Thread: U.S. Supreme Court Leaves Intact Mississippi Law Curbing Gay Rights

U.S. Supreme Court Leaves Intact Mississippi Law Curbing Gay Rights

The U.S. Supreme Court left intact a Mississippi law that lets businesses and government workers refuse on religious grounds to provide services to gay and transgender people.
    The justices turned away two appeals by state residents and organizations that contended the measure violates the Constitution. A federal appeals court said the opponents hadn’t suffered any injury that would let them press their claims in court.

The state enacted its law less than a year after the 2015 Supreme Court ruling that legalized same-sex marriage nationwide.
    The measure says religious people can’t be sued or penalized by the government for declining to provide services for same-sex marriage ceremonies. The law also protects people who believe gender is an immutable characteristic or who object to sex out of wedlock.

Critics say the law lets government clerks refuse to issue same-sex marriage licenses and lets adoption and foster-care organizations decline to place children with LGBT families. The measure also wiped out protections that cities including Jackson, the state’s most populous, had previously afforded to gay and transgender residents.

More at: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-sup...143335424.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is a tricky law. The first section outlines and appears to establish state sanctioned religious beliefs that are to be protected, which should obviously be in conflict with the first amendment. However the body of the law only describes the government should not have the power to punish people exercising these beliefs which I'm all for government not having power to punish people. Without this law, is the opposite scenario true? The state would punish people to adhere to the LGBT activist beliefs?

Bill text: http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/doc...9/HB1523SG.pdf
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    This is a tricky law. The first section outlines and appears to establish state sanctioned religious beliefs that are to be protected, which should obviously be in conflict with the first amendment. However the body of the law only describes the government should not have the power to punish people exercising these beliefs which I'm all for government not having power to punish people. Without this law, is the opposite scenario true? The state would punish people to adhere to the LGBT activist beliefs?

Bill text: http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/doc...9/HB1523SG.pdf
    Saying that you can't punish people for having certain beliefs is NOT establishing a religion.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

The U.S. Supreme Court left intact a Mississippi law that lets businesses and government workers refuse on religious grounds to provide services to gay and transgender people.

The justices turned away two appeals by state residents and organizations that contended the measure violates the Constitution. A federal appeals court said the opponents hadn’t suffered any injury that would let them press their claims in court.
    Seems like a bit of spin. Doesn't the Supreme Court turn away the vast majority of cases that are brought to them? "Left intact" implies they actively did something.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Does it curb gay rights or merely not trample on the rights of others who don't 'celebrate' gayness?
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Does it curb gay rights or merely not trample on the rights of others who don't 'celebrate' gayness?
    OMG you must be one of those racist homophobes!

It will likely kill BILLIONS of gay babies (gabies?), minorities, and even the brave and oppressed womenz of the state!

How dare you ask this question you cis hetero white male privileged Neanderthal!

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows