Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News is bad for you – and giving up reading it will make you happier

News is bad for you – and giving up reading it will make you happier

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...d-rolf-dobelli

Interesting that a news organization published an article saying news is bad for you.

In the past few decades, the fortunate among us have recognised the hazards of living with an overabundance of food (obesity, diabetes) and have started to change our diets. But most of us do not yet understand that news is to the mind what sugar is to the body. News is easy to digest. The media feeds us small bites of trivial matter, tidbits that don't really concern our lives and don't require thinking. That's why we experience almost no saturation. Unlike reading books and long magazine articles (which require thinking), we can swallow limitless quantities of news flashes, which are bright-coloured candies for the mind. Today, we have reached the same point in relation to information that we faced 20 years ago in regard to food. We are beginning to recognise how toxic news can be.

News misleads. Take the following event (borrowed from Nassim Taleb). A car drives over a bridge, and the bridge collapses. What does the news media focus on? The car. The person in the car. Where he came from. Where he planned to go. How he experienced the crash (if he survived). But that is all irrelevant. What's relevant? The structural stability of the bridge. That's the underlying risk that has been lurking, and could lurk in other bridges. But the car is flashy, it's dramatic, it's a person (non-abstract), and it's news that's cheap to produce. News leads us to walk around with the completely wrong risk map in our heads. So terrorism is over-rated. Chronic stress is under-rated. The collapse of Lehman Brothers is overrated. Fiscal irresponsibility is under-rated. Astronauts are over-rated. Nurses are under-rated.

We are not rational enough to be exposed to the press. Watching an airplane crash on television is going to change your attitude toward that risk, regardless of its real probability. If you think you can compensate with the strength of your own inner contemplation, you are wrong. Bankers and economists – who have powerful incentives to compensate for news-borne hazards – have shown that they cannot. The only solution: cut yourself off from news consumption entirely.

News is irrelevant. Out of the approximately 10,000 news stories you have read in the last 12 months, name one that – because you consumed it – allowed you to make a better decision about a serious matter affecting your life, your career or your business. The point is: the consumption of news is irrelevant to you. But people find it very difficult to recognise what's relevant. It's much easier to recognise what's new. The relevant versus the new is the fundamental battle of the current age. Media organisations want you to believe that news offers you some sort of a competitive advantage. Many fall for that. We get anxious when we're cut off from the flow of news. In reality, news consumption is a competitive disadvantage. The less news you consume, the bigger the advantage you have.

News has no explanatory power. News items are bubbles popping on the surface of a deeper world. Will accumulating facts help you understand the world? Sadly, no. The relationship is inverted. The important stories are non-stories: slow, powerful movements that develop below journalists' radar but have a transforming effect. The more "news factoids" you digest, the less of the big picture you will understand. If more information leads to higher economic success, we'd expect journalists to be at the top of the pyramid. That's not the case.

News is toxic to your body. It constantly triggers the limbic system. Panicky stories spur the release of cascades of glucocorticoid (cortisol). This deregulates your immune system and inhibits the release of growth hormones. In other words, your body finds itself in a state of chronic stress. High glucocorticoid levels cause impaired digestion, lack of growth (cell, hair, bone), nervousness and susceptibility to infections. The other potential side-effects include fear, aggression, tunnel-vision and desensitisation.

News increases cognitive errors. News feeds the mother of all cognitive errors: confirmation bias. In the words of Warren Buffett: "What the human being is best at doing is interpreting all new information so that their prior conclusions remain intact." News exacerbates this flaw. We become prone to overconfidence, take stupid risks and misjudge opportunities. It also exacerbates another cognitive error: the story bias. Our brains crave stories that "make sense" – even if they don't correspond to reality. Any journalist who writes, "The market moved because of X" or "the company went bankrupt because of Y" is an idiot. I am fed up with this cheap way of "explaining" the world.

News inhibits thinking. Thinking requires concentration. Concentration requires uninterrupted time. News pieces are specifically engineered to interrupt you. They are like viruses that steal attention for their own purposes. News makes us shallow thinkers. But it's worse than that. News severely affects memory. There are two types of memory. Long-range memory's capacity is nearly infinite, but working memory is limited to a certain amount of slippery data. The path from short-term to long-term memory is a choke-point in the brain, but anything you want to understand must pass through it. If this passageway is disrupted, nothing gets through. Because news disrupts concentration, it weakens comprehension. Online news has an even worse impact. In a 2001 study two scholars in Canada showed that comprehension declines as the number of hyperlinks in a document increases. Why? Because whenever a link appears, your brain has to at least make the choice not to click, which in itself is distracting. News is an intentional interruption system.

News works like a drug. As stories develop, we want to know how they continue. With hundreds of arbitrary storylines in our heads, this craving is increasingly compelling and hard to ignore. Scientists used to think that the dense connections formed among the 100 billion neurons inside our skulls were largely fixed by the time we reached adulthood. Today we know that this is not the case. Nerve cells routinely break old connections and form new ones. The more news we consume, the more we exercise the neural circuits devoted to skimming and multitasking while ignoring those used for reading deeply and thinking with profound focus. Most news consumers – even if they used to be avid book readers – have lost the ability to absorb lengthy articles or books. After four, five pages they get tired, their concentration vanishes, they become restless. It's not because they got older or their schedules became more onerous. It's because the physical structure of their brains has changed.

News wastes time. If you read the newspaper for 15 minutes each morning, then check the news for 15 minutes during lunch and 15 minutes before you go to bed, then add five minutes here and there when you're at work, then count distraction and refocusing time, you will lose at least half a day every week. Information is no longer a scarce commodity. But attention is. You are not that irresponsible with your money, reputation or health. Why give away your mind?

News makes us passive. News stories are overwhelmingly about things you cannot influence. The daily repetition of news about things we can't act upon makes us passive. It grinds us down until we adopt a worldview that is pessimistic, desensitised, sarcastic and fatalistic. The scientific term is "learned helplessness". It's a bit of a stretch, but I would not be surprised if news consumption, at least partially contributes to the widespread disease of depression.

News kills creativity. Finally, things we already know limit our creativity. This is one reason that mathematicians, novelists, composers and entrepreneurs often produce their most creative works at a young age. Their brains enjoy a wide, uninhabited space that emboldens them to come up with and pursue novel ideas. I don't know a single truly creative mind who is a news junkie – not a writer, not a composer, mathematician, physician, scientist, musician, designer, architect or painter. On the other hand, I know a bunch of viciously uncreative minds who consume news like drugs. If you want to come up with old solutions, read news. If you are looking for new solutions, don't.

Society needs journalism – but in a different way. Investigative journalism is always relevant. We need reporting that polices our institutions and uncovers truth. But important findings don't have to arrive in the form of news. Long journal articles and in-depth books are good, too.

I have now gone without news for four years, so I can see, feel and report the effects of this freedom first-hand: less disruption, less anxiety, deeper thinking, more time, more insights. It's not easy, but it's worth it.

This is an edited extract from an essay first published at dobelli.com. The Art of Thinking Clearly: Better Thinking, Better Decisions by Rolf Dobelli is published by Sceptre,

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lol, Zippy posts fake news everyday and now that we start seeing some truth coming out, he warns us it is better to ignore the news.

You really can’t make this stuff up!
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    Lol, Zippy posts fake news everyday and now that we start seeing some truth coming out, he warns us it is better to ignore the news.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TER again.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post

Gotcha covered.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Especially if you are a Democrat like Zip!
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Watch ze watch, you are feeling sleepy....

Nothing to see here, move along!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Ignorance is bliss. (until the predator strikes)

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

My thoughts exactly, I owe you rep.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

Interesting that a news organization published an article saying news is bad for you.
    The Guardian is a 'news organization'? Since when?

They published this nearly five years ago, yet they continue to use those same tactics to this day. Clearly keeping us informed is not high on their agenda. It's only natural, therefore, that they would try to convince people that investing the time and effort necessary to dig up some truth is unnecessary and dangerous.

Ignorance is strength, right, Zippy? And no one is a better workout partner than you!

You disapprove of sticking one's head in The Guardian's hole? Is it really better to stick one's head in zerohedge's hole?
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I actually found the OP to be relevant and insightful. While it's fine to stay up to date with current events, voracious news consumption and the resultant dopamine and cortisol spurts can't be healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by youngbuck View Post
    I actually found the OP to be relevant and insightful. While it's fine to stay up to date with current events, voracious news consumption and the resultant dopamine and cortisol spurts can't be healthy.
    Yes, Zippy is a real gem.

You can catch his daily blog here.

Quote Originally Posted by youngbuck View Post
    Exactly. It can a good thing to have some balance in our lives and try not to be news junkies.

Quote Originally Posted by Marenco View Post
    Exactly. It can a good thing to have some balance in our lives and try not to be news junkies.
    I hear vows of purity could be beneficial too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

News is bad for you – and giving up reading it will make you happier
    I would indeed be happier if you stopped posting news.

So, basically ignorance is bliss?
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    So, basically ignorance is bliss?
    Does following the MSM make people less ignorant?

The message here seems to be, 'We're going to keep you ignorant. You'd be happier if you stopped fighting it.'
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Does following the MSM make people less ignorant?

The message here seems to be, 'We're going to keep you ignorant and confused. You'd be happier if you stopped fighting it.'
    They need a state of ignorance and confusion. They seem to be pulling it off quite well, I think.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

The news writing news about how the news is no good.

Yah, actually, I agree, most "news" is poisonous junk.

Wading through "news" day after day to discern a trend that can be halted or changed or increased is time consuming and bad for your health.

That's what "news" used to be.

Quality editors and writers accomplished that purpose.

Hate, name-calling, and constantly blasting someone you don't agree with, ain't exactly good for you either. The forum has been pretty hard to take since the elections and the nastiness has not subsided.

What happened to real discussion? Honest POVs? Respect?

I don't have to agree with someone 1000% to have decent dialog on a subject.
    There is no spoon.

Why is it hate to call out duplicity?
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Because it's only from your POV.

I'd say more duplicity comes from the name-callers & haters that keep the posts of their favorite hate-person at the top. If they really didn't want to read their stuff, why not ignore them? Seem to be strictly an ego issue to call others names & show off one's superiority.

Not only that, they go completely off-topic on some very important issues, while expounding insults and bad reps.

A freedom forum should be better than this.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    covered

My thoughts exactly, I owe you rep.
    covered.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post

I'd say more duplicity comes from the name-callers & haters that keep the posts of their favorite hate-person at the top. If they really didn't want to read their stuff, why not ignore them? Seem to be strictly an ego issue to call others names & show off one's superiority.

Not only that, they go completely off-topic on some very important issues, while expounding insults and bad reps.

Chief Bawl Less Ender is right. We should give everybody equal respect no mater how stupid their ideas are.

You are never supposed to reveal what you think. That's not how the Kabuki theatre works.

No, Zippy is an enemy of this site's mission OBJECTIVELY, you are the one who is either being subjective or duplicitous when you defend him.

Some of us don't think it is a good idea to let trolls mislead noobs and outsiders who come here without rebuttal.

That's just your point of view.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I actually rather agree with the OP. Consuming "news" isn't necessarily the same as becoming informed in today's world-and usually isn't. We know Big Media is controlled by a handful of corporations with vested interest in misleading and propagandizing the masses. Then there's much of small media-which though more trustworthy often is designed to stir the passions in audiences. A constant diet of that can make you pretty nutty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    I actually rather agree with the OP. Consuming "news" isn't necessarily the same as becoming informed in today's world-and usually isn't. We know Big Media is controlled by a handful of corporations with vested interest in misleading and propagandizing the masses. Then there's much of small media-which though more trustworthy often is designed to stir the passions in audiences. A constant diet of that can make you pretty nutty.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    lol Like most of y'all I'm not a zippyfan. The article just happens to have a good point. Lots of freely available info is good, but it can be a double-edged sword if you aren't smart about how you use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast