Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: [Official] 2018 Olympics (begins Feb. 8)

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Landing on a board on show in a padded suit is different than landing on a .25 inch blade on ice.

I enjoy watching snow sports. I’m a fat little grandma, but I think snowboarding would be fun to try.
    ok "granny" point well taken . . .
    fwiw, the woman snowboarders today competed in the halfpipe . . . several did not land on the board but rather some face-plants -
    one (Slovakian ?) did not move for a while, thought she wasn't gonna get up on her own.

Winter Olympics women's halfpipe snowboarding: Chloe Kim wins gold – as it happened

Frontside 1080 is good. Cab 1080 ... she gets it around! And she adds a McTwist.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/li...-kim-goes-live

GOLD: Chloe Kim (USA), 98.25
    SILVER: Liu Jiayu (China), 89.75
    BRONZE: Arielle Gold (USA), 85.75

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Totally rad.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Who remembers Lindsey Jacobellis?

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Men's snowboard half-pipe was amazing. Came right down to the last run.

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

With the recent popularity of complaints about unfair treatment of women, I'd say they finally have a case with regard to the Women's Snowboard slopestyle. They would have postponed the finals due to weather if it wasn't a women's event.

Does anyone else note that as far as the jobs done by Koreans at this Olympics, they are done by women? The ice repair crew is all women, ticket scanners are all women, medal presenters are all women. It seems a little odd. Are there any men in Korea? I have been to many sports events and I have never seen such exclusion.
    #NashvilleStrong

Maybe its sex appeal, put the tourists at ease. I dunno. They're also temp jobs, the men are probably working real jobs or playing video games at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Maybe its sex appeal

That is it, everything sells better with pretty girls as the salesmen.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They are darling girls. I’m not throwing shade. It just seems like some of the security jobs would be men. There were hardly any boys in the Opening Ceremonies. The drummers were girls.
    #NashvilleStrong

Another fun day. I ribbed my Brittish buddy by congratulating Team Britain on winning absolutely nothing. #friendshipismagic
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Jan2017

American Mikaela Shiffrin finally made her PyeongChang Olympic debut on Day 6 of the Winter Games,
    speeding to gold in the women's giant slalom after several days of weather delays.

Hockey results :
    Sweden has opened the PyeongChang Olympic men's hockey tournament with a 4-0 win over rival Norway,
    even without playing highly rated young defenseman Rasmus Dahlin.

Another ice hockey prelim, Czech Republic 2 South Korea 1

Germany has won 9 Gold Medals . . .
    Norway leads having 17 total medals, Germany with 15 total, and Canada has 13 total medals as of February 15

#5 USA has 5 golds, with one silver and 2 bronze

Olympic Athletes from Russia have no gold medals, 2 silver, and 4 bronze medals and are #9 in medal count standings

The host Korea has 2 golds and one bronze.

Slovakia and 2022 host China have 2 silver/2 total . . . tied at #15

Last edited by Jan2017; 02-15-2018 at 10:41 PM.

Russia and US lose first round hockey games.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Who remembers Lindsey Jacobellis?

And the curse continues...

@nytgraphics
    13h13 hours ago

In a huge upset, Ester Ledeckaof the Czech Republic wins gold in the women's super-G.
    American Lindsey Vonn finished 6th after a mistake in the final stretch.

Her usual event is snowboarding.
    She wasn't even supposed to be running in the "super-G" ski event so she had to borrow some other person's skis and still won gold.

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    And the curse continues...
    Oh.

David Wise of Reno defends his Sochi GOLD on his last run with Alex Ferreria getting silver in Men's Halfpipe skiis
    New Zealand's Nico Porteous got the bronze just ahead of another kiwi mate.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/li...ium-sweep-live

Also, USA-Canada women's hockey final is 0-0 in the first period

.Winter Olympics men's ski halfpipe final: USA's David Wise wins gold – live!

• US’s Alex Ferreira wins silver; teen Kiwi Nico Porteous gets bronz

Last edited by Jan2017; 02-21-2018 at 10:24 PM.

What cracks me up is when NBC does side by side frames as if the events are being held at the same time. Some of them are different configurations of the same venue and could not possibly be held simultaneously.
    #NashvilleStrong

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    What cracks me up is when NBC does side by side frames as if the events are being held at the same time. Some of them are different configurations of the same venue and could not possibly be held simultaneously.
    takeaway so far I get has been the alpine skiing coverage has been good enough . . .
    with internet especially BBC/The Guardian coverage I have been pretty much current, but yeah, time differences muddle the coverage some.

fwiw, NBC would typically break for eastern USA local news coverage and we'd get . . .
    "Mountain and Pacific time zones will be back live "
    Last edited by Jan2017; 02-23-2018 at 03:32 AM.

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    American Mikaela Shiffrin finally made her PyeongChang Olympic debut on Day 6 of the Winter Games,
    speeding to gold in the women's giant slalom after several days of weather delays.

Hockey results :
    Sweden has opened the PyeongChang Olympic men's hockey tournament with a 4-0 win over rival Norway,

Germany has won 9 Gold Medals . . .
    Norway leads having 17 total medals, Germany with 15 total, and Canada has 13 total medals as of February 15

#5 USA has 5 golds, with one silver and 2 bronze

Olympic Athletes from Russia have no gold medals, 2 silver, and 4 bronze medals and are #9 in medal count standings

The host Korea has 2 golds and one bronze.

Slovakia and 2022 host China have 2 silver/2 total . . . tied at #15

What is gonna be the "highlight" in the VP Pence "no daylight" meeting of global athletes . . .

Hockey results :

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    takeaway so far I get has been the alpine skiing coverage has been good enough . . .
    with internet especially BBC/The Guardian coverage I have been pretty much current, but yeah, time differences muddle the coverage some.

fwiw, NBC would typically break for eastern USA local news coverage and we'd get . . .
    "Mountain and Pacific time zones will be back live "
    I was up to the very end of women’s hockey. It was 1am our time, 2 am eastern. That’s just too late. I guess NBC doesn’t understamd people have to go to work the next day. It has been that way every night.
    Last edited by euphemia; 02-23-2018 at 02:21 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

So who punked the USA women's Skating Team?

[IMG]https://********************************/2018/02/teamusa.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1286[/IMG]

Last edited by AZJoe; 02-25-2018 at 05:56 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Jan2017

Canada has beat Czecks for Men's Ice Hockey bronze

Canada has beat the Czech Republic in Men's Ice hockey for the Olympic team bronze medal.

Ice hockey: Canadian men beat Czechs to claim bronze

GANGNEUNG, South Korea (Reuters) - Andrew Ebbett and Chris Kelly both scored twice as Canada beat the Czech Republic 6-4 on Saturday to claim bronze in the men’s Olympic ice hockey tournament.

With the win, the Canadians have now earned a hockey medal in three straight Winter Olympics,
    although Saturday’s bronze will look dull in their eyes next to the golds they captured in Sochi and Vancouver.
    Germany had previously beaten Canada 4-3, for a loss to defend for a third straight Olympic team gold medal.

GANGNEUNG, South Korea (Reuters) - In a matchup few oddsmaker would have predicted, a powerhouse Russian squad will face off on Sunday against an upstart German team in a battle for one of the ice hockey world’s most precious prizes: an Olympic gold medal.

The Russians last won a gold medal in hockey in 1992 in Albertville, France, in the first Winter Olympics of the post-Soviet Union era.
    As the Soviets, they won seven gold medals in nine Games from 1956 to 1988.

For the Germans, a win would mark their first team gold medal ever in ice hockey.

The Russian men, are playing as "the Olympic Athletes from Russia" in a tournament being played without NHL players for the first time in 24 years.

USSR v. USA in Men's Hockey semifinal in 1980 . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYscemhnf88

1979 Carter's Nation in Crisis" . . . btw, 1984 Summer Games boycotted
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-K-mm8Bqik

Last edited by Jan2017; 02-24-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    @nytgraphics
    13h13 hours ago

In a huge upset, Ester Ledeckaof the Czech Republic wins gold in the women's super-G.
    American Lindsey Vonn finished 6th after a mistake in the final stretch.

Her usual event is snowboarding.
    She wasn't even supposed to be running in the "super-G" ski event so she had to borrow some other person's skis and still won gold.

Winter Olympics: Ester Ledecka wins second gold medal in Pyeongchang

Just amazing!
    “Ester Ledecka of the Czech Republic won gold medals in the snowboarding parallel giant slalom and in the skiing super-G,
    becoming the first woman to win gold in two sports at a single Winter Olympics.“

Last man did this in 1952.

Jan2017

Miracle in PyeongChang?

Germany v. the Olympic Athletes From Russia in Men's Ice Hockey Final

Germany had upsets over Sweden and Canada to get to the Gold Medal game

Ice Hockey: Fans, media slam Swedes after Germany 'fiasco'

PYEONGCHANG, South Korea (Reuters) - Fans and media in Sweden wasted no time in slamming their top-seeded team after an embarrassing 4-3 Olympic exit at the hands of Germany, who recorded a shock overtime win to send the Scandinavians packing from the tournament on Wednesday.
    Last edited by Jan2017; 02-24-2018 at 06:31 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    So who punked the USA women's Skating Team?

[IMG]https://********************************/2018/02/teamusa.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1286[/IMG]

[T743EET]
    WTF? International Olympic Committee needs a Fashion Police Division - or - we all are getting punked by this photo (?)
    Did NBC show this live (?) . . . as jus' another wardrobe malfunction.

The twitterverse is making some fashion comments/statements : "Better a circle than a square"
    https://twitter.com/sarah_haskins/st...Feb-8)%2Fpage5
    Last edited by Jan2017; 02-24-2018 at 10:18 PM.

Jan2017

Germany and Olympic Athletes from Russia will face off in the men’s hockey gold medal game at the 2018 Winter Olympics at 11:10 p.m. ET Saturday night.
    The matchup will be broadcast live on NBCSN in addition to
    live streaming coverage

The Germans look to pull off one last massive upset in Pyeongchang.

This is a chance for the Germans to finish off one of the most incredible performances in the history of Olympic hockey. A tournament without NHL players opened the door for anyone to make a run, and the Germans have taken advantage even after losing twice in the group stage.

most likely outcome given that the Russians are heavily favored to win the game. Led by a host of stars like
    Ilya Kovalchuk and Pavel Datsyuk, they’ve rolled over the competition en route to a gold medal game appearance that seemed almost inevitable.

With lopsided wins over Czech Republic and Norway by a combined 9-1 scoring margin in their last two games, the Olympic Athletes from Russia have been firing on all cylinders recently. It is truly a David vs. Goliath matchup on the biggest of international stages.

Gangneung Hockey Centre ready for Germany v. OAR

[IMG][/IMG]

A final match can't get much more lopsided than this.

Germany has mounted off an highly improbable run despite scoring as many goals as it allowed (14). Before winning three consecutive games by one goal apiece, it escaped group play with two losses and one overtime win over Norway,
    Last edited by Jan2017; 02-24-2018 at 11:56 PM.

Jan2017

Going to third period tied 1 - 1 and in opening minutes Germany controls the pace - now trade goals and OAR 2 Germany 2

OAR Russian Nikita Gusev scores shorthanded to tie game 3 - 3 with under a minute and send to overtime -
    Last edited by Jan2017; 02-25-2018 at 12:56 AM.

Jan2017

Miracle in PyeongChang

So Russian ties with a shorthand goal with some 50 seconds left in regulation and Germany 3 OAR 2.

Russians get a power play goal from Kirill Kaprizov for the final OAR 4 Germany 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8rSIFMEwzw
    Last edited by Jan2017; 02-25-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Jan2017

Olympics: Ice Hockey - Russians sing banned anthem after beating Germany to gold

GANGNEUNG, South Korea (Reuters) - Kirill Kaprizov scored in overtime to lead the Olympic Athletes from Russia (OAR) past a feisty Germany 4-3 on Sunday to win the men’s ice hockey gold before joining his team mates to defy a ban by singing the Russian national anthem during the medal ceremony.

OAR seal ice hockey gold in dramatic overtime win against Germany – video
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/vi...-germany-video

As Russia remain suspended by the IOC, the Olympic anthem is played as the flags of the medalists, OAR, Germany and bronze-medal winners Canada are raised to the rafters.
    http://www.dw.com/en/winter-olympics...key/a-42729818

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22pnC0VzXY4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22pnC0VzXY4
    Last edited by Jan2017; 02-25-2018 at 04:58 PM.

2018 winter olympics goes down as least watched olympics ever. Down 17 percent from 2014 and 27 percent from 2010 . At 17 million viewers a night it broke the low thresh hold of 20 million viewers of the 2006 Torino games . Unchartered lows not expected to ever get below 20 Million .

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast