Thread: Food stamps for dogs

Exclamation Food stamps for dogs

So, it's not enough you hold a government gun to my head and force me to pay for your food and your children's food, but now I'm going to be on the hook for your dog's food as well.

Advocates make argument for extending food stamps to pets

http://bangordailynews.com/2018/01/2...tamps-to-pets/

By Caitlin Dewey, Washington Post • January 23, 2018 12:37 pm

Handout | TNS | BDN

Groups say allowing food stamps to be used for pet food could potentially keep tens of thousands of animals out of shelters and prevent low-income people from cutting their pets’ meals.

Edward Johnston Jr. would rather give his dinner to his dog than watch the dog go hungry. That is why the 59-year-old Mississippi man is petitioning the Department of Agriculture to let him use food stamps on kibble and pet treats.

Pets are part of the family, Johnston argued, and families should not have to break up when they hit what he calls a “financial rough patch.” He is asking that the federal government modify food-stamp rules to make it easier for low-income people like him to buy food for their pets.

The petition has little chance of succeeding, experts say, given the political and logistical challenges of changing food stamps, otherwise known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. But it has attracted the attention of nearly 80,000 signers on the popular petition site Care2, as well as a number of animal welfare organizations.

These groups say allowing food stamps to be used for pet food could potentially keep tens of thousands of animals out of shelters and prevent low-income people from cutting their pets’ meals.

“It’s potentially game-changing,” said Matt Bershadker, the president of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. “I think we should get behind this in a big way.”

Advocates say a food-stamp program that includes pet food would address a little-discussed gap in the social safety net: Currently, there is no federal program that helps low-income people care for their pets.

That population is a large one. According to the National Pet Owners Survey, a poll commissioned by the American Pet Products Association, an industry group, 14 percent of all pet-owning households make less than $25,000 per year — which, for a family of four, is roughly the federal poverty limit.

These households sometimes struggle to cover their pet-related costs, advocates say. Veterinary care and vaccinations are expensive. Food for dogs and cats averages $235 per year, according to the Pet Products Association.

When families don’t have enough money to buy pet food, they frequently do what Johnston does: Share the people food. But it’s not the same, and it can harm pets. And it can cut into the pet owner’s diet — a risk, given that many public health experts say food stamp allotments are already too small to provide adequate nutrition.

Food costs can also prompt low-income families to surrender or re-home a pet. In a 2015 study by the ASPCA, 30 percent of low-income people who relinquished their pets said they would have kept them if they had a free or low-cost pet food option.

About 776,000 of the 5.5 million dogs that enter shelters each year are euthanized, according to Mississippi State University statistics. Towns and cities also spend taxpayer money to round up strays and house them in municipal shelters, though no reliable national estimates exist on the cost of such programs.

“It’s hard to know that exact number,” the ASPCA’s Bershadker said. “But we do know the cost to the animal is potentially death.”

The problems are real, but food-stamp experts say it’s unclear whether changing SNAP should be part of the solution. SNAP has explicitly excluded pet food since its earliest authorization in 1964, when the Food Stamp Act defined “food” to mean “any food or food product for human consumption.” Changing that would require congressional action.

On top of that, there are administrative puzzles involved in extending food stamps to animals, said Craig Gundersen, an agricultural economist at the University of Illinois and an expert on the food-stamp program. (The Agriculture Department declined to comment publicly on the petition.)

“I can’t imagine how the government would decide on, say, how much more money a family should get if they have a Bernese mountain dog,” Gundersen said, referring to a breed that can weigh more than 100 pounds. “Would this be more than for, say, a Sheltie?”
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No problem Eddie...I'll buy the Christmas gifts for your kids.

In real $#@!hole countries they just eat them .

I'm a contender for the title of world's #1 dog lover and this idea makes ME livid, I consider dogs to be almost people but that almost is still a massive ocean of separation.

If they can't afford their pets then maybe they will go out and get an under the table job to pay for them, or maybe they will get a real job to support themselves and their pets.

If there are a few who just can't work then boo hoo, if anybody has the money to waste helping them keep their pets then they should create a private charity. (which is the proper solution for the HUMANS on food stamps)

Liberals should be outraged at this too, after all aren't there enough poor starving PEOPLE in the country and the world that the money could be spent on before we get around to ANIMALS.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Next it will be government health insurance for pets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Next it will be government health insurance for pets.
    I would like free food and health insurance for my pets.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I would like free food and health insurance for my pets.
    Veterinarian costs are far too low. If we can only get government to help pay for pet health insurance, we will no doubt be able to increase those costs tenfold.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Veterinarian costs are far too low. If we can only get government to help pay for pet health insurance, we will no doubt be able to increase those costs tenfold.

I don’t bring my pets into veterinarians.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What?... nothing for cats??? #meowtoo.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Reminds me of a story my dad tells. He went to collect payment on work from someone who kept not paying. He was told "Sorry I'm late on paying but times are rough. I had to cash in the beer bottles just to buy dog food"
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post

What about gerbils? HB ain’t rich.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Veterinarian costs are far too low.
    Not once mandatory Insurance kicks in.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Not once mandatory Insurance kicks in.
    Penicillin for your "pet" $8.00 phone it in and pick-up over lunch...

Penicillin for you $150.00 office visit, $250.00 lab fees and 6 hrs off work = script for Wal-Mart for $5.00

See! Government/big-business have made human drugs cheaper than animal drugs....

What about gerbils? HB ain’t rich.
    Not a pet person at all, thanks. I don't like cleaning up after them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

People with pets and no jobs could start their own businesses walking and feeding other peoples' pets. That would be a good way to buy food and vet care.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post

Makes sense.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    People with pets and no jobs could start their own businesses walking and feeding other peoples' pets. That would be a good way to buy food and vet care.
    Gives new meaning to the phrase: Will work for food.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    + rep for being pro kitty.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

file photo

My sarcastic and uppity black companion does not eat 'gubmint cheese.

We had a cat until we dog sat. That's when we realized we were really dog people. If someone can't work full time, it is reasonable for him to at least help care for other people's pets in order to feed his own pet.

People can give up a pet to a good home if they have many pets and need to trim the budget. I get the connection to pets, but I do not think someone should expect everyone to pay to support his pet when their own kids might go hungry.
    #NashvilleStrong

OMG...did you just walk into that...SMH

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    OMG...did you just walk into that...SMH
    Kurwa?
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I'm a contender for the title of world's #1 dog lover and this idea makes ME livid, I consider dogs to be almost people but that almost is still a massive ocean of separation.

If they can't afford their pets then maybe they will go out and get an under the table job to pay for them, or maybe they will get a real job to support themselves and their pets.

If there are a few who just can't work then boo hoo, if anybody has the money to waste helping them keep their pets then they should create a private charity. (which is the proper solution for the HUMANS on food stamps)

Liberals should be outraged at this too, after all aren't there enough poor starving PEOPLE in the country and the world that the money could be spent on before we get around to ANIMALS.
    Maybe if we pay for their food, they can afford more of them, each chained out in its own round bare spot in the corner of the yard or cage at the back of the lot.
    If you can't feed your dog yourself, you can't spare time to pet it either, more than a twice a day visit for water and food.
    Also, to liberals animals are people, so they can include that brand of snowflake into the identity party.
    Now free medical care for pets... I have a dog that's costing $60 per week in maintenance fees and special foods for diabeetus. Won't you kind brothers spare a dime?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Kurwa?
    Danke was $#@!ing with you.

In the worst way.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Danke was $#@!ing with you.

In the worst way.
    He is quite the little bitch, isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by LGBTQHB View Post
    He is quite the little bitch, isn't he?
    how’s your Florida vacation going?

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

how’s your Florida vacation going?

I'm in AZ, and apparently your sightseeing trip there is enjoyable for ya... *pours bleach in eyes* no thanks for sharing