Thread: Why Does The New $1 Billion US Embassy In London Need The First Moat Since Medieval Times

Why Does The New $1 Billion US Embassy In London Need The First Moat Since Medieval Times

Yesterday saw the press launch for the new US embassy in London which is situated on the south bank of the River Thames in the re-developed – albeit unattractively - part of the city near to Battersea Power Station. During the “celebrations”, architect James Timberlake, of Philadelphia-based firm Kieran Timberlake, described the new building as “the embodiment of peace and security”. The Daily Mail reported a spokesperson saying the glass structure “gives form to the core democratic values of transparency”. The lobby looks a bit “imperial” to us, but we’re probably mistaken.

Like us, the Financial Times sees paradoxes. Here is its take.

It is central London’s first new moated building since the medieval era. The new US embassy in Nine Elms is a paradox, a heavily defended delicate glass box. Its architect calls it a “crystalline radiant beacon”; in fact, it resembles a corporate cube. It is also one of the world’s most expensive embassies, costing a cool $1bn.

It is not as sophisticated as its predecessor. Architect Eero Saarinen’s Mayfair building may not have been his finest work but it exuded a certain urbane, mid-century chic. It was huge yet it made efforts to blend in and completed one side of the 18th century square. By contrast, the new building stands alone, a 12-storey box in a field of ill-conceived and poorly planned towers. With two sides wrapped in a flimsy film of appliqué lampshades, it resembles a temporary Expo pavilion. Its glazing as metaphor for transparency and openness is unsettled by the inevitable heavy security apparatus.
    The FT reports that the occupiers of the new building see it symbolising the “special relationship" between the two nations.

US Ambassador Woody Johnson was keen, as were all the other speakers, to refer to the so-called “special relationship”. “This is not just a new office building,” he said “it’s a symbol of friendship between our two countries.”
    As if that wasn’t enough, there is also good news for US taxpayers and anybody concerned with climate change. the $1 billion cost of the building was covered by two real estate sales, primarily the old embassy in Grosvenor Square, London. It’s also has “green credentials”, since its running is “carbon neutral” (actually it’s “nearly” self-sufficient in energy production) with the roof being clad in solar panels. Outside there is a lawn and inside there are internal gardens which “evoke different ecologies” of the US.

So if we summarise the excessive propaganda and shameless “spin”, the new embassy embodies. Peace;

• Democratic values;
    • Transparency;
    • The “special relationship” with Britain;
    • Low-cost; and
    • Green credentials.

The Washington Post got it right, saying “The U.S. Embassy here will exude openness while hiding all the clever ways it defends itself from attack…One assumes there is a CIA station, but that was not on the tour.”
    Moving on the security features, here are some descriptions from a selection of media sources.

The Daily Mail: Fortress America on the banks of the Thames, featuring a security moat”.

Financial Times: A section of its grounds facing the river are publicly accessible and a cascade billed as a “water feature” actually conceals a massive concrete base resistant to every form of attack.

The Telegraph: Buffered by an 8ft-deep, crescent-shaped moat and surrounded by armed guards, London’s new US embassy appears like Fort Knox amid a tangle of cranes and construction work.

Fox News: It is a high-tech high-security fortress in London. At $1 billion, the new U.S. embassy in the UK is the most expensive ever. The walls are blast-resistant. The glass is shatter-proof. It is diplomacy in the age of terror…Suspicious vehicles near the site triggered controlled detonations earlier this year.

Evening Standard: Ramparts: the embassy includes a multi-level garden to act as a security barrier.
    The paradoxes in the new embassy building mirror the paradox in the way that the America sees itself, the leadership anyway, which is increasingly diverging from the way its seen by many in the rest of the world these days. One question which had puzzled us since the location of the new US embassy was announced several years ago, was didn’t they choose a more attractive part of London? Mayfair to Nine Elms was a strange move. Now we know the answer thanks to the Telegraph.

The Americans chose that site as it was one of a few in central London that had enough space to contain all the security measures necessary, including being at least 100ft from all buildings.
    Which is very sad given the principles that the nation claims to embody.

More at: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-1...medieval-times
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ugly and obnoxious- yes, it says "American". I have been inside the old one on Grovenor Square:

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    I have been inside the old one on Grovenor Square:

To meet with your handler?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    To meet with your handler?
    Actually it was to take the Foreign Services Exam which I did not do well enough on. I was over there on a work visa after I graduated from college. Ended up with a job at Harrod's Department Store while I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Actually it was to take the Foreign Services Exam which I did not do well enough on. I was over there on a work visa after I graduated from college. Ended up with a job at Harrod's Department Store while I was there.
    So you failed to qualify for the cover they wanted for you? was there a reprimand? or were they satisfied with the one you obtained?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Was there a problem with the old one?

Keep giving them your money and they'll keep spending it.

Contract enforcement?
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Was there a problem with the old one?

Keep giving them your money and they'll keep spending it.
    Supposedly "security concerns" due to its location. It has been sold to a member of the Qatari royal family for an undisclosed price (it had been valued at $500 million) and approval has been given to convert it into a hotel. It sits a couple blocks east of Hyde Park in central London. They are going to spend $1 billion on its restoration. https://www.theguardian.com/business...o-luxury-hotel
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-15-2017 at 03:51 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We should get the Queen to pay for it.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    We should get the Queen to pay for it.
    The US actually asked if they could move their embassy to Kensington Palace but she said no. That was Lady Di's home. The Russian Embassy is right across the street (the area is known as "Embassy Row because there are so many embassies there). http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3157759.stm

They should put some alligators in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    They should put some alligators in there.
    Sharks. With lasers.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-15-2017 at 08:15 PM.

I have never been in the embassy in london but I have been in the Thames House . Hard to find a good beer in there .

why Does The New $1 Billion US Embassy In London Need The First Moat Since Medieval Times.
    Because the USG is expecting London to be a warzone in 20 or 30 years.

Yes, let's just build $1B embassies all around the world and then justify this unnecessary extravagance with the partial return gained from selling off the current partially modest embassies already build there.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber