Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New Federal Taxes On Consumers Just Announced

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    That would be like every day here. And the windows and doors will be frozen shut.

And leave my mother out of it.
    I know I am taking this a wee bit too far but correct me if I am wrong, you are not married, you don't have kids and you make good money playing top gun and yet you do not have a garage to warm your car in? Come on Danke, be the man you were meant to be and make mama Danke proud.

Please, quit donating to those "alt" media personalities, they both have enough money to buy multiple mansions with multiple garages and here you are having to park your car on the street.

A wise man once said
    "Its not selfish to love thyself, take care of thyself, and to make ones happiness a priority."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    A great man once said you can get a lot done if you don't care who gets the credit.
    I hate to break this to you but I am completely impervious to mind tricks especially reverse psychology. I know you are trying your darn hardest to get me to stay but I have made up my mind and no amount of mind tricks from you or anyone would change my mind. Sorry, angelatc but your beloved Nigerian liberty supporter is moving on from politics

If it makes you feel any better, I would miss you too.

So you think government regulations improved quality, while the rest of the world seems to believe it was the increased competition. (AFAIK, the government only regulates fuel economy and safety. Not quality.)

We literally produced cars that had radios that would shut off when the lights were turned on. The avarage AMerican car had 10 problems, while the Japanese cars had 1.2.

Government's solution was to protect the unions and put tariffs on imported cars. The market responded by opening plants here. Tariffs created better cars and more jobs.
    I am working on a reply for this post. Reading up on the Japanese govt relationship/regulation of Toyota and Honda. I am not exactly saying that it was all govt but govt regulation has contributed to lifting the minimum standard of cars being supplied to the market in the US. That cannot be denied.

Btw, I think Japanese govt was more fascist than free market(was Top down, command economies with big govt protecting and sometimes financing it).

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I know I am taking this a wee bit too far but correct me if I am wrong, you are not married, you don't have kids and you make good money playing top gun and yet you do not have a garage to warm your car in? Come on Danke, be the man you were meant to be and make mama Danke proud.

Please, quit donating to those "alt" media personalities, they both have enough money to buy multiple mansions with multiple garages and here you are having to park your car on the street.

A wise man once said
    "Its not selfish to love thyself, take care of thyself, and to make ones happiness a priority."
    so let me get this...I must live within a block from a car wash that does the undercarriage too after every time I drive home, and can park in a heated garage?

I think the better solution would be to just lease cars and exchange them for new ones every few years than go to the cars wash all the time.
    Last edited by Danke; 01-28-2018 at 10:55 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Did you go around praising Obama for his worker and business-friendly policies?
    I'm sure you did, if not here then in your real life.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

My point exactly, quality were relatively higher when govt started regulating the car industry and just look at it now. Like you said, cars do last forever if you take good care of it.

You argued my point without even realizing it
    Get lost commie, the only reason we don't have scores or hundreds of car companies competing and innovating is government regulation.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    so let me get this...I must live within a block form a car wash that dose the undercarriage too after every time I drive home, and can park in a heated garage?
    I used to have a garage for a car, but then I put a made in the USA pool/hottub in it instead. much better decision, I can deal with the car being cold for a bit in the morning.

I hate to break this to you but I am completely impervious to mind tricks especially reverse psychology. I know you are trying your darn hardest to get me to stay but I have made up my mind and no amount of mind tricks from you or anyone would change my mind. Sorry, angelatc but your beloved Nigerian liberty supporter is moving on from politics

Go back to Africa while you are at it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You keep saying you are done here, but keep poking your nose in threads to give your two cents.

No “reverse psychology” from me, I hope you stick around.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I support this decision. Another retired revolutionary.

so let me get this...I must live within a block from a car wash that does the undercarriage too after every time I drive home, and can park in a heated garage?

I think the better solution would be to just lease cars and exchange them for new ones every few years than go to the cars wash all the time.
    Car washing should be against the law. Maybe even void warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    I support this decision. Another retired revolutionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Go back to Africa while you are at it.
    Come on m8, I said I was from Nigeria, I use every opportunity to remind people here that I am from Nigeria and you said "go back to Africa". Do I have to put it in my sig for you to remember that?

Yes, the plan is and has always been to get an education and go back home and I am working on it. Details of the plan has changed a little but the goal is still to find my way home.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Going full on Venezuela in this thread.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TheCount again.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Come on m8, I said I was from Nigeria, I use every opportunity to remind people here that I am from Nigeria and you said "go back to Africa". Do I have to put it in my sig for you to remember that?

Yes, the plan is and has always been to get an education and go back home and I am working on it. Details of the plan has changed a little but the goal is still to find my way home.
    Nigeria
    The Federal Republic of Nigeria, commonly referred to as Nigeria, is a federal republic in West Africa, bordering Benin in the west, Chad and Cameroon in the east, and Niger in the north. Its coast in the south lies on the Gulf of Guinea in the Atlantic Ocean. It comprises 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory, where the capital, Abuja is located. Nigeria is officially a democratic secular country.More at Wikipedia

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    F a bunch of foreign washers and dryers.

They can triple the import tariffs for all I care.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I, honestly, just don't care. If there was a 50% tariff on everything coming into the country I, honestly, would not care. Tariffs are imposed to create a level playing field against foreign enterprises which, through whatever means they choose, hurt American businesses and their workers. I know Austrian economists and libertarians just love a global market. But, it is not a "free market" when foreign countries use their power to subvert honest trade by destroying the working base of another country. That is where "fair trade" comes in. Offsets are made to balance the whole. I for one am happy to see a president actually use tariffs as a means to force negotiations and deal with them from a position of power. Much better than Obama's declaration that manufacturing jobs are gone and they aren't coming back. So get use to it.
    This. +1776
    Y'all might as well respond to Ron Paul himself. This is from the video ender posted above:

"If you did have a tariff, and they're legal under the constitution, they should never be punitive and picking certain products and certain companies to punish. It should be very uniform and very small if at all. I think it will not create jobs... It's been very well known that tariffs lead to trade wars. There's retaliations. Theres no net benefits from it... Taxes are bad. Taxes on imports are bad. If you do that, you're actually punishing our consumers, and our consumers should have the right to buy products wherever they want."
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    Y'all might as well respond to Ron Paul himself. This is from the video ender posted above:

"If you did have a tariff, and they're legal under the constitution, they should never be punitive and picking certain products and certain companies to punish. It should be very uniform and very small if at all. I think it will not create jobs... It's been very well known that tariffs lead to trade wars. There's retaliations. Theres no net benefits from it... Taxes are bad. Taxes on imports are bad. If you do that, you're actually punishing our consumers, and our consumers should have the right to buy products wherever they want."
    I'm well aware of Ron Paul's stance. Unfortunately, this is not an Ron Paul administration. The EPA hasn't been shuttered, nor has Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the federal minimum wage is still enforced as are the millions of fatwahs that hamper our businesses and keep them from being competitive.
    So, in the meantime I, honestly, don't give a $#@! if a few tariffs are thrown around. At the end of the day they are not anything of consequence and fade out over 4 yrs.

I, honestly, just don't care. If there was a 50% tariff on everything coming into the country I, honestly, would not care. Tariffs are imposed to create a level playing field against foreign enterprises which, through whatever means they choose, hurt American businesses and their workers. I know Austrian economists and libertarians just love a global market. But, it is not a "free market" when foreign countries use their power to subvert honest trade by destroying the working base of another country. That is where "fair trade" comes in. Offsets are made to balance the whole. I for one am happy to see a president actually use tariffs as a means to force negotiations and deal with them from a position of power. Much better than Obama's declaration that manufacturing jobs are gone and they aren't coming back. So get use to it.
    Why would it not make sense that the area best suited to most efficiently produce a given item or service ought to be the one to do it?

Should all markets have government created quotas, wage controls, and artificial obstacles to entry? If not, why not?

Should trade be 'fair' across the United States with Oklahoma and Maine growing oranges to make trade 'fair?' If a given region has a natural advantage, ought Congress make trade 'even?'
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

I'm well aware of Ron Paul's stance. Unfortunately, this is not an Ron Paul administration. The EPA hasn't been shuttered, nor has Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the federal minimum wage is still enforced as are the millions of fatwahs that hamper our businesses and keep them from being competitive.
    So, in the meantime I, honestly, don't give a $#@! if a few tariffs are thrown around. At the end of the day they are not anything of consequence and fade out over 4 yrs.

I don't remember Dr. Paul prefacing all that with "after the EPA, OSHA and federal minimum wage and all the bad government policies have been abolished." For myself, I'll take his wisdom on trade above trump's Marxist protectionism all day long.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Why would it not make sense that the area best suited to most efficiently produce a given item or service ought to be the one to do it?

Should all markets have government created quotas, wage controls, and artificial obstacles to entry? If not, why not?

Should trade be 'fair' across the United States with Oklahoma and Maine growing oranges to make trade 'fair?' If a given region has a natural advantage, ought Congress make trade 'even?'
    The most suitable market would be the one with the lowest standard of wages, no environmental controls and lack of government fatwahs from a million different offices.
    So, since that isn't going to happen here in America anytime soon, I just don't give a rip if a 50% tariff across the board is introduced. liberterians may not be fine with the hamstringing our government places on businesses, but they damn sure don't care that foreign countries allow their companies to forgo these things and "dump" products in an effort to destroy American manufacturing. We have a 300+billion trade deficit with China. We buy on a ratio of 3-to-1. Ours is a consumer market. Foreign businesses will not quit doing businesses with us over a tariff. There is too much profit doing business in America.

I don't remember Dr. Paul prefacing all that with "after the EPA, OSHA and federal minimum wage and all the bad government policies have been abolished." For myself, I'll take his wisdom on trade above trump's Marxist protectionism all day long.
    Well, then I suppose myself and the libertarians will have to disagree on this one. Other countries have been exploiting our weaknesses for far too long and have ended up making America a welfare state. I've seen what that has done economically in my region over my lifetime, decades. From a strong middle-class based economy to a service economy, a growing heroin problem and the crime that comes from it, from those that see no way out from any employment that allows them to just get by..with a little help from welfare.

Well, then I suppose myself and the libertarians will have to disagree on this one. Other countries have been exploiting our weaknesses for far too long and have ended up making America a welfare state. I've seen what that has done economically in my region over my lifetime, decades. From a strong middle-class based economy to a service economy, a growing heroin problem and the crime that comes from it, from those that see no way out from any employment that allows them to just get by..with a little help from welfare.
    Not to mention what it does to our politics to have so many people on welfare.

By the way since you support tariffs you should support controlled immigration, bringing in hordes of excess labor willing and able to work under the table has the same effect on America as outsourcing.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not to mention what it does to our politics to have so many people on welfare.

By the way since you support tariffs you should support controlled immigration, bringing in hordes of excess labor willing and able to work under the table has the same effect on America as outsourcing.
    One does not follow the other. I have no problem with anyone willing to work. That is what I am talking about here. Putting people to work. I work exclusively under the table.

You can't blame all that on foreign governments. For heaven's sake, read your own sig.

The most suitable market would be the one with the lowest standard of wages, no environmental controls and lack of government fatwahs from a million different offices.
    So, since that isn't going to happen here in America anytime soon, I just don't give a rip if a 50% tariff across the board is introduced. liberterians may not be fine with the hamstringing our government places on businesses, but they damn sure don't care that foreign countries allow their companies to forgo these things and "dump" products in an effort to destroy American manufacturing. We have a 300+billion trade deficit with China. We buy on a ratio of 3-to-1. Ours is a consumer market. Foreign businesses will not quit doing businesses with us over a tariff. There is too much profit doing business in America.
    America should quit printing and devaluing the dollar, propping up artificial industry, and choosing winners and losers.

Seems to me that America, as a whole, has lived beyond its means. Credit driven while pimping its fraudulant debt onto the world. There will be a correction.

The solution is not tariffs. Tariffs will be political, costly, and inefficient in bringing reform to an admittedly already bastardized and broken system of crony capitalism.

I'm not trying to sound condescending.... Check out Ecomonic Sophisms by Bastiat. Even if you don't agree it's a short and interesting read.
    Last edited by kcchiefs6465; 01-29-2018 at 05:37 PM.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

One does not follow the other. I have no problem with anyone willing to work. That is what I am talking about here. Putting people to work. I work exclusively under the table.
    Whether the labor pool is expanded with people unburdened by regulations here or overseas doesn't make any difference, the result is lower pay, greater corporate profits and more welfare followed by more socialism in our politics, of course there is one difference:

If you bring the foreign workers here they add to the Demoncrats voter pool and things get worse faster.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You can't blame all that on foreign governments. For heaven's sake, read your own sig.
    In no way have I put all the blame on foreign governments. In fact in an earlier post I specifically mentioned the reasons why American companies can't compete in the world market against foreign competition and why tariffs level the playing field in this regard.

Whether the labor pool is expanded with people unburdened by regulations here or overseas doesn't make any difference, the result is lower pay, greater corporate profits and more welfare followed by more socialism in our politics, of course there is one difference:

If you bring the foreign workers here they add to the Demoncrats voter pool and things get worse faster.
    Oh, no, I think everyone here should be unburdened by regulation. I think you will see business flourish. When that happens you will see wages rise in an attempt to attract more workers. Regulation, you see, is the problem.

Oh, no, I think everyone here should be unburdened by regulation. I think you will see business flourish. When that happens you will see wages rise in an attempt to attract more workers. Regulation, you see, is the problem.
    You aren't applying the same logic you used on tariffs.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You aren't applying the same logic you used on tariffs.
    I actually agree with you here.

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast