Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP my dog Fredo 1996-2018 (glad he died at home and not at the vet)

RIP my dog Fredo 1996-2018 (glad he died at home and not at the vet)

He died shortly after we discovered bone and lung cancer. I dreaded a discussion about euthanasia, but was so glad we did not. The funny thing is that the vet recommended it when discovering the illnesses. She gave us a quality of life evaluation. It was about this time that Fredo perked up and started prompting my wife and licking her face, as if to say Get me outa here!

Well, I think taking him home turned out to be a good decision. We managed him with three medications, which seemingly put him as ease. A 4th medication was discontinued because it was likely causing GI bleeding. We could not detect any signs of significant pain or distress with the other 3 medicines. I don't know much about pain thresholds, but my wife has good instincts.

Fredo died Tuesday with us by his side. I knew he was fading and woke my wife, who was dozing on the couch. He took his last breath at 1:15am.

I hope this helps anyone who goes through the agony of making a decision about "letting go" of a pet. We had to sort of prompt the vet to increase the medication, since doctors often seem to be on the conservative side (I was really glad to have some old stash in the freezer to tide us over). One of the vets did not have much experience with one of the medications, but it worked out okay. I'd be glad to discuss the medications in this thread or a PM if anyone is going through this. It's not really that expensive and I think the extra care is worth it. Don't know if we will ever get another dog, but I'd like to hear others' experience with this.

Here's his pic from about two years ago.

Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 01-17-2018 at 12:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Woof.

Good boy.

Maybe not all dogs go to heaven but more of them do than humans.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

What a handsome face.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

What’s that golden retriever mixed with? Some sort of collie?
    No - No - No - No

You obviously took good care of him. Twenty two years for a doggo is respectable by any means. Sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So sorry! What a pretty, pretty boy he was.

22 years out of a canine is pretty amazing and speaks for itself as to his quality of life.

A very good life.

I would definitely get another dog.

I always hate to see them go. But seeing a friend suffer is worse.

Don't go looking for another.. none will replace. But don't be afraid to be adopted again.

I never went looking for my animals,, they attach to me.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

RIP Fredo.

He's a handsome dog. Sorry you lost him.

A dog living to 22. That's something.

RIP

What a beautiful boy. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    It's really hard to deal with, I know. They become such a part of our lives, I mean they are there through every little thing we do. So many routines through the day. Looks like Fredo had one happy life with people who loved him immensely. I understand what you're going through. Been there several times. Give yourself time to grieve. Slowly, all of your happy memories will make the sadness fade. It just takes time.
    One last thing. Pay attention to your dreams. They have a way of coming back and visiting us in dreams. You'll know it when it happens.

RIP Fredo.

Aw man sorry.

FYI for any other dog lovers out there, we've been making kefir for ourselves and have been giving the leftovers to two large dogs.

Long story short, 13 year old dogs look and act like they've gone back in time 5-6 years.

They've always been well cared for but its been nothing short of amazing.

Even their teeth, we used to have to get yearly plaque treatments but the teeth have since turned puppy white.....

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    What’s that golden retriever mixed with? Some sort of collie?

Not really sure. We just called him exactly what you said, which is golden retriever mix. Not sure if he had some collie in him.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Had to put down my MIL's dog last weekend -- debilitative muscle thing where he could no longer stand/walk. I told her that she had to let us bury him (even if it is illegal) rather than letting the vet dispose of him. I told her, my boy thinks of the dog as his dog as well and burying your pet is something that every child should have to do as it helps you mature.

So my son, helped bury his first pet. He was a good dog.
    He asked why everything has to die and I told him, "because worms gotta eat too"
    He thought about it and asked, "am I going to die someday and get eaten by worms?"
    me, "yep, but hopefully not for along time."
    him, "cool"

The whole process of putting animal down and it just disappearing is just too sterile nowadays, and in my opinion: ultimately unhealthy. Taking the time and energy to dig a hole while talking about your loved one, then ultimately filling it back in gives closure.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 01-24-2018 at 12:10 PM.

Thank you to everyone for all the well wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Had to put down my MIL's dog last weekend -- debilitative muscle thing where he could no longer stand/walk. I told her that she had to let us bury him (even if it is illegal) rather than letting the vet dispose of him. I told her, my boy thinks of the dog as his dog as well and burying your pet is something that every child should have to do as it helps you mature.

So my son, helped bury his first pet. He was a good dog.
    He asked why everything has to die and I told him, "because worms gotta eat too"
    He thought about it and asked, "am I going to die someday and get eaten by worms?"
    me, "yep, but hopefully not for along time."
    him, "cool"

The whole process of putting animal down and it just disappearing is just too sterile nowadays, and in my opinion: ultimately unhealthy. Taking the time and energy to dig a hole while talking about your loved one, then ultimately filling it back in gives closure.
    If you don't bury them yourself you aren't showing them the respect they deserve, it would be like not having a funeral for a human family member.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Hmm, for some reason the post I lest has disappeared... anyway, you should be proud to have shared 20 quality years together.

What were the meds that you used?... got a cat that's getting up in years.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

He's beautiful. This is late, but I am sorry for your loss.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Aww RIP Fredo. It hurts to loose a pet they are innocent from the time they come to us til the time they leave us. Always loving us and being our BFF.

Every time I have lost a pet I say no I am not getting another one. I end up getting another one anyway. I love to recuse dogs from kill shelters they know they are being saved and are just so happy.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Here's his pic from about two years ago.

Wow...he literally still looks like a puppy--not a 20 year old dog. You sound like an incredible dog owner. So sorry for your loss.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

RIP..sorry for your loss

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    Hmm, for some reason the post I lest has disappeared... anyway, you should be proud to have shared 20 quality years together.

What were the meds that you used?... got a cat that's getting up in years.

We used the medication just for pain. Gabapentin was 300mg every 8 hours. They initially gave us 50mg every 24 hours! And, that was splitting one capsule in half!!

They gave us Tramadol, 50mg every 8 hours. They suggested increasing to 75mg, but we just made it 100mg. It was too hard to split the pill. Plus, the dog needed it anyway.

We stopped the Miloxidyl because it was probably causing the GI bleeding.

None of these were really totally effective, so we called to get something stronger. The Amantadine we were prescribed really helped. They initially said to give 25mg every 24 hours, but then we were able to increase it to 50mg every 12 hours. The were sort of reluctant to give the Amantadine, but one of the vets studied at Oregon State University. I don't know if their philosophy is different in Oregon (it seems to be), but the LSU vet (Louisiana State U) might have been more reluctant.

There is also a national hospice for pets run by vets, but fortunately, we never had to contact them.

It was really funny because Fredo's medication was due at 1:15am, the exact time he died. Now we have extra medication, which I've stashed in the freezer. We're saving that for a rainy day, just like the extra Vicodin and Percocet that came in handy for Fredo before we could push the vets into stronger medicine. I always say keep that extra medicine for a rainy day. Never know when you might need it.
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 02-02-2018 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Aww RIP Fredo. It hurts to loose a pet they are innocent from the time they come to us til the time they leave us. Always loving us and being our BFF.

Every time I have lost a pet I say no I am not getting another one. I end up getting another one anyway. I love to recuse dogs from kill shelters they know they are being saved and are just so happy.

Thanks for your thoughts (forgot to say that in the rep). Yep; me and people I know always say they'd never get another, but always do. All my dogs since we were kids were strays. We say we are not keeping them, but that never lasts. First, we start feeding them. Then, we stick a box by the garage. Next, we move the box into the garage. Fairly soon, the dog (or cat sometimes) gets promoted to the basement. After that, it's all over. They come upstairs in short order.

#NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

We had our cat of 15 years put down this past December - the vet actually came to the house and did the procedure. She had terminal kidney cancer and was having a very tough time - it wasn't much easier on us at home, but it was definitely a lot easier on her. Sorry you lost your pet, but it sounds like you guys had a good run together.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    We had our cat of 15 years put down this past December - the vet actually came to the house and did the procedure. She had terminal kidney cancer and was having a very tough time - it wasn't much easier on us at home, but it was definitely a lot easier on her. Sorry you lost your pet, but it sounds like you guys had a good run together.
    They really say that? How moronic!

Okay, I'll try to brag more on my dog. Pics and such can be boring, but I never post much personal stuff anyway. And, I'm trying to collect some good memory stuff anyway.

He's on the front porch here. He used to sit on the back porch, looking out at the view. Sometimes I'd sit there too, just looking out. I need to get away from this computer and do that more this summer. Sort of got away from enjoying more outdoors the past year or two.

Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 02-02-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast