Thread: Should I homeschool my kid?

Should I homeschool my kid?

My daughter is just recently diagnosed with Autism. I'm considering on homeschooling her because I'm afraid that she might get bullied by other kids. Also, I'm paying so much for her therapy sessions, treatments, etc. that I'm not sure if I can add school expenses to that. What do you think I should do?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Depends on your situation. Do you have the time to do it? Are you currently using the school system as a nanny? Are you married with a spouse that can bring home the bacon while you devote 100% of your time to your child? If so would your complete attention save enough over your therapy sessions ect. if you devoted yourself full time to it? If you are with a partner could something be worked out in your working schedule in which you could each take different shifts and cover for each other for the benefit of your child?

New Senate tax bill allows 529 plans to be used on K-12 private schools and homeschooling expenses which is nice if it sticks.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanell.../#7d5001c66c45
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

I work from home so I do have time to homeschool my child. Although her therapist is suggesting that I should also do parent counseling because being a parent of a child with autism is no joke. And I just realize that I have a relative who is a dean at a university and he is also homeschooling his kids. I will reconnect with him and ask him for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by alivecream View Post
    I work from home so I do have time to homeschool my child. Although her therapist is suggesting that I should also do parent counseling because being a parent of a child with autism is no joke. And I just realize that I have a relative who is a dean at a university and he is also homeschooling his kids. I will reconnect with him and ask him for advice.
    Personally I think you answered that question incorrectly. If you are going to homeschool your child, then realize that THAT will be your primary job.

I have two friends that have children with autism. I will try and ask their advise for you. Ron Paul has a home school curriculum. And am not sure if it applies to your case. https://www.ronpaulcurriculum.com/pu...partment58.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by alivecream View Post
    My daughter is just recently diagnosed with Autism. I'm considering on homeschooling her because I'm afraid that she might get bullied by other kids. Also, I'm paying so much for her therapy sessions, treatments, etc. that I'm not sure if I can add school expenses to that. What do you think I should do?
    First of all, Hi. I have gone through this journey already and even posted the exact same OP a few years ago. I was trying to decide whether or not to homeschool my son (now 8) who has special needs (2E or Twice Exceptional.... that's a whole other topic).

My wife and I decided on homeschooling and it has been the best decision of our lives. It is difficult and takes courage and responsibility. It is so much easier to hand your kids over to 'the village' versus shouldering the burden (privilege?) of educating your own children. People often say that the problem with public school is that parents aren't involved enough. What could be more parent involved than parent LED!?

If you go this route, it will require sacrifice and effort. You will have to decide what style of homeschooler you are (traditional, Christian, classical, Charlotte Mason, Waldorf, unschooler, eclectic, etc.) We are Waldorf homeschoolers and use a curriculum called Live Education. I would suggest you look at it as it perfect for children with autism and special needs. It is very gentle and beautiful.

I agree with you that you are putting your daughter at risk in a public school setting. Homeschooling is hard and stressful, but I would argue not nearly as stressful as 'hoping and praying' that others take the care and consideration that YOU demand for your children. Please PM me or post here more if you would like to discuss. I am really a fierce homeschool dad and advocate now. I believe homeschooling is the future as public schools and traditional methods of instruction are wholly insufficient for the needs of the 21st century.

Good luck and trust your instincts.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

I agree with what was said above and will add:

Home schooling is a must if you want the family to work as a team. Outside schooling tends to turn the children against the parents.

This is my own opinion from observations on how families I know interact.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.