Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flu season VERY volatile this year

Flu season VERY volatile this year

Posting this as somewhat of a "FYI" for all my liberty cousins here.

If you're not aware, the flu season this year has been a very bad one. So everyone should be very mindful of steps to avoid exposure as best they can. This isn't about trying to start a debate between pro-flu shot people and anti-flu shot people.

If you don't believe in the flu shot being effective, be sure you're pumping your immune system. Things like vitamin C, turmeric, and even coffee (yes, coffee is good for your immune system as well as giving you water) are good.

If you believe in the flu shot being effective, understand that there was a strain not predicted that is causing the damage this year. I forget the stain they are seeing offhand (H?N?), but it is one seen every few years and is particularly nasty. It's caused quite a few deaths already across the nation. This means that the flu vaccine given this season is only about 10% effective in preventing infection for this strain. However, it will help alleviate the severity and duration of symptoms if infected.

Regardless of views, everyone please practice good sanitary habits. Stay hydrated, keep your hands clean, and avoid touching your face while out and about. Several states have declared one form of emergency or another due to this flu outbreak and MANY hospitals have activated diversion protocols (patients needing to be admitted are diverted to other hospitals due to lack of beds).

Take care of yourselves and your family.
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Source?
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

keep your hands clean, and avoid touching your face while out and about
    And bring your own hand sanitizer to the restroom.

Even better to carry it with you all day, really.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Source?
    This is from Alabama where I live:

http://www.wtsp.com/entertainment/te...reak/507325313

Here is an article talking about California:

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/09/health...-bn/index.html

Article discussing nation:

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/12/health...cdc/index.html

Tube talking about it:

It's bad.

Without going into 'research' mode...
    I can totally agree something's 'bad' this year... nvr seen anything like it.
    I don't know if it classifies as 'flu'... but
    Too many personal/phone call anecdotes to go into.. but we are seeing primarily a respiratory type virus. (Phoenix)
    You end up w/ a 'night cough' that will not let you sleep and lasts for 3 weeks at least.
    It has/can 'morph' into pneumonia, hospitalization and has killed some here.
    Nasty.... and it's not like 'once you get it you're immune'... nope.. it can come back at ya
    even when you've been 'symptom free' for weeks.
    Like I said.. never seen anything like this stuff.
    If you see someone coughing RUN!!!!!!! (unless it's your wife.)

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    Too many personal/phone call anecdotes to go into.. but we are seeing primarily a respiratory type virus. (Phoenix)
    You end up w/ a 'night cough' that will not let you sleep and lasts for 3 weeks at least.
    Nasty.... and it's not like 'once you get it you're immune'... nope.. it can come back at ya

I think that that affects mostly those that live in $#@!holes.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I think that that affects mostly those that live in $#@!holes.
    hahaha.. you've obviously been spending much time in the shiithole thread I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Intoxiklown View Post
    ..... everyone please practice good sanitary habits. Stay hydrated, keep your hands clean, and avoid touching your face while out and about.
    If the majority of people would do this along with staying home when they are sick, we wouldn't need the damn flu shots.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post

I was unaware of other viruses making heavy rounds....but it makes sense it would (people might get over the flu and while their immune system is still beat up from fighting the flu another respiratory virus comes knocking).

I know what's making things worse in my area is our climate. We live in Alabama, but are only barely 80 miles from Panama City, FL....so our weather is pretty much warm year around. This recent cold front that we all saw across the SE United States had people here running their home heat for the first time in several years, and there is no telling what all kinds of dirt, mold, bacteria, ect had built up in those vents over the years that got dumped into people's houses.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    If the majority of people would do this along with staying home when they are sick, we wouldn't need the damn flu shots.
    LOL...true.

The problem with the flu is the duration people can spread it before they know they have it. Going off memory, I think it's close to 10 days someone is actively contagious before symptoms. That, and that the flu is droplet combined with a contagious person actively contaminating an area roughly 6 feet around them.

Yeah from what I understand a lot of people are getting this creepy crud and when they go to the doctor they write a prescription for antibiotics. If this thing is viral you're wasting your time, money and immune system.

Drink as many cups of Rosehip tea, Hibiscus and Elderberries (individually or all together). They are loaded with massive amounts of Vitamin C.

Thyme (Thymus vulgaris) infusion with honey is great because it is an expectorant.

Ingredients

1 cup water
    2-3 teaspoons organic fresh or dried thyme
    organic lemon
    raw honey

Instructions

Heat your kettle to a boil and add water and thyme in a mug.
    Cover so volatile oils don’t escape. Steep for 10 to 15 minutes.
    Add fresh squeezed lemon and raw honey to taste. Enjoy better health!
    With so many natural options out there, you owe it to yourself to at least give this thyme tea recipe a try. Whether it’s in your spice cabinet or waiting outside like a treasure on a frosty fall morning, put some aside for this cold and flu season.
    https://www.diynatural.com/thyme-tea...-decongestion/

Oregano oil is great to rub on chest.

Get some good Vitamin D3 in your system. Double the amount of the RDA.
    Raw unfiltered Local Honey
    Garlic--eat lots of it. You can make a cough syrup with 5 cloves of garlic (minced) and 1/4 cup of honey (at room temperature) Allow it to sit overnight, and use the next day, it works great.

Bone Broth is excellent to help keep you nourished and hydrated.

Get yourself a humidifier or diffuser and put some essential oils in it to keep your air clean.

There are five different essential oils in Thieves. They are listed below along with a brief description of each oil.

Clove Essential Oil (Syzygium aromaticum) promotes a healthy immune response, and may support overall wellness.* An important ingredient in Young Living's Thieves blend, its principal constituent is eugenol.

Lemon Essential Oil (Citrus limon) Lemon consists of 68 percent d-limonene, a powerful antioxidant; and may be beneficial for the skin. It has cleansing and purifying properties. Jean Valnet MD estimated that it takes 3,000 lemons to produce one kilo of oil!

Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil (Cinnamomum verum) The essential oil promotes a healthy immune response, and helps maintain a healthy lifestyle regimen.*

Eucalyptus Essential Oil (Eucalyptus radiata) may support a healthy respiratory system*; and to soothe muscle discomfort after exercise.

Rosemary Essential Oil (Rosmarinus officinalis CT cineol) was one of the most broadly used plants throughout the ages. Supports a healthy lifestyle regimen and overall well-being*. Rosemary includes the naturally occurring constituents eucalyptol and alpha-pinene.
    http://www.experience-essential-oils...ntial-oil.html

Be Well.
    Last edited by donnay; 01-12-2018 at 06:55 PM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Elderberries?

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Every year the "news" warns of potentially the worst flu season, followed by warnings of vaccine shortages, and then followed by a Walgreens advertisement for flu vaccines. Basically they get three advertisements for the price of one. Not a bad racket.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Every year the "news" warns of potentially the worst flu season, followed by warnings of vaccine shortages, and then followed by a Walgreens advertisement for flu vaccines. Basically they get three advertisements for the price of one. Not a bad racket.
    Great points and they do this every year. IMHO, these are the real drug pushers and dealers.

I have talked to some people down south though, and it is very curious that they were given antibiotics for flu. SMH
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I will prepare by eating dried fruit and an extra shot of bourbon .

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I'm hip that a lot of times the warning whistle gets blown about something that might happen and it never does, but this isn't a warning. It's actively going on. Speaking to the flu shot itself, it really isn't much of a money maker. You can get them for free at a lot of locations (I know CVS s a big box store that offers free flu vaccinations offhand). Flu shots are pushed to the public not for money but concern for Tamiflu stocks at any given time (I'll tell you the ironic thing about that in a sec), as the less people who catch the flu....the less prescriptions for Tamiflu is written.

Now, the "perfect world" scenario about that would be concern for flu viruses mutating to become immune to Tamiflu as their motivation for pushing the flu shots. And to be fair, many people in the medical field have that mindset when they try to get their patients to get the flu shot. And to be sure, the flu virus (viruses....there are over 100 known strains) is becoming more and more immune to our antivirals. Side note....there is a shortage of Tamiflu right now...with a LOT of pharmacies out of stock.

The ironic thing about Tamiflu stocks? The United States government, as do many governments, have standing priority for x amount of Tamiflu manufactured. See, while Tamiflu can be taken after infection to reduce severity and duration of infection...it can also be taken as a preventative medication (a MUCH larger dose. Like two Tamiflu for six weeks (some MDs recommend ten weeks) to insure someone doesn't contract a flu virus. The government buys and stocks these preventative doses as part of COG. It's why I always tell people if someone in their family comes down with the flu, to ask their provider to write Tamiflu for the entire household telling them it's just in case to be ready. 99.9% of any medical providers will write them if asked like that. And unless someone else gets sick in the house, to store them. Because they can be better than gold in a major flu epidemic, both as life saving tools as well as barter currency.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Great points and they do this every year. IMHO, these are the real drug pushers and dealers.

I have talked to some people down south though, and it is very curious that they were given antibiotics for flu. SMH
    That is curious, Donnay. Did they swab them to confirm flu A or B? I hope you told them to go find a new doctor and never see that quack again.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    A lot of people try to prove their dedication to the employer and show up to work sick instead of spending their time at home. Half the office is sick as a result.

I'm hip that a lot of times the warning whistle gets blown about something that might happen and it never does, but this isn't a warning. It's actively going on. Speaking to the flu shot itself, it really isn't much of a money maker. You can get them for free at a lot of locations (I know CVS s a big box store that offers free flu vaccinations offhand). Flu shots are pushed to the public not for money but concern for Tamiflu stocks at any given time (I'll tell you the ironic thing about that in a sec), as the less people who catch the flu....the less prescriptions for Tamiflu is written.

Now, the "perfect world" scenario about that would be concern for flu viruses mutating to become immune to Tamiflu as their motivation for pushing the flu shots. And to be fair, many people in the medical field have that mindset when they try to get their patients to get the flu shot. And to be sure, the flu virus (viruses....there are over 100 known strains) is becoming more and more immune to our antivirals. Side note....there is a shortage of Tamiflu right now...with a LOT of pharmacies out of stock.

The ironic thing about Tamiflu stocks? The United States government, as do many governments, have standing priority for x amount of Tamiflu manufactured. See, while Tamiflu can be taken after infection to reduce severity and duration of infection...it can also be taken as a preventative medication (a MUCH larger dose. Like two Tamiflu for six weeks (some MDs recommend ten weeks) to insure someone doesn't contract a flu virus. The government buys and stocks these preventative doses as part of COG. It's why I always tell people if someone in their family comes down with the flu, to ask their provider to write Tamiflu for the entire household telling them it's just in case to be ready. 99.9% of any medical providers will write them if asked like that. And unless someone else gets sick in the house, to store them. Because they can be better than gold in a major flu epidemic, both as life saving tools as well as barter currency.
    Here are some Flashbacks to try to put things into perspective:

Big Pharma & Big Government. A Love Story About Flu, Fraud, and Corruption
    https://realfarmacy.com/big-pharma-f...on-love-story/

Tamiflu: Millions wasted on flu drug, claims major report
    http://www.bbc.com/news/health-26954482

Randomized study of the efficacy and safety of oral elderberry extract in the treatment of influenza A and B virus infections
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15080016

Antiviral activity of the "Virus Blocking Factor" (VBF) derived i.a. from Pelargonium extract and Sambucus juice against different human-pathogenic cold viruses in vitro.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27717933

Benefits of Elderberry for Symptoms of Common Cold in Air Travelers
    https://www.naturalmedicinejournal.c...-air-travelers

The effect of Sambucol, a black elderberry-based, natural product, on the production of human cytokines: I. Inflammatory cytokines.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11399518

The effect of herbal remedies on the production of human inflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokines.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12455180

Natural Treatments for Cold and Flu
    https://www.drdavidwilliams.com/natu...flu-treatments

That is curious, Donnay. Did they swab them to confirm flu A or B? I hope you told them to go find a new doctor and never see that quack again.
    That's just it, when I asked them if they had any lab work done they said no.

My daughter has a friend who was diagnosed with pneumonia a few months back. He called me up to ask if I knew of any herbal remedies for pneumonia because he did not want to take the antibiotics they prescribed for him. I asked him if he had any lab work done, he said no, they just took a chest X-ray and said he had pneumonia wrote him a prescription and off he went. So at that point he had no idea whether his pneumonia was bacterial or viral. He told me, he never thought to ask them. This is a disturbing trend.
    Last edited by donnay; 01-13-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Girl, 6, Suffers Frightening Side Effects After Taking Tamiflu

ALLEN, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – A North Texas family says their daughter’s side effects from the popular drug Tamiflu were beyond what they ever could have imagined – and left them saying never again.

Like so many others, the 6-year-old’s flu diagnosis that came with a choice: whether or not to take Tamiflu to speed up the course of the dreaded illness.

The family from Allen, who wants to remain anonymous, says the side effects were stunning: hallucinations, running away from school and an attempt, they believe, to hurt herself.

“The second story window was open, which is in her bedroom, and she used her desk to climb up onto it, and she was about to jump out the window when my wife came up and grabbed her,” her father said.

They took her to the hospital, where a doctor informed them that nervous system problems – including psychosis – can be a very rare side effect of Tamiflu. Emergency room physician Dr. Glenn Hardesty, with Texas Health Prosper, says it’s very rare but can happen.

“Less than 1 percent is what’s listed in the data sheet,” he said. “I’ve been in practice 20 years, and I haven’t seen that particular complication.”

It is written in the fine print, and Dr. Hardesty says there’s always a chance of a side effect with any drug. The little girl’s parents say they wish they had known.

“I don’t think the 16 hours of symptom relief from the flu is worth the possible side effects that we went through,” her father said.

His message for parents: do your homework before taking Tamiflu – or any drug.

“Know that side effects are there for a reason. They’re written down for a reason. I guess they can happen, and we got the short end of the stick,” her father said.
    http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/01/12/u...fects-tamiflu/

Randomized study of the efficacy and safety of oral elderberry extract in the treatment of influenza A and B virus infections

Antiviral activity of the "Virus Blocking Factor" (VBF) derived i.a. from Pelargonium extract and Sambucus juice against different human-pathogenic cold viruses in vitro.

The effect of Sambucol, a black elderberry-based, natural product, on the production of human cytokines: I. Inflammatory cytokines.

The effect of herbal remedies on the production of human inflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokines.

I'm going to come back to this with it's own post because you're not exactly wrong, nor am I. LOL.....I know when considering our past debates/arguments that probably sounds tinged with malice, but far from it.

But, I want to get to the second paragraph since I had my wife give me a free medical seminar regarding both of our questions about your friends and their (what seems to us) strange treatment.

That's just it, when I asked them if they had any lab work done they said no.

My daughter has a friend who was diagnosed with pneumonia a few months back. He called me up to ask if I knew of any herbal remedies for pneumonia because he did not want to take the antibiotics they prescribed for him. I asked him if he had any lab work done, he said no, they just took a chest X-ray and said he had pneumonia wrote him a prescription and off he went. So at that point he had no idea whether his pneumonia was bacterial or viral. He told me, he never thought to ask them. This is a disturbing trend.
    First, and this was news to me, but a chest x-ray is the standard for checking for pneumonia. Better yet, most atypical bacterial infections causing the pneumonia actually can be seen (don't ask me how...lol) with the x-ray. If I'm saying things that are akin to common sense to you I apologize, but I've never had any dealings with pneumonia so this was all literally new stuff to me.

Even if it's 100% a viral infection causing pneumonia, they (should at least) always prescribe antibiotics (usually Zithromax). This is done as a preventative measure to prevent escalation of the condition. And being that atypical bacterial infections also show up on the x-ray (usually meaning Community Acquired Pneumonia or CAP. What you and I call "walking pneumonia"), that will just add to the guarantee they get antibiotics.

Also, if there is a risk of a co-morbid condition (diabetes, hypertension, COPD, as well as real young or elderly) and someone is on the tail end of the flu, many doctors will again prescribe antibiotics for them. They do that because their condition is past the need to warrant prescribing Tamiflu but they want to be careful the patient doesn't develop a respiratory infection leading to pneumonia.

Like I said, this was all news to me. I'm a lot like your daughter's friend in that I am VERY mindful about when I do and don't take antibiotics, because I am terrified of what is happening in the world of microbes and how quickly they are becoming immune to them. It's made worse for me due to my wife's work, as she has seen a handful of cases over the past four years where people had infections that nothing worked against them. Two were UTI infections and one was a respiratory. All died. And I knew it was serious when my wife got VERY interested in my prepping...more so then the normal due to living so close to the coast and dealing with hurricane season. Her reply to me when I asked her how super of a superbug was it.....she just told me one thing....."The CDC has quietly come to the hospital to observe". That was for the respiratory patient.

My FAVORITE tidbit was finding out China has been using Colistin in their agricultural industry. Which don't get me wrong...America is just as guilty of pumping antibiotics into livestock food, but Colistin was always one of the "hands off" antibiotics. It's actually an older med but hasn't been used as while it will kill whatever infection your body has.....it'll also slowly kill your organs. Very volatile. But it's been one of the "last resort" antibiotics for a long time. Well....lol....then it came out that China has been adding Colistin to their livestock feed to keep up with microbial evolving immunity.

So, me and you are completely eye to eye regarding natural ways to boost the immune system to help combat viral infections. I'm saying that up front so when you read my reply you'll understand that in no way am I coming across in some "I'm SO right, and you're retarded wrong!!!" fashion. Because while I agree wholeheartedly in giving our bodies all the ammunition we can naturally, I also take claims for just how much those natural aids can do with a grain of salt. Mind you, it's the same grain of salt I apply to medications....but even more so when it comes to the topic of influenza. There is a fault to any study done with the flu when it speaks to "patients saw x amount of less days sick" that applies to both spectrums.

Take Tamiflu for example. While I accept it is an antiviral that can help my body kill the flu, I don't do the whole "Tamiflu reduces the time your sick from the flu by so many days". Same with natural ways to boost the immune system. And here's why....

If you get the flu tomorrow.....how many days will you be sick? Don't feel bad because I can't answer that either, and anyone who says they can is most likely selling something. Up until about 5 years ago, I'd never had the flu in my life. But, one of the perils of having a spouse who is a medical provider working in an emergency room is you just never know what little treat they might bring home to you....lol. Since marrying my wife, I've had the flu four times. Twice I had both A and B.....grrr. Now, one time I got sick and I was sure I had contracted the bubonic death plague or something. It took me almost two weeks to get back to 80%. I hadn't had a flu shot, but I was taking Tamiflu (and a crap ton of hydrocodone cough syrup...man that stuff is awesome). The last time I caught the flu was this past October, and again I had both A and B.

Now, while I do get flu shots now due to my wife's work I hadn't yet gotten my shot this past time yet. And again, I did get Tamiflu (and that sweet sweet hydrocodone nectar), and I was only sick for three days. I do take a multivitamin daily, as well as do yoga (it's the only real exercise I can do now since I need low impact to joints since my back surgery), and I could live off of orange juice I like it so much. Point being, I've had both strains on two different occasions and both times took the same medication....and had two vastly different results regarding the time it took me to get well.

So any study that says patients saw x amount of time less being sick with some treatment is flawed, because there is no set time for how long the flu will make someone sick. Also, for what it's worth, if you noticed every time I talked about tamiflu reducing duration and severity of symptoms....to be honest, the "selling point" to me is severity. But even when I say duration, you'll see I always speak to symptoms and not the flu itself.

Basically, I agree with you in your approach to fighting the flu. But I think I'm also more inclined to combine medications with natural boosters. But on that, I do fully acknowledge that medication can have possible side effects on people. And while the response to those people is, "Yeah...but you're .001% of the American population." is on one side of the coin correct, it doesn't make it better for that .001%. I think I mentioned before about my family having some genetic thing making people from my mother's side of the family prone to Alzheimer disease? That's why I've made it clear several times to our family doctor that no drug containing statins will go in my body. It's also why I suffer with God awful heartburn when I enjoy things like coffee or orange juice, because H2 blockers, as well as PPI antacids have shown causal evidence to increase risk of Alzheimer by up to 44%. Basically, there are several medications that people use daily with no issue at all that I either can't or won't use, as the possible side effects I am high risk for keep me away.

Full disclosure, it's one of the reasons I am so big on Metformin and it's promising potential in promoting healthy cellular activity (ironically, it's an antioxidant which I was taking this last time I had the flu and was only sick for three days....lol. Sorry...you know I had to get at least one jab in. But....it might have played a role) which studies are starting to show will curtail certain ailments that come with age as our bodies break down. It's not about wanting to be 20 years old again, I'm very mindful of any and everything I can do to make sure I don't have some SOB diagnose me with Alzheimer. Because I've already made it clear to my family (wife, kids, everyone) that I will NOT die like that. I've had to watch several family members die from just withering away with Alzheimer, and have another Uncle recently diagnosed, to know that is not how my children will remember me. I'll eat a bullet before going out that way.

I am not a doctor, and can only speak for myself; however, after I retired, I started to go through memory loss issues. It was no where near as severe as Alzheimers, but was noticeable to both me and my family. I would take leaves of a gingko tree and boil them into a tea. I would drop 5 or 6 gingko nuts into the microwave for 60 seconds, until they popped (similar to popcorn). I would peel the skin off a 6-8 inch aloe vera plant leaf. I would throw the tea, nuts, and slimy aloe into a blender and puree it. I would sweeten it to taste, then drink it. This has worked quite well for me. Both Gingko trees and Aloe Vera grow naturally where I am, and can be readily foraged.

So, me and you are completely eye to eye regarding natural ways to boost the immune system to help combat viral infections. I'm saying that up front so when you read my reply you'll understand that in no way am I coming across in some "I'm SO right, and you're retarded wrong!!!" fashion. Because while I agree wholeheartedly in giving our bodies all the ammunition we can naturally, I also take claims for just how much those natural aids can do with a grain of salt. Mind you, it's the same grain of salt I apply to medications....but even more so when it comes to the topic of influenza. There is a fault to any study done with the flu when it speaks to "patients saw x amount of less days sick" that applies to both spectrums.

Take Tamiflu for example. While I accept it is an antiviral that can help my body kill the flu, I don't do the whole "Tamiflu reduces the time your sick from the flu by so many days". Same with natural ways to boost the immune system. And here's why....

If you get the flu tomorrow.....how many days will you be sick? Don't feel bad because I can't answer that either, and anyone who says they can is most likely selling something. Up until about 5 years ago, I'd never had the flu in my life. But, one of the perils of having a spouse who is a medical provider working in an emergency room is you just never know what little treat they might bring home to you....lol. Since marrying my wife, I've had the flu four times. Twice I had both A and B.....grrr. Now, one time I got sick and I was sure I had contracted the bubonic death plague or something. It took me almost two weeks to get back to 80%. I hadn't had a flu shot, but I was taking Tamiflu (and a crap ton of hydrocodone cough syrup...man that stuff is awesome). The last time I caught the flu was this past October, and again I had both A and B.

Now, while I do get flu shots now due to my wife's work I hadn't yet gotten my shot this past time yet. And again, I did get Tamiflu (and that sweet sweet hydrocodone nectar), and I was only sick for three days. I do take a multivitamin daily, as well as do yoga (it's the only real exercise I can do now since I need low impact to joints since my back surgery), and I could live off of orange juice I like it so much. Point being, I've had both strains on two different occasions and both times took the same medication....and had two vastly different results regarding the time it took me to get well.

So any study that says patients saw x amount of time less being sick with some treatment is flawed, because there is no set time for how long the flu will make someone sick. Also, for what it's worth, if you noticed every time I talked about tamiflu reducing duration and severity of symptoms....to be honest, the "selling point" to me is severity. But even when I say duration, you'll see I always speak to symptoms and not the flu itself.

Basically, I agree with you in your approach to fighting the flu. But I think I'm also more inclined to combine medications with natural boosters. But on that, I do fully acknowledge that medication can have possible side effects on people. And while the response to those people is, "Yeah...but you're .001% of the American population." is on one side of the coin correct, it doesn't make it better for that .001%. I think I mentioned before about my family having some genetic thing making people from my mother's side of the family prone to Alzheimer disease? That's why I've made it clear several times to our family doctor that no drug containing statins will go in my body. It's also why I suffer with God awful heartburn when I enjoy things like coffee or orange juice, because H2 blockers, as well as PPI antacids have shown causal evidence to increase risk of Alzheimer by up to 44%. Basically, there are several medications that people use daily with no issue at all that I either can't or won't use, as the possible side effects I am high risk for keep me away.

Full disclosure, it's one of the reasons I am so big on Metformin and it's promising potential in promoting healthy cellular activity (ironically, it's an antioxidant which I was taking this last time I had the flu and was only sick for three days....lol. Sorry...you know I had to get at least one jab in. But....it might have played a role) which studies are starting to show will curtail certain ailments that come with age as our bodies break down. It's not about wanting to be 20 years old again, I'm very mindful of any and everything I can do to make sure I don't have some SOB diagnose me with Alzheimer. Because I've already made it clear to my family (wife, kids, everyone) that I will NOT die like that. I've had to watch several family members die from just withering away with Alzheimer, and have another Uncle recently diagnosed, to know that is not how my children will remember me. I'll eat a bullet before going out that way.
    First, I thank you for not responding to my post snarky and condescending. I appreciate it because there is a need for an open dialog that goes back and forth for all of us to learn from. There's a few members in this forum that bring nothing to a thread and their only goal is to shut the dialog down.

Well if you are concerned about Alzheimer's you ought to do some research on the flu vaccines or any vaccines for that matter. I would also be concerned about cooking in aluminum, antiperspirants, antacids and other things that contain aluminum. ( 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 )

There are a few natural remedies that help heartburn you should try. One that works for me is Raw Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar with MOTHER. However there are lots of different alternatives, and since I don't believe in one-size-fits-all, one must try things and see which works for them. ( 1, 2, 3, 4 )

I firmly believe if we take care of ourselves and try to stay away from as many toxins, as possible, then our immune system will have a fighting chance. The world is very polluted and that is why it is important why we watch what we put in our bodies.
    Last edited by donnay; 01-14-2018 at 08:30 AM.

Flu kills San Jose mom, 40, who liked to run marathons...
    http://www.sfgate.com/healthredesign...n-12499691.php
    A 40-year-old San Jose mother of three died only two days after coming down with the flu, according to news reports
    Flu-pocalypse? Why scientists are scrambling to make a 'universal influenza vaccine'
    http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/...a-vaccine.html
    Flu season is already shaping up to be one of the worst seasons in over a decade...
    Last edited by kahless; 01-15-2018 at 10:43 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/...k-doctor-says/

Across California, at least 42 people younger than 65 have died since Oct. 1 because of flu-related illnesses — including at least 19 in the Bay Area — compared with three statewide last year. In Santa Clara County, five people have died this season — including a 40-year-old woman last week at Good Samaritan — and six in Contra Costa County. In Alameda County, hospitals are seeing a surge in flu patients, but no flu-related deaths had been reported by late last week.
    t’s not too late to get a flu shot. “While the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention believe the flu vaccine is only about 30 percent effective against the H3N2 flu strain, it’s still worth getting and can reduce the severity or duration of the illness, doctors say.

Massive Flu Outbreak? Here’s the Real Story the Media Won’t Touch – The lies, the hoax, the scandal

Massive flu outbreak? Here’s the real story the media won’t touch. The lies, the hoax, the scandal.

I covered part of the scandal the other day, but here I’ll give you much more.

By Jon Rappoport
    January 15, 2018

In case you haven’t been following the uproar over the flu outbreak, you’ve missed the fact that…

Health authorities admit this year’s flu vaccine is only 10% effective.

But of course, they urge you to take the vaccine anyway.

Why is this year’s vaccine ineffective? Because it’s made using chicken eggs, and researchers have discovered that the flu virus—which is placed in the vaccine—mutates in chicken eggs.

Therefore, by the time a person takes the flu shot, he’s not being protected against this year’s seasonal flu virus. He’s being protected against a mutated virus that isn’t causing the flu this year.

This is the conventional explanation. If you think it’s the whole story, I have condos for sale on the moon.

You see, vaccines have been made using chicken eggs—not just this year—but for the past 70 years.

Oops.

That would mean the flu vaccine has been ineffective for decades.

Healthline.com: “The majority of flu vaccines are grown in chicken eggs, a method of vaccine development that’s been used for 70 years.”

But wait. There’s more. Much more. I’ll break it down into several scandals.

SCANDAL ONE (I covered this the other day): Dr. Peter Doshi, writing in the online BMJ (British Medical Journal), reveals a monstrosity.

As Doshi states, every year, hundreds of thousands of respiratory samples are taken from flu patients in the US and tested in labs. Here is the kicker: only a small percentage of these samples show the presence of a flu virus.

This means: most of the people in America who are diagnosed by doctors with the flu have no flu virus in their bodies.

So they don’t have the flu.

Therefore, even if you assume the flu vaccine is useful and safe, it couldn’t possibly prevent all those “flu cases” that aren’t flu cases.

The vaccine couldn’t possibly work.

The vaccine isn’t designed to prevent fake flu, unless pigs can fly.

Here’s the exact quote from Peter Doshi’s BMJ review, “Influenza: marketing vaccines by marketing disease” (BMJ 2013; 346:f3037):

“…even the ideal influenza vaccine, matched perfectly to circulating strains of wild influenza and capable of stopping all influenza viruses, can only deal with a small part of the ‘flu’ problem because most ‘flu’ appears to have nothing to do with influenza. Every year, hundreds of thousands of respiratory specimens are tested across the US. Of those tested, on average 16% are found to be influenza positive.”

“…It’s no wonder so many people feel that ‘flu shots’ don’t work: for most flus, they can’t.”

Because most diagnosed cases of the flu aren’t the flu.

So even if you’re a true believer in mainstream vaccine theory, you’re on the short end of the stick here. They’re conning your socks off.

The basic flu symptoms—cough, fever, chills, sore throat, muscle aches, weakness—can be caused by a variety of factors that have nothing to do with a flu virus.

SCANDAL TWO: In December of 2005, the British Medical Journal (online) published another shocking Peter Doshi report, which created tremors through the halls of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), where “the experts” used to tell the press that 36,000 people in the US die every year from the flu.

Here is a quote from Doshi’s report, “Are US flu death figures more PR than science?” (BMJ 2005; 331:1412):

“[According to CDC statistics], ‘influenza and pneumonia’ took 62,034 lives in 2001—61,777 of which were attributable to pneumonia and 257 to flu, and in only 18 cases was the flu virus positively identified.”

Boom.

You see, the CDC has created one overall category that combines both flu and pneumonia deaths. Why do they do this? Because they disingenuously assume that the pneumonia deaths are complications stemming from the flu.

This is an absurd assumption. Pneumonia has a number of causes.

But even worse, in all the flu and pneumonia deaths, only 18 revealed the presence of an influenza virus.

Therefore, the CDC could not say, with assurance, that more than 18 people died of influenza in 2001. Not 36,000 deaths. 18 deaths.

Doshi continued his assessment of published CDC flu-death statistics: “Between 1979 and 2001, [CDC] data show an average of 1348 [flu] deaths per year (range 257 to 3006).” These figures refer to flu separated out from pneumonia.

This death toll is obviously far lower than the old parroted 36,000 figure.

However, when you add the sensible condition that lab tests have to actually find the flu virus in patients, the numbers of flu deaths plummet even further.

In other words, it’s all promotion and hype.

“Well, uh, we used to say that 36,000 people die from the flu every year in the US. But actually, all we can prove is about 20 deaths. However, we can’t admit that, because if we did, we’d be exposing our gigantic PSYOP. The whole campaign to scare people into getting a flu shot would have about the same effect as warning people to carry iron umbrellas, in case toasters fall out of upper-story windows…and, by the way, we’d be put in prison for fraud.”

SCANDAL THREE: The so-called Swine Flu pandemic of 2009. This one is a real eye-opener. The CDC was caught with its pants down.

Swine Flu was hyped to the sky by the CDC. The Agency was calling for all Americans to take the Swine Flu vaccine. Remember?

The problem was, the CDC was concealing a very dirty secret.

At the time, star CBS investigative reporter, Sharyl Attkisson, was working on the Swine Flu story. She discovered that the CDC had secretly stopped counting cases of the illness—while, of course, continuing to warn Americans about its unchecked spread.

Understand that the CDC’s main job is counting cases and reporting the numbers.

What was the Agency up to?

Here is an excerpt from my 2014 interview with Sharyl Attkisson:

Rappoport: In 2009, you spearheaded coverage of the so-called Swine Flu pandemic. You discovered that, in the summer of 2009, the Centers for Disease Control, ignoring their federal mandate, [secretly] stopped counting Swine Flu cases in America. Yet they continued to stir up fear about the “pandemic,” without having any real measure of its impact. Wasn’t that another investigation of yours that was shut down? Wasn’t there more to find out?

Attkisson: The implications of the story were even worse than that. We discovered through our FOI efforts that before the CDC mysteriously stopped counting Swine Flu cases, they had learned that almost none of the cases they had counted as Swine Flu were, in fact, Swine Flu or any sort of flu at all! The interest in the story from one [CBS] executive was very enthusiastic. He said it was “the most original story” he’d seen on the whole Swine Flu epidemic. But others pushed to stop it [after it was published on the CBS News website] and, in the end, no [CBS television news] broadcast wanted to touch it. We aired numerous stories pumping up the idea of an epidemic, but not the one that would shed original, new light on all the hype. It was fair, accurate, legally approved and a heck of a story. With the CDC keeping the true Swine Flu stats secret, it meant that many in the public took and gave their children an experimental vaccine that may not have been necessary.

—end of interview excerpt—

I’ll add a few details. It was routine for doctors all over America to send blood samples from patients they’d diagnosed with Swine Flu, or the “most likely” Swine Flu patients, to labs for testing. And overwhelmingly, those samples were coming back with the result: not Swine Flu, not any kind of flu.

That was the big secret. That’s what the CDC was hiding. That’s why they stopped reporting Swine Flu case numbers. That’s what Attkisson had discovered. That’s why she was shut down.

But it gets even worse.

Because about three weeks after Attkisson’s findings were published on the CBS News website, the CDC, obviously in a panic, decided to double down. If one lie is exposed, tell an even bigger one. A much bigger one.

Here, from a November 12, 2009, WebMD article is the CDC’s response: “Shockingly, 14 million to 34 million U.S. residents — the CDC’s best guess is 22 million — came down with H1N1 swine flu by Oct. 17 [2009].” (“22 million cases of Swine Flu in US,” by Daniel J. DeNoon).

Are your eyeballs popping? They should be.

In the summer of 2009, the CDC secretly stops counting Swine Flu cases in America, because the overwhelming percentage of lab tests from likely Swine Flu patients shows no sign of Swine Flu or any other kind of flu.

There is no Swine Flu epidemic.

Then, the CDC estimates there are 22 MILLION cases of Swine Flu in the US.

So now…when health officials begin waving red flags and raising alarms about a current viral flu outbreak, it would be more than reasonable to demand they answer questions about their past lies and deceptions.

Unless you just want to take them at their word.

If so, good luck.
    https://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2...x-the-scandal/

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I will prepare by eating dried fruit and an extra shot of bourbon .
    My wife's grandmother would gargle with Jack Daniels to keep from getting sick. She was a teetotaler. That's awfully expensive mouthwash. It probably just kept everyone away from her because they thought she was drunk.

“I’ve been in practice 20 years, and I haven’t seen that particular complication.”
    Sad but extremely rare event.

says it’s very rare
    In certain people eating food can cause very rare side effects too.

According to one of your links, five cases in the US which has 330 million people. Outside of Japan- a total of eight including the US five. Yes, that is rare. Extremely so.

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/n...amiflu-warning

The FDA knows of 103 reported cases -- 95 from Japan, five from the U.S., and three from other countries. Sixty of the 103 cases featured delirium with prominent behavioral disturbance such as panic attack, hallucinations, and convulsions; only one of those cases occurred in the U.S.
    It also notes:

It's not known if Tamiflu caused any of those events.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-17-2018 at 02:13 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast