Thread: California Lawmaker Is Trying to Ban all Gasoline-Powered Cars in the State by 2040

California Lawmaker Is Trying to Ban all Gasoline-Powered Cars in the State by 2040

California drivers could see tremendous changes to their commute in the not-too-distant future if a California lawmaker gets his way.

Assemblymember Phil Ting says he plans to introduce a bill to prohibit vehicles that use fossil fuels from driving on the state’s roads. If passed, the legislation would go into effect in 2040.

Ting tells Bloomberg he plans to introduce the bill next month, when lawmakers gather for their next legislative session. It would tie in with California’s goal to slash greenhouse gas emissions by 80% between 1990 and 2050.

Under the proposal, the motor vehicles department would only register vehicles that have zero carbon dioxide emissions.

While it’s a radical step, it’s not one that should be automatically dismissed as a stunt. California governor Jerry Brown has shown interest in bans on internal-combustion vehicles. England, France, and China have all adopted similar long-term plans. Norway plans to ban the vehicles by 2025. And Germany hopes to end the sale of combustion-engine vehicles by 2030.

“Until you set a deadline, nothing gets done,” Ting told Bloomberg. “It’s responsible for us to set a deadline 23 years in advance.”
    http://fortune.com/2017/12/06/califo...gas-cars-2040/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How about 123 years in advance?

Haha no soup for you
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Joining China, India, France, Germany and the UK.

I don't care what anybody says, thank you Trump, for pulling us out of the Paris Climate Accords.

Good. Maybe gas will get cheaper for folks who want vehicles that can make it up a hill without having to recharge.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

So what, are we going back to horses and buggies in California? Wind powered automobiles? Chili-powered gas cars with activated heated seats? ...Or is an internationally funded electric railway busing system to be the only method of transportation after 2040?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

"WE" are going BACK to FREEdom...
    ...one way or another
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Joining China, India, France, Germany and the UK.

I don't care what anybody says, thank you Trump, for pulling us out of the Paris Climate Accords.
    I saw this moron say that the USA is going to end up like Cuba if we don't ban gasoline-powered cars. I expect a more divided USA in the next few decades.

Quote Originally Posted by RPfan1992 View Post
    I saw this moron say that the USA is going to end up like Cuba if we don't ban gasoline-powered cars. I expect a more divided USA in the next few decades.
    Interestingly enough, the classics that are running the streets in Cuba are old enough to be considered real cars.
    https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-cuba...017-1791963244

And some are some sort of Frankenstein-like mish-mash of parts, lol
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 12-09-2017 at 04:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Another benefit of self driving, remote controlled electric car pods:

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    They cancel for snow for every thing, kid had a swim meet today, we were halfway there when we got a call saying it was canceled. No snow sticking on the road.
    When that happens in the future, the command from "authority" will direct your self driving car pod to immediately pull over at the nearest safe space and shut down until the weather crisis is declared all clear by "authorities".

Regardless of it being "safe" or not, nor with any regard to your getting back home.

Stuck at the airport, every day.

I, for one, can't wait for that.