Thread: In final act, Cordray blocks Trump from naming his successor at consumer protection bureau

In final act, Cordray blocks Trump from naming his successor at consumer protection bureau

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...english-259612

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Director Richard Cordray on Friday appointed the agency’s chief of staff, Leandra English, as the CFPB’s deputy director, establishing her as his successor when he steps down at the end of the day.

The move appears designed to thwart any move by President Donald Trump to name another temporary official to head the controversial agency. Trump has been reported to be considering White House Budget Director Mick Mulvaney for the role.

The 2010 Dodd-Frank Act, which created the CFPB, explicitly says the consumer bureau's deputy director shall "serve as acting Director in the absence or unavailability of the Director."

Trump will likely now have to nominate someone who must be confirmed by the Senate before he can oust English.

Cordray's chess move is the latest drama to engulf an agency that Republicans have targeted since its inception. GOP lawmakers and business executives argue that the consumer bureau regulates through enforcement rather than rulemaking and that its single director has unconstitutional power.

In deciding to leave at the end of the day today, Cordray is speeding up his original timetable of departing at the end of the month, which he announced on Nov. 15.

"Upon my departure, [English] will become the acting Director pursuant to section 1011(b)(5) of the Dodd-Frank Act," Cordray said in a note to staff.

"In considering how to ensure an orderly succession for this independent agency, I determined that it would be best to avoid leaving this key position filled only in an acting capacity," he added. "In consultation over the past few days, I have also come to recognize that appointing the current chief of staff to the deputy director position would minimize operational disruption and provide for a smooth transition given her operational expertise."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This piece of $#@! department should be abolished.

They are literally a shake-down unit funneling cash to the DNC with no Congressional oversight or accountability. Only Zippy would cheer this.

Trump will likely now have to nominate someone who must be confirmed by the Senate before he can oust English.
    Good thing he has the Senate.

Another dumb thread from Politico? Again?

Damn chief; at least bring the original Zip for a tag team or something.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Another dumb thread from Politico? Again?

Damn chief; at least bring the original Zip for a tag team or something.
    I started +repping RepGuy to help Zippy achieve the highly coveted top spot.

more editorial fiction
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Mulvaney is perfect. Says the department is a "sick, sad joke and shouldn't exist."

And Elizabeth Warren gives a ringing endorsement, which makes it all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    I started +repping RepGuy to help Zippy achieve the highly coveted top spot.

LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.