Thread: A Popular Sugar Additive May Have Fueled the Spread of Two Superbugs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A Popular Sugar Additive May Have Fueled the Spread of Two Superbugs

https://science.slashdot.org/story/1...-two-superbugs

Two bacterial strains that have plagued hospitals around the country may have been at least partly fueled by a sugar additive in our food products, scientists say. Trehalose, a sugar that is added to a wide range of food products, could have allowed certain strains of Clostridium difficile to become far more virulent than they were before, a new study finds. The results, described in the journal Nature, highlight the unintended consequences of introducing otherwise harmless additives to the food supply.

Nearly half a million people were sickened by C. difficile in 2011, when it was directly linked to 15,000 deaths. "The misuse and overuse of antibiotics has long been thought to be responsible for the rise of many kinds of antibiotic-resistant 'superbug'," notes the article, before citing a researcher who now believes "the circumstantial and experimental evidence points to trehalose as an unexpected culprit."
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    InB4 Zippy and angelatc

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    InB4 Zippy and angelatc
    I am having a sugar free meatloaf and potatoes tonight so I am good .

Oh yum...

Trehalose, also known as mycose, is a 1-alpha (disaccharide) sugar found extensively but not abundantly in nature. It is thought to be implicated in anhydrobiosis - the ability of plants and animals to withstand prolonged periods of desiccation. The sugar is thought to form a gel phase as cells dehydrate, which prevents disruption of internal cell organelles by effectively splinting them in position. Rehydration then allows normal cellular activity to be resumed without the major, generally lethal damage that would normally follow a dehydration/reyhdration cycle. Trehalose is a non-reducing sugar formed from two glucose units joined by a 1-1 alpha bond giving it the name of alpha-D-glucopyranoglucopyranosyl-1, 1-alpha-D-glucopyranoside. The bonding makes trehalose very resistant to acid hydrolysis, and therefore stable in solution at high temperatures even under acidic conditions. The bonding also keeps non-reducing sugars in closed-ring form, such that the aldehyde or ketone end-groups do not bind to the lysine or arginine residues of proteins (a process called glycation). The enzyme trehalase, present but not abundant in most people, breaks it into two glucose molecules, which can then be readily absorbed in the gut. Trehalose is an important components of insects circulating fluid. It acts as a storage form of insect circulating fluid and it is important in respiration.
    https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/com...se#section=Top

Treha™
    Specialty sweetener trehalose
    Contact Us

Trehalose is an ideal ingredient for generating exciting market possibilities for your latest product concepts and also for adding new life to existing food and beverage brands. Trehalose, a diglucose sugar found in nature, confers to certain plant and animal cells the ability to survive dehydration for decades and to restore activity soon after rehydration. This observation has led to the use of trehalose as excipient during freeze drying of a variety of products in the pharmaceutical industry and as an ingredient for dried, baked and processed food, as well as a non-toxic cryoprotectant of vaccines and organs for surgical transplants.

It is especially well suited for sweetening nutritional drinks and other energy products used by consumers as part of their daily eating habits. As a multi-functional sugar with nearly half the sweetness of sucrose, trehalose will strongly improve the taste, texture and appeal of your foods and beverages. Trehalose can bring out the best in your products and your processes, enhancing functionality and improving stability in several key ways.
    https://www.cargill.com/food-bev/emea/sweeteners/treha
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I think all refined sugar type products are dangerous. Even natural sugar should be used very sparingly. Our bodies are designed make it's own DNA brand of sugar consuming sugar interferes with this very vital function of the body. If I could make one substance highly controlled it would be sugar. If I could stop you from doing one thing it would be consuming all sugar and sugar like products. I am absolutely convinced that sugar is the most deadly substance being put into food. I am sure it is more harmful than any natural drug. Sugar is the reason that alcohol is actually more deadly than opium or cacao. Yes it is but, you have to totally understand the bodily process of making it's on sugar to understand why. Opium and cocaine in it's unrefined state do not interfere with the sugar making process of the body. Refined sugar consumption is the cause of diabetes.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I think all refined sugar type products are dangerous. Even natural sugar should be used very sparingly. Our bodies are designed make it's own DNA brand of sugar consuming sugar interferes with this very vital function of the body. If I could make one substance highly controlled it would be sugar. If I could stop you from doing one thing it would be consuming all sugar and sugar like products. I am absolutely convinced that sugar is the most deadly substance being put into food. I am sure it is more harmful than any natural drug. Sugar is the reason that alcohol is actually more deadly than opium or cacao. Yes it is but, you have to totally understand the bodily process of making it's on sugar to understand why. Opium and cocaine in it's unrefined state do not interfere with the sugar making process of the body. Refined sugar consumption is the cause of diabetes.
    More importantly, I see the major contributor of diabetes as the chemical poison aspartame.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    More importantly, I see the major contributor of diabetes as the chemical poison aspartame.
    I am sure it does not help diabetes and probably does make it worse. Diabetes will never be cured as long as the treatment fails to support the bodies ability to make it's own DNA brand of sugar.

Diabetes will never be cured as long as the treatment fails to support the bodies ability to make it's own DNA brand of sugar.
    Diabetes will never be cured as long as the population can be milked for treatments.
    Lots of dependent people ,, lots of $$$. A cure would be a certain loss of profits.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Diabetes will never be cured as long as the population can be milked for treatments.
    Lots of dependent people ,, lots of $$$. A cure would be a certain loss of profits.
    Oh I will agree, but it doesn't just stop at diabetes.

However, there is plenty of information out there as to what the chemical artificial sweeteners does to the pancreas.

How does Aspartame affect the pancreas in diabetic patients?

Roberts suggests, “There can be several outcomes. First, patients might be making too much insulin and can have severe hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) attacks. Aspartame can release almost as much insulin as glucose.

It has been known for many years that oral and intravenous phenylalanine and other amino acids cause marked elevation of insulin. In my books, I go into this in great detail. On the one hand, we are talking about the stimulation of more insulin and hypoglycemia. Further study is needed to determine whether, over the long term, this will over stimulate the islets that make insulin.

The other aspect is the diabetogenic state and loss of diabetic control through various mechanisms that include the wasting of insulin, the impairment of glucose transport, the increase of the growth hormone and glucagon, and perhaps blocking insulin receptors.”

Why does Aspartame seem to aggravate diabetes?

Roberts states “Some of the reasons/mechanisms Aspartame might aggravate diabetes and hypoglycemia includes the following:

-Marked changes in appetite and weight as reflected by paradoxic weight gain or severe loss of weight.

-Excessive insulin secretion and depletion of the insulin reserve

-Possible alteration of cellular receptor sites for insulin, with ensuing insulin resistance

-Neurotransmitter alterations within the brain and peripheral nerves

-The toxicity of each of the three components of aspartame (phenylalanine; aspartic acid: the methylester, which promptly becomes methyl alcohol or methanol), and their multiple breakdown products after exposure to heat or during prolonged storage.”
    http://www.healthy-holistic-living.c...-diabetes.html

I think you are a little too extreme but otherwise correct, the body is designed to process sugar in the diet but it should be the smallest component of your diet, sugar is the least beneficial and most dangerous form of calories.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I think you are a little too extreme but otherwise correct, the body is designed to process sugar in the diet but it should be the smallest component of your diet, sugar is the least beneficial and most dangerous form of calories.
    Someone needs to be extreme about it. Look how many people are fat, have diabetes, are wheel chair bound, and have heart conditions and are carrying around oxygen tanks. If science is so smart how come the general population his getting sicker instead of healthier?

If and when you ever decide to take sugar out of your diet and then eat it after you have cleaned out your body you will be able to tell what it does to you. Most people do not realize until they fo without it for awhile how much it can make pain occur in the body. I think any one in chronic pain should stop eating sweeteners of all kinds. It could probably help to end pain pill dependency. But people are convinced they have to have it

Refined sugar consumption is the cause of diabetes.
    Where to people get this from?

I have heard this complete bull$#@! for years..

Diabetes is the inability to properly control sugar.. It is not caused by sugar.

The human body runs on sugar.. You would die without it,, or if you body does not control it properly.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Diabetes is the inability to properly control sugar.. It is not caused by sugar.

The human body runs on sugar.. You would die without it,, or if you body does not control it properly.
    Too much of anything is bad.

Too much of anything is bad.
    Sugar Rush.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

If you constantly overuse your sugar metabolism you can break it and cause diabetes, however moderate to light sugar consumption will not cause diabetes even with occasional heavy consumption. (such as a dessert or some candy)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    If you constantly overuse your sugar metabolism you can break it and cause diabetes, however moderate to light sugar consumption will not cause diabetes even with occasional heavy consumption. (such as a dessert or some candy)
    diabetes is a disease of the pancreas,

Healthy people can manage sugar ..and turning carbs into sugar,, and turning fat into sugar,, Though usually an over abundance turns sugars into fats for storage.(later use)

Diabetic folk can not.. it has nothing to do with sugar.. It has to do with insulin.

and the production and management of INSULIN..

The stupid sugar myth is just that,, a stupid myth,, stuff you tell little kids,,
    easter bunny poop
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    diabetes is a disease of the pancreas,

Healthy people can manage sugar ..and turning carbs into sugar,, and turning fat into sugar,, Though usually an over abundance turns sugars into fats for storage.(later use)

Diabetic folk can not.. it has nothing to do with sugar.. It has to do with insulin.

and the production and management of INSULIN..

The stupid sugar myth is just that,, a stupid myth,, stuff you tell little kids,,
    easter bunny poop
    Everybody's body is different, the pancreas can break from overwork like any other organ, some people have weaker pancreases than others, some people have weaker livers or hearts etc.

Also diabetes can involve insulin resistance in cells all over the body which can be caused by chronic abuse of your sugar metabolism.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Occurs naturally so it should be healthful, right? Mushrooms were once posted as a healthy "super food" here. Mushrooms can contain 25% Trehalose. It is also often blended with Stevia- also promoted here as a "healthier" sugar.

http://www.sugar-and-sweetener-guide.com/trehalose.html

It occurs in some seeds and fungi though it is not common in plants. Mushrooms contain up to 10–25 % by dry weight.

It is the main fuel used by insects in flight. Because their wings beat so fast and in order to enable them to produce sudden bursts of power nature has chosen this sugar for their blood. It is estimated that insects can use it twice as efficiently as Glucose.

It protects organisms from extremes of weather, such as freezing and drying out. The Resurrection Plant can withstand months without water because it contains abundant amounts of this sugar which protects the cells against damage in the difficult conditions.

Benefits:
    No great benefit as a sweetener, it is less than half as sweet as sugar and has a similar glycemic index. However it has a multitude of other uses and applications. It is an antioxidant, it acts as a natural preservative, it keeps food moist and helps preserve texture and flavour. In nature it has amazing qualities which seem to prevent damage to cells from drying out or freezing.

. In addition it has been found to inhibit the development of bacteria that cause body odor, so it may find use as a cosmetic.

Eye drops containing this sugar have proved useful in the treatment of dry eye syndrome.

It may even help to mitigate against insulin resistance and become a useful tool against the onset of diabetes. It has a hypoinsulinemic effect, the exact opposite of fructose. A 2010 trial showed significant improvement in triglyceride levels and insulin response in mice.
    Not usually sold on its own. A new product has arrived on the market called NewSweet. It consists of Trehalose sweetened with Stevia so that it can be used one for one with ordinary sugar. This would give it an effective glycemic index of 35, and it contains no fructose. However it still is sugar, so moderation is essential.

How Expensive?
    Very expensive! On the bulk market it is about 8 times the price of sugar by weight, and because it is less sweet it ends up about 16 times the price per unit of sweetness. Sells on Amazon for about $11 per pound.
    Trehalose Market Share:
    It has a tiny market share globally, hardly measurable.

Mushrooms were once posted as a healthy "super food" here.
    Link?

It is also often blended with Stevia- also promoted here as a "healthier" sugar.
    Link?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

What Does Sugar Do to Your Brain?

By Dr. Mercola

While all cells in your body can use glucose for energy, when you burn fat as your primary fuel your liver produces ketones that burn far "cleaner" in that they generate fewer reactive oxygen species (ROS) and secondary free radicals than sugars. The conventional view is that you need sugar or glucose to satisfy your energy needs, but only a very small amount of sugar is actually required. Because sugar represents calories, excessive consumption will negatively affect your health.

If you haven't given much thought to how much sugar you consume and what it may be doing to your health, now is the time to get educated. Overconsumption of sugar is increasingly being linked to brain-related health issues such as depression, learning disorders, memory problems and overeating.1

Your Body Recognizes Sugar as a 'Drug'
    Writing in The Atlantic, neuroendocrinologist Dr. Robert Lustig, professor of pediatrics in the division of endocrinology at University of California, San Francisco, states:2

"… [T]he [U.S.] war on drugs has taken a back seat, but not because it has been won. Rather, because a different war has cluttered the headlines — the war on obesity. And a substance even more insidious, I would argue, has supplanted cocaine and heroin.

The object of our current affliction is sugar. Who could have imagined something so innocent, so delicious, so irresistible … could propel America toward … medical collapse?"

Previous research3 involving humans and laboratory rats suggests consumption of sugar and sweets can trigger reward and craving states in your brain similar to addictive drugs. Not only can sugar and sweets substitute for drugs like cocaine, in terms of how your brain reacts to them, they can be even more rewarding.

The dramatic effects of sugar on your brain may explain why you may have difficultly controlling your consumption of sugary foods when continuously exposed to them. Another study4 suggests a high degree of overlap exists between brain regions involved in processing natural rewards, such as sugar and sweets, and drugs of abuse.

"'Non-drug' or 'behavioral' addictions have become increasingly documented … and pathologies include compulsive activities such as shopping, eating, exercising, sexual behavior and gambling. Like drug addiction, non-drug addictions manifest in symptoms including craving, impaired control over the behavior, tolerance, withdrawal and high rates of relapse."

The Biology of Your Brain: How Bad Habits Like Sugar Addiction Take Root
    An article published by CNN Health5 reminds us that the connection between your nucleus accumbens and prefrontal cortex drives intentional actions, such as deciding whether you will take another bite of chocolate cake, for example.

Your prefrontal cortex also activates hormones like dopamine, triggering thoughts such as, "Hey, this cake is really good. And I'm going to remember that for the future." Lustig explains the biological process that takes place when you consume sugar or any addictive substance:6

"The brain's pleasure center, called the nucleus accumbens, is essential for our survival as a species. … Turn off pleasure, and you turn off the will to live. But long-term stimulation of the pleasure center drives the process of addiction.

When you consume … sugar, your nucleus accumbens receives a dopamine signal, from which you experience pleasure. And so you consume more. The problem is with prolonged exposure, the signal … gets weaker. So you have to consume more to get the same effect — tolerance. And if you pull back on the substance, you go into withdrawal. Tolerance and withdrawal constitute addiction. And make no mistake, sugar is addictive."

Brain-injury survivor and author Debbie Hampton explains how habits are formed around addictive behaviors:7

"Every time you follow the same path, a specific pattern is activated and becomes more defined … and it becomes easier to activate the circuit the next time. … Pretty soon, the bad habit neuronal pathway becomes the unconscious default, and your brain, wanting to be efficient, just takes the easiest, most familiar route. This is particularly true in the case of depression.

In a depressed brain, there's less dopamine activity happening in the nucleus accumbens, which means that things that used to be enjoyable are not as pleasurable, and the only things that motivate it have to have a big dopamine payoff, which are the baddest of the bad habits, such as junk food, drugs, alcohol [and] gambling."

Brain Imaging Shows Food Addiction Is Real
    Research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition8 examined the effects of high-glycemic index (GI) foods on brain activity, using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI). Twelve overweight or obese men between the ages of 18 and 35 consumed one high-GI and one low-GI meal.

Imaging was completed four hours after each test meal to assess the cerebral blood flow as a measure of resting brain activity. The researchers expected brain activity to be greater after the high-GI meal in regions related to craving, eating behavior and reward. According to the researchers:

"Compared with a … low-GI meal, a high-GI meal decreased plasma glucose, increased hunger and selectively stimulated brain regions associated with reward and craving in the late postprandial period. … [T]he high-GI meal elicited greater brain activity centered in the right nucleus accumbens."

The study demonstrates what you may experience when eating a high-GI meal. After rapidly digesting net carbohydrates, your blood sugar initially spikes, followed by a sharp crash later. As noted by researchers, this crash in blood glucose stimulated greater brain activity in the nucleus accumbens, the brain's pleasure center Lustig mentioned above.

Can Too Much Sugar Contribute to Alzheimer's Disease?
    While insulin is usually associated with its role in keeping your blood sugar levels in a healthy range, it also plays a role in brain signaling. In one animal study, when researchers disrupted the proper signaling of insulin in the brain, they were able to induce many of the characteristic brain changes seen with Alzheimer's disease, including confusion, disorientation and the inability to learn and remember.9

It's becoming increasingly clear that the same pathological process that leads to insulin and leptin resistance, as well as type 2 diabetes, may also hold true for your brain. As you overindulge on sugar and grains, your brain becomes overwhelmed by the consistently high levels of insulin. Eventually insulin, leptin and signaling become profoundly disrupted, leading to impairments in your memory and thinking abilities.

A study published in Diabetes Care found that type 2 diabetes is associated with a 60 percent increased risk of dementia in men and women.10 Research featured in the New England Journal of Medicine noted a mild elevation of blood sugar, such as a level of 105 or 110, is also associated with an elevated risk for dementia.11

Dr. David Perlmutter, neurologist and author of the books "Brain Maker" and "Grain Brain," believes Alzheimer's disease is primarily predicated on lifestyle choices, including sugar consumption. He suggests anything that promotes insulin resistance will ultimately also raise your risk of Alzheimer's.

Glucose and Fructose: How Do They Affect Your Brain?
    Increases in processed fructose consumption, typically in the form of high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), seem to be running parallel to the spikes seen in obesity rates, so much so that diets high in it are thought to promote insulin resistance and weight gain. The Journal of the American Medical Association featured a study12 involving 20 adult volunteers who underwent magnetic resonance imaging sessions at Yale University to identify neurophysiological factors related to fructose versus glucose consumption.

The research suggests fructose — a type of sugar commonly extracted from corn and found in sweetened products like soda — may activate brain pathways that increase your interest in food, whereas glucose ingestion appears to trigger your brain's satiation signal, effectively telling you "you've had enough." When participants ingested glucose and were then shown food pictures, their brains registered increased measures of satiety and fullness. The researchers noted:

"Glucose … ingestion reduced the activation of the hypothalamus, insula and striatum — brain regions that regulate appetite, motivation and reward processing; glucose ingestion also increased functional connections between the hypothalamic-striatal network and increased satiety."

In contrast, when the participants consumed fructose and were presented with images of food, more activity was noted in the orbitofrontal cortex, an area linked to increased motivation to seek out rewards, such as drugs or food.13

Subsequent research,14 presented in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, went a step further to investigate the effects of sugar on food-approach behavior. After ingesting either fructose or glucose, 24 volunteers underwent two fMRI sessions while viewing pictures of high-calorie foods and nonfood items in a block format.

After each block, participants were asked to rate their hunger and desire for food, as well as perform a decision task. The decision task involved choosing between an immediate food reward or a delayed monetary bonus. Hormone levels were measured at baseline and 30 and 60 minutes after the sugars were consumed. The authors of the study noted:

"Parallel to the neuroimaging findings, fructose versus glucose led to greater hunger and desire for food and a greater willingness to give up long-term monetary rewards to obtain immediate high-calorie foods. These findings suggest ingestion of fructose relative to glucose results in greater activation of brain regions involved in attention and reward processing, and may promote feeding behavior."

Both of these studies underscore the importance of paying attention to the type of sugars you consume. Clearly, fructose disrupts your brain's signaling mechanism that is designed to tell you when you've had enough. Because fructose fails to stimulate insulin, which in turn fails to suppress ghrelin, or "your hunger hormone," which then fails to stimulate leptin or "your satiety hormone," you are likely to eat more and develop insulin resistance when consuming fructose.

The second body of research seems to indicate fructose intake can influence you to act impulsively with respect to food, consuming more and more of it even when your body should have told you it's had enough. As you may imagine, continuing to consume large amounts of fructose will become increasingly problematic if you've already developed a bad habit of overeating.

Fructose Packs on the Pounds Faster Than Any Other Nutrient
    Because fructose is often consumed in liquid form, mostly as HFCS, its negative metabolic effects are even further magnified. Energy drinks, fruit juices, soda and sports drinks, as well as countless other sweetened beverages, contain HFCS. Like all fructose, HFCS is metabolized as body fat far more rapidly than any other sugar.

Similar to alcohol, the entire burden of metabolizing fructose falls to your liver. This severely taxes and overloads it, introducing the possibility of liver damage. Fructose also promotes a particularly dangerous kind of body fat called adipose fat. This type of fat collects in your abdominal region and is associated with a greater risk of heart disease.

Although HFCS has about the same amount of fructose as cane sugar, it is in a "free" form that is not attached to any other carbs. In contrast, fructose in fruits and cane sugar is bonded to other sugars, resulting in a decrease in metabolic toxicity. Consuming foods containing high amounts of fructose — even if it's a natural product — is the fastest way to trash your health. Among the health problems you invite when you consume high amounts of fructose are:

Arthritis, cancer, gout and heart disease
    Insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, obesity and type 2 diabetes
    Elevated blood pressure, LDL (bad) cholesterol, triglycerides and uric acid levels
    Liver disease, especially non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
    In addition, unbound fructose, found in large quantities in HFCS, can interfere with your heart's use of minerals like chromium, copper and magnesium. Furthermore, as you likely know, HFCS is most often made from genetically engineered corn, which is fraught with its own well-documented health concerns and side effects, many of which are linked to glyphosate or Roundup residues.

How to Manage and/or Limit Your Sugar Consumption
    Sugar, in its natural form, is not inherently bad when consumed in amounts that allow you to burn fat as your primary fuel. However, you should avoid all sources of processed fructose, particularly processed foods and beverages like soda. According to SugarScience.org, 74 percent of processed foods purchased from the grocery store contain added sugar.15

Other sources have suggested it may be as high as 80 percent. I recommend your diet be composed chiefly of naturally occurring whole foods, with 10 percent or less coming from processed foods.

I also recommend severely limiting your consumption of refined carbohydrates found in cereal, bread, pasta and other grain-based foods, as they break down to sugar in your body, which increases your insulin levels and causes insulin resistance. As a general recommendation, I suggest you keep your total fructose consumption below 25 grams per day, including whole fruit. Keep in mind while fruits are rich in nutrients and antioxidants, they naturally contain fructose.

If consumed in high amounts (especially if you are not burning fat as your primary fuel), fructose from fruit worsens your insulin sensitivity and raises your uric acid levels. Also, be sure to avoid artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose due to the health problems associated with them, which are worse than those associated with corn syrup and sugar. Below are some additional tips to help you manage and/or limit your sugar consumption:

• Increase your consumption of healthy fats, such as omega-3, saturated and monounsaturated fats. Your body needs health-promoting fats from animal and plant sources for optimal functioning. In fact, emerging evidence suggests healthy fats should make up at least 60 to 85 percent of your daily calories.

Some of the best sources include avocado, coconut oil, free-range eggs, organic butter from raw milk, raw nuts like macadamia and pecans, (unheated) virgin olive oil and wild Alaskan salmon.

• Drink pure, clean water. Drinking pure water instead of sugary beverages like fruit juice and soda will go a long way toward improving your health. The best way to gauge your water needs is to observe the color of your urine — it should be light-pale yellow — and the frequency of your bathroom visits should be around seven to eight times per day.

• Add fermented foods to your meals. The beneficial bacteria in fermented foods will aid your digestion and provide detoxification support, lessening the fructose burden on your liver. Some of the best choices include fermented vegetables, kefir made from grass fed milk, kimchi, natto and organic yogurt made from raw grass fed milk.

• Use the Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT). Join Julie Schiffman in a short EFT-video session to tap your way free from a sugar addiction.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...in-health.aspx

Brain Imaging Shows Food Addiction Is Real

Yup,, and water too ..
    You are definitely addicted to water.

Food and water addictions are pretty common.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom