Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘$#@!hole’ countries in Oval Office meeting

Trump attacks protections for immigrants from ‘$#@!hole’ countries in Oval Office meeting

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...d94_story.html

By Josh Dawsey, January 11

President Trump grew frustrated with lawmakers Thursday in the Oval Office when they floated restoring protections for immigrants from Haiti, El Salvador and African countries as part of a bipartisan immigration deal, according to two people briefed on the meeting.

“Why are we having all these people from $#@!hole countries come here?” Trump said, according to these people, referring to African countries and Haiti. He then suggested that the United States should instead bring more people from countries like Norway, whose prime minister he met Wednesday.

The comments left lawmakers taken aback, according to people familiar with their reactions. Sens. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) and Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.) proposed cutting the visa lottery program by 50 percent and prioritizing countries already in the system, a White House official said.

A White House spokesman declined to offer an immediate comment on Trump’s remarks.

Outlining a potential bipartisan deal, the lawmakers discussed restoring protections for countries that have been removed from the temporary protected status program while adding $1.5 billion for a border wall and making changes to the visa lottery system.

The administration announced this week that it was removing the protection for citizens of El Salvador.

Trump had seemed amenable to a deal earlier in the day during phone calls, aides said, but shifted his position in the meeting and did not seem interested.

Graham and Durbin thought they would be meeting with Trump alone and were surprised to find immigration hard-liners such as Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) and Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) at the meeting. The meeting was impromptu and came after phone calls Thursday morning, Capitol Hill aides said.

After the meeting, Marc Short, Trump’s legislative aide, said the White House was nowhere near a bipartisan deal on immigration.

“We still think we can get there,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said at the daily White House news briefing.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Well , did they have an answer on how accepting people from a $#@!hole improves life for american taxpayers ?

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Well , did they have an answer on how accepting people from a $#@!hole improves life for american taxpayers ?
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Exactly.
    Now you favor controlling immigration?

I'm glad to see you do have the capacity to learn.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Now you favor controlling immigration?

I'm glad to see you do have the capacity to learn.
    Lol. I still don't have a problem with immigration. Legal or illegal. The question was "how does it improve the lives of American taxpayers." I've never been for government assistance. And still am not.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lol. I still don't have a problem with immigration. Legal or illegal. The question was "how does it improve the lives of American taxpayers." I've never been for government assistance. And still am not.
    Sorry, you have to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    Sorry, you have to go back.
    To which state? The one I was born in? One of those I served in the military in?

Do Swedes qualify for diversity visas yet?

Also, "African countries such as Haiti"... I mean, wrong continent, but yeah - earth's $#@!.
    Last edited by Raginfridus; 01-11-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Also, "African countries such as Haiti"... I mean, wrong continent, but yeah - earth's $#@!.
    Not in the article. Where did you get it from?

Trump impresses more everyday.

Considering the Dem and MSM outrage there will be allot of great memes to come out of this for months to come. Memes that will easily sway the average voter. The Democrat and MSM position on affluent Norway immigration is equivalent to sewage laden poor Haiti is indefensible in the minds of most normal people.

Considering the Dem and MSM outrage there will be allot of great memes to come out of this for months to come. Memes that will easily sway the average voter. The Democrat and MSM position on affluent Norway immigration is equivalent to sewage laden poor Haiti is indefensible in the minds of most normal people.
    I guess it depends on what you consider normal, I think a lot of people will be saying, "yeah, why not more Norwegians than Haitians?" the only people that will have a problem with it are people that haven't had to interact with Haitians on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Not in the article. Where did you get it from?
    Second paragraph.

It was there earlier. Must be the vodka. :P
    Last edited by Raginfridus; 01-11-2018 at 08:18 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In all fairness, every single country in Central America is a $#@! hole. It isn't a debatable statement.

Wasn't the Clinton Foundation supposed to pull up Haiti into a first world country?

Wasn't the Clinton Foundation supposed to pull up Haiti into a first world country?
    Mother Teresa was too busy grifting all of their money. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.354729e30917

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Yup. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ery-money-went

A boorish comment, but very truthful. Show me the millions trying to sneak into the continent of Africa or Haiti? Nah. I thought so.
    Last edited by AuH20; 01-11-2018 at 08:40 PM.

Also, Trump is wrong on Norway. Eff them too.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    To be fair to Haiti: A poster informed us on another thread that Haiti is a $#@!hole due to the French occupying it 200 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    To be fair to Haiti: A poster informed us on another thread that Haiti is a $#@!hole due to the French occupying it 200 years ago.
    That would explain it. The cheese eating surrender monkeys $#@! up everything they touch. French reparations are in order.

I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    -rep

there should be 3rd one that says '$#@! them, they arent americans'
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

That would explain it. The cheese eating surrender monkeys $#@! up everything they touch. French reparations are in order.
    Sneaky frogs wanted to steal our gold and we lost the gold standard!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    -rep

there should be 3rd one that says '$#@! them, they arent americans'
    that was was removed about 30 years ago

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast