Thread: Was This Kelly's "Bannon Moment"?

Was This Kelly's "Bannon Moment"?

The Washington Post shocked readers on Wednesday when it reported that White House Chief of Staff John Kelly told the Congressional Hispanic Caucus during a visit to the Hill that President Donald Trump’s initial vision for the southern border wall was "ill-informed."
    But anybody who assumed WaPo was distorting Kelly's remarks, or taking them out of context, was swiftly disabused of that notion when Kelly himself took to Fox News to offer a quick clarification: Kelly explained to Bret Baier that what he really said was that Trump’s views on the Wall - and on DACA - had “evolved” since the campaign...
    "As we talked about things — where this president is and how much he wants to deal with this DACA issue and take it away — I told them that, you know, there’s been an evolutionary process that this president has gone through as a campaign [sic]. And I pointed out to all of the members that were in the room that they all say things during the course of campaigns that may or may not be fully informed. But this president, if you’ve seen what he’s done, he has changed the way that he’s looked at a number of things. ... So he has evolved in the way he’s looked at things. Campaign to governing are two different things, and this president is very, very flexible in terms of what is within the realm of the possible."
    While we imagine Kelly’s remarks were well-intentioned, observers familiar with Trump’s obsessive approach to his public image will recognize that Kelly made the grave mistake of undercutting his boss’s claim to be the master of all subjects (“I’m, like, really smart”).

Trump quickly let his displeasure be known Thursday morning when he rebuked Kelly in a series of tweets, declaring that “the wall is the wall” and that Trump’s views on the wall have never “evolved.” Mexico will still pay for the wall, Trump said, declaring that its estimated cost of $20 billion (many estimates place it closer to $70 billion) is “peanuts” relative to Mexico’s $70 billion annual trade surplus with the US.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-bannon-moment
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    While we imagine Kelly’s remarks were well-intentioned, observers familiar with Trump’s obsessive approach to his public image will recognize that Kelly made the grave mistake of undercutting his boss’s claim to be the master of all subjects (“I’m, like, really smart”).
    $#@!ing horse$#@!. Is WaPo trying to tell me that smart people don't ever evolve their views? Quite the opposite. This author is a $#@!ing moron and has no business writing anything that other people might read.

Edit: $#@!, this is zerohedge again??

Dude, are you reading this zerohedge?? I'm really a huge fan, but you've gotta quit this $#@! out, it makes you look $#@!ing stupid. I agree with you about more $#@! than I do Trump, but Trump has a higher IQ than you, you don't seem to know what's going on half the time and you are falling for MSM horse$#@! way too often when it comes to subjects about Trump.

Also, Trump typed that quote about being "like, really smart". Don't you realize he was trolling?? Get your head the $#@!ing game man..
    Last edited by dannno; 01-18-2018 at 04:00 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    $#@!ing horse$#@!. Is WaPo trying to tell me that smart people don't ever evolve their views? Quite the opposite. This author is a $#@!ing moron and has no business writing anything that other people might read.
    Despite the spin Trump did not take Kelly's action well, hopefully Kelly will be gone soon.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Does Trump think a 70 billion trade surplus means the Mexican government earns 70 billion?
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Despite the spin Trump did not take Kelly's action well, hopefully Kelly will be gone soon.
    Hard to tell what is going on here, tough call trying to pick one.

1. Trump is ready to quietly betray his base with a deal with some concessions. He will boast how he made a deal and lie saying he stuck to his campaign promises.

--or--

2. Kelly wants a DACA deal, does not think much of Trump and believes he knows better. Amazing Bannon is out and he got as far as he did without being shown the door.

--or--

3. Trump/Kelly deception. They are against DACA but know the Dems will not budge on any concessions. So they float a deal they know the Dems will reject and say look we tried.

John Kelly floated immigration deal without merit-based reform in 'constructive' meeting with Democrats
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/jo...rticle/2646329
    White House chief of staff John Kelly told members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus during a closed-door meeting Wednesday that President Trump may be open to signing an immigration bill that protects undocumented youth and boosts border security, but excludes steps to restrict family-based immigration.
    At least four individuals present for Wednesday's meeting said Kelly told them the president's personal persuasions have "evolved" now that he's an officeholder and not a candidate.

"The tone was something to the effect that what was said during the campaign is not necessarily what's going to be done in government," said Espaillat.
    This quote here has me leaning towards #2. I do not believe Trump thought this and it is astonishing that Kelly would make that comment.
    "Gen. Kelly said a 30-foot wall from sea to shining sea is not something that's viable, and now that the president has been more informed, he understands that," Rep. Lou Correa, D-Calif., told the Washington Examiner.
    It tells me Kelly thinks Trump is retarded and had to school him on the obvious. (if Trump really believes that oh $#@!)

Report: John Kelly Floated DACA Deal to Hispanic Dems
    https://www.newsmax.com/politics/joh.../18/id/838006/
    It was also during this meeting Kelly said Trump's positions about immigration had "evolved" since the campaign, a notion Kelly repeated later Wednesday in an interview on Fox News.
    Last edited by kahless; 01-18-2018 at 11:58 PM.