Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amazon is worse than Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    1) Amazon made $596 and $2370 in 2015 and 2016, which are excluded from the graphic
    2) Amazon is forward-thinking and has invested what would be profits into expansion and ultimately domination, rather than just being content with sending current profits back to shareholders. And if you want to see what the market thinks about the success of said investments, just look at the exploding stock price.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Neocon View Post
    Amazon is forward-thinking and has invested what would be profits into expansion and ultimately domination, rather than just being content with sending current profits back to shareholders.
    Profits that they reinvest in the company are still profits though, not "would be profits."

But you make a good point. The chart only compares one variable, profits. It would tell a totally different story if they used a different one like market cap.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    No kidding. Read A Year Without "Made in China".
    The families in China die from starvation, children become prostitutes and the American lower classes are burdened with more expensive goods?
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

pcgame

Tom Woods: Ep. 951 Is Amazon Evil?

https://tomwoods.com/ep-951-is-amazon-evil/

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Neocon View Post
    1) Amazon made $596 and $2370 in 2015 and 2016, which are excluded from the graphic
    2) Amazon is forward-thinking and has invested what would be profits into expansion and ultimately domination, rather than just being content with sending current profits back to shareholders. And if you want to see what the market thinks about the success of said investments, just look at the exploding stock price.
    Laser thin profits. Creative accounting much?

Investors continue to give a pass on Amazon's laser-thin profits. Operating profit dropped in all three major segments, by 40 percent in total to $347 million, as operating expenses grew 45 percent from a year ago. That resulted in an operating margin of just 0.8%, the lowest since September 2014.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/26/amaz...s-q3-2017.html

Amazon tries to strong-arm its sellers all the time. . . talk about greedy !!!

Famous case brought by book publishers highlights this exactly.

They wont see my money, ever.

$#@! Amazon, Whole Foods, WaPo and all other of Bozos empire.

Won't see me in Walmart, either.
    Last edited by Dark_Horse_Rider; 12-31-2017 at 03:36 PM.

How much of Amazon is supported by Govt Subsidies?

To put that in perspective, Amazon is being compared to Walmart, who we have different ways of looking at being subsidized by govt. They've both got numerous problems, just one is how little they pay. When people are not able to live on what they are paid, they have no choice but to look elsewhere to fill in the gaps. Sometimes it comes from family and friends and the community, but far too often people are left with no choice but to apply for Welfare in its various forms. Food Stamps, Medicaid, Financial Assistance, etc.

Amazon in many ways is WORSE than Walmart because it pretty much ONLY hires Temporary Employees who are treated as punching bags then disposed of. The quotas they set are literally unobtainable. People have DIED due to being over worked and in severe work conditions. It is not unheard of for Amazon employees to literally $#@! their pants and continue working just to make their quotas. After that, they are still kicked to the curb since it is a temporary job to begin with. The company is absolutely predatory on the lowest classes of people who often have no choice but to either tolerate their destructive working conditions or to literally starve to death. The only alternative is some sort of Welfare. Thus, the practices that Amazon has against its employees are literally subsidized by govt.

Amazon hires people thru a Temp Agency so the employees are not considered employees of Amazon itself but rather the Temp Agency, in order to legally avoid any responsibility as much as it possibly can. The main Amazon Distribution Center for the US is about 20 miles from where I live so I meet people who have been trapped in Amazons warehouse quite frequently, and these are only SOME of the things I have heard about how Amazon treats people.

Big enough to compete with Walmart and a TENTH of the employees, which means every person working there is working TEN TIMES as hard as people at Walmarx whose training includes telling customers to "go to their website" because they literally have no other training in anything.

If this is what Financial Recovery means, maybe we should seriously reconsider who is benefiting and who is suffering. Spoiler, it aint Main Street that is doing any better...
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Big enough to compete with Walmart and a TENTH of the employees, which means every person working there is working TEN TIMES as hard as people at Walmarx whose training includes telling customers to "go to their website" because they literally have no other training in anything.
    Different types of business. WalMart needs warehouses and distribution and Amazon needs warehouses and distribution. Amazon lacks physical stores. Those require additional employees- to stock and check out purchases. Warehouse work is easier to automate as well- requiring fewer workers. Both exploit their workers and demand concessions from suppliers and take advantage of any tax breaks they can. Like any business, their goal is to lower costs as much as they can and maximize their profits.

But consumers want cheap goods so they spend lots of money with both of them- Amazon tends to be younger, and higher income customers while WalMart customers tend to be a bit older and lower income.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-31-2017 at 06:31 PM.

https://www.healthcare-now.org/blog/...ime-employees/

Wal-Mart to End Health Insurance for Part-Time Employees

Walmart Stores, the world’s largest retailer and the nation’s largest private employer, said on Tuesday that it would terminate health insurance coverage for about 30,000 part-time workers, joining a string of retailers that have rolled back benefits in response to the Affordable Care Act.

Starting on Jan. 1, Walmart will no longer offer insurance to employees working less than an average of 30 hours a week, a move the retailer said was in response to an unexpected rise in health care costs.

“This year, the expenses were significant and led us to make some tough decisions,” Sally Welborn, Walmart’s senior vice president for global benefits, said in a blog post announcing the changes.

Is Zippy powered by Alexa?

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    On the other hand,, now part time employees can get FULL Time positions with FULL Benefits.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Horse_Rider View Post
    Amazon tries to strong-arm its sellers all the time. . . talk about greedy !!!

Famous case brought by book publishers highlights this exactly.

They wont see my money, ever.

$#@! Amazon, Whole Foods, WaPo and all other of Bozos empire.

Won't see me in Walmart, either.
    Is this sarcasm?

Or do you actually think that their offering you goods at lower prices is a good reason not to shop there?

That's another good point about why Obamacare is bad.

That is the point you meant to make. Right?

Different types of business. WalMart needs warehouses and distribution and Amazon needs warehouses and distribution. Amazon lacks physical stores. Those require additional employees- to stock and check out purchases. Warehouse work is easier to automate as well- requiring fewer workers. Both exploit their workers and demand concessions from suppliers and take advantage of any tax breaks they can. Like any business, their goal is to lower costs as much as they can and maximize their profits.
    I just had to stop and reflect on these seven sentences one at a time and consider how ridiculously obvious each one was.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    That's another good point about why Obamacare is bad.

That is the point you meant to make. Right?
    LOL. See post #40. Alexa is not able to formulate/address conjectures at this time.

I just had to stop and reflect on these seven sentences one at a time and consider how ridiculously obvious each one was.
    Yup. A lousy AI at work. How did humans let this $#@! slide for so long boggles my mind.

Is this sarcasm?

Or do you actually think that their offering you goods at lower prices is a good reason not to shop there?
    Lowest price does not equal integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Horse_Rider View Post
    Lowest price does not equal integrity
    So it's sarcasm?

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nope, not sarcasm

Just my 2 cents on the matter

We want high paying jobs but low priced goods- and forget that if you get one, you don't get the other (usually). Low prices are possible only with low costs and labor is the major cost of everything.

We want high paying jobs but low priced goods- and forget that if you get one, you don't get the other (usually). Low prices are possible only with low costs and labor is the major cost of everything.
    Any more insights, Alexa?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Any more insights, Alexa?
    Thank you for your informative contributions to the discussion.

Thank you for your informative contributions to the discussion.
    It is quite disappointing for the amount of electricity used all I get back is my own line.

And the value of money as NOTHING to do with it. Nor does govt printing money and basically throwing at Amazon (via welfare, posted above) to subsidize their low prices.
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

1776 > 1984

Find another job.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is this sarcasm?

I do not use them . I am picky about quality of goods and service . I do not like business that is subsidized . I like to be able to return it for replacement . I buy very little foreign made imported things which is mostly what is available . Walmart itself locally is the example of poor service .

I don't like,wall mart, they put one in my town and I shopped there a couple times. Their food selection sucks, no way I'm eating meat from there and the place just generally creeps me out. As far as amazon goes it's another service I simply don't have any use for. I rarely mail order anything.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I don't like,wall mart, they put one in my town and I shopped there a couple times. Their food selection sucks, no way I'm eating meat from there and the place just generally creeps me out. As far as amazon goes it's another service I simply don't have any use for. I rarely mail order anything.
    I would never buy meat there . All the local grocers here cut own meat and if you buy what is on sale it is cheaper than anything at walmart and fresher .

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Indeed, it was privatized back in the day, a move that did not improve sustainability, and was unconstitutional.
    It isn't private. It would function at a profit if it was. From the link:
    What (the Postal Reorganization Act) didn’t do was privatize the postal service in any way, shape or form. Some in Congress, then as now, would have favored privatization. Consideration was also given to making the USPS a government owned corporation, like the TVA or Amtrak. But neither of those things happened. Here’s what the Act says:”The United States Postal Service shall be operated as a basic and fundamental service provided to the people by the Government of the United States”. It also defines the USPS as “an independent establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the United States”. Being “independent” doesn’t make the USPS a “quasi-” anything- it simply means it is not part of one of the cabinet departments. Other “independent” agencies include the CIA and NASA.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast