Thread: 95% of House GOPers (incl. 90% of Freedom Caucus) Vote For Increased Spending

95% of House GOPers (incl. 90% of Freedom Caucus) Vote For Increased Spending

The House voted Thursday night to avert a government shutdown, sending the bill on to the Senate, where its future is much less certain. Shortly before the House vote, the Freedom Caucus said a majority of its members would vote to support a stopgap spending measure, a key sign that holdout conservatives who had been undecided earlier had come on board.
    http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/18/politi...ex.html224/238

224/238 GOPers voted Yay.

27/31 Freedom Caucus members voted Yay.

Freedom Caucus Nays

• Justin Amash
    • Andy Biggs
    • Paul Gosar
    • Alex Mooney

*note that Massie and Walter Jones also voted Nay, but they're not members of the Freedom Caucus

Freedom Caucus Yays (i.e. full of $#@!)

• Joe Barton
    • Rod Blum
    • Dave Brat
    • Jim Bridenstine
    • Mo Brooks
    • Ken Buck
    • Ted Budd
    • Warren Davidson
    • Ron DeSantis
    • Scott DesJarlais
    • Jeff Duncan
    • Tom Garrett Jr.
    • Louie Gohmert
    • Morgan Griffith
    • Andy Harris
    • Jody Hice
    • Jim Jordan
    • Raúl Labrador
    • Mark Meadows (chairman)
    • Gary Palmer
    • Steve Pearce
    • Scott Perry
    • Bill Posey
    • Mark Sanford
    • David Schweikert
    • Randy Weber
    • Ted Yoho

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How did Massie vote?

Quote Originally Posted by qh4dotcom View Post
    How did Massie vote?
    The right way (as did Walter Jones and a few other non-Freedom Caucus people)

Two GOP nay votes were RINOs who voted with the Democrats because they demanded DACA.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

It was to continue government spending at current levels- not to raise spending.

loveshiscountry

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    It was to continue government spending at current levels- not to raise spending.
    It was to continue out of control government spending at current levels- not to raise out of control spending higher.

Most of those calling themselves the Freedom Caucus are anything but. Calling yourself something doesn't make you that. Many were elected when it was cool to ride the Liberty coattails.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yea, can you guess what this is? Clue: One word, utter, second word, bollocks.

$20,612,549,000,000
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Oh.. That was all?
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Only temporary CRs have elevated Obama big-spender level spending or new budget will too? If GOP budget spending will stay at Obama level spending, then you may have a point. But Javanka GOP would still look like hypocrites on spending.

Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post
    Yea, can you guess what this is? Clue: One word, utter, second word, bollocks.

$20,612,549,000,000
    If I am spending $100 a month more than I take in each month, my debt will continue to rise even if what I take in and spend does not change. If in January I was $100 in debt, in February I will be $200 in debt, in March I will be $300 in debt.....

The House voted to extend current spending by one month (Senate failed to pass it). It was a "continuing resolution"- continuing meaning keep doing what they were already doing- for another 30 days.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/18/politi...own/index.html

While reluctant to pass yet another short-term continuing resolution -- the fourth in just months -- many rank-and-file members seemed mostly resigned Wednesday to the fact that it was the only option, even if they were not happy about it.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-21-2018 at 09:46 PM.

The House voted to extend current spending by one month. It was a "continuing resolution"- continuing meaning keep doing what they were already doing- for another 30 day
    When you spend what you do not have the means to repay, it is called theft by conversion and it's a crime. When you devise a Ponzi scheme to color your crime, such as calling it a "continuing resolution", to hook in all the suckers (e.g., Zippy), then it becomes a crime of fraud.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

That it was only a short-term CR is beside the point.

It was leverage which could have been used to prevent the incoming spending increases (or even to cut spending).

Instead, the GOP (incl. almost all of the Freedom Caucus) folded under political pressure.

And I have every expectation that they'll do the same thing next time.