Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: US Government Shuts Down (2018)

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    I'm beginning to detect a pattern to your posts in this thread.
    Well that last one isn't entirely accurate. They had to wait a couple weeks for the Greenland ice cores to come back to the labs here in the US before they could speak to what had gone extinct in those couple weeks.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I remember the 1996 shutdown vividly.
    Within 24 hours all the meat at the grocery stores was rancid.
    It didn't turn rancid - they were just waiting for the USDA inspectors to be out before they intentionally stocked the shelves with rancid meat.
    Then there was the young lady I knew who got a haircut, but without the occupational licensers watching, she ended up getting her ears cut and a severe gash across her forehead.
    But it was worse: without the licensing authority to tell her she didn't get a good service, she didn't even know, and ended up walking around bleeding for days, thinking nothing was the matter.
    When the federal government came back online we found out that eighteen thousand different species of freshwater crayfish had gone extinct.
    Luckily for us, the "shutdown" won't really shut down any of those oh-so-essential services.

Yes Sir, we shall continue to be serviced, good and hard.

Shelter in place! The sky is falling! You are all going to die because...SHUTDOWN!

https://twitter.com/HuffPost/status/954554351250558976

https://twitter.com/DrDenaGrayson/st...56037414842368

https://twitter.com/business/status/954721208905404417

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/953963475042267136

https://twitter.com/chriscmooney/sta...93564528087040
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Once annually, MSM harness all their fear-mongering prowess to incite the hypochondriacs into panic.

Dems are having a field day with this on social media...

“I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Who's going to control and prevent disease if CDC.gov shuts down? We're all gonna die from the PLAGUE unless the illegal alien DACA Dream Students get amnesty!

[IMG]https://********************************/2015/01/health-ebola_usa-cdc.jpg?quality=90&strip=all[/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Luckily for us, the "shutdown" won't really shut down any of those oh-so-essential services.

Yes Sir, we shall continue to be serviced, good and hard.

Yep, the TSA is still groping. @TheTexan is busy.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Mick Mulvaney: Government Shutdown Update Press Briefing
    Director of the Office of Management and Budget OMB
    Last edited by goldenequity; 01-20-2018 at 06:44 PM.

I dont know about you guys, but today was at least as, if not more, productive for me than yesterday. Maybe there's something magic to this shutdown business...

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Who's going to control and prevent disease if CDC.gov shuts down? We're all gonna die from the PLAGUE unless the illegal alien DACA Dream Students get amnesty!

[IMG]https://********************************/2015/01/health-ebola_usa-cdc.jpg?quality=90&strip=all[/IMG]
    Is that you Christina Wilkie?
    Last edited by Raginfridus; 01-20-2018 at 06:55 PM.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Blame game is getting bit out of hand. What part of 'always be bluffin/never show'em your hand' they don't understand?

Chuck Schumer likens Trump talks to 'negotiating with jello,'
    wonders who's in charge at White House

Washington Examiner 6h ago

Trump

If there’s one thing Democrats and Republicans (some publicly, many others privately) agree on, it’s that the president’s negotiating style has made it much harder for the two sides to reach a deal. Trump has veered wildly from one extreme to the other—telling lawmakers in one meeting that he’d sign any DACA bill Congress sent him, then issuing a list of hard-line demands in the next. His vulgar reference to African nations, among others, as “$#@!hole countries” while rejecting a bipartisan DACA proposal blew up the negotiations at a critical juncture.
    Republicans have begged the president to tell them exactly what he’d accept in an agreement and then stick to it. But Trump hasn’t delivered. “I’m looking for something that President Trump supports, and he has not yet indicated what measure he is willing to sign,” McConnell told reporters this week, in a telling sign of the GOP’s frustration with the president’s inconsistency. “As soon as we figure out what he is for, then I would be convinced that we were not just spinning our wheels.”

Democrats have been even more frustrated, accusing the president of repeatedly backing out of commitments he makes to them in private once he hears from conservative Republicans. That occurred when Trump initially told Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois he would support the immigration deal Durbin struck with Graham and four other lawmakers only to flip his position a few hours later. And, according to Schumer, the president did it again in the final hours before the shutdown began, after the Senate minority leader said he bolstered the Democrats’ offer and put funding for Trump’s border wall on the table. “He backed off at the first sign of pressure,” Schumer complained early Saturday morning after the midnight deadline had passed.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...t-down/551027/

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/...29343405690880
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

(x-post from other shutdown thread)

Keep watching Congress during this shutdown (yes I know, how terribly tiresome) as these are the types of circumstances that they historically, and often in violation of their own rules and laws, slip through major law changes when few are watching at odd hours with less than a quorum (see: Federal Reserve Act, 1930 bankruptcy of US Inc corporation that led to fiat FRN system, Obamacare, etc.) Any student of real history should appreciate the seriousness of this period and the need to ensure it is documented. China is going live with a yuan backed oil futures contract (that's readily redeemable in gold) that will officially knock the dollar off as global reserve. I think the shutdown and the petroyuan launch are being timed together and directly related...

Pray no alleged terrorist act occurs during the shutdown, though I'm almost expecting something to happen. It's just how they roll.
    Last edited by devil21; 01-20-2018 at 07:56 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post

Is this real? In the past some fake tweets had been going around too.

Dems obviously want Trump regime to look bad and had decided that shutdown would hurt GOP even though it is risky for Dems too in reality. There are signs of cracks in Dems coalition too, some Trump art of the deal negotiations tactics could potentially show some gains for GOP base.

OTOH it seems since departure of conservative base loved Steve Bannon, Trump is being pressured into talking shifting positions and as a result Dems and even some on the Right apparently have started to turn on Trump. Might be just coincidence, ever since Trump accepted zionist lobbies pressure and moved US embassy in Israel and allowed Javanka wing of GOP/controversial anti-money laundering champion Jared Kushner to take bigger role in policies, some troubling developments have surfaced. Trump is under constant pressure and distractions from Mueller probe to growing "Peggy Peterson" scandal in media. Trump needs some sincere non-Javanka type conservatives around him to steer things straight. Respected Senate leader Mitch McConnel reportedly had said that "Trump will sign any bill we put before him".

Trump’s immigration meeting was lowest day of presidency: Ann Coulter

Rupert Murdoch 'called Donald Trump a f****** idiot', claims new book
    The Independent Jan 3, 2018
    Mr Murdoch allegedly suggested that it might be difficult to reconcile the administration’s stance on building a roughly 2,000-mile long wall along the US-Mexico border with a favourable, more open stance towards H1B-based immigration.
    “But Trump seemed unconcerned, assuring Murdoch, ‘We’ll figure it out.’ ‘What a $#@!ing idiot,’ said Murdoch, shrugging, as he got off the phone,” wrote Mr Wolff in the book.

Related

"Shutdown is the new 's-word' ", gov shutdown looms as deadline is only 4 days away

The Sunday morning political shows were quite the circus. Luis Gutierrez should win an academy award for drama. He's so entertaining and so full of crap at the same time. The truth has never left his lips, but he can really lay out the bleeding heart drama.

Hilarious Democrat talking points today. They have the gall to contradict themselves with a straight face:

"This is the Trump shutdown. It is the President's fault. The DACA children are being held hostage. That is why we are shutting down the government, and that is why we are shutting it down now. DACA is expiring. IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Hilarious Democrat talking points today. They have the gall to contradict themselves with a straight face:

"This is the Trump shutdown. It is the President's fault. The DACA children are being held hostage. That is why we are shutting down the government, and that is why we are shutting it down now. DACA is expiring. IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN!!!"
    I think there is more to this, a lot out of Chuck Schemer's demands has to do with military spending.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Blame game is getting bit out of hand. What part of 'always be bluffin/never show'em your hand' they don't understand?

Chuck Schumer likens Trump talks to 'negotiating with jello,'
    wonders who's in charge at White House

Washington Examiner 6h ago

Trump

If there’s one thing Democrats and Republicans (some publicly, many others privately) agree on, it’s that the president’s negotiating style has made it much harder for the two sides to reach a deal. Trump has veered wildly from one extreme to the other—telling lawmakers in one meeting that he’d sign any DACA bill Congress sent him, then issuing a list of hard-line demands in the next. His vulgar reference to African nations, among others, as “$#@!hole countries” while rejecting a bipartisan DACA proposal blew up the negotiations at a critical juncture.
    Republicans have begged the president to tell them exactly what he’d accept in an agreement and then stick to it. But Trump hasn’t delivered. “I’m looking for something that President Trump supports, and he has not yet indicated what measure he is willing to sign,” McConnell told reporters this week, in a telling sign of the GOP’s frustration with the president’s inconsistency. “As soon as we figure out what he is for, then I would be convinced that we were not just spinning our wheels.”

Democrats have been even more frustrated, accusing the president of repeatedly backing out of commitments he makes to them in private once he hears from conservative Republicans. That occurred when Trump initially told Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois he would support the immigration deal Durbin struck with Graham and four other lawmakers only to flip his position a few hours later. And, according to Schumer, the president did it again in the final hours before the shutdown began, after the Senate minority leader said he bolstered the Democrats’ offer and put funding for Trump’s border wall on the table. “He backed off at the first sign of pressure,” Schumer complained early Saturday morning after the midnight deadline had passed.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...t-down/551027/
    Democrats are mad that Trump is using their tactics.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Keep watching Congress during this shutdown (yes I know, how terribly tiresome) as these are the types of circumstances that they historically, and often in violation of their own rules and laws, slip through major law changes when few are watching at odd hours with less than a quorum (see: Federal Reserve Act, 1930 bankruptcy of US Inc corporation that led to fiat FRN system, Obamacare, etc.)
    The American public is like el Toro. Few of them can take their eyes off the big red cape in the matador's left hand. But the sword is in the matador's right hand.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Pray no alleged terrorist act occurs during the shutdown, though I'm almost expecting something to happen. It's just how they roll.
    Pray to whom it won't happen? Better to pray they're dumb enough to stage it outside of a gun-free zone, so it can be foiled by the public.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post

There will never be a problem finding Trump contradicting himself. He's a Democrat at heart after all.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    I think there is more to this, a lot out of Chuck Schemer's demands has to do with military spending.
    No doubt there is a lot more to it behind the scenes...much more than the drama on TV to deceive the peons.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Is this real? In the past some fake tweets had been going around too.

Said it during an interview with Merideth Vieria. Transcript: https://archives.nbclearn.com/portal...?cuecard=52817

VIEIRA: Do you consider yourself a tea partier?

TRUMP: I think so. I'm very proud...

VIEIRA: Yeah?

TRUMP: ...I'm very proud of some of the ideas they put forth. And the big idea is they want to stop this ridiculous, absolutely killer of spending that's going on. What's going on in this country, the way we're spending money like drunken sailors, we are just absolutely going—and ultimately we're going to destroy our own freedom. You can't do it.

VIEIRA: But they want to stop it even at the cost of shutting down the government.

TRUMP: Well, excuse me...

VIEIRA: That's a possibility.

TRUMP: Excuse me...

VIEIRA: Are you in favor of that?

TRUMP: ...excuse me. It's really shutting down the government, it's cutting costs. The kind of money that you're talking about is peanuts. And I think the tea party has done an amazing service for this country because people now, even very liberal Democrats, are starting to think for the first time, well, maybe we can't just keep giving everything

away.

VIEIRA: But if there were...

TRUMP: So I think they've performed a great service.

VIEIRA: So if there were a partial shutdown of the government come Friday, that would be OK with you.

TRUMP: In my opinion--you know, I hear the Democrats are going to be blamed and the Republicans are going to be blamed. I actually think the president would be blamed. If there is a shutdown, and it's not going to be a horrible shutdown because, as you know, things will sort of keep going.

VIEIRA: Well, it's a partial shutdown, right.

TRUMP: But if there is a shutdown I think it would be a tremendously negative mark on the president of the United States. He's the one that has to get people together.

VIEIRA: Right.

TRUMP: I'm a deal man. I've made hundreds and hundreds of deals and transactions. He never did deals before. How can you expect a man that's not a deal man that never did a deal, other than frankly becoming president of the United States, he never did a deal, how's he going to corral all these people to get them to do a deal?

VIEIRA: So how would you do it now? Now you're in the Oval office right now, it's Wednesday.

TRUMP: I would get everybody together and we'd have a budget and it would get done.

VIEIRA: They've all gotten together.

TRUMP: Well, that's because they don't have the right leader. You don't have the right leader. This is the President of the United States has to get this done, and I think he probably will. Now, I don't say "he." But I think he and the group probably will get it done, but it's pretty sad because the whole world is looking at us and laughing at us.
    Don't worry. If there is a government shutdown, Trump will solve it. He will bring everybody together. That is the President's job. He has said so.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-21-2018 at 12:24 PM.

Why is there a shutdown? Because there has not been an actual budget. The fiscal year began in October and under President Trump there has not been a single actual budget proposed or voted on in Congress. (By the Constitution, all spending bills must originate in the Senate). They just kick the can farther down the road with "continuing budget" resolutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Said it during an interview with Merideth Vieria. Transcript: https://archives.nbclearn.com/portal...?cuecard=52817

Don't worry. If there is a government shutdown, Trump will solve it. He will bring everybody together. That is the President's job. He has said so.

Oh ok, just wanted to make sure it was non-fakenews.

On a lighter note, breaking on google news frontpage currently that says something about our free market capitalism spirit.

The federal government remained shut down, but Daniels was open for business.

January 21 at 10:53 AM
    GREENVILLE, S.C. — Year two of the Trump presidency began here overnight much like year one had ended: with his alleged ex-mistress smashing people’s faces into her bare chest at a strip club between an airport and a cemetery.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...d87_story.html

Why is there a shutdown? Because there has not been an actual budget. The fiscal year began in October and under President Trump there has not been a single actual budget proposed or voted on in Congress. (By the Constitution, all spending bills must originate in the Senate). They just kick the can farther down the road with "continuing budget" resolutions.
    Budget was passed in October. Please educate yourself about how government works.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/26/politi...orm/index.html

I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    Budget was passed in October. Please educate yourself about how government works.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/26/politi...orm/index.html

Wasn't an actual full-on budget or the government would have been funded the entire fiscal year- which runs until next October. More of a group of ideas and set the legal basis to allow them to pass the tax bill with a simple majority. (Rand Paul voted against it).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...uts/780610001/

The Senate passed its budget plan: Here's what that means for tax cuts, what it doesn't and what's next
    What the budget does not do

It is not a law, so the budget cannot actually cut or raise spending or taxes. And this year, it is widely assumed the spending levels for the fiscal year — which actually began Oct. 1 — will not really be used by appropriators.

That point was emphasized by Sen. John McCain, the Arizona Republican who chairs the Armed Services Committee. He was a potential holdout on the budget resolution because he believed spending levels for the Pentagon were set too low, but he agreed to vote for it because of the tax language.

"Even as we support this resolution as a means to achieve meaningful tax reform, we must acknowledge the fact that the underlying budget contains an insufficient level of funding for national defense," McCain said.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-21-2018 at 01:31 PM.

The House.

But we know better than to expect you to know anything about the Constitution.
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 01-21-2018 at 02:59 PM.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

The house.

But we know better than to expect you to know anything about the Constitution.
    You are right- the House. I was wrong on that. Thanks for the correction.

You are right- the House. I was wrong on that. Thanks for the correction.
    i hope this will not reflect negatively on your performance review although something tells me making $#@! up is par for the course.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast