Thread: US Drugmaker Raises Price of Vitamins By More Than 800%

US Drugmaker Raises Price of Vitamins By More Than 800%

https://science.slashdot.org/story/1...-more-than-800

David Crow, reporting for the Financial Times:

A US drugmaker is charging almost $300 for a bottle of prescription vitamins that can be bought online for less than $5, in the latest attempt at price gouging in the world's largest healthcare market. Avondale Pharmaceuticals raised the price of Niacor, a prescription-only version of niacin, by 809 per cent last month, taking a bottle of 100 tablets from $32.46 to $295 (Editor's note: the link may be paywalled; alternative source), according to figures seen by the Financial Times. Although niacin, a type of vitamin B3, is available in over-the-counter forms for less than $5 per 100 tablets, some doctors still prefer to use the version approved by the US Food and Drug Administration to treat high cholesterol. Avondale, a secretive Alabama-based company, put the price of Niacor up shortly after acquiring the rights to the medicine in a so-called "buy-and-raise" deal -- a strategy made famous by Martin Shkreli, the disgraced biotech entrepreneur.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "...a secretive Alabama-based company..."

That made me shake my head and go, hmmmmm.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post

Yup. Same guy that jacked up the price of the Epi-Pen.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Our central bank is not privately owned.

In a free market, who would purchase their niacin?

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    In a free market, who would purchase their niacin?
    Vitamins are a free market.

This speaks more to the power and (presumed) authority of the medical profession to dictate a brand via prescription, and the lunacy of the health insurance industry to cover it. No doubt the people who take the prescribed version do not actually pay the full price.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Really? Because when I read something like that I automatically assume it was written by a leftist that hates anything capitalism.
    One of the source articles even says "The company was formed in August and has no online presence, but state records show that it is based in Alabama."

And yet a quick search shows that is false: http://avondalepharm.com/

They even have a contactus page! ewww, secretive.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

This speaks more to the power and (presumed) authority of the medical profession to dictate a brand via prescription, and the lunacy of the health insurance industry to cover it. No doubt the people who take the prescribed version do not actually pay the full price.
    Yes and Big pHARMa knows this. that is why they have entered the supplement industry and have their guard dogs (FDA) going after the little guys in the free market <---I use that term very lightly, because it is the appearance of a 'free market', which it is not.

They are already gunning for Hyland's homeopathic remedies.

Here is how socialized medicine works:

I have a friend who lives in England and she was always getting sick. She went to her doctor and he prescribed Vitamin D--on the face of it, one would think that was great to help her out. The problem is it is was D2, not D3. Now she thinks Vitamin D will not help her immune system because she was prescribed the wrong type of D.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Really? Because when I read something like that I automatically assume it was written by a leftist that hates anything capitalism.
    One of the source articles even says "The company was formed in August and has no online presence, but state records show that it is based in Alabama."

And yet a quick search shows that is false: http://avondalepharm.com/

They even have a contactus page! ewww, secretive.
    Yeah got to love all those pharmaceutical companies jumping in on the supplement side of free market eh? Kind of like them jumping in the on cannabis free market to corner and control cannabis .

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah got to love all those pharmaceutical companies jumping in on the supplement side of free market eh? Kind of like them jumping in the on cannabis free market to corner and control cannabis .
    Most of the supplements you buy in the market are produced by large corporations- just like big pharma. Some even are big pharma. It is a $300 billion a year industry.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2009/06...companies.html

Some people who buy supplements to avoid Big Pharma drug companies may find themselves doing business with Big Herba, instead.

Some of the same companies that mass-produce drugs in huge chemical labs also churn out vitamin and herbal pills sold in bottles with rainbows, sunrises and flowers on their labels.

Dozens of other supplement makers reap more than $100 million in annual sales. One of the largest — NBTY Inc., on New York's Long Island — sold $2 billion last year in the United States alone. Its brands include Nature's Bounty, Vitamin World, Puritan's Pride and Sundown.

"They used to be mom and pop operations but now they're major companies," said Bruce Silverglade, chief lawyer for the consumer group, Center for Science in the Public Interest.

Most of the supplements you buy in the market are produced by large corporations- just like big pharma. Some even are big pharma. It is a $300 billion a year industry.

On the tenth day of Christmas,

guess what I gave to Zippy......

Last edited by sparebulb; 12-23-2017 at 03:42 PM.

I do not buy my herbs, vitamins or minerals from a pharmaceutical company. I buy from companies who have no problem with transparency to the customers.

Example:

NutraBio was founded in 1996 with the goal of providing our customers with the most effective supplements. In 2001, we revolutionized the supplement industry by introducing four quality commitments:

Never using proprietary blends & guaranteeing full label disclosure
    Banning all fillers, excipients & additives from our products
    Guaranteeing full therapeutic dosages of every active ingredient
    Manufacturing our own products so we could control every aspect of quality.

Last edited by donnay; 12-23-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

But sadly there's quite a bit of "there ought a be a law!!!" types here. The original post certainly isn't of a free market bent.

Most of it's all snake-oil anyway. It was a rip-off to begin with - now it's just a bigger rip off.
    Last edited by angelatc; 12-23-2017 at 04:43 PM.