Thread: "Shutdown is the new 's-word' ", gov shutdown looms as deadline is only 4 days away

"Shutdown is the new 's-word' ", gov shutdown looms as deadline is only 4 days away

Seems that use of words like s-word and i-word have gone almost mainstream in US political culture of late.

The Note: Shutdown is the new 's-word' as blame game begins

Jan 16, 2018, 6:17 AM ET

This week’s “s-word” is shutdown.
    The details of the expletive that still appears very likely to have been spoken by President Donald Trump don’t matter in the bigger picture. Neither do the declarations – “I’m not a racist” – or making fun of a senator’s first name.

For now, the blame game beats out the name game. Trump and his Republican allies would have the public believe that Democrats concocted a story that had the president insulting immigrants based on race; that Democrats don’t want to take care of Dreamers who could be facing deportation in mere weeks; and that they are rooting for a weaker U.S. military.
    Deflections and accusations can take the president only so far this week. The president and his negotiating partners will be judged on results in the coming days – and shutdowns stink like other words that start with “s.”

While a shutdown would reflect badly on every Washington leader politically, it would likely be much worse for congressional Republicans who control both chambers — and terrible for the White House.
    Democrats know this.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/note-...ry?id=52368886

January 16, 2018 / 1:52 PM / Updated an hour ago
    U.S. government shutdown looms amid harsh immigration exchange

Reuters Staff
    5 Min Read

(Note language that may offend some readers)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Partisan finger-pointing over immigration policy on Tuesday left the U.S. Congress and the White House stumbling closer to a possible federal government shutdown by the end of the week, although Wall Street held out hopes for a deal to prevent that.
    Republicans who control Congress are expected to try to push another stopgap funding bill and get it to President Donald Trump’s desk before Friday’s midnight deadline.
    But there are perils. Conservatives want a large increase in defense spending that such a bill would not provide. Many Democrats might withhold their support unless immigration policy is addressed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1F52FE

Related

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    H-1B Visas Would Not Be Extended Under Trump's Latest Proposal, Reports Say

Rupert Murdoch 'called Donald Trump a f****** idiot', claims new book
    The Independent Jan 3, 2018
    Mr Murdoch allegedly suggested that it might be difficult to reconcile the administration’s stance on building a roughly 2,000-mile long wall along the US-Mexico border with a favourable, more open stance towards H1B-based immigration.
    “But Trump seemed unconcerned, assuring Murdoch, ‘We’ll figure it out.’ ‘What a $#@!ing idiot,’ said Murdoch, shrugging, as he got off the phone,” wrote Mr Wolff in the book.

Perhaps his recent apparent reversals and his humiliation of GOP base darling Steve Bannon is starting to have some impact on the base. Author of "In Trump We Trust" is turning on him:

Trump’s immigration meeting was lowest day of presidency: Ann Coulter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHzUOLOC5eQ

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...ata-shows.html

Trump Appears to Endorse Path to Citizenship for Millions of Immigrants
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/09/u...migration.html
    2 days ago - WASHINGTON — President Trump on Tuesday appeared open to negotiating a sweeping immigration deal that would eventually grant millions of undocumented immigrants a pathway to citizenship, declaring that he was willing to “take the heat” politically for an approach that seemed to flatly contradict the ...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Time for a shutdown.

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Govt shutdown is a joke. Its a paid vacation for federal workers, except those with life and death important jobs (eg. Air Traffic Control). Unless a person wants to visit a national park it will not effect 90% of the population. I hope congress gets serious and do not approve back pay, then at least the govt would not be not spending as much during a shutdown.
    USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

SHUTDOWN FEAR GRIPS DC

Rupert Murdoch 'called Donald Trump a f****** idiot', claims new book
    The Independent Jan 3, 2018
    Mr Murdoch allegedly suggested that it might be difficult to reconcile the administration’s stance on building a roughly 2,000-mile long wall along the US-Mexico border with a favourable, more open stance towards H1B-based immigration.
    “But Trump seemed unconcerned, assuring Murdoch, ‘We’ll figure it out.’ ‘What a $#@!ing idiot,’ said Murdoch, shrugging, as he got off the phone,” wrote Mr Wolff in the book.
    This seems like just coincidence.

Breaking News
    Sources: Murdoch Hospitalized with Serious Back Injury
    The accident, which happened on his son Lachlan’s yacht, comes at a delicate time for the 86-year-old’s empire.
    January 17, 2018 3:05 pm
    https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018...us-back-injury

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    May they have BSOD.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    May they have BSOD.
    And memory errors in bios, so they never reboot.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

HIGH-STAKES BLAME GAME...

PRESIDENT THROWS A WRENCH?

From Drudge:

Trump Upsets Republican Strategy to Avoid Shutdown

By THOMAS KAPLAN JAN. 18, 2018

Speaker Paul D. Ryan of Wisconsin and Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the majority leader, have been pressuring Democrats to support for the stopgap spending bill by attaching funding for the Children’s Health Insurance Program. Credit Doug Mills/The New York Times WASHINGTON — President Trump blew up Republican strategies to keep the government open past Friday when on Thursday morning he said a long-term extension of the popular Children’s Health Insurance Program should not be part of a stopgap spending bill pending before the House.

CHIP should be part of a long term solution, not a 30 Day, or short term, extension!
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) Jan. 18, 2018

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/18/u...-shutdown.html

Shutdown... merely a brief pause in the ongoing damage to this country. Shut the f**k down already.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

As debate on the continuing resolution begins, RollCall reported that Freedom Caucus leader Mark Meadows says he's still opposed to the bill. Furthermore, he implied that President Donald Trump is backing his move against the leadership...
    Meadows, emerging from a @freedomcaucus meeting during which he spoke with President Donald Trump by phone, said he's still opposed to the CR and suggested Trump is backing whatever he's plotting.

"There's no distance between our positions," he said.
    — Lindsey McPherson (@lindsemcpherson) January 18, 2018
    Assuming this isn't bluster, this would represent a remarkable deterioration in Trump's relationship with Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell...

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-govt-shutdown

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

With Trump demanding that the House "must pass the spending bill tonight", Bloomberg reports that Meadows says he and the majority of his caucus have changed their minds and will now vote with the rest of their party, likely giving the one-month spending extension the juice it needs to clear the lower chamber. However, the measure must still pass the Senate before landing on the president's desk, and as we pointed out below, the likelihood of this happening before the present continuing resolution expires on Saturday.
    To be sure, Meadows has already flip-flopped several times this week. With the vote set to take place in 20 minutes, it's important to remember that, during the Trump era, nothing is done until it is done...
    As a reminder, Republicans need 218 votes to pass the bill.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

After a day of frenzied negotiations, the House managed to pass the stopgap funding bill thanks to the cooperation of the Freedom Caucus, which threw their support behind the legislation at the last minute... The vote was 230-197...
    #BREAKING: HOUSE PASSES STOPGAP BUDGET CR ON PARTY-LINE VOTE, 230-197.

It now heads to the Senate — 60 votes needed to avert a #GOPshutdown at 11:59 PM EST tomorrow.

Many Democrats and some Republicans are vowing to oppose the bill, as Trump and the GOP hold DREAMers hostage.
    — Cyrus Toulabi (@CyrusToulabi) January 19, 2018
    The Senate, meanwhile, could begin procedural votes as soon as tonight...

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Dianne Feinstein flips her position on shutdown for second time in one day: 'People will die'

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/di...rticle/2646377

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., cautioned Thursday that “people die, accidents happen” when the government shuts down, as it is poised to partially shut down Friday night if Congress doesn’t pass a government spending bill. It was her second shift in position on the bill in just one day.

“Shutting down the government is a very serious thing. People die, accidents happen,” Feinstein told CNN. “You don’t know. Necessary functions can cease. There is no specific list you can look at and make a judgment: ‘Well everything is going to be just fine.’ You can’t make that judgment. So, I think it’s a last resort. And I’m really hopeful we don’t get to it.”

Feinstein told CNN she hadn’t yet decided whether she will vote for the short-term spending bill unveiled by congressional Republicans earlier this week. The stopgap measure funds the government until Feb. 16 and reauthorizes the Children’s Health Insurance Program for six years.

“I don’t know how I would vote right now on a CR, OK?” the California Democrat said.

House GOP members have approached Speaker Paul Ryan about incorporating a vote to make public an explosive new FISA abuse memo as part of government shutdown negotiations.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...shutdown-talks

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They have gotten my hopes up too many times.

not gonna believe it the the damn thing shuts down.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Next update on s-word drama at 10PM today.

Senate Sets a Vote for 10 p.m.; Trump and Schumer End Private Talks With ‘Progress,’ but No Deal

By THE NEW YORK TIMESJAN. 19, 2018

• The Senate has scheduled a vote for 10 p.m. on moving forward with a short-term spending bill that would avert a government shutdown.
    • Senate Democrats, who appear ready to block approval of the bill the House passed on Thursday, are planning to meet at 8:30 p.m. to discuss their options.
    • Earlier in the afternoon, Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, the Democratic leader, came away from a meeting with President Trump without a deal, but said some progress had been made.
    • The government will shut down at 12:01 a.m. Saturday if lawmakers fail to reach an agreement.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/19/u...-shutdown.html

Ministries of branding and messaging still working excellently though.

22 hours ago
    Breitbart
    Democrats Vote Against CHIP Funding Ahead of 'Schumer Shutdown'

Only question is if this shutdown did happen and fix the mess, who will get the credit.. Trump or Schumer?

Cloture vote failing. Looks like a shutdown it is. Things are about to get interesting. Watch what Congress does in the meantime during their "emergency sessions". They'll surely be sliding stuff through under the radar that history will appreciate being noticed and recorded.

Another fun game is called "Watch Which Websites Go Offline And Who Stops Posting During The Shutdown".
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

They ran the deadline.

#TrumpShutdown becomes top trending hashtag worldwide

By Brandon Carter - 01/19/18 11:44 PM EST

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...htag-worldwide

Some of the tweets may have crossed the line:

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Another fun game is called "Watch Which Websites Go Offline And Who Stops Posting During The Shutdown".
    I will be interested to see about a number of people on this forum.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Senate reconvenes at noon Saturday 1/20. Mitch says to "expect votes".

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Trump should veto anything they pass, there is 0 possibility that it will be anything good unless this shutdown lasts for quite some time.
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 01-20-2018 at 02:44 AM.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump should veto anything they pass, there is 0 possibility that it will be anything good unless this shut down lasts for quite some time.
    If he does veto (which he won't), it'll be over DACA or the wall or some similar nonsense, not spending.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    In other words, more drama.
    I am having trouble believing this is anything else.
    Last edited by timosman; 01-20-2018 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    In other words, more drama.
    Looks like you were right. Every congresscritter took floor time to blame someone other than themself. The only votes were minor procedural votes that didn't appear to even be necessary. Do you really need to vote to maybe have a later vote?

Keep watching Congress during this shutdown (yes I know, how terribly tiresome) as these are the types of circumstances that they historically, and often in violation of their own rules and laws, slip through major law changes when few are watching at odd hours with less than a quorum (see: Federal Reserve Act, 1930 bankruptcy of US Inc corporation that led to fiat FRN, Obamacare, etc.) Any student of real history should appreciate the seriousness of this period and the need to ensure it is documented.

Yea the Congressional drama is sort of predictable and Bob Corker is again seeing "glimmer of hope" just as he did on Fri... so this may not mean much at all.

Senate group scrambles for deal to end shutdown

By Jordain Carney - 01/21/18 04:23 PM EST

A bipartisan group of roughly 20 senators are working toward an agreement to reopen the government.

Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.) said the group had reached a "consensus of understanding," not an agreement, noting those are two different things.

Multiple senators who were part of the talks stressed that their talks are fluid, and that the final decision rests with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), who have been kept up to date on the talks.

But leaving a meeting held in Sen. Susan Collins's (R-Maine) office, some members expressed optimism that they will reach an understanding, if not a final agreement, that would allow them to approve a bill to reopen the government.
    "I don't know if you're going to see a final deal but you might see a comfort level that would enable us to move forward," said Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.).

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) predicted that senators could get a deal before a scheduled 1 a.m. procedural vote in the Senate.

"Yeah, because if it doesn't happen tonight, it's going to be a lot harder," he said.

The push to end the shutdown comes on the eve of the first weekday in which the full effects of the government closure will start to be felt. Government workers deemed "nonessential" could be kept home without pay, though critical government and military functions would continue.

"This shutdown is going to get a lot worse tomorrow. A lot worse," McConnell said earlier Sunday, ramping up the pressure on Democrats.

"Today would be a good day to end it. All we have to do is pass the commonsense legislation the Senate is currently considering. Ending a government shutdown and ensuring health care continues for vulnerable children — there is nothing in this measure that my Democratic friends cannot support."

Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) said that there is a "glimmer of hope" that the Senate could wrap up its work this evening rather than in the middle of the night.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...al-on-shutdown

Duckworth slams Trump: I won't be lectured on military needs by a 'five-deferment draft dodger

Related

The federal government remained shut down, but Daniels was open for business.

January 21 at 10:53 AM
    GREENVILLE, S.C. — Year two of the Trump presidency began here overnight much like year one had ended: with his alleged ex-mistress smashing people’s faces into her bare chest at a strip club between an airport and a cemetery.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...d87_story.html