Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazon is worse than Walmart

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Amazon is worse than Walmart

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oddly, maintaining a post office and the roads necessary to deliver mail is an enumerated power of Congress.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Oddly, maintaining a post office and the roads necessary to deliver mail is an enumerated power of Congress.
    Postal myths: #2 The USPS isn’t part of the federal government
    http://postalnews.com/blog/2015/05/0...rnment-agency/

?
    Last edited by donnay; 12-30-2017 at 08:24 PM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Postal myths: #2 The USPS isn’t part of the federal government
    http://postalnews.com/blog/2015/05/0...rnment-agency/
    Indeed, it was privatized back in the day, a move that did not improve sustainability, and was unconstitutional.

There is an Amazon distribution center about 40 miles from here. They use a lot of private delivery, including people who use their personal vehicles to deliver packages.
    #NashvilleStrong

Indeed, it was privatized back in the day, a move that did not improve sustainability, and was unconstitutional.

There is an Amazon distribution center about 40 miles from here. They use a lot of private delivery, including people who use their personal vehicles to deliver packages.
    Yes, I am aware of that; they are doing that here as well. New Hampshire is trying to get a distribution center here too and everyone says it will employ 50,000 people. I, personally, do not think it is a good idea.

Yes, I am aware of that; they are doing that here as well. New Hampshire is trying to get a distribution center here too and everyone says it will employ 50,000 people. I, personally, do not think it is a good idea.
    People can work wherever they want if they have the skills. I would rather have people working than not working. We have a lot of colleges in the area and it's good when they can have flexible hours. Jobs lead to other jobs.

I don't think it is wrong for the market to be competitive. Neither Amazon nor WalMart have done anything to shut out competition except be less expensive.
    Last edited by euphemia; 12-30-2017 at 09:36 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

It isn't private. It would function at a profit if it was. From the link:
    What (the Postal Reorganization Act) didn’t do was privatize the postal service in any way, shape or form. Some in Congress, then as now, would have favored privatization. Consideration was also given to making the USPS a government owned corporation, like the TVA or Amtrak. But neither of those things happened. Here’s what the Act says:”The United States Postal Service shall be operated as a basic and fundamental service provided to the people by the Government of the United States”. It also defines the USPS as “an independent establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the United States”. Being “independent” doesn’t make the USPS a “quasi-” anything- it simply means it is not part of one of the cabinet departments. Other “independent” agencies include the CIA and NASA.

SMH. When you inadvertantly make statist arguments against people voluntarily partaking in difficult and low-paying labor to improve their quality of life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Actually, people who choose low-skill jobs probably have low skills for desk work. They could probably improve their skills, but they don't, and some people really prefer to do physically hard work. I was in the classroom for many years, and some students were never happier than when doing physically demanding things. Some of those students are doing quite well in their adult lives in construction. They love it, it suits them, and they make good money. Granted people who work with their bodies will need to make sure they have good retirement savings because they can't do it forever, but if they want to make a living with their brawn, then good for them.
    #NashvilleStrong

I , a truly Great American Patriot do not use walmart or amazon .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    You're a better person than I. I, unfortunately, use Amazon, however I am thinking of not using them in the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Would you be if they started taking animal furs and beads as payment?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I used to trade a company called Mepp's squirrel tails for fishing lures . They still hand assemble them in the US .

We sell our furs through a place in canada now . Muskrat , Raccoon etc

People can act like their dollars have ethics, and they can shop wherever they want. Most people haven't a clue about where their dollars actually go. One would think it's a good thing for companies to ship goods around the world....
    #NashvilleStrong

People can act like their dollars have ethics, and they can shop wherever they want. Most people haven't a clue about where their dollars actually go. One would think it's a good thing for companies to ship goods around the world....
    A lot of $#@! from China is basically slave labor.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Also , people are probably not aware , but many things thought to be made in china are made in North Korea and paid cash for . That cash is used for nuclear weapons .

That could be one of the reason Bezos' hates Trump because he taking jobs away from China's slave labor.

No kidding. Read A Year Without "Made in China".
    #NashvilleStrong

No kidding. Read A Year Without "Made in China".
    The families in China die from starvation, children become prostitutes and the American lower classes are burdened with more expensive goods?
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Just a reminder - Amazon makes no profit(no taxes and somehow everybody is OK with it. They are looking really good, any day now they will start making money. I have been hearing this for almost 20 years.
    Last edited by timosman; 12-30-2017 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    1) Amazon made $596 and $2370 in 2015 and 2016, which are excluded from the graphic
    2) Amazon is forward-thinking and has invested what would be profits into expansion and ultimately domination, rather than just being content with sending current profits back to shareholders. And if you want to see what the market thinks about the success of said investments, just look at the exploding stock price.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Neocon View Post
    Amazon is forward-thinking and has invested what would be profits into expansion and ultimately domination, rather than just being content with sending current profits back to shareholders.
    Profits that they reinvest in the company are still profits though, not "would be profits."

But you make a good point. The chart only compares one variable, profits. It would tell a totally different story if they used a different one like market cap.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Profits that they reinvest in the company are still profits though, not "would be profits."

But you make a good point. The chart only compares one variable, profits. It would tell a totally different story if they used a different one like market cap.
    Sorry for the late reply but in order to dominate the market companies often run at a net loss to gain marketshare, before reaping in the profits at a later date. That's why Amazon is priced so highly. It is poised to reap in the profits in the future with such a gigantic marketshare. So by spreading yourself out and expanding into things which start out as unprofitable you can keep your net profits down. This is not to be confused with cash flow which is a different kind of "profitable".
    Last edited by Anti-Neocon; 01-30-2018 at 01:27 PM.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Neocon View Post
    1) Amazon made $596 and $2370 in 2015 and 2016, which are excluded from the graphic
    2) Amazon is forward-thinking and has invested what would be profits into expansion and ultimately domination, rather than just being content with sending current profits back to shareholders. And if you want to see what the market thinks about the success of said investments, just look at the exploding stock price.
    Laser thin profits. Creative accounting much?

Investors continue to give a pass on Amazon's laser-thin profits. Operating profit dropped in all three major segments, by 40 percent in total to $347 million, as operating expenses grew 45 percent from a year ago. That resulted in an operating margin of just 0.8%, the lowest since September 2014.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/26/amaz...s-q3-2017.html

Trump Tells Truth About How Amazon is Ripping Off Taxpayers; Liberal Melt Down

December 29, 2017 By Donn Marten

The already frosty relationship between President Donald Trump and Amazon.com overlord Jeff Bezos plunged to a new low on Friday.

Trump trained his weaponized Twitter account on Amazon by pointing out that the United States Postal Service is getting “dumber and poorer” while making Bezos richer than King Midas thanks to giving the online mega-retailer a break on shipping costs.

The Hill reports:

President Trump insisted on Friday that the U.S. Postal Service should be charging online retailers, like Amazon, more to deliver packages, saying the service’s cheap delivery rates were making it “dumber and poorer.”

“Why is the United States Post Office, which is losing many billions of dollars a year, while charging Amazon and others so little to deliver their packages, making Amazon richer and the Post Office dumber and poorer? Should be charging MUCH MORE!” he tweeted.

Trump’s tweet came after “Fox & Friends” aired a segment about technology trends expected in 2018. Among them was Amazon’s bet on augmented reality, which would reportedly allow online shoppers to see how products would look in their homes before making a purchase.

Trump is referring to the subsidy that the USPS is providing to Amazon that deprives it of a staggering amount of money that continues to be lost as Bezos’ baby continues to expand and consumers become more accustomed to the convenience of shopping from home. If they have a Prime membership, they can even get some of their merchandise delivered the same day in certain areas.

Earlier this year, Fortune magazine compared the special rate to a “gift card from Uncle Sam” in story that cited an analysis by Citigroup, “This Analyst Claims the U.S. Postal Service Is Giving Amazon a Huge Subsidy”:

[S]hipping industry watcher and money manager Josh Sandbulte thinks there’s an ugly underside to the USPS-Amazon collaboration. Sandbulte, writing in the Wall Street Journal last week, argued that the USPS effectively subsidizes the price of shipping Amazon’s packages.

According the Sandbulte, Congress has barred USPS from setting its parcel prices below its costs, to keep it from unfairly undercutting competitors like FedEx and UPS. But the formula for calculating those costs, set in 2006, hasn’t kept pace as packages have come to make up a higher and higher percentage of USPS volume. The law set the share of infrastructure costs associated with packages at 5.5%, but boxes now make up around 25% of Postal Service revenue.

Sandbulte cites an April analysis by Citigroup that put a price tag on the resulting distortion. If package delivery bore its fair share of Postal Service system costs, each box would cost $1.46 more to deliver. That “subsidy” is systemwide, and the USPS has courted other large e-commerce companies.

But Amazon’s size means that it benefits disproportionately, and ships around 40% of its deliveries with USPS. In Sandbulte’s view, this means the Postal Service is “picking winners and losers in the retail world.”

In a rapid response to Trump’s tweet, Bloomberg was quick to point out that:

Amazon regularly uses the U.S. Postal Service to complete what’s called the “last mile” of delivery, with letter carriers dropping off packages at some 150 million residences and businesses daily.

While full details of the agreement between Amazon and the Postal Service are unknown — the mail service is independently operated and strikes confidential deals with retailers — David Vernon, an analyst at Bernstein Research who tracks the shipping industry, estimated in 2015 that the USPS handled 40 percent of Amazon’s volume the previous year. He estimated at the time that Amazon pays the Postal Service $2 per package, which is about half what it would pay United Parcel Service Inc. or FedEx Corp.

The Postal Service reported a net loss of $2.1 billion in the third quarter of 2017 and has $15 billion in outstanding debt. The service has lost $62 billion over the last decade.

Liberals will rush to attack Trump with breakneck speed even if he is correct because Bezos is one of them.

In addition to Amazon, Bezos owns the virulently anti-Trump Washington Post, a sleazy propaganda organ that specializes in fake news based on anonymous sources and has been living off of its reputation since Watergate. No amount of Tom Hanks-Meryl Steep Hollywood magic is going to change the fact that WaPo is no longer a credible source for news despite their silly, melodramatic “Democracy Dies in Darkness” slogan.

To the left and especially the woebegone and morally-bereft Democrats, it matters not one bit whether the taxpayers are being fleeced by a cunning operator like Bezos. It’s all about resistance to Trump, and screw the American taxpayers because the blue jackass party has made it perfectly clear that it cares nothing about them.

Oh, and Amazon stock was slightly down after Trump’s tweet.
    http://thefederalistpapers.org/polit...zen.yandex.com

Amazon and Walmart are both great.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Amazon and Walmart are both great.
    If you like being a slave.

If you like being a slave.
    Or if you like being able to buy stuff cheaply and conveniently.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast