Thread: New California Declares Independence From Rest Of State

Exclamation New California Declares Independence From Rest Of State

New California Declares Independence From Rest Of State

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/...rest-of-state/

January 15, 2018 at 6:23 pm

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — With the reading of their own version of a Declaration of Independence, founders of the state of New California took the first steps to what they hope will eventually lead to statehood.

To be clear, they don’t want to leave the United States, just California.

“Well, it’s been ungovernable for a long time. High taxes, education, you name it, and we’re rated around 48th or 50th from a business climate and standpoint in California,” said founder Robert Paul Preston.

The state of New California would incorporate most of the state’s rural counties, leaving the urban coastal counties to the current state of California.

“There’s something wrong when you have a rural county such as this one, and you go down to Orange County which is mostly urban, and it has the same set of problems, and it happens because of how the state is being governed and taxed,” Preston said.

But unlike other separation movements in the past, the state of New California wants to do things by the book, citing Article 4, Section 3 of the US Constitution and working with the state legislature to get it done, similar to the way West Virginia was formed.

“Yes. We have to demonstrate that we can govern ourselves before we are allowed to govern,” said founder Tom Reed.

And despite obstacles, doubters, and obvious long odds the group stands united in their statehood dream.

The group is organized with committees and a council of county representatives, but say it will take 10 to 18 months before they are ready to fully engage with the state legislature.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    According to the Constitution:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/articleiv

Section 3.

New states may be admitted by the Congress into this union; but no new states shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other state; nor any state be formed by the junction of two or more states, or parts of states, without the consent of the legislatures of the states concerned as well as of the Congress.

The Congress shall have power to dispose of and make all needful rules and regulations respecting the territory or other property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to prejudice any claims of the United States, or of any particular state.
    Both the state and Congress would have to approve the move. Countless parts of states have had people who wanted to form their own state. There is also the potential impact on the balance of control in the House and Senate if a new state was to be formed. One party is not going to agree to a new state which may give an advantage to the other party.

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/...ay-take-awhile

And in fact, two states have been formed since 1789 by a legally approved secession process from an existing state. In 1820, Maine was created as a state independent of Massachusetts, as part of the Missouri compromise.

In 1863 West Virginia became a state during the Civil War under unusual circumstances, after a Union-approved government was named for Virginia, from which West Virginia then seceded. (Tennessee also joined the Union in 1796 as a former part of North Carolina, but it was considered a government territory for an interim period.)

The constitutional barrier for splitting a state, based on those facts, seems steeper than even creating new amendments. If you are keeping score at home, there have been 17 amendments passed since 1789, and two states directly formed from other states.

The most-significant barrier is political as well as constitutional. As we’ve documented before in the cases of Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia possibly seeking statehood, the addition of one new state to the Union creates two new Senators and at least some new Representatives in the House.

With the balance of power so close in Congress, a compromise would need to be reached to admit an equal number of Democrats and Republicans as new members.

I hope this idea spreads like wildfire!

$#@! the cities....

If have no problem with independence movements as long as they have an alliance with the US and surrounding states on immigration.

As long is they do not want to open up the immigration flood gates then let them go. The rest of the US cannot allow a sovereign area that decides to let in 1 billion people that would eventually destabilize and pose a threat for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    If have no problem with independence movements as long as they have an alliance with the US and surrounding states on immigration.

As long is they do not want to open up the immigration flood gates then let them go. The rest of the US cannot allow a sovereign area that decides to let in 1 billion people that would eventually destabilize and pose a threat for the rest of us.
    More than 90% of the wrongheadedness is coming from cities so there's less than a 10% chance of any rural area making things on the immigration front worse......Even in the land of fruits-n-nuts....

I had flags with 49 stars ( California removed ) but I sold them all out .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Which star is California?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    The one gone from oyarde's flags.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    STATE OF JEFFERSON NOW

The one I took off , #31 . California at one time was just the name of Baja .

Now they just need to combine this with CALExit for "Old California" and everything will be perfect.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    If we keep "New California" we will still need 50 stars, at least until we can get other Demoncrat hellholes to secede.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    If we keep "New California" we will still need 50 stars, at least until we can get other Demoncrat hellholes to secede.
    Ya , CalExit just seems easier , but if we keep " Lesser Evil California " and get rid of " Pox California " I can live with it. The CalExit fence probably easier to build though ( larger and more expensive but less congested areas )
    Last edited by oyarde; 01-16-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Not my Governor.
    Last edited by RonZeplin; 01-16-2018 at 03:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

According to the Constitution:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/articleiv

Both the state and Congress would have to approve the move. Countless parts of states have had people who wanted to form their own state. There is also the potential impact on the balance of control in the House and Senate if a new state was to be formed. One party is not going to agree to a new state which may give an advantage to the other party.

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/...ay-take-awhile
    Wet blanket, right on time.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Wet blanket, right on time.
    There is still hope though, we can demand they approve the division in return for secession.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Independence from Cali then independence from USG is the only way.

I would support Zippy for the new Commissar of Mexifornia.

Too bad for him that he would eventually be raped to death in a coup from his own progressives.

I think the democrats would not go for it because of the Senators likely being Republican. The only way this could work is if the democrats get more senators or at least an equal amount for the new likely republican state. New California would get two Republican Senators. If Puerto Rico became a state at the same time then it would be even or Make Cali into 3 states making the Bay area their own city-state.

The other possible way would be CalExit gets a good jumpstart if T Rump wins again in 2020. Then New California state could split from the new country of SanLala Land, leaving still 50 states. It would be a win win.
    Last edited by seapilot; 01-16-2018 at 05:12 PM.
    USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    More than 90% of the wrongheadedness is coming from cities so there's less than a 10% chance of any rural area making things on the immigration front worse......Even in the land of fruits-n-nuts....
    I agree. The concern on immigration front would be the cities in the original CA state. Jerry Brown is an open borders guy with a screw lose. I could easily see him claiming we should celebrate increasing the population 1 billion through immigration.

I do not see a downside here, since they would still be states. Immigration is one of the few roles I would expect the federal government manage.