Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Palestinian National Authority recognizes Texas as part of Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Modern critical editions of the Septuagint are based on the Codices Vaticanus, Sinaiticus, and Alexandrinus.

The traditional story is that Ptolemy II sponsored the translation of the Torah (Pentateuch, Five Books of Moses). Subsequently, the Greek translation was in circulation among the Alexandrian Jews who were fluent in Koine Greek but not in Hebrew,[6] the former being the lingua franca of Alexandria, Egypt and the Eastern Mediterranean at the time.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septuagint
    While we're quoting wiki,

Christian use

See also: Development of the Old Testament canon
    The Early Christian Church used the Greek texts[43] since Greek was a lingua franca of the Roman Empire at the time, and the language of the Greco-Roman Church (Aramaic was the language of Syriac Christianity, which used the Targumim).
    The relationship between the apostolic use of the Old Testament, for example, the Septuagint and the now lost Hebrew texts (though to some degree and in some form carried on in Masoretic tradition) is complicated. The Septuagint seems to have been a major source for the Apostles, but it is not the only one. St. Jerome offered, for example, Matt 2:15 and 2:23, John 19:37, John 7:38, 1 Cor. 2:9.[44] as examples not found in the Septuagint, but in Hebrew texts. (Matt 2:23 is not present in current Masoretic tradition either, though according to St. Jerome it was in Hosea 11:1.) The New Testament writers, when citing the Jewish scriptures, or when quoting Jesus doing so, freely used the Greek translation, implying that Jesus, his Apostles and their followers considered it reliable.[3][24][45]
    In the Early Christian Church, the presumption that the Septuagint was translated by Jews before the era of Christ, and that the Septuagint at certain places gives itself more to a christological interpretation than 2nd-century Hebrew texts was taken as evidence that "Jews" had changed the Hebrew text in a way that made them less christological. For example, Irenaeus concerning Isaiah 7:14: The Septuagint clearly writes of a virgin (Greek παρθένος, bethulah in Hebrew) that shall conceive.,[46] while the word almah in the Hebrew text was, according to Irenaeus, at that time interpreted by Theodotion and Aquila (both proselytes of the Jewish faith) as a young woman that shall conceive. According to Irenaeus, the Ebionites used this to claim that Joseph was the (biological) father of Jesus. From Irenaeus' point of view that was pure heresy, facilitated by (late) anti-Christian alterations of the scripture in Hebrew, as evident by the older, pre-Christian, Septuagint.[47]
    When Jerome undertook the revision of the Old Latin translations of the Septuagint, he checked the Septuagint against the Hebrew texts that were then available. He broke with church tradition and translated most of the Old Testament of his Vulgate from Hebrew rather than Greek. His choice was severely criticized by Augustine, his contemporary;[48] a flood of still less moderate criticism came from those who regarded Jerome as a forger. While on the one hand he argued for the superiority of the Hebrew texts in correcting the Septuagint on both philological and theological grounds, on the other, in the context of accusations of heresy against him, Jerome would acknowledge the Septuagint texts as well.[49] With the passage of time, acceptance of Jerome's version gradually increased until it displaced the Old Latin translations of the Septuagint.[23]
    The Eastern Orthodox Church still prefers to use the LXX as the basis for translating the Old Testament into other languages. The Eastern Orthodox also use LXX untranslated where Greek is the liturgical language, e.g. in the Orthodox Church of Constantinople, the Church of Greece and the Cypriot Orthodox Church. Critical translations of the Old Testament, while using the Masoretic Text as their basis, consult the Septuagint as well as other versions in an attempt to reconstruct the meaning of the Hebrew text whenever the latter is unclear, undeniably corrupt, or ambiguous.[23] For example, the New Jerusalem Bible Foreword says, "Only when this (the Masoretic Text) presents insuperable difficulties have emendations or other versions, such as the ... LXX, been used."[50] The Translator's Preface to the New International Version says: "The translators also consulted the more important early versions (including) the Septuagint ... Readings from these versions were occasionally followed where the MT seemed doubtful ..."[51]
    Now you see why it's proper to use the Septuagint.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 12-08-2017 at 09:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Modern critical editions of the Septuagint are based on the Codices Vaticanus, Sinaiticus, and Alexandrinus.

The traditional story is that Ptolemy II sponsored the translation of the Torah (Pentateuch, Five Books of Moses). Subsequently, the Greek translation was in circulation among the Alexandrian Jews who were fluent in Koine Greek but not in Hebrew,[6] the former being the lingua franca of Alexandria, Egypt and the Eastern Mediterranean at the time.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septuagint
    Do you actually believe wikipedia is an unbiased, exhaustive, and accurate source of information? Naive fool. Oh but I guess it's ok cuz this time it's saying things that you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Well, those in the land of Israel point to what is written.

Genesis 13:12-15
    Exodus 32:13
    1 Chronicles 28:8

All three of these scriptures mention possession of the land, 'forever.'
    which is why we should throw those books in the garbage can where they belong

Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    Do you actually believe wikipedia is an unbiased, exhaustive, and accurate source of information? Naive fool. Oh but I guess it's ok cuz this time it's saying things that you like.
    Because this is a political topic?

He asked for a source that said that it came from Alexandrian manuscripts and I gave him the easiest one I could find, you on the other hand attempted to use wikipedia as a scorecard for political sex scandals which it is in no way good for.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    //
    Last edited by Lamp; 12-08-2017 at 10:28 PM.

Because this is a political topic?

He asked for a source that said that it came from Alexandrian manuscripts and I gave him the easiest one I could find, you on the other hand attempted to use wikipedia as a scorecard for political sex scandals which it is in no way good for.
    I think political topics would be more accurate and less biased than religious ones. I have read plenty of extremely biased religious articles on wiki - many of the people adhere to the religion/sect they are writing about and voice those biases in their writings. But hell it doesn't really matter to you anyways, you will believe whatever already fits your narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    While we're quoting wiki,

Now you see why it's proper to use the Septuagint.
    Yeah, anything else wouldn't be Orthodox.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    That makes no sense, we fought and won it from Mexico, just like Israel fought and gained territory.
    To be clear, Texas won its independence from Mexico in 1836 after which it became its own sovereign country, the Republic of Texas. Texas was admitted into the USA in 1845. Just saying...
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    To be clear, Texas won its independence from Mexico in 1836 after which it became its own sovereign country, the Republic of Texas. Texas was admitted into the USA in 1845. Just saying...
    “We” here are all Texans in spirit...except maybe that Josh fellow...what ever happened to him?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    “We” are all Texans in spirit...
    Fair. +rep
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    I think political topics would be more accurate and less biased than religious ones. I have read plenty of extremely biased religious articles on wiki - many of the people adhere to the religion/sect they are writing about and voice those biases in their writings. But hell it doesn't really matter to you anyways, you will believe whatever already fits your narrative.
    In this case there is not a matter of bias involved, the texts used were from Alexandria and there is no reason for anyone to claim otherwise, I did not claim that wikipedia proved that the Alexandrians were heretics, you on the other hand were attempting to use wikipedia to prove that more Republicans had sex scandals than Democrats, that immediately involves matters of bias and incompleteness etc.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

“We” here are all Texans in spirit...except maybe that Josh fellow...what ever happened to him?
    Not me. I'm Russian in spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

According to Democrats there isn't a difference.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12