Thread: Math, Algebra And Geometry Promote ‘White Privilege’

Math, Algebra And Geometry Promote ‘White Privilege’

A University of Illinois math professor believes that algebra and geometry perpetuate “white privilege” because Greek terms give Caucasians unearned credit for the subject.

But that isn’t the professor’s only complaint. She also believes that evaluations for math proficiency perpetuates discrimination against minority students, if they do worse than their white counterparts.

Rochelle Gutierrez argues in a newly published math education book for teachers that they must be aware of the identity politics surrounding the subject of mathematics.

“On many levels, mathematics itself operates as Whiteness,” she argues with complete sincerity, according to Campus Reform. “Who gets credit for doing and developing mathematics, who is capable in mathematics, and who is seen as part of the mathematical community is generally viewed as White.”
    Gutierrez argues that subjects like algebra and geometry, which relate to arithmetic, also perpetuate racism and white privilege. She worries that “curricula emphasizing terms like Pythagorean theorem and pi perpetuate a perception that mathematics was largely developed by Greeks and other Europeans.”

Gutierrez claims that the importance of math skills in the real world also places what she calls an “unearned privilege” for those who are good at it. Because most math teachers in the United States are white, white people stand to benefit from their grasp of the subject disproportionate to members of other races.

“Are we really that smart just because we do mathematics?” she asks, raising the question as to why math professors get more grants than “social studies or English” professors.

“If one is not viewed as mathematical, there will always be a sense of inferiority that can be summoned,” she says, claiming that minorities “have experienced microaggressions from participating in math classrooms… [where people are] judged by whether they can reason abstractly.”

To resolve the intelligence gap, Gutierrez calls on math professors to develop a sense of “political conocimiento,” a Spanish term for “political knowledge for teaching.”

She concludes her argument with the claim that all knowledge is “relational,” or is, in other words, relative. “Things cannot be known objectively; they must be known subjectively.”

Ian Miles Cheong is a journalist and outspoken media critic. You can reach him through social media at @stillgray on Twitter and on Facebook.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How in the world did someone as immensely stupid as this airhead ever get to be a professor?

Oh, right...she's in the College of Education, not the Math Department.

She concludes her argument with the claim that all knowledge is “relational,” or is, in other words, relative. “Things cannot be known objectively; they must be known subjectively.”
    A claim whose self-contradictory nature is blatantly apparent to everyone except the idiot who uttered it.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

What about Muslim privilege? There are a few apologists on the forum who excuse the Islamic conquest because they came up with the numeral zero.

Weird, just weird.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

White Privilege? Really? Does this loon know it takes math to issue her undeserved paycheck?
    Last edited by euphemia; 12-06-2017 at 09:37 AM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    How in the world did someone as immensely stupid as this airhead ever get to be a professor?
    Oh, right...she's in the College of Education, not the Math Department.
    That is the leftist cult privilege speaking. Once you're fully indoctrinated into the leftist cult, logic, reason, sanity, are no longer important. In fact they are a detriment.
    You can spout mad hatter level nonsense and still get paid in a cushy teaching job in academia - leftist privilege.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

If we all drop to the level of understanding of the lowest common denominator, progress grinds to a halt for everyone. Good luck princess...
    For a quick laugh, drop by youtube and search for African airplane. Aircraft engineering is raciss as well...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Did she type that on a computer? In a building? That she needed to use an elevator???

Come on!!!!!
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    That is the leftist cult privilege speaking. Once you're fully indoctrinated into the leftist cult, logic, reason, sanity, are no longer important. In fact they are a detriment.
    You can spout mad hatter level nonsense and still get paid in a cushy teaching job in academia - leftist privilege.
    Leftist privilege?... I've never heard that term dropped on MSM.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    And w/o one functioning brain cell. Sounds like she needs some real edumacation:

Now it appears that the Babylonians invented trigonometry, almost 1,000 years before Pythagoras was born.

University of New South Wales mathematicians Daniel Mansfield and Norman Wildberger discovered this after a breakthrough analysis of an ancient cuneiform tablet, written between 1822-1762 BCE in the Babylonian city of Larsa. Long a mystery, the tablet shows three columns of numbers. Describing their work in Historica Mathematica, the researchers call the tablet "a trigonometric table of a completely unfamiliar kind and... ahead of its time by thousands of years."
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...-trigonometry/

The "Kerala school," a little-known group of scholars and mathematicians in fourteenth century India, identified the "infinite series" — one of the basic components of calculus — around 1350.

"The beginnings of modern maths is usually seen as a European achievement but the discoveries in medieval India between the fourteenth and sixteenth centuries have been ignored or forgotten," he said. "The brilliance of Newton's work at the end of the seventeenth century stands undiminished — especially when it came to the algorithms of calculus.
    "But other names from the Kerala School, notably Madhava and Nilakantha, should stand shoulder to shoulder with him as they discovered the other great component of calculus — infinite series."
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    What about Muslim privilege? There are a few apologists on the forum who excuse the Islamic conquest because they came up with the numeral zero.
    Actually, Muslims did not come up with the numeral zero. They borrowed it from the Hindus. Europeans, in turn, borrowed it from the Arabs. Whence, the "Arabic" or "Hindu-Arabic" number system used today by just about everyone.

Specifically, the Persian (i.e., Iranian - i.e., not Arabian) scholar and engineer al-Khwarizmi wrote On the Calculation with Hindu Numerals, which introduced the Hindu numeral system to Arabs/Muslims. (Side note #1: al-Khwarizmi's name was latinized as "Algoritmi" from which we get the word "algorithm.")

This system was then transmitted to Christian Europe in the Middle Ages (primarily by way of Moorish/Saracenic Spain), where it was later popularized by Leonardo of Pisa (a.k.a. Leonardo Fibonacci, he of the famous "Fibonacci sequence") in his text Liber Abaci ("Book of Calculation"). Prior to Fibonacci's seminal work, the cumbersome Roman numerals (which had no symbol for zero) were used by European mathematicians. (Side note #2: Fibonacci's Liber Abaci also introduced the use of the decimal point.)
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 12-06-2017 at 03:23 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

I am literally shaking right now.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

The Obama's have black privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Actually, Muslims did not come up with the numeral zero. They borrowed it from the Hindus. Europeans, in turn, borrowed it from the Arabs. Whence, the "Arabic" or "Hindu-Arabic" number system used today by just about everyone.

Specifically, the Persian (i.e., Iranian - i.e., not Arabian) scholar and engineer al-Khwarizmi wrote On the Calculation with Hindu Numerals, which introduced the Hindu numeral system to Arabs/Muslims. (Side note #1: al-Khwarizmi's name was latinized as "Algoritmi" from which we get the word "algorithm.")

This system was then transmitted to Christian Europe in the Middle Ages (primarily by way of Moorish/Saracenic Spain), where it was later popularized by Leonardo of Pisa (a.k.a. Leonardo Fibonacci, he of the famous "Fibonacci sequence") in his text Liber Abaci ("Book of Calculation"). Prior to Fibonacci's seminal work, the cumbersome Roman numerals (which had no symbol for zero) were used by European mathematicians. (Side note #2: Fibonacci's Liber Abaci also introduced the use of the decimal point.)
    Wow! Most of the world is privileged!

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    If we all drop to the level of understanding of the lowest common denominator, progress grinds to a halt for everyone. Good luck princess...
    For a quick laugh, drop by youtube and search for African airplane. Aircraft engineering is raciss as well...
    Racist
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    These kids in school today do not even wear pants in winter . I never thought of Algebra as white Priv but I guess if Danke was a student today standing in class in his boxers it would make him look extra white . Personally I always thought of algebra like dental extractions , something to be avoided if possible .

This guy might disagree. Oh, and he is black and one of my personal heroes.

1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    These kids in school today do not even wear pants in winter . I never thought of Algebra as white Priv but I guess if Danke was a student today standing in class in his boxers it would make him look extra white . Personally I always thought of algebra like dental extractions , something to be avoided if possible .
    meh, my 1st grader figured out the answers to the algebraic equation bonus questions on his recent math quiz. And he had never specifically been taught it. It always just made sense to me as well.

edit: also this story was posted over a month ago: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...hite-Privilege
    Last edited by specsaregood; 12-06-2017 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by axiomata View Post
    Racist
    If it's racist to desire for every child to be educated according to his or her ability instead of everybody being held to the lowest standard in the classroom to avoid offending someone, then so be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Math is a means of representing reality, what the SJWs can't handle is reality.

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    If it's racist to desire for every child to be educated according to his or her ability instead of everybody being held to the lowest standard in the classroom to avoid offending someone, then so be it.
    No, it's racist to use math jargon like 'lowest common denominator' ... some people can't understand mathspeak.

Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

I wonder why he left out Trigonometry.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I wonder why he left out Trigonometry.
    He probably is ignorant of it's existence.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    He probably is ignorant of it's existence.
    And doing so would probably mean he was going off on a tangent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    And doing so would probably mean he was going off on a tangent.