Thread: Rep. Mo Brooks reveals he has prostate cancer

Rep. Mo Brooks reveals he has prostate cancer

This morning Rep Mo Brooks announced that he has “high-risk” prostate cancer. Both Brooks' father and grandfather had prostate cancer. His father lived another forty years after he was diagnosed. Brooks will be having surgery this Friday, and will be home recuperating next week. This means, he will not be around to cast any votes in the house next week.

12/13/17:

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...rostate-cancer
    Alabama Rep. Mo Brooks reveals he has prostate cancer
    BY CRISTINA MARCOS - 12/13/17 10:53 AM EST

Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.) revealed in an emotional House floor speech on Wednesday that he has prostate cancer.

Brooks lost the Alabama Senate GOP primary earlier this year, a result that he said may very well have saved his life.

“Had I won, I would not have had time for my physical and PSA test. I would not have had a prostate biopsy. I would not now know about my high-risk prostate cancer that requires immediate surgery. In retrospect, and paradoxically, losing the Senate race may have saved my life. Yes, God does work in mysterious ways,” Brooks said.

Republican Roy Moore ultimately prevailed to become the party's nominee over Brooks, a member of the conservative House Freedom Caucus, and Sen. Luther Strange (R-Ala.), who is temporarily serving in the seat as a placeholder.

But Moore lost to Democrat Doug Jones on Tuesday night following reports by The Washington Post that he had pursued sexual relationships with teenage girls while in his thirties.

Brooks first learned of his diagnosis on Halloween, when his doctor called after House votes to tell him he had “high-risk” prostate cancer.

“I felt an adrenaline rush as a chill went up and down my spine,” Brooks recalled. He then phoned his wife, who was welcoming trick-or-treaters back home in Huntsville.

“That night was one of the loneliest nights apart in our 41-year marriage,” he said, struggling to hold back tears.

Prostate cancer runs in Brooks’s family; both his father and grandfather were also diagnosed. Brooks’s father discovered his cancer early enough and lived on for another four decades. But his grandfather learned of it too late.

Fortunately for Brooks, a CT scan and nuclear bone scan revealed no cancer beyond his prostate.

Brooks will undergo surgery this Friday, as well as a post-surgery medical procedure on Dec. 20. As a result, he will miss critical expected House votes next week on the GOP tax overhaul and end-of-year spending package to avert a government shutdown after Dec. 22.

It’s unlikely he would otherwise be medically cleared to travel.

In the meantime, Brooks expects to recuperate over the holidays with his family. And he offered some parting advice.

“Don’t ever, ever, take your health or family for granted. During the holidays, enjoy your family, because no one, no one, is promised tomorrow,” Brooks said.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...rostate-cancer
    Last edited by Valli6; 12-13-2017 at 11:01 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Wow.
    There have been a lot of advances in treating prostate cancer. If they caught it early enough, his prognosis is probably good.

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    There have been a lot of advances in treating prostate cancer. If they caught it early enough, his prognosis is probably good.
    As men get older, the instances of prostate cancer reach 100%. It's very treatable in most cases. Depending on age and extent of the cancer, they might not do anything. Advances in robotic surgery make it a pretty minimal surgery, a temporary catheter being the biggest patient issue afterwards. Now if your health care doesn't have that available, it might be worthwhile to shop around and find a facility that would do it for cash. Old fashioned fillet you like a fish surgery is not recommended.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

More men die with prostate cancer than from it. As noted, his dad lived 40 years after his diagnosis.