Thread: Bentivolio is running for Congress again

Bentivolio is running for Congress again

I hesitate to call this a "liberty campaign." I know he ended up being disappointing in some things. But he had a somewhat short stint, and I'm not sure if he might have been better than 90% of Republicans if given the chance. I could be wrong. I'm not prepared to endorse him. But I'm curious enough to think he's worth keeping an eye on.

I just saw that he won a straw poll among candidates in the Republican primary for his district. Not sure how important of a straw poll it was, but it was a big enough deal to be reported in local news.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Meh...he seems easily manipulated with no real ideological foundation. I say this having contributed to his first campaign, so I'm dumb too. I don't live in the district, but Rocky will probably win the primary.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

I think "disappointing in some things" is a bit of an understatement. He squandered a golden, once in a lifetime opportunity and sold out to the tyrants based on a misguided hope they would support him later. They didn't and never would. He blew it.

I know this is gossip, but Amash tried to work with him (he did hold a fundraiser at one of the state conventions), but Bentivolio didn't want anything to do with him in Congress for some reason.

I honestly don't remember what he did in office. I just remember being disappointed.

What were his specific major offenses? And did he ever support any foreign military interventions?

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    I honestly don't remember what he did in office. I just remember being disappointed.
    Basically he was just good enough to get the establishment to want him out and just bad enough that the liberty movement didn't see the sense of spending much money or energy on him. He supported Boehner and got nothing out of it. Basically he was like much of the Freedom Caucus today. I think his heart was more with us than most of them even though he was a disappointment.

What were his specific major offenses? And did he ever support any foreign military interventions?
    Several things including indefinite detention, continuing the war, and fiscal issues. https://www.thenewamerican.com/index...nameid=B001280
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I think "disappointing in some things" is a bit of an understatement. He squandered a golden, once in a lifetime opportunity and sold out to the tyrants based on a misguided hope they would support him later. They didn't and never would. He blew it.
    Yes, it was entirely his fault and a jerk move considering the amount of effort that went into his initial election. Should have, possibly did know better.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

One of his last votes in office was to switch from No to Yes to be the deciding vote to pass the "cromnibus" bill.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

He voted to raise the debt ceiling and supported Bohener right off the bat. He wouldn't support sunsetting the AUMF. He might have been marginally better than the establishment guy who replaced him after his one term. But he's basically a good example for why you wouldn't want some random person from the phonebook to hold office.

I probably have quibbles with some of the things JBS scores in its Freedom Index, especially anything protectionist. But all things considered, it's one of the best gauges we have. That 80% score for Bentivolio puts him up around the top 10 representatives for that period by that measure. Granted, there are a few others who earned scores better than his that I'm not crazy about. But even those are generally the ones who are most likely to ally with Rand, Amash, and Massie.
    https://www.thenewamerican.com/freed...ndex_113-2.pdf