Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Homeless Rates Rise First Time In A Decade: Entirely West Coast Problem

US Homeless Rates Rise First Time In A Decade: Entirely West Coast Problem

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-num...ets-1512595311

https://apnews.com/47662ad74baf4bb09...ess-population

But before Zipster chimes in with some anti-Trump rhetoric, I'd like to point out that the East Coast actually decreased their homelessness rates, while flyover country maintained a level number. The increases are entirely on the west coast, suggesting that something is very, very wrong with their liberal policies.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    From the report:

City officials, homeless advocates and those living on the streets point to a main culprit: the region’s booming economy .

Rents have soared beyond affordability for many lower-wage workers who until just a just few years ago could typically find a place to stay. Now, even a temporary setback can be enough to leave them out on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post

But before Zipster chimes in with some anti-Trump rhetoric, I'd like to point out that the East Coast actually decreased their homelessness rates, while flyover country maintained a level number. The increases are entirely on the west coast, suggesting that something is very, very wrong with their liberal policies.
    Liberal policies, open borders zealots and the Silicon Valley CEO's that don't give a damn about investing in their communities or hiring the people in the communities for which they are located. Importing foreign slave labor is their number one priority so no surprise they do not give a damn about homeless Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    From the report:
    City officials, homeless advocates and those living on the streets point to a main culprit: the region’s booming economy .

Rents have soared beyond affordability for many lower-wage workers who until just a just few years ago could typically find a place to stay. Now, even a temporary setback can be enough to leave them out on the streets.
    It's a government caused crisis, a free market would have prevented it.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It's a government caused crisis, a free market would have prevented it.
    What would a free-market solution to homelessness be? People are homeless for different reasons. Some lost their jobs or faced another tragedy in their lives. Some are mentally ill. Some are addicted to drugs or alcohol. Can you find a home for everybody?

What would a free-market solution to homelessness be? People are homeless for different reasons. Some lost their jobs or faced another tragedy in their lives. Some are mentally ill. Some are addicted to drugs or alcohol. Can you find a home for everybody?
    Don't move the goalposts, THIS crisis as opposed to all homelessness is the subject.

A free market would have allowed many more homes to be built and kept rents/purchase costs down.

There are many other ways that liberal government contributes to the problem as well.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Don't move the goalposts, THIS crisis as opposed to all homelessness is the subject.

A free market would have allowed many more homes to be built and kept rents/purchase costs down.

There are many other ways that liberal government contributes to the problem as well.
    So there is lots of space in Los Angeles where they can build enough homes for everybody who wants one. We just need to let them be built.

West Coast.

Best weather, best tweak, best welfare.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    From the report:
    City officials, homeless advocates and those living on the streets point to a main culprit: the region’s booming economy
    Dumb things liberals say.

So there is lots of space in Los Angeles where they can build enough homes for everybody who wants one. We just need to let them be built.
    Specifically, the laws against building up has created a housing shortage as well as a traffic nightmare.

Here's an article about a different problem: bureaucrats.

Despite soaring demand for housing in the Bay Area, the city hasn’t approved any new development projects in more than five years.
    ....many of those local governments have made it even more difficult to build new housing.
    More than two-thirds of California’s coastal communities have adopted measures — such as caps on population or housing growth, or building height limits — aimed at limiting residential development,
    Last edited by angelatc; 12-06-2017 at 09:51 PM.

I dont,know about the east coast, but over here there are a $#@!load of people who would rather live in homeless camps and panhandle then work to support themselves.

And the liberal idiots around here give them enough that they can do it.

Well, thank goodness the L.A. government is returning the tiny homes, built by the free market and caring individuals, they confiscated after being excoriated for it.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...421-story.html

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I dont,know about the east coast, but over here there are a $#@!load of people who would rather live in homeless camps and panhandle then work to support themselves.

Perhaps some just got tired of beating their heads against a wall due to government licensing, taxing, ordinancing and legislating them into a situation where they just said "$#@! it, In the "Land of the Free" I have more freedom living in the shadows than I do living a "normal" life?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoning

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Perhaps some just got tired of beating their heads against a wall due to government licensing, taxing, ordinancing and legislating them into a situation where they just said "$#@! it, In the "Land of the Free" I have more freedom living in the shadows than I do living a "normal" life?"
    I know plenty of those, but they aren't standing on corners with a "please help me" sign not willing to work for anything at all. It's a epidemic around here. I've seen them fight for exclusive rights to the best off ramps.

Homelessness is way under-reported! Multi-genrational households skyrocketing. Too many addicts bunking with friends. Lot of people with outstanding warrants but can't get arrested cuz the Police can't find them.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    From the report:
    Personally I do not believe that . I doubt these homeless are employed.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post

Thats how I see it .

Probably little that can be done for the mentally ill . The other major disease is laziness . No help should be given for that .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Probably little that can be done for the mentally ill . The other major disease is laziness . No help should be given for that .
    This^^^^

The class warfare won't stop until we are all dependent on the state. The government terrorists hate us because we are free. These are the victims of corporate welfare, debt monetization and our never-ending war spending.

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    West Coast.

Best weather, best tweak, best welfare.

It IS easier to be homeless where you don't have to worry much about the weather.

The free market solution to homelessness and poverty is to have ways for poor people to accumulate wealth through property ownership. That will never happen until property owners are truly free to do what they want with what they own. Property values grow over time, and even a tiny lot would be worth more in a year or so.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    The free market solution to homelessness and poverty is to have ways for poor people to accumulate wealth through property ownership. That will never happen until property owners are truly free to do what they want with what they own. Property values grow over time, and even a tiny lot would be worth more in a year or so.
    Should we then offer property for free to homeless people? If they are poor, how do they acquire property? If the value of property always goes up, don't you reach a point where not everybody can afford it?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Yup, this.

Why kill yourself supporting an entire system that hates you?

It IS easier to be homeless where you don't have to worry much about the weather.
    Zip, this isn't a good thread for ya. Alaska is right there on the top 10 list.

Alaska was one of the declining states.

Should we then offer property for free to homeless people? If they are poor, how do they acquire property? If the value of property always goes up, don't you reach a point where not everybody can afford it?
    No. You don't give anything away. You allow people to purchase a very small unit of housing at a very low rate. I have suggested some options other places, but nobody seems to have any ideas how to do it. I think without the regulations and whatever, tiny 1/8th shares could be zoned for whatever people wanted to put there as long as they had a mailbox and lived there permanently. Means testing would be helpful so rich developers didn't price the poor out of the market. I think some empty schools could be converted and sold as units. The main thing is that they would have to be near transportation.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    No. You don't give anything away. You allow people to purchase a very small unit of housing at a very low rate. I have suggested some options other places, but nobody seems to have any ideas how to do it. I think without the regulations and whatever, tiny 1/8th shares could be zoned for whatever people wanted to put there as long as they had a mailbox and lived there permanently. Means testing would be helpful so rich developers didn't price the poor out of the market. I think some empty schools could be converted and sold as units. The main thing is that they would have to be near transportation.
    "A very low rate"- so government subsidized housing? If they are homeless, they are also most likely unemployed. How do they pay for any payments or upkeep on the property? They are trying to figure out where their next meal is coming from.

Means testing would be helpful so rich developers didn't price the poor out of the market.
    So below market prices. Many cities do have low income housing programs already.

Homesteading doesn't work very well in large cities.

Getting a job and a place to live certainly help. They assume a person is also willing and able to change how they are living.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-08-2017 at 06:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast