Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Popular Sugar Additive May Have Fueled the Spread of Two Superbugs

A Popular Sugar Additive May Have Fueled the Spread of Two Superbugs

https://science.slashdot.org/story/1...-two-superbugs

Two bacterial strains that have plagued hospitals around the country may have been at least partly fueled by a sugar additive in our food products, scientists say. Trehalose, a sugar that is added to a wide range of food products, could have allowed certain strains of Clostridium difficile to become far more virulent than they were before, a new study finds. The results, described in the journal Nature, highlight the unintended consequences of introducing otherwise harmless additives to the food supply.

Nearly half a million people were sickened by C. difficile in 2011, when it was directly linked to 15,000 deaths. "The misuse and overuse of antibiotics has long been thought to be responsible for the rise of many kinds of antibiotic-resistant 'superbug'," notes the article, before citing a researcher who now believes "the circumstantial and experimental evidence points to trehalose as an unexpected culprit."
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    InB4 Zippy and angelatc

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Oh yum...

Trehalose, also known as mycose, is a 1-alpha (disaccharide) sugar found extensively but not abundantly in nature. It is thought to be implicated in anhydrobiosis - the ability of plants and animals to withstand prolonged periods of desiccation. The sugar is thought to form a gel phase as cells dehydrate, which prevents disruption of internal cell organelles by effectively splinting them in position. Rehydration then allows normal cellular activity to be resumed without the major, generally lethal damage that would normally follow a dehydration/reyhdration cycle. Trehalose is a non-reducing sugar formed from two glucose units joined by a 1-1 alpha bond giving it the name of alpha-D-glucopyranoglucopyranosyl-1, 1-alpha-D-glucopyranoside. The bonding makes trehalose very resistant to acid hydrolysis, and therefore stable in solution at high temperatures even under acidic conditions. The bonding also keeps non-reducing sugars in closed-ring form, such that the aldehyde or ketone end-groups do not bind to the lysine or arginine residues of proteins (a process called glycation). The enzyme trehalase, present but not abundant in most people, breaks it into two glucose molecules, which can then be readily absorbed in the gut. Trehalose is an important components of insects circulating fluid. It acts as a storage form of insect circulating fluid and it is important in respiration.
    https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/com...se#section=Top

Treha™
    Specialty sweetener trehalose
    Contact Us

Trehalose is an ideal ingredient for generating exciting market possibilities for your latest product concepts and also for adding new life to existing food and beverage brands. Trehalose, a diglucose sugar found in nature, confers to certain plant and animal cells the ability to survive dehydration for decades and to restore activity soon after rehydration. This observation has led to the use of trehalose as excipient during freeze drying of a variety of products in the pharmaceutical industry and as an ingredient for dried, baked and processed food, as well as a non-toxic cryoprotectant of vaccines and organs for surgical transplants.

It is especially well suited for sweetening nutritional drinks and other energy products used by consumers as part of their daily eating habits. As a multi-functional sugar with nearly half the sweetness of sucrose, trehalose will strongly improve the taste, texture and appeal of your foods and beverages. Trehalose can bring out the best in your products and your processes, enhancing functionality and improving stability in several key ways.
    https://www.cargill.com/food-bev/emea/sweeteners/treha
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I think all refined sugar type products are dangerous. Even natural sugar should be used very sparingly. Our bodies are designed make it's own DNA brand of sugar consuming sugar interferes with this very vital function of the body. If I could make one substance highly controlled it would be sugar. If I could stop you from doing one thing it would be consuming all sugar and sugar like products. I am absolutely convinced that sugar is the most deadly substance being put into food. I am sure it is more harmful than any natural drug. Sugar is the reason that alcohol is actually more deadly than opium or cacao. Yes it is but, you have to totally understand the bodily process of making it's on sugar to understand why. Opium and cocaine in it's unrefined state do not interfere with the sugar making process of the body. Refined sugar consumption is the cause of diabetes.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I think all refined sugar type products are dangerous. Even natural sugar should be used very sparingly. Our bodies are designed make it's own DNA brand of sugar consuming sugar interferes with this very vital function of the body. If I could make one substance highly controlled it would be sugar. If I could stop you from doing one thing it would be consuming all sugar and sugar like products. I am absolutely convinced that sugar is the most deadly substance being put into food. I am sure it is more harmful than any natural drug. Sugar is the reason that alcohol is actually more deadly than opium or cacao. Yes it is but, you have to totally understand the bodily process of making it's on sugar to understand why. Opium and cocaine in it's unrefined state do not interfere with the sugar making process of the body. Refined sugar consumption is the cause of diabetes.
    More importantly, I see the major contributor of diabetes as the chemical poison aspartame.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    More importantly, I see the major contributor of diabetes as the chemical poison aspartame.
    I am sure it does not help diabetes and probably does make it worse. Diabetes will never be cured as long as the treatment fails to support the bodies ability to make it's own DNA brand of sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    InB4 Zippy and angelatc
    I am having a sugar free meatloaf and potatoes tonight so I am good .

I think you are a little too extreme but otherwise correct, the body is designed to process sugar in the diet but it should be the smallest component of your diet, sugar is the least beneficial and most dangerous form of calories.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I think you are a little too extreme but otherwise correct, the body is designed to process sugar in the diet but it should be the smallest component of your diet, sugar is the least beneficial and most dangerous form of calories.
    Someone needs to be extreme about it. Look how many people are fat, have diabetes, are wheel chair bound, and have heart conditions and are carrying around oxygen tanks. If science is so smart how come the general population his getting sicker instead of healthier?

If and when you ever decide to take sugar out of your diet and then eat it after you have cleaned out your body you will be able to tell what it does to you. Most people do not realize until they fo without it for awhile how much it can make pain occur in the body. I think any one in chronic pain should stop eating sweeteners of all kinds. It could probably help to end pain pill dependency. But people are convinced they have to have it

Occurs naturally so it should be healthful, right? Mushrooms were once posted as a healthy "super food" here. Mushrooms can contain 25% Trehalose. It is also often blended with Stevia- also promoted here as a "healthier" sugar.

http://www.sugar-and-sweetener-guide.com/trehalose.html

It occurs in some seeds and fungi though it is not common in plants. Mushrooms contain up to 10–25 % by dry weight.

It is the main fuel used by insects in flight. Because their wings beat so fast and in order to enable them to produce sudden bursts of power nature has chosen this sugar for their blood. It is estimated that insects can use it twice as efficiently as Glucose.

It protects organisms from extremes of weather, such as freezing and drying out. The Resurrection Plant can withstand months without water because it contains abundant amounts of this sugar which protects the cells against damage in the difficult conditions.

Benefits:
    No great benefit as a sweetener, it is less than half as sweet as sugar and has a similar glycemic index. However it has a multitude of other uses and applications. It is an antioxidant, it acts as a natural preservative, it keeps food moist and helps preserve texture and flavour. In nature it has amazing qualities which seem to prevent damage to cells from drying out or freezing.

. In addition it has been found to inhibit the development of bacteria that cause body odor, so it may find use as a cosmetic.

Eye drops containing this sugar have proved useful in the treatment of dry eye syndrome.

It may even help to mitigate against insulin resistance and become a useful tool against the onset of diabetes. It has a hypoinsulinemic effect, the exact opposite of fructose. A 2010 trial showed significant improvement in triglyceride levels and insulin response in mice.
    Not usually sold on its own. A new product has arrived on the market called NewSweet. It consists of Trehalose sweetened with Stevia so that it can be used one for one with ordinary sugar. This would give it an effective glycemic index of 35, and it contains no fructose. However it still is sugar, so moderation is essential.

How Expensive?
    Very expensive! On the bulk market it is about 8 times the price of sugar by weight, and because it is less sweet it ends up about 16 times the price per unit of sweetness. Sells on Amazon for about $11 per pound.
    Trehalose Market Share:
    It has a tiny market share globally, hardly measurable.

Refined sugar consumption is the cause of diabetes.
    Where to people get this from?

I have heard this complete bull$#@! for years..

Diabetes is the inability to properly control sugar.. It is not caused by sugar.

The human body runs on sugar.. You would die without it,, or if you body does not control it properly.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Diabetes will never be cured as long as the treatment fails to support the bodies ability to make it's own DNA brand of sugar.
    Diabetes will never be cured as long as the population can be milked for treatments.
    Lots of dependent people ,, lots of $$$. A cure would be a certain loss of profits.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post

Diabetes is the inability to properly control sugar.. It is not caused by sugar.

The human body runs on sugar.. You would die without it,, or if you body does not control it properly.
    Too much of anything is bad.

Too much of anything is bad.
    Sugar Rush.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Diabetes will never be cured as long as the population can be milked for treatments.
    Lots of dependent people ,, lots of $$$. A cure would be a certain loss of profits.
    Oh I will agree, but it doesn't just stop at diabetes.

However, there is plenty of information out there as to what the chemical artificial sweeteners does to the pancreas.

How does Aspartame affect the pancreas in diabetic patients?

Roberts suggests, “There can be several outcomes. First, patients might be making too much insulin and can have severe hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) attacks. Aspartame can release almost as much insulin as glucose.

It has been known for many years that oral and intravenous phenylalanine and other amino acids cause marked elevation of insulin. In my books, I go into this in great detail. On the one hand, we are talking about the stimulation of more insulin and hypoglycemia. Further study is needed to determine whether, over the long term, this will over stimulate the islets that make insulin.

The other aspect is the diabetogenic state and loss of diabetic control through various mechanisms that include the wasting of insulin, the impairment of glucose transport, the increase of the growth hormone and glucagon, and perhaps blocking insulin receptors.”

Why does Aspartame seem to aggravate diabetes?

Roberts states “Some of the reasons/mechanisms Aspartame might aggravate diabetes and hypoglycemia includes the following:

-Marked changes in appetite and weight as reflected by paradoxic weight gain or severe loss of weight.

-Excessive insulin secretion and depletion of the insulin reserve

-Possible alteration of cellular receptor sites for insulin, with ensuing insulin resistance

-Neurotransmitter alterations within the brain and peripheral nerves

-The toxicity of each of the three components of aspartame (phenylalanine; aspartic acid: the methylester, which promptly becomes methyl alcohol or methanol), and their multiple breakdown products after exposure to heat or during prolonged storage.”
    http://www.healthy-holistic-living.c...-diabetes.html

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Oh I will agree, but it doesn't just stop at diabetes.

However, there is plenty of information out there as to what the chemical artificial sweeteners does to the pancreas.

http://www.healthy-holistic-living.c...-diabetes.html
    Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners are not good for you. And I avoid them,, but I do run on Sugar..

Sugar Caffeine and phosphoric acid,, in a red can.. General running mix.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

If you constantly overuse your sugar metabolism you can break it and cause diabetes, however moderate to light sugar consumption will not cause diabetes even with occasional heavy consumption. (such as a dessert or some candy)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

If you constantly overuse your sugar metabolism you can break it and cause diabetes, however moderate to light sugar consumption will not cause diabetes even with occasional heavy consumption. (such as a dessert or some candy)
    diabetes is a disease of the pancreas,

Healthy people can manage sugar ..and turning carbs into sugar,, and turning fat into sugar,, Though usually an over abundance turns sugars into fats for storage.(later use)

Diabetic folk can not.. it has nothing to do with sugar.. It has to do with insulin.

and the production and management of INSULIN..

The stupid sugar myth is just that,, a stupid myth,, stuff you tell little kids,,
    easter bunny poop
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

diabetes is a disease of the pancreas,

Healthy people can manage sugar ..and turning carbs into sugar,, and turning fat into sugar,, Though usually an over abundance turns sugars into fats for storage.(later use)

Diabetic folk can not.. it has nothing to do with sugar.. It has to do with insulin.

and the production and management of INSULIN..

The stupid sugar myth is just that,, a stupid myth,, stuff you tell little kids,,
    easter bunny poop
    Everybody's body is different, the pancreas can break from overwork like any other organ, some people have weaker pancreases than others, some people have weaker livers or hearts etc.

Also diabetes can involve insulin resistance in cells all over the body which can be caused by chronic abuse of your sugar metabolism.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Mushrooms were once posted as a healthy "super food" here.
    Link?

It is also often blended with Stevia- also promoted here as a "healthier" sugar.
    Link?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

chronic abuse of your sugar metabolism.
    Explain that. How could you possibly "abuse" your metabolism.

No sugar,, you die.
    Too much sugar,, after the sugar rush,, it turns to fat.
    Everything you eat is turned into sugar. Potatoes do not get into the bloodstream any other way.

Your body runs on sugar,,
    lack of sugar,, you die..
    Too much sugar,, you get fat.

Sugar is NOT the cause..
    Insulin is the problem. Too much or not enough.
    it's a management issue.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Explain that. How could you possibly "abuse" your metabolism.

No sugar,, you die.
    Too much sugar,, after the sugar rush,, it turns to fat.
    Everything you eat is turned into sugar. Potatoes do not get into the bloodstream any other way.

Your body runs on sugar,,
    lack of sugar,, you die..
    Too much sugar,, you get fat.

Sugar is NOT the cause..
    Insulin is the problem. Too much or not enough.
    it's a management issue.
    The pancreas must produce the insulin, like all your organs it has a maximum capacity and peak cruising capacity, if you run it at or beyond it's maximum capacity for too long it will take damage, and if you don't give it a rest occasionally (with a fast or at least a period of low sugar intake) it won't be able to repair itself and the damage will accumulate until it breaks completely and then you get diabetes from chronic sugar abuse just like an alcoholic destroys their liver even though the body can process some alcohol.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The pancreas must produce the insulin, like all your organs it has a maximum capacity and peak cruising capacity, if you run it at or beyond it's maximum capacity for too long it will take damage, and if you don't give it a rest occasionally (with a fast or at least a period of low sugar intake) it won't be able to repair itself and the damage will accumulate until it breaks completely and then you get diabetes from chronic sugar abuse just like an alcoholic destroys their liver even though the body can process some alcohol.
    Sounds like a sick pancreas.

Perhaps attention should be put into cures for the pancreas. Though I have another thought,,

What if you wanted to create a huge base of Drug Dependent people..?

I have known one person (only one) who defeated Diabetes and broke the insulin dependence.
    But I know it can be done..
    Faith,, Determination and discipline.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Sounds like a sick pancreas.

Perhaps attention should be put into cures for the pancreas. Though I have another thought,,

What if you wanted to create a huge base of Drug Dependent people..?

I have known one person (only one) who defeated Diabetes and broke the insulin dependence.
    But I know it can be done..
    Faith,, Determination and discipline
    Along with exercising and reducing excessive sugar consumption.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Along with exercising and reducing excessive sugar consumption.
    a very strict diet,, and that is discipline.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar
    Sugar is NOT the cause..
    the more sugar you eat the less your body will make of it's own. The sugar your body makes is part of the transportation of hormones and even nutrients to the rest of the body. Your cells and organs don't recognize refined sugar as part of it's self because it does not have your dna in it. I am trying to make this really simple when to completely describe the process would take a book. No part of the body can properly function without it making it's own sugar. Your body makes it's own sugar when you feed it properly. Refined sugar plays a part of almost every major illness it is evil and the people who make it know this but, it keeps the medical industrial complex very busy making more poison. This system does not want you to be healthy or to live a long life it wants you to eat lots of refined sugar.

the more sugar you eat the less your body will make of it's own. .
    Actually,, the more calories you burn,, the more sugar you need.. regardless of the source.. a loaf of bread will be turned to sugar..
    That steak will be turned to sugar,, the minerals from food absorbed,, the rest gets converted.
    It either gets turned to sugar or expelled undigested..

The human body runs on sugar..

Normally,, it is regulated. the conversion processes.

Having a problem with sugar is abnormal..

Sugar is not the problem refined or not,,, and diabetes is not caused by sugar,, It was around long before refined sugar..
    People just did not survive it long without controlling it themselves.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Actually,, the more calories you burn,, the more sugar you need.. regardless of the source.. a loaf of bread will be turned to sugar..
    That steak will be turned to sugar,, the minerals from food absorbed,, the rest gets converted.
    It either gets turned to sugar or expelled undigested..

The human body runs on sugar..

Normally,, it is regulated. the conversion processes.

Having a problem with sugar is abnormal..

Sugar is not the problem refined or not,,, and diabetes is not caused by sugar,, It was around long before refined sugar..
    People just did not survive it long without controlling it themselves.
    I doubt that you were around before they started refining sugar. Your body may be able to burn consumed sugar if you are pretty active. But I guarantee you that it will not make as much of it's own sugar and your endocrine system will greatly suffer if you don't burn it up. Then all of your major organs will be affected because the hormonal system or endocrine system if you will will not carry the hormonal messages or deliver nutrient to the organs if it does not make enough of it's own sugar..

I doubt that you were around before they started refining sugar. Your body may be able to burn consumed sugar if you are pretty active. But I guarantee you that it will not make as much of it's own sugar and your endocrine system will greatly suffer if you don't burn it up. Then all of your major organs will be affected because the hormonal system or endocrine system if you will will not carry the hormonal messages or deliver nutrient to the organs if it does not make enough of it's own sugar..
    Everything you eat is sugar,, or will be turned into sugar so your body can burn it. (fuel)
    If your Pancreas does not control sugar properly.. You have a problem.
    You either inject insulin manually,, to control your sugar. Or you control it through a disciplined diet and life.

If your pancreas is healthy and normal.. it controls sugar.

MY POINT WAS>>>
    Sugar does NOT CAUSE diabetes..
    That is a lie told to children so they don't pig out on sugar.

It is as false and stupid as the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause. and it annoys me every time I see otherwise intelligent people repeating this bull$#@!.

Diabetes is a serious condition.. the inability to naturally regulate sugar.(not caused by)

It seems that it is much more profitable to treat the symptoms,, than to cure the pancreas.

It is a lifetime enslavement to the Drug Dealer.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 01-10-2018 at 01:59 PM.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Everything you eat is sugar,, or will be turned into sugar so your body can burn it. (fuel)
    If your Pancreas does not control sugar properly.. You have a problem.
    You either inject insulin manually,, to control your sugar. Or you control it through a disciplined diet and life.

If your pancreas is healthy and normal.. it controls sugar.

MY POINT WAS>>>
    Sugar does NOT CAUSE diabetes..
    That is a lie told to children so they don't pig out on sugar.

It is as false and stupid as the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause. and it annoys me every time I see otherwise intelligent people repeating this bull$#@!.

Diabetes is a serious condition.. the inability to naturally regulate sugar.(not caused by)

It seems that it is much more profitable to treat the symptoms,, than to cure the pancreas.

It is a lifetime enslavement to the Drug Dealer.
    Of course it is more profitable to not cure it. Sugar it the gift that keeps on giving to the medical industrial complex. Your body slows down on making it own DNA brand of sugar if sugar is consumed with any regularity. Refined sugar is highly addictive. It should be illegal to refine it but it never will be because of how addictive it is making very very attractive to the medical industrial complex. The same thing is being done to salt.

As far as diet goes I make every attempt to be disciplined. I am acutely aware of what so called food stuff does to me. I know what sugar does to me. It makes my body hurt all over. It is why I try to not eat it. However, I will still eat it when I am at my DiL's home. Then I pay. I don't go see them as often as I would like because of it. I know it is bad for me. I protest when my DiL puts one of her awesome desserts in front of me. I eat it anyway. I know if someone like me who is very aware can't make myself not eat that dessert then I don't have to wonder at the growing number of obese children and adults or the rising of diabetes. I barely eat fruits because of the sugar. I eat stuff that my body can use to make it's own sugar. I rarely actually crave sugar if I do that is when I will eat a piece of fruit. Yet I will eat that dessert.

It seems that my family has a lot of obesity and numerous serious heath problems. I don't want to be obese or weak or sick. Every single heath problem I have ever had can be traced to consuming sugar that my body did not make with the exception of be forced to take a vaccine by my mother and the family doctor. Vaccines make my whole body go completely haywire and look out if I eat sugar on top of it. Now there is also the high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners being added to even more so called foods. I can't believe that we are still alive. You can call me stupid I am not stupid I am deeply in touch with my body maybe your body can consume goobs of sugar and never be sick my can't. I do challenge anybody to try a sugar fast and see if your health improves. I have been called nut case, crazy, stupid, ignorant ect all my life but actually my real name is Lisa....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast