Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Live updates: Alabama Senate race

Live updates: Alabama Senate race

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/live-up...y-live-stream/

Last Updated Dec 12, 2017 3:21 PM EST

Watch here for live Alabama Senate special election results and exit polls

Republican Roy Moore, the embattled former chief justice on the state's supreme court, and Democrat Doug Jones, a widely respected former U.S. attorney, are running for Jeff Sessions' old Senate seat today in a special election that's being watched closely across the country.

CANDIDATE
    PARTY
    VOTE PCT.
    Doug Jones
    Democrat
    0.0 %
    Roy Moore
    Republican
    0.0 %

Polls open at 8 a.m. ET and close at 8 p.m. ET. That's 7 a.m. local time and 7 p.m. local time. The first exit polls are expected later this afternoon.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 12-12-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'm sorry. Is it just me?

I mean, if this race matters to you then I think you watch too much TV. The media did its job, once again, and split you on one side or the other.

This is just about replacing Jeff Sessions in the Senate - if not for the fake "controversy", this wouldn't even be a blip on anyone's radar.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Republican Roy Moore, the embattled former chief justice on the state's supreme court, and Democrat Doug Jones, a widely respected former U.S. attorney
    LOL

Government media organ bias much?

The Bipartisan Establishment has spent $40-50 Million to stop Roy Moore from winning this seat. Today is Alabama's chance to vote for Rand Paul and Thomas Massie's endorsed Constitutional candidate and tell the elites where to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post

I mean, if this race matters to you then I think you watch too much TV. The media did its job, once again, and split you on one side or the other.

This is just about replacing Jeff Sessions in the Senate - if not for the fake "controversy", this wouldn't even be a blip on anyone's radar.
    Yes.

A Moore win would add another valuable anti establishment voice in the Senate.

A voice that has made it clear that his outlook is much closer to the Paul's than anybody else on the political spectrum.

That's a win.

So is the SJW meltdown that is sure to follow if he wins.

That alone is worth it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Moore will be the first true grassroots Senate victory since Rand Paul won in 2010. He has the chance to be the domino to set the stage for 2018, that's why they are pulling out all the stops.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

This election has become about the underhanded tactics used by the right/left establishment and the media, at least for me. I don't want to see them succeed or there will be more of it. This election is also about states rights to sit a senator. If Moore wins I would love to see the Senate try to censure him and the resulting chaos.

This race will also show whether or not the Trump Train has coat-tails. Bannon campaigned hard for Moore, Trump gave him a full-on endorsement, and the Establishment players pulled out all the stops to take him down.

The fact that Roy Moore gets people like Mitch McConnell literally shaking is enough to want Moore to win. And win big.

This election will have national repercussions.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Randal endorsed him and STOOD by it, that's enough for me to think it important.

Polls open to 8:00 ? WTH , that is not the rust belt , people do not work that late unless they do not start to 3:00 .LOL

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Polls open to 8:00 ? WTH , that is not the rust belt , people do not work that late unless they do not start to 3:00 .LOL
    Actually they close 7 Central and 8 Eastern.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Well this seems to be the second time you have gotten confused between fake media controversy employed to divert your attention away from real issues (i.e. Justin Bieber arrest report interrupts interview with a congresswoman about NSA surveillance) and an actual negative attack campaign by the media (i.e. Trump).
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/early-a...te-exit-polls/

Early exit polling shows Jones voters are more strongly behind their candidate than Moore voters. Eight in 10 Jones voters say they strongly favor him, compared to just over half of Moore backers who say that about him. About a third of Moore supporters say they like him, but have reservations. Over one in 10 Moore voters say they were partly motivated by their dislike of Jones.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Either way the national Democrat Party win. Moore winning could give some RINO Republicans reason to go independent

Quote Originally Posted by gaazn View Post
    Either way the national Democrat Party win. Moore winning could give some RINO Republicans reason to go independent
    That's still a win for us.

"Fewer but better Republicans"

I doubt it will happen though, they would lose their next re-election.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

6:14 p.m. More exit poll results — voters evenly split on Trump's job performance

In a state that overwhelmingly voted for Mr. Trump over Hillary Clinton just one year ago, Alabama voters do not see him as glowingly now. At this point, Alabama voters are split on the president's job performance – 48 percent approve ant 48 percent disapprove.
    Both major political parties are viewed unfavorably by more than half of Alabama voters.
    Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell isn't popular either. Roughly 69 percent of voters view him unfavorably.
    5:51 p.m.: CBS News speaks with Alabama voters

CBS News spoke with some voters in Alabama, where, across the state, there was a steady stream of voters in small towns and big cities.
    Brenda McClusky proudly voted for Moore.
    McClusky said she always thought he was a good man, and doesn't "pay attention" to much of the "talk" about him.
    The Jones campaign has hoped to motivate young and African-American voters to elect the first Democrat to the Senate in a quarter century.
    Pastor Kenneth Glasgow told CBS News on Monday that he helped register first-time voters, saying they have a "chance" now.
    5:20 p.m.: First early exit polls released

The first exit polls are released, revealing Alabama voters divided on the validity of the allegations against Moore. More than four in 10 believe they are false. Most Jones voters believe the accusations, while most of Moore's voters do not.
    For about 40 percent of voters, the allegations were the most important factor in their vote, mostly for Jones voters. Moore voters were more motivated by their support for Donald Trump. Early exit polling shows Jones supporters more staunchly behind their candidate than those behind Moore.
    Furthermore, most voters had already made up their minds by November – before the allegations against Moore surfaced.
    The majority of voters had already decided who to vote fore before the allegations against Moore arose

CBS News poll
    Early exit poll from Alabama special election

CBS News poll
    — Results from CBS News' Jennifer DePinto

Update | 5:37 p.m. ET – Early exit poll data should offer further encouragement for Republican candidate Roy Moore, with more Alabama voters stating that they cast their vote as an act of support for DonaldTrump than those who said they did so to voice opposition for the president.
    Twenty-nine percent responded to the CNN poll that they were showing their backing for Trump, with 20 percent answering with the reverse. Forty-eight percent said that Trump was not a factor in their decision over whether to vote for Moore or Democrat Doug Jones.
    The results do not provide such a rosy picture for Trump, however. In a deep red state, voters were evenly split (48 percent) on whether they approved or disapproved of the job he is doing.
    Update | 5:15 p.m. ET – Despite the sexual misconduct allegations against Roy Moore having dominated the Senate race, 55 percent of Alabama voters said they were not an important factor in casting their vote, according to an early CNN exit poll. In contrast, 40 percent said it was an important factor.
    The figures suggest encouragement for Moore who has vehemently denied allegations made against him by nine different women. The electorate was split on whether they believed the accusations that Moore preyed on teenage girls when he was in his 30s. Forty-nine percent said they were true, with 45 percent stating they were false. Of those, 29 percent said the allegations were definitely true and 16 percent responded that they were definitely false.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    This race will also show whether or not the Trump Train has coat-tails. Bannon campaigned hard for Moore, Trump gave him a full-on endorsement, and the Establishment players pulled out all the stops to take him down.

The fact that Roy Moore gets people like Mitch McConnell literally shaking is enough to want Moore to win. And win big.

This election will have national repercussions.

I believe this is a referendum on having sex with 14 year old girls. I'm not clear if having sex with 14 year old girls becomes legal if Moore wins, but something like that, I heard something like that on the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by parocks View Post
    I believe this is a referendum on having sex with 14 year old girls. I'm not clear if having sex with 14 year old girls becomes legal if Moore wins, but something like that, I heard something like that on the TV.
    Get a grip.

Nobody did anything to Barney Frank, who practically destroyed the housing industry and whose partner ran a gay brothel from their shared DC apartment.

And nobody did anything to Ted Kennedy who was a known philanderer, and who allowed Mary Jo Kopechne to drown in the car when he drunkenly drove off the bridge at Chappaquiddick.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Allegations.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Get a grip.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Allegations.
    I'm fairly certain that parocks was being sarcastic portraying what the media would like you to believe.

Bad ventriloquist act.

I can see The Texican's lips move on your post.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Early exit poll: Majority of Alabama voters believe abortion should be illegal

https://www.nbcnews.com/card/early-e...uld-be-n828976

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Get a grip.

Nobody did anything to Barney Frank, who practically destroyed the housing industry and whose partner ran a gay brothel from their shared DC apartment.

And nobody did anything to Ted Kennedy who was a known philanderer, and who allowed Mary Jo Kopechne to drown in the car when he drunkenly drove off the bridge at Chappaquiddick.

Which politician is the biggest sexual deviant?

Stay tuned sportsfans.

Some of the exit polls suggest a tight race. I'd take them with a grain of salt since so many people aren't going to let themselves be interviewed about someone the media is making out to be the devil. If turnout is even throughout the state whether high or low it should be very hard for Jones to do too well since most districts are Republican.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I'm fairly certain that parocks was being sarcastic portraying what the media would like you to believe.
    Unlike a lot of people on here, I believe almost nothing put out by the mainstream media. But it is worth reminding people that there have always been sexual scandals in government and some of them have been worth prosecution.

Clinton's people were like, "So what?" That's really what they said. George Stephanopolis said it, James Carville said it.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Some of the exit polls suggest a tight race. I'd take them with a grain of salt since so many people aren't going to let themselves be interviewed about someone the media is making out to be the devil. If turnout is even throughout the state whether high or low it should be very hard for Jones to do too well since most districts are Republican.
    The news is ridiculous the whole time they are billing the race as a competition between a suspected criminal vs democrat. They don't even use the guys name anymore. Its sad the democrats have lost all credibility on policy and have stooped to such distasteful tactics. It's really an embarrassment to be part of a country that treats their elections this way.

Polls now closed, first results will be incoming soon

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast