Thread: Science Panel Backs Lower Drunken Driving Threshold

Science Panel Backs Lower Drunken Driving Threshold

http://www.ksfy.com/content/news/Sci...469896533.html

WASHINGTON (AP) - A prestigious scientific panel is recommending states significantly lower their drunken driving threshold. It says 10,000 alcohol-impaired driving deaths a year are "entirely preventable."

The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine is throwing its weight behind lowering the blood-alcohol concentration threshold from 0.08 to 0.05 in a government-commissioned report.

All states have 0.08 thresholds. A Utah law passed last year that lowers the state's threshold to 0.05 doesn't go into effect until Dec. 30.

The report also recommends states significantly increase their alcohol taxes and make alcohol less conveniently available, including reducing the hours and days alcohol is sold in stores, bars and restaurants. It also calls for cracking down on sales to people under 21 or who are already intoxicated to discourage binge drinking.

Full article at link.

---

Yeah, cuz tightening the noose always nets more scofflaws, which means more money via fines on YOU.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Over a thousand police-related deaths are entirely preventable, too.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Neoprohibitionists at it again. Same people that push climate change. Wonder who funded them?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

"Buy a self driving car and you can actually take a drink during your night out on the town without getting arrested" will be the advertising pitch.

0 possibility that this is part of a conspiracy though.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Bias-theory.

The National Acadamies work hand in hand with M.A.D.D. I can't copy and paste but in this link it lauds M.A.D.D. as a "generating action" in lower alcohol fatalities..to ZERO.

Getting to Zero Alcohol-Impaired Driving Fatalities: https://www.nap.edu/read/24951/chapter/9

It says 10,000 alcohol-impaired driving deaths a year
    Fake statistic.

It's been shown again and again that those numbers are artificially inflated, by deeming any death with alcohol involved as being the cause, when the fact is that in many cases, the fatality was caused by the non-alcohol tainted driver.

Local example here in my state from a few years back that I had personal knowledge of:

A "t-bone" collision killed a man who had the right of way at an intersection.

The stop sign was run by a sober driver.

The victim, who had done nothing wrong, was found to have alcohol in his system .04% IIRC.

This was counted in that year's NTSB summary of traffic deaths related to alcohol.

I reckon there are a great many more like that.

That said, they have been pushing this for years.

The Safety Nazis never sleep and never stop and they never go away.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.” ― C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Fake statistic.

It's been shown again and again that those numbers are artificially inflated, by deeming any death with alcohol involved as being the cause, when the fact is that in many cases, the fatality was caused by the non-alcohol tainted driver.

Local example here in my state from a few years back that I had personal knowledge of:

The victim, who had done nothing wrong, was found to have alcohol in his system .04% IIRC.

This was counted in that year's NTSB summary of traffic deaths related to alcohol.

Past citations have been for...an impaired bicycle rider that tuned into passing traffic. Driver was sober but this was considered an alcohol related traffic fatality. And it was. But it wasn't due to the driver of a car.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We are building a better world, a world without sin.

So, after having waged thirty plus years of government jihad against drunk driving and mandatory seat belts, turning our roads and highways, once signs of freedom, fun and adventure, into a Kafkaesque, East German nightmare of road blocks, blood draws with hut-hutting heavily armed state enforcers bellowing orders and marching about.

And now we find that over the last few years, the fatality rate has jumped, considerably.

What "war on us" and po-lice "crackdown" will be announced next?

So, after having waged thirty plus years of government jihad against drunk driving and mandatory seat belts, turning our roads and highways, once signs of freedom, fun and adventure, into a Kafkaesque, East German nightmare of road blocks, blood draws with hut-hutting heavily armed state enforcers bellowing orders and marching about.

And now we find that over the last few years, the fatality rate has jumped, considerably.

What "war on us" and po-lice "crackdown" will be announced next?
    Time for a new campaign slogan. Instead of "Booze it and Lose it" they could change it to "$#@! you, that's why."

Fake statistic.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Bias-theory.

The National Acadamies work hand in hand with M.A.D.D. I can't copy and paste but in this link it lauds M.A.D.D. as a "generating action" in lower alcohol fatalities..to ZERO.

Getting to Zero Alcohol-Impaired Driving Fatalities: https://www.nap.edu/read/24951/chapter/9

M.A.D.D., along with most similar do-gooder organizations are some of the most evil, contemptible scourges ever visited on a puportedly free people.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    M.A.D.D., along with most similar do-gooder organizations are some of the most evil, contemptible scourges ever visited on a puportedly free people.
    Nothing new under the sun brother...

MGTOW FTW.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Much preferred this one:

Chris

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "SCIENCE"
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    "SCIENCE"
    Social Engineering

Prohibitionists are still at it.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I'm alcohol related. My great great great grandpa kept a saloon in Missouri or Illinois.

Wonder how that would play in 2018?

"Boys who may be girls but look like men, prefer girls who are boys that look like women that say maybe?"

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Much preferred this one:

Wonder how that would play in 2018?

"Boys who may be girls but look like men, prefer girls who are boys that look like women that say maybe?"

Hell, Joan Baez and co would probably be accused of enabling rapists and disgraced!
    Chris

Fake statistic.

Exactly.

M.A.D.D. operates the same way as the rest of Crony Capitalism; manipulating and distorting numbers to put bias on where you want to shift blame.

Its no different than a guy who chokes to death swallowing a whole piece of carrot that becomes lodged in his windpipe and blaming the death on tobacco because he is a smoker. Manipulate the statistics to say what you want them to say. Same way as Unemployment came down, same way as we have a Balanced Budget, same way as Tobacco is the #1 killer, same way as Global Warming, same way as money doesnt ever seem to go as far as it used to (because it dont) and same way they rationalize every single shred of individuality to bring us fully under their control grid.

Someone please +Rep AF, Im outta Rep...
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Exactly.

M.A.D.D. operates the same way as the rest of Crony Capitalism; manipulating and distorting numbers to put bias on where you want to shift blame.

Its no different than a guy who chokes to death swallowing a whole piece of carrot that becomes lodged in his windpipe and blaming the death on tobacco because he is a smoker. Manipulate the statistics to say what you want them to say. Same way as Unemployment came down, same way as we have a Balanced Budget, same way as Tobacco is the #1 killer, same way as Global Warming, same way as money doesnt ever seem to go as far as it used to (because it dont) and same way they rationalize every single shred of individuality to bring us fully under their control grid.

Someone please +Rep AF, Im outta Rep...
    Covered.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment