Thread: considering moving to NC.

considering moving to NC.

Both myself and my business partner have started considering moving to NC. We came to this idea independently -- we just both happen to live in some of the bluest states in the nation. NJ and CA respectively.

Anyways, I've only spent a little bit of time in NC a over a decade ago and really liked it and the people. (mostly Wilmington area)
    But I know we have a fair number of NC people on this forum, so I ask you:

Would you recommend moving to NC?
    Where in NC?

I'm considering one of the barrier islands, but open to one of the beach town areas on the mainland.
    My main needs are: good place for the kid to grow up, fast internet.
    DW is a nurse, so somewhere with a hospital or few within decent commuting distance would be ideal.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Once you get the house , the kid in school and a good job for the wife you can start looking at boats .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Once you get the house , the kid in school and a good job for the wife you can start looking at boats .
    wise words, chief. I still dreamily think about moving back to the FL keys, but I think the NC move would probably be easier to actually make happen and better for the kid.

I would have to live in Buxton.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I would have to live in Buxton.
    that's where my business partner is looking -- he's a surfer too. no way is he moving from CA unless it is to somewhere he can surf every morning (waves permitting)
    Last edited by specsaregood; 01-08-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Sorry specs, my knowledge of N.C. extends mostly to the Piedmont and mountains. N.C. does have some nice beaches though judging from my vacations there.

Specs, look at the area south of Morehead City, the Emerald Isle and back bay areas.

That said, I'm sure that's just what North Carolinians want to hear: two more people from NJ and CA showing up.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 01-08-2018 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Specs, look at the area south of Morehead City, the Emerald Isle and back bay areas.
    That said, I'm sure that's just what North Carolinians want to hear: two more people from NJ and CA showing up.
    thanks, will do.

fair enough, but at least we're both MYOB type folk so as long as they leave us alone, we'll get along fine.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

They may be Northerners but at least they ain't half-backs.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    They may be Northerners but at least they ain't half-backs.
    keep in mind, neither of us grew up in these liberal $#@!holes, but rather grew up in rural farm country.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 01-08-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    keep in mind, neither of us grew up in these liberal $#@!holes, but rather grew up in rural farm country.
    So did many of them that wore the Blue an drove ole Dixie down. Consarn ye!

What is it you want to know, exactly? NC native here, lifelong resident of Charlotte.

Did you arbitrarily pick NC over other southern East Coast states? Or is there some reason you're locked into that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Did you arbitrarily pick NC over other southern East Coast states? Or is there some reason you're locked into that one?
    Not completely arbitrary. But I'm open to other suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Not completely arbitrary. But I'm open to other suggestions.
    I'm not from there. But I have heard great things about SC in particular from people who have lived there.

Good time to leave Jersey. New Gov. Murphy asked in his acceptance speech for bills to "reaffirm our support for women’s health and Planned Parenthood; to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour; to promote equal pay for women; to give every worker the peace of mind of earned sick leave; to tear down barriers to voting; and, to strengthen our gun laws"
    If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
    Ron Paul

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by not.your.average.joe View Post
    Good time to leave Jersey. New Gov. Murphy asked in his acceptance speech for bills to "reaffirm our support for women’s health and Planned Parenthood; to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour; to promote equal pay for women; to give every worker the peace of mind of earned sick leave; to tear down barriers to voting; and, to strengthen our gun laws"
    What is his plan to strengthen gun laws , just give everyone a spear ?

NC is a very good place to live with a few exceptions. The half-backs in Charlotte have made that a not very nice place, but the rest of the state has a lot to offer.

It has beaches, mountains, and a huge tech community. It also gets all 4 seasons but it is not miserable for too long there. If it didn't have an income tax it would probably be one of the best states to live in.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst