Thread: Iceland just made it illegal to pay men more than women

Exclamation Iceland just made it illegal to pay men more than women

Iceland just made it illegal to pay men more than women

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/icelan...l-pay-11789693

Firms that employ more than 25 people must now obtain a government certificate demonstrating pay equality, or they will face fines

A European country has become the first in the world to make it illegal to pay men more than women.

In Iceland, firms that employ more than 25 people must now obtain a government certificate demonstrating pay equality, under new rules that kicked in on 1 January.

Those who fail to show equality will face penalty fines, according to broadcaster Al Jazeera.

The law was announced on March 8 on International Women's Day 2017 as part of the Nordic country's drive to eradicate the gender pay gap by 2022.

It comes after the UK reported a 16.9% pay gap between men and women in 2017.

Iceland, which has a population of around 323,000 people, has been ranked the best in the world for gender equality by the World Economic Forum for nine years in a row.

Dagny Osk Aradottir Pind, of the Icelandic Women's Rights Association, told Al Jazeera: "The legislation is basically a mechanism that companies and organisations ... evaluate every job that's being done, and then they get a certification after they confirm the process if they are paying men and women equally."

"It's a mechanism to ensure women and men are being paid equally.

"We have had legislation saying that pay should be equal for men and women for decades now but we still have a pay gap," she added.

"I think that now people are starting to realise that this is a systematic problem that we have to tackle with new methods.

"Women have been talking about this for decades and I really feel that we have managed to raise awareness, and we have managed to get to the point that people realise that the legislation we have had in place is not working, and we need to do something more."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

evaluate every job that's being done
    That is a logistical and paperwork nightmare.

And that is assuming this accounts for exact comparisons of productivity, quality, experience and certifications.

If not, that simply means that if I have more experience, higher productivity and produce higher quality work I cannot, by law, be paid more, because vagina.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    That is a logistical and paperwork nightmare.

And that is assuming this accounts for exact comparisons of productivity, quality, experience and certifications....
    And you can guarantee that enforcement and prosecution of this law will be at best arbitrary, but more likely, politically or vendetta motivated.
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries

I would fire all women and only employ men, thereby eliminating the possibility of pay inequality.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    I would fire all women and only employ men, thereby eliminating the possibility of pay inequality.
    More and more that is going to happen, in subtle unseen ways, in order not to go to prison.

As a man who was always salaried it would not bother me . I would though compile an avg of the hours a week the ladies worked including all the extra days of work they missed , all the times they left early etc and let my boss know I was now a 32 hr a week worker and no longer a 50 plus hr a week worker . Then I would thank him and tell him I also self Identify as a black woman on any days he thought of firing me . Personally , I never worked anywhere it was an issue .
    Last edited by oyarde; 01-03-2018 at 05:12 PM.

One of the companies I worked for paid the men more. When the woman doing that job found out she found a better job and left ASAP. Taking her sales skills somewhere where they were appreciated.
    * Enforce Border Security – America should be guarding her own borders and enforcing her own laws instead of policing the world and implementing UN mandates.

* No Amnesty - The Obama Administration’s endorsement of so-called “Comprehensive Immigration Reform,” granting amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants, will only encourage more law-breaking.

* Abolish the Welfare State – Taxpayers cannot continue to pay the high costs to sustain this powerful incentive for illegal immigration. As Milton Friedman famously said, you can’t have open borders and a welfare state.

* End Birthright Citizenship – As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be granted U.S. citizenship, we’ll never be able to control our immigration problem.

Reprinted from http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/immigration/ [Nov. 29, 2011]

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    One of the companies I worked for paid the men more. When the woman doing that job found out she found a better job and left ASAP. Taking her sales skills somewhere where they were appreciated.
    If women (all women) were really making 15-20% less across the board for the same work, then anybody could open a company and hire only women and save 15-20% on their employment costs, run their competitors out of business and take over the world (at least within that industry).

.....but they don't, so they can't...
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    You are right. Maternity leave, equal pay laws, sexual harassment laws, etc all discourage hiring women. Those laws contribute to that worthless pay gap stat leftists cite far more than sexism.