Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trump imposes 30 percent tariff on solar panel imports

Trump imposes 30 percent tariff on solar panel imports

MAGA
    The move is a major blow for the $28 billion solar industry, which gets about 80 percent of its solar panel products from imports.

The Solar Energy Industries Association predicted the tariffs would increase prices and kill 23,000 jobs. The group represents manufacturers as well as installers, sellers and others in the field.

Suniva and SolarWorld Americas, the bankrupt companies which requested the tariffs, say tariffs would boost domestic manufacturing and add more than 100,000 jobs.

The tariffs unveiled Monday apply to all imported solar photovoltaic cells and modules, the main technology on panels that convert solar energy into electricity.

While the action is targeted at imports from China, Trump’s tariffs apply to all imports, since Chinese manufacturers have moved operations to other countries.

“The president’s action makes clear again that the Trump administration will always defend American workers, farmers, ranchers and businesses in this regard,” U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said in a statement Monday announcing the decision along with a decision to impose tariffs on imported washers.

SolarWorld Americas, a unit of a German company, said in a statement that it was grateful
    for Trump’s work, but it is still reviewing whether the tariffs are high enough. It had sought 50 percent tariffs.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ya, $#@! china, and $#@! solar too!

#MAGA
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    MAGA
    Making solar panels is a dangerous occupation as the process can be quite poisonous to the environment and the workers. That is the main reason they are not made in the US.

What this will do is kill solar companies in the US that install panels, as it will become too expensive to keep customers.
    There is no spoon.

Unhappy Pipelines, Frackers, Oil, Coal, Natural Gas $$$$$

Burn natural gas, fuel oil, and coal when solar gets too expensive. Burn baby, burn! $$$$$$$$$$ Plug into the NSA/DHS power grid.

Is it true that Ronald Reagan ripped Jimiah Carter's solar panels off of the roof of the White House?

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

SolarWorld Americas, a unit of a German company, said in a statement that it was grateful for Trump’s work, but it is still reviewing whether the tariffs are high enough. It had sought 50 percent tariffs.
    F Trump. F you SolarWorld, more.
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

Credit where credit is due.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/26510...ryan-saavedra#

Trump Jacks Up Tariffs On Solar Panels. Here's How China Responded.
    Manufacturing continues to boom under Trump . . .

ByRYAN SAAVEDRA January 30, 2018 319.8k views

Just one week after the Trump administration announced a massive 30% tariff on imported solar panels, one of China's largest solar panel manufacturers announced plans to open a manufacturing plant in the United States.

The company, JinkoSolar, said on Monday that they have received the green light from their board of directors to "finalize planning for the construction of an advanced solar manufacturing facility in the U.S." CNN Money reports:

The statement suggested Jinko's decision was tied to the new tariffs, saying that the company "continues to closely monitor treatment of imports of solar cells and modules under the U.S. trade laws."

... Read more.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    S. Korea should consider restricting imports of U.S. LNG: scholar
    http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news...20.html?sns=tw

SEOUL, Jan. 30 (Yonhap) -- A law professor said Tuesday that South Korea should consider restricting imports of U.S. liquefied natural gas (LNG) in response to U.S. safeguard measures.

Choi Won-mok, a law professor at Ewha Womans University, also said South Korea could move to impose higher tariffs on U.S. liquefied natural gas.

Currently, South Korea puts no tariff on U.S. LNG under their bilateral free trade deal, except for a 2 percent tariff during the October-March period every year, according to the Korea Customs Service.

Choi made the case in a round table meeting with economic experts on how to deal with U.S. safeguard measures.

The first shipment of U.S. shale gas arrived in South Korea last year under a 2012 deal between Korea Gas Corp. (KOGAS) and the Texas-based Cheniere Energy. The deal calls for South Korea's state-run gas supplier to bring in 2.8 million tons of liquefied gas annually until 2036.

KOGAS estimated its annual imports to be worth US$1 billion.

Last week, U.S. President Donald Trump signed a set of safeguard measures against foreign made, large residential washing machines and solar cells, including those from South Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    S. Korea should consider restricting imports of U.S. LNG: scholar
    http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news...20.html?sns=tw

SEOUL, Jan. 30 (Yonhap) -- A law professor said Tuesday that South Korea should consider restricting imports of U.S. liquefied natural gas (LNG) in response to U.S. safeguard measures.

Choi Won-mok, a law professor at Ewha Womans University, also said South Korea could move to impose higher tariffs on U.S. liquefied natural gas.

Currently, South Korea puts no tariff on U.S. LNG under their bilateral free trade deal, except for a 2 percent tariff during the October-March period every year, according to the Korea Customs Service.

Choi made the case in a round table meeting with economic experts on how to deal with U.S. safeguard measures.

The first shipment of U.S. shale gas arrived in South Korea last year under a 2012 deal between Korea Gas Corp. (KOGAS) and the Texas-based Cheniere Energy. The deal calls for South Korea's state-run gas supplier to bring in 2.8 million tons of liquefied gas annually until 2036.

KOGAS estimated its annual imports to be worth US$1 billion.

Last week, U.S. President Donald Trump signed a set of safeguard measures against foreign made, large residential washing machines and solar cells, including those from South Korea.
    When you have a trade deficit as large as ours you have nothing to lose and everything to gain from a trade war.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

When you have a trade deficit as large as ours you have nothing to lose and everything to gain from a trade war.
    yeah... that's the old 'They need me more than I need them' mentality.

reminds me of the alcoholic, abusive 'family provider' who one day comes home to an empty house.

reminds me of the alcoholic, abusive 'family provider' who one day comes home to an empty house.
    Meh, coming home to an empty house is better than coming home to an eviction notice and divorce papers.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

It's more like getting rid of parasites.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

http://blog.independent.org/2017/03/...trade-so-what/

I place the balance of international payments data in the class of statistics for which the world would have been a happier place had the data never been devised, popularized (in a rough way), and used by policy makers. This last aspect is the crux of the matter because the balance-of-trade data in particular can scarcely help but serve as a rationale for pernicious policies, such as export subsidies and tariffs, quotas, and other official restrictions on imports. In short, the data help the government establish and maintain policies that enrich the privileged few at the expense of the unconnected many, including consumers in general and producers who rely on imported raw materials and components, as many do these days.

Although the topic may appear daunting, the essence of the matter is utterly simple. As a fair approximation, each international transaction, whether it be buying, selling, borrowing, or lending across a national border involves a willing party on each side—importers want to purchase goods from sellers abroad, lenders want to lend to borrowers abroad, and so forth. Each party to the transactions expects to benefit by entering into it. In a sane and just world, that would be the end of the matter. People would simply be left alone to make the transactions they wish to make in anticipation of benefiting thereby. If each transactor benefits, how can the nation as a whole suffer?

Of course, one might claim that because, for example, consumers wish to purchase imported products, the sellers of competing, domestically produced products suffer, but such parties have no defensible right to suppress consumers’ freedom of choice simply because the consumers have chosen to patronize alternative suppliers. After all, such losses of sales by domestic producers might have arisen just as easily from changes in consumers’ purchases that had nothing to do with imports (e.g., changes in tastes or the appearance of new, better, competing domestic products).
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    Riddle me this batman:

What happens when all your manufacturing capacity is moved offshore and you have nothing but a consumer/service economy?
    Where do your consumers get the money to buy the things made in foreign countries or pay for the services they provide to one another?
    What happens when the foreign countries demand you submit to world government or be embargoed?
    How do you ever re-build your manufacturing base if all the technology and skilled and experienced personnel are gone?

Politics is war by other means, Geopolitics doubly so.

The trade war has been going on for many decades, the foreigners started it and we either collaborated or did nothing, our economy is on the brink of destruction, it's time we started fighting back.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Riddle me this batman:

What happens when all your manufacturing capacity is moved offshore and you have nothing but a consumer/service economy?
    Where do your consumers get the money to buy the things made in foreign countries or pay for the services they provide to one another?
    What happens when the foreign countries demand you submit to world government or be embargoed?
    How do you ever re-build your manufacturing base if all the technology and skilled and experienced personnel are gone?

Politics is war by other means, Geopolitics doubly so.

The trade war has been going on for many decades, the foreigners started it and we either collaborated or did nothing, our economy is on the brink of destruction, it's time we started fighting back.
    Dear Mr. Nygma,

Your penchant for blaming all this (if it were entirely true) on foreign countries is quaint. More economic freedom is an avenue toward better conditions. Less economic freedom punishes traders and consumers. Don't use trade deficit funny numbers to advocate corporatist special treatment for special interests at the expense of citizens at large.

Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Dear Mr. Nygma,

Your penchant for blaming all this (if it were entirely true) on foreign countries is quaint. More economic freedom is an avenue toward better conditions. Less economic freedom punishes traders and consumers. Don't use trade deficit funny numbers to advocate corporatist special treatment for special interests at the expense of citizens at large.

Your argument sounds good on paper but it fails to take into account the status quo. C-

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Your argument sounds good on paper but it fails to take into account the status quo. C-
    So you're saying capitalism looks good on paper but it doesn't work.
    My dad always used to tell me communism looked good on paper but it doesn't work.
    I'm so confused.

Dear Mr. Nygma,

We don't have economic freedom in the world we have economic warfare, we can have economic freedom in our country but only if we have an economy protected from foreign predation.

You have absolutely no response to the practical problems I pointed out so you resort to abstract platitudes that presume conditions not present in the world at large.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

My dad always used to tell me communism looked good on paper but it doesn't work.
    I'm so confused.
    What he is saying is that you are claiming we need the free market to get back to normal, which sounds great, but we don't have a free market and it isn't in the cards that we will have one any time soon. It is even LESS in the cards if Hillary had won.

Our market is so distorted it has been destroying our manufacturing and production jobs for decades.

This will help reverse that. It's not optimal, but it is far preferable to what we have now.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I'm so confused.
    You should have listened to your dad. He was smart.

I'm so confused.
    Capitalism works great in your country where you can prevent hostile government intervention in the market but it works lousy in the international arena when dealing with hostile governments that intervene in the market, they may destroy themselves but they destroy you first.

An armed society is a polite society applies to international trade, you can have relatively free trade once you achieve a standoff in the economic war but if you just disarm you will get eaten alive.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

We don't have economic freedom in the world we have economic warfare, we can have economic freedom in our country but only if we have an economy protected from foreign predation.

You have absolutely no response to the practical problems I pointed out so you resort to abstract platitudes that presume conditions not present in the world at large.
    Okay, now you're saying our problems are because we don't have economic freedom? I thought it was foreigners.

The effects of economic freedom are not abstract. Other than special treatment handouts, economic freedom is the most concrete advantage one can have when negotiating life.

Keynesian economic meddling is abstract hocus-pocus that a purist idealogue uses to try to achieve his elitist wonkery.

Trade is not war. It's a free exchange that benefits both sides.

Trade is trade. War is war. And tariffs aren't trade. They're war, as Ron Paul repeatedly points out. Asking for tariffs is warmongering, except you're bringing the war to the doorstep of citizens. The other kind they can sit back and watch on CNN while they wave their flags and blame other countries.

Okay, now you're saying our problems are because we don't have economic freedom? I thought it was foreigners.

The effects of economic freedom are not abstract. Other than special treatment handouts, economic freedom is the most concrete advantage one can have when negotiating life.

Keynesian economic meddling is abstract hocus-pocus that a purist idealogue uses to try to achieve his elitist wonkery.

Trade is not war. It's a free exchange that benefits both sides.

Trade is trade. War is war. And tariffs aren't trade. They're war, as Ron Paul repeatedly points out. Asking for tariffs is warmongering, except you're bringing the war to the doorstep of citizens. The other kind they can sit back and watch on CNN while they wave their flags and blame other countries.
    I made a difference between THE WORLD most of which we don't control and is full of hostile government intervention in the marketplace and OUR COUNTRY where we can prevent it.

Tariffs AND subsidies are war, that is my point, other countries have been waging war on us with both and we have been collaborating or doing nothing, it is time we fought back.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Capitalism works great in your country where you can prevent hostile government intervention in the market but it works lousy in the international arena when dealing with hostile governments that intervene in the market, they may destroy themselves but they destroy you first.
    I've heard this before somewhere.

An armed society is a polite society applies to international trade, you can have relatively free trade once you achieve a standoff in the economic war but if you just disarm you will get eaten alive.
    Trade isn't aggression. Aggression only hampers trade. Trade benefits both traders. Not trading is the process of economic collapse.

I've heard this before somewhere.

You can't abandon something that doesn't exist, other countries destroyed the international free market long ago, we have to defend ourselves in the war they started.

Trade isn't aggression. Aggression only hampers trade. Trade benefits both traders. Not trading is the process of economic collapse.
    Tariffs and subsidies are warfare, we have to fight back.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Tariffs AND subsidies are war, that is my point, other countries have been waging war on us with both and we have been collaborating or doing nothing, it is time we fought back.
    Foreign subsidies and tariffs are a nation's war on their own people just like farm subsidies are here. Foreign subsidies in particular are the way Americans get cheap stuff so they can spend money on other things.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe the reason some American industries are outcompeted by, say, China, is because China has become MASSIVELY more free market over time and we've gone the opposite direction?

https://mises.org/blog/why-us-has-lo...facturing-jobs

The basic story is that half the world had a labor force that was basically being thwarted by communist and similar repressive governments, and when the dam was burst and free market forces unleashed, giant equilibrating economic forces came into play.
    I suggest you take a little time off vdare and visit mises.org for a while. Get your conservative side back. Capitalism works on paper and in the real world. Capitalism is why China is being successful.

You can't abandon something that doesn't exist, other countries destroyed the international free market long ago, we have to defend ourselves in the war they started.
    Every time a trader in one country and a trader in another country trade, a tiny little international free market is happening. No matter how hard your Keynesian manipulations try to stem it, trade will continue.

Foreign subsidies and tariffs are a nation's war on their own people just like farm subsidies are here. Foreign subsidies in particular are the way Americans get cheap stuff so they can spend money on other things.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe the reason some American industries are outcompeted by, say, China, is because China has become MASSIVELY more free market over time and we've gone the opposite direction?

https://mises.org/blog/why-us-has-lo...facturing-jobs

I suggest you take a little time off vdare and visit mises.org for a while. Get your conservative side back. Capitalism works on paper and in the real world. Capitalism is why China is being successful.
    LOL, you have really swallowed the China kool-aid, their economy is indistinguishable from their government, it's the same to a greater or lesser degree in most countries.

You were the one who referenced Ron Paul saying that tariffs were war on foreign countries, well the foreign countries wage war with tariffs and subsidies on us and we have to fight back.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    This will help reverse that.
    Making the market less free will not free the market.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast