, but even domestic would deserve some secrecy. But if Schiff wants to send a list to Trump of everyone embedded or compromised in his Administration, it would probably be useful to him.

I have mind overload! Heard too much to process. I edited my post because I went back and listened to Napolitano but I sure though I heard something about it going to congress if he did nothing. I don't know.
    I believe it takes a full vote of Congress to over-ride the President saying "can't be released".

Jan2017

February 9, 2018 2:00pm ET
    Trump will "soon" release a letter on the question of whether to approve the release of
    a memorandum from House Democrats rebutting a controversial Republican memo.

But Trump did not indicate if he would sign off on disclosing the memo, which disputes GOP claims
    that alleged bias against Trump influenced the FBI's probe of Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election.

The House Intelligence Committee unanimously approved on Monday night the disclosure of the Democratic minority's memo.

He has until Saturday.
    Last edited by Jan2017; 02-09-2018 at 03:53 PM.

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/s...43027471904768

President Trump declined to release the Democrat rebuttal to a GOP-authored "FISA memo," following the advice of the Department of Justice and the Director of National Intelligence, the White House announced.

President Trump is "inclined to declassify" the Democratic memo, however there are several sections which would create "especially significant concerns" for "national security and law enforcement interests," wrote White House counsel Don McGahn in a letter to House Intelligence Committee chairman Devin Nunes (D-CA).
    While the White House ignored FBI requests to redact the names in the GOP-authored memo, the Democratic response is said to reveal sources and methods which must be concealed.
    In a separate letter to FBI Director Christopher Wray and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, McGahn highlighted the problematic information. The White House says it will work with the House Intelligence Committee if it wants to revise the Democratic memo and resubmit it for White House review.
    “The president encourages the Committee to undertake these efforts,” the letter states. “The Executive Branch stands ready to review any subsequent draft of the Feb. 5th memorandum for declassification at the earliest opportunity.”

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...urity-concerns
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.